Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
I just heard a rumor that some beautiful and likely crazy bastard has ran a line connecting two sunken coast guard cutters that are a about 1000 yards apart. The sand should be around 130 there. Needless to say me and some other divers have set up an expedition. One guy is lending me his extra scooter so we can conserve gas during this traverse. I imagine the hardest part is going to be finding where he tied the line off at.

I've wanted to do this for years and apparently someone else had the idea as well. We haven't done our gas planning yet, but ill probably do something to effect of double steel 108s with 27% and two deco cylinders of 50% and 100%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
Been reading through this thread and having a blast. Been diving for a couple years, currently PADI AOW, probably step up to Rescue in a year or two, DM possibly after.

Here are some photos from my wife and I's last trip to the Bahamas.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
Nice pics! Is that wreck just off of Freeport on grand Bahama? It looks damned familiar.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

If I dig out my logbook and compare to the photo date I could tell you the name of the dive site, but I'm completely blanking right now. Was there for a week and pretty much every day had a wreck of some sort.

Also, learning a lot from the discussions. It's been mentioned before but the book Diver Down is great at waking you up and keeping you alert, as are some of the horror stories people are sharing here.

Luckily, I've never witnessed anything too stupid, but one thing I haven't really seen mentioned in here is the PADI Resort Course. Don't do it, I've been to a couple Caribbean resorts and I'd estimate the success rate (actually getting through the the first OW dive without freaking out) is around 50% and the amount of people you saw the next day probably dropped to around 25%. Seems a waste a time and money, not to mention those people will probably have a terrible impression of diving afterwards.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

East gales to 35 kt. Wind waves 17 ft. Scattered showers.

Its time to DIVE
Cru Jones,

Wait till the day you see a diver by themself.. knowing if they panic and drag you to the surface it would kill you.. You make the choice in your brain to not go to them and help them.. The guy survived so it was right choice but at some point what is the cost? I breathe water as good as he does, my body experiences the same partial pressure laws as his does :(

I still wrestle with the decision I made that day.. If he had died..

Note: The diver I saw was breathing hard, lost, likely did not see me, narked etc.

macado
Jun 3, 2003

How to keep an idiot busy, Click here.
On a side note, I will be doing my first official trimix dive this Saturday if weather holds. Wreck is about 160fsw at deck and 170fsw in the sand. I've done this wreck previously on air and deco'd with 50%. I'm curious how much more of the wreck I will remember with helium. I'll report back as long as I don't die :-)

I'm diving it with 21/35, deco with 50% and 100%.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

Cru Jones posted:

luckily, I've never witnessed anything too stupid, but one thing I haven't really seen mentioned in here is the PADI Resort Course. Don't do it, I've been to a couple Caribbean resorts and I'd estimate the success rate (actually getting through the the first OW dive without freaking out) is around 50% and the amount of people you saw the next day probably dropped to around 25%. Seems a waste a time and money, not to mention those people will probably have a terrible impression of diving afterwards.

Doing a discover scuba course while on vacation is a notoriously bad idea. Resorts abroad can be incredibly lax about these courses and its basically " here's some assembled gear, don't stray from the dive master". If the discover scuba experience is taught well it can be a fantastic experience, but that's not usually the case when its used as a money making gig off of tourists. If you go through a dive shop stateside, you probably won't get to do it in a beautiful coral reef, but you'll get some actual instruction and an overall better experience.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

Cru Jones posted:

but one thing I haven't really seen mentioned in here is the PADI Resort Course. Don't do it, I've been to a couple Caribbean resorts and I'd estimate the success rate (actually getting through the the first OW dive without freaking out) is around 50% and the amount of people you saw the next day probably dropped to around 25%. Seems a waste a time and money, not to mention those people will probably have a terrible impression of diving afterwards.

You are missing the point of what is happening there. First, it's not a course of any kind. People are just paying money to try diving, including plenty of people who are not actually sure if they really want to try diving. We take them and they figure out if it is for them. There's no license, and no training involved.

There is no 'next day' of diving, nor a second dive, except for people who pay separately for the second dive, pay separately for the second day. So of course most don't make the second dive, and very few go a second day.

I take a thousand people a year on intro dives, and I have about an 75-80% rate. And that is just fine. If it's fun for them, then it is. But plenty of people face the water and burst out in tears, and so of course they should not be, and don't go, diving. Those that go get to see fish straight away, those that don't just gave it a shot and head back t the beach to lay out some more.

