Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

Fucknag posted:

They are, relatively. It's called the TF-39, they produce less than half the thrust of a GE90, and have a lower bypass ratio (8:1 vs 10:1 for the GE90) so the fan is smaller relative to the core. 747s use the similar CF-6, look at the GE90 test 747 to see the size difference:

So why doesn't Boeing outfit two of those on the 747 and call it a day? Aren't they more efficient than its current engines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

OptimusMatrix posted:

So why doesn't Boeing outfit two of those on the 747 and call it a day? Aren't they more efficient than its current engines?

Because a lot of 747 customers buy it because it is 4 engined.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

OptimusMatrix posted:

To throw things out there; for one thing 744 and 767s share engines, 