It't the opposite of a waste of time since all the time is spent diving. NO classroom, usually no pool work, just show up go diving.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

macado posted:

On a side note, I will be doing my first official trimix dive this Saturday if weather holds. Wreck is about 160fsw at deck and 170fsw in the sand. I've done this wreck previously on air and deco'd with 50%. I'm curious how much more of the wreck I will remember with helium. I'll report back as long as I don't die :-)

I'm diving it with 21/35, deco with 50% and 100%.

Have fun being a science experiment!

I run 18/45 at my normal dive now just as it makes it easier to breathe.. And I swear its like I am on hyperfocus mode its odd. But my narcotic level is 1.6atm of nitrogen at best LOL

Helium is awesome :)

StopShootingMe
Jun 8, 2004

I can't believe I spent $5 on this title.
I'm looking at doing a TDI Sidemount intro course, I'm curious to try sidemount because I'm thinking of buying my own gear, and I don't want to buy a BCD, BP&W or whatever until I've tried some stuff first. I am interested in trying cave diving once I've gotten some more experience, so sidemount may come in handy there. Dunno, at least I get a bunch of dives out of the course.

Anyone here dive/dived sidemount and care to share their thoughts?

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

pupdive posted:

You are missing the point of what is happening there. First, it's not a course of any kind. People are just paying money to try diving, including plenty of people who are not actually sure if they really want to try diving. We take them and they figure out if it is for them. There's no license, and no training involved.

There is no 'next day' of diving, nor a second dive, except for people who pay separately for the second dive, pay separately for the second day. So of course most don't make the second dive, and very few go a second day.

I take a thousand people a year on intro dives, and I have about an 75-80% rate. And that is just fine. If it's fun for them, then it is. But plenty of people face the water and burst out in tears, and so of course they should not be, and don't go, diving. Those that go get to see fish straight away, those that don't just gave it a shot and head back t the beach to lay out some more.

It't the opposite of a waste of time since all the time is spent diving. NO classroom, usually no pool work, just show up go diving.

The places I've seen this were Sandals resorts, where diving is free as part of your stay as long as you're certified. So if you do the discover scuba you can dive the whole time you're there, no extra charge. Talking to them on the ride out they always seemed to every intention of diving multiple times during their stay. Right until they take the stride off the boat and come up thrashing. My instructor had always talked about that classic panicked diver response, throwing off the mask, spitting out the regulator, thrashing about. I thought it might been a little hyperbole until you see multiple people do it over a week. I think the idea of low-barrier of entry to try scuba is fantastic under an instructor, but from my limited experience it looks like it would turn people off based on lack of confidence/bad experience.

To contribute another pic, not mine but taken by a professional photographer on the dive with us who was kind enough to share his photos. Taken right before this friendly fellow chomped down on his housing, severing the strobe cable and leaving some impressive bite/scrape marks on the metal camera housing. Witnessed the whole thing from about 10 feet above. Can I count that as seeing a shark attack?

EDIT: lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes.

Cru Jones fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 23, 2013

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

Cru Jones posted:

The places I've seen this were Sandals resorts, where diving is free as part of your stay as long as you're certified. So if you do the discover scuba you can dive the whole time you're there, no extra charge. Talking to them on the ride out they always seemed to every intention of diving multiple times during their stay. Right until they take the stride off the boat and come up thrashing. My instructor had always talked about that classic panicked diver response, throwing off the mask, spitting out the regulator, thrashing about. I thought it might been a little hyperbole until you see multiple people do it over a week. I think the idea of low-barrier of entry to try scuba is fantastic under an instructor, but from my limited experience it looks like it would turn people off based on lack of confidence/bad experience.

I guess the thing is that most people doing this are doing it because it's free, not because they have a lifelong desire to dive. The idea of diving is one thing the fact of diving (not being able to breathe through the nose, and water getting in your eyes, etc. etc.) is another. Snorkeling is there for those people who cannot really handle diving, as is SeaWalker. Hiking in nature is another activity that many people claim to be gung-ho for, that ends up not being something they do. As are most physical activites for that matter. Yes when they suddenly give up on diving, some end up panicking because tanks are heavy and there is no place to stand. But they have already given up at that point, so it is not like it is the reason they gave up. It is a result of giving up (and acting inappropriately). The ocean is not forgiving whether someone is an intro diver or a pro.

I don't teach people how to dive for free, and I don't take them diving for free, because without financial commitment, most people are not committed. And your experience bears that out. People who have dropped several hundred dollars on a course are not going to give up right away even if they are terrified. They are going to try it out.

You are seeing it as being a bad experience, but that's missing two things: One, it is giving people who simply would not ever try diving a chance to try it, and Two, it has some people so turned on by it that they sign straight up for a certification course (which is why intro diving is offered for free at some locations).

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

StopShootingMe posted:

I'm looking at doing a TDI Sidemount intro course, I'm curious to try sidemount because I'm thinking of buying my own gear, and I don't want to buy a BCD, BP&W or whatever until I've tried some stuff first. I am interested in trying cave diving once I've gotten some more experience, so sidemount may come in handy there. Dunno, at least I get a bunch of dives out of the course.

Anyone here dive/dived sidemount and care to share their thoughts?

I will quote some stuff here from the dutch forums.

http://www.duikforum.nl/duiken-algemeen/47429-ow-side-mount-duiken-zin-onzin-3.html

- Independent tanks, NEVER more than half lost your gas
* But you lose 50% of you gas straight with a failure.

- View on what exactly is going on with a leak
* a buddy can do this for you.

- Single tanks are available everywhere duplicates not everywhere
- Easy to get to the water
* But a single tank is even easier.

- Pleasant attitude in the water, more movement in your back
* But that is personal.

- If you use SM instead of single tank: more gas

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent
Speaking of tec-ish stuff, i saw a video on youtube from Dive Rite about a more streamlined setup with the backup 2nd stage on a necklace and the primary on a slightly longer hose and with a 90-degree bend. The SPG hose is also shorter.

Basically this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSKGKG-8zRA

This setup appeals to me as the more i dive the more i'm finding my current "standard" OW/recreational setup to be irritating with all the hoses hanging, but not so radical as looping a 5" hose around my torso/neck ala tec style. I'm planning on switching to miflex hoses this weekend and was discussing the hose lengths/changing of the setup with my buddy but he advised getting some training (i guess the GUE fundies or some other intro to tec course) before trying out something new, although i'm definitely getting a short hose for the spg.

From what i'm seeing it would be a case of practicing new air sharing drills to get used to handing off my primary, which is something i can do at the start of my next dive (i'll be diving with a good friend whom i've never dived with before and would like to take some time to run over some drills with her anyway). What else am i missing here? Am i taking a change like this too lightly or is my buddy being abit too cautious or perhaps it's abit of both?

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

raffie posted:

Speaking of tec-ish stuff, i saw a video on youtube from Dive Rite about a more streamlined setup with the backup 2nd stage on a necklace and the primary on a slightly longer hose and with a 90-degree bend. The SPG hose is also shorter.

Basically this:

This setup appeals to me as the more i dive the more i'm finding my current "standard" OW/recreational setup to be irritating with all the hoses hanging, but not so radical as looping a 5" hose around my torso/neck ala tec style. I'm planning on switching to miflex hoses this weekend and was discussing the hose lengths/changing of the setup with my buddy but he advised getting some training (i guess the GUE fundies or some other intro to tec course) before trying out something new, although i'm definitely getting a short hose for the spg.

From what i'm seeing it would be a case of practicing new air sharing drills to get used to handing off my primary, which is something i can do at the start of my next dive (i'll be diving with a good friend whom i've never dived with before and would like to take some time to run over some drills with her anyway). What else am i missing here? Am i taking a change like this too lightly or is my buddy being abit too cautious or perhaps it's abit of both?

Many divers change up their hose lengths - just practice in a controlled environment to get comfortable with it and make sure your dive buddy is aware of your setup. You don't need official training for it, that's absurd your buddy is being too cautious.

If you want to streamline it even more, I've dived with buddies who attach the spg hose with bungee/bike tire down the corrugated hose: http://www.philtech.net/kag/single-tank_rig.html

Bangkero fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 23, 2013

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent
Cool thanks. I've already got a siren on the end of the corrugated hose so i'll leave that alone. Last weekend i secured the spg hose to my chest d-ring with a spare retractor, which was better, but the hose is still too drat long. I'll just get a short hose and secure it to the d-ring with a bolt snap.

Sivores
May 25, 2008

All about that bass,
that smooth jazzy bass.
Hey guys so Im a PADI DM and I'm thinking of becoming an underwater welder for the big oil companies and deep sea operations, so how do you think the best way to go about all of that. In addition as some info I have only 50 dives so far since I live in the dead middle of Alaska.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Sivores posted:

Hey guys so Im a PADI DM and I'm thinking of becoming an underwater welder for the big oil companies and deep sea operations, so how do you think the best way to go about all of that. In addition as some info I have only 50 dives so far since I live in the dead middle of Alaska.

How did you get your DM with only 50 dives?! Standard is 60 to certify, at least here it is.

You'll need to start looking into doing a commercial diving course. They're not cheap. The outfit who runs them here in Australia is based in Tasmania.

http://www.theunderwatercentre.com/

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

raffie posted:

Basically this:

Well it depends.
They don't show you the full picture on this youtube movie.

But it is not only the setup but more important the thoughts behind it.
GUE fundies is a course that is not likly easy to do just for your information.
I like GUE and the way they teach but they go way to far for recreational divers I think.http://www.globalunderwaterexplorers.org/content/gue-fundamentals

Just do your dives with a simple rig.

Orions Lord fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 24, 2013

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
I agree.... A dir rig or something like it just makes life more difficult for most divers. I still sometimes get my hoses tangled while getting into/out of it. A BCD that has the bladder in the back will get most of the benefits of a backplate and wing. GUE fundies is a great way to start your diving if you want to do overhead, just don't drink the cool aid too much.

In other news I had to deploy my back up mask for the first time ever today because a lense popped off. I think it must have had a tank sat on it or something and it finally gave out around 140'. Deploying and putting on a backup, then stowing the primary is really easy as long as you stay calm.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Taking a selfie in a scuba rig is harder than it looks.

Here's how i dive for almost every dive i do. All of my hoses are neatly tucked into my body, and nothing dangles more than a few inches away from me, console included. If we're going to be nitpicky, yes my LP inflator hose is a bit too long, but thats a super minor issue. I could also probably get another clip/retractor for my console to keep it higher on my chest, but having it a little low give me some room to pull out out to check my air without completely unclipping it. Carabiner is used to hang onto my mask at the surface/used as a tank banger underwater. All of my slates/lights fit neatly into the pockets (which are stuffed in this picture), and if i need extra storage i have two zeagle pouches that zip onto my wing for extra storage for specialty dives with students. IF i dive with a reel/surface marker buoy it sits under my tank clipped onto a d-ring 100% out of the way. I have no spare dangly poo poo, and everything is where it should be. Also, my zeagle EMT shears sit on my right shoulder strap usually but i took them off for the rescue class.

GUE fundies teaches great scuba techniques, and will make you a better diver technique wise no doubt about it. However, their mentality behind gear i absolutely hate for recreational divers. With any bcd, you can mount your hoses to streamline everything well, you just need a little bit of planning to do it. You don't need a backplate/wing setup to be streamlined in the water.

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent
Thanks for all the input guys, i guess i'll just stick to swapping out for the miflex hoses and just shortening up the spg hose for now.

My buddy is encouraging me to do the GUE fundies course because he's been through it before. The problem here is that only one shop runs the course and only when they have enough interest, which is rarely. Another option is the TDI intro to tec run by another shop i'm comfortable with. I'm not planning on doing overheads or anything like that, i'm just a recreational diver that wants to build up my skills/bouyancy/trim/etc and i doubt i'll be going any further into tec.

The other thing currently holding me back is the whole new bcd/fins thing. I've got less than 20 dives on my knighthawk, which is a back inflate bc anyways but i don't think is acceptable for the fundies course (not sure about the TDI one but i'm guessing not). That's going to mean spending on bp/wing, fins, hoses again and god knows what else.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

I have a BCD with alternate air source and a Suunta D4i w/transmitter. So there's really only one hose to worry about and I keep track of that one because the regulator is generally in my mouth.

I'm not familiar with GUE, but are they teaching better techniques or is it just that it actually forces you to PRACTICE buoyancy and trim, therefore improving your technique?

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
Ok I am going to do my meat injection here on my thoughts.

BP/Wing is very very streamlined and awesome.. you can route hoses as needed through your drings and then clip stuff off to them as needed. Infact my Rebreather is drat near BP/Wing setup with a box on my back.

As evidenced here.

Less clutter you have the easier it is to get to things in emergency. The only long cord I have is what attaches to my camera.

I do the ANTI-DIR with reef hook however my reef hook has a clasp on it that I can squeeze and I am free of it instantly. They are not a traditional clip

http://www.amazon.com/Trident-Stainless-Drift-Release-Master/dp/B000B5I7TA

I use jet fins, I do not use my drysuit for bouyancy, its easy to get in and out of a rig with the military webbing that is rigid that attaches to your wing.

But then again I am not adverse to using a aqualung proqd bcd and or equals. Its all fine what works works :) As I have gone on in diving more and more and morel.. less is more and more is more when you need more. I would rather have slung bottles attached to me and safety sausages. I have 90% of stuff bagged in that photo my reefhook was out of the bag as I thought current was picking up but otherwise its stowed to prevent accidental deployment/snagging. I snag enough crap without that LOL I have caught tanks on the reef in current that sucks..

Ohh and the snorkel? Its saved my bacon a few times LOL

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Cru Jones posted:

EDIT: lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes.

Just chiming in to say I love this shark picture.

Lately I've been thinking about diving safety. Is there a course where all I do is practise things like mask clearing, switching to other regs / buddy regs, etc? I hear people say things like "grab their reg out of their mouth" and such and I don't think that's how I'd react to needing someone else's air. If there's no specific course for it I'm thinking I'll just hire a dm or di from my lds to do it with me at one point until I feel comfortable if something goes wrong.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Aquila posted:

Just chiming in to say I love this shark picture.

Lately I've been thinking about diving safety. Is there a course where all I do is practise things like mask clearing, switching to other regs / buddy regs, etc? I hear people say things like "grab their reg out of their mouth" and such and I don't think that's how I'd react to needing someone else's air. If there's no specific course for it I'm thinking I'll just hire a dm or di from my lds to do it with me at one point until I feel comfortable if something goes wrong.

Padi run a Scuba review course, which is basically OW lite, designed for qualified but rusty divers. How experienced are you and what cert level are you now?

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Sivores posted:

Also, this need some explanation.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Tomberforce posted:

Padi run a Scuba review course, which is basically OW lite, designed for qualified but rusty divers. How experienced are you and what cert level are you now?

Actually I'm just certified OW in January and have done five dives since.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Aquila posted:

Actually I'm just certified OW in January and have done five dives since.

Ok yeah, normally you wouldn't need a full refresher/scuba review with that profile, but that's probably what most dive shops, at least PADI ones, would recommend anyway.

Taking off my PADI DM hat, do you have any friends who are experienced divers, preferably DM's or instructors? If so, just go out with them on a few shallow dives and ask to practise some skills under their supervision. When you're comfortable, try practising in real diving situations i.e while neutrally buoyant and not plonked on the bottom in a circle. Soon it will become second nature!

macado
Jun 3, 2003

Weather is poo poo this weekend. My Friday and Saturday charters were canceled. I may have to break down and actually go shore diving.

Still out on charters this Sunday and Monday if weather improves.

I posted a couple more videos from North Carolina.

U-352: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVu2-VxpfXw
USCGC Spar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEqFTAOkzao

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
A guy on a dive boat with me yesterday was telling me to do some diving in NC. Now I'm definitely sold! Next time I'm passing through there ill take a day or two to dive. Was the shop you used good?

Bishop fucked around with this message at 10:17 on May 25, 2013

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent
Got my hoses swapped out for miflex ones. Ended up only getting a shorter spg hose and followed the general concensus to leave my setup alone until a later date/i do a course.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

raffie posted:

Basically this:

That's the setup I have and I really like it. I have a proper (7 foot) long hose for my primary 2nd stage, my backup 2nd on a short hose, my SPG (no console, just the gauge) is really quite short and it clips up high and close in on my BC. I don't have anything that dangles below me -- my backup light/safety sausage go into dry suit pockets when they're not in use. Many of the people I dive with use DIR-type setups so it's not new to them, and for those who are unfamiliar with the long hose I just tell them to take the reg out of my mouth like they would probably do in an emergency anyways.

On another note, I spent last weekend diving in Browning Pass and the area around Port Hardy, BC. It astounds me how colorful, vibrant, and spectacular life can be in water that's 45F. I've been up a few times before so many of the sites weren't new experiences, but one in particular where we dove a pinnacle in the middle of Queen Charlotte Strait that led down to a vast field of basket stars, gorgonian corals, and wolf eels, was mind blowing.

This video wasn't from my trip, but from a group that went up two weeks before: http://vimeo.com/65350177

ehnus fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 25, 2013

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

raffie posted:

Got my hoses swapped out for miflex ones. Ended up only getting a shorter spg hose and followed the general concensus to leave my setup alone until a later date/i do a course.
The gently caress??? Seriously, why would you need a course to learn how to use your own OW recreational setup???

Courses aren't about equipment. They're about elevating your diving skills and comfort in the water, or in the case of tech courses, they teach how to dive outside of rec limits (which may require certain specialized equipment). In the end there is no course that will certify you to use your own rec setup, nor will any dive op turn you away for using that setup if it's just a rec dive.

Just practice in a pool until you feel comfortable with it. (But by all means, take a course to elevate your diving game)

edit: VVV ah, that makes perfect sense! carry on. :) VVV

Bangkero fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 25, 2013

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
I think he was saying that he is going to stick with the changes he made unless a new class requires something different. As far as setup goes. My single tank setup is basically exactly what you would get as a rental and it works fine when I use it. Normally 30-60' range and no overhead.

Hell unless you show up with something so atrocious that nobody will dive with you, there are a million ways to set up your tech rig as well.

I had a brilliant dive this morning and was with a guy that a had a camera . i made sure he got my email so expect some underwater ~selfies~ in the next few days, along with some cool shark/eel close encounters at 130' :)

Bishop fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 25, 2013

macado
Jun 3, 2003

Bishop posted:

A guy on a dive boat with me yesterday was telling me to do some diving in NC. Now I'm definitely sold! Next time I'm passing through there ill take a day or two to dive. Was the shop you used good?

I used Discovery Diving and Diver Down Scuba Diving Charters. Captain Bobby Cox of Diver Down is a pretty cool guy. I liked their dive boat a lot. Discovery Diving has 3 boats, including a small six pack boat.

Olympus Diving is the biggest dive shop/charter down there. Sort of a cattle boat but I've heard they run a good operation. Olympus has a really awesome display of all the artifacts that pulled off the U-352, including the deck guns.

Sivores
May 25, 2008

All about that bass,
that smooth jazzy bass.

Tomberforce posted:

How did you get your DM with only 50 dives?! Standard is 60 to certify, at least here it is.

You'll need to start looking into doing a commercial diving course. They're not cheap. The outfit who runs them here in Australia is based in Tasmania.

http://www.theunderwatercentre.com/

Thank you for the info and to be unfathomably honest I had forgotten how many dives I had. Its been awhile since some and I have a lost logbook containing like twelve dives somewhere, anyways you are correct I do indeed have 60. In retrospect I now feel more than a bit stupid. :eng99:

Sivores fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 25, 2013

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Tomberforce posted:

Ok yeah, normally you wouldn't need a full refresher/scuba review with that profile, but that's probably what most dive shops, at least PADI ones, would recommend anyway.

Taking off my PADI DM hat, do you have any friends who are experienced divers, preferably DM's or instructors? If so, just go out with them on a few shallow dives and ask to practise some skills under their supervision. When you're comfortable, try practising in real diving situations i.e while neutrally buoyant and not plonked on the bottom in a circle. Soon it will become second nature!

Well actually I am feeling that my OW course didn't have enough safety stuff. I will probably do what you suggest though. I am thinking of doing my AOW in a few months, maybe I will convince one of the DM's or DMC's from my LDS to come out a day early and help me practice safety stuff.

Note that I don't feel like I'm unsafe in the water, I just think since nothing's really gone wrong on any of my dives I could stand to practice safety stuff more.

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

I was born after Kurt Cobain died. Now you feel old.

Aquila posted:

Well actually I am feeling that my OW course didn't have enough safety stuff. I will probably do what you suggest though. I am thinking of doing my AOW in a few months, maybe I will convince one of the DM's or DMC's from my LDS to come out a day early and help me practice safety stuff.

Note that I don't feel like I'm unsafe in the water, I just think since nothing's really gone wrong on any of my dives I could stand to practice safety stuff more.

If you want to practice some drills as a buddy team I'm always down for a Laguna shore dive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

Crunkjuice posted:

Taking a selfie in a scuba rig is harder than it looks.

Using a standard length hose and an inflator reg will bite you hard in the rear end some day.

You would certainly not be getting in the water as a DM with me with that rig. There is a reason why octo regs have long hoses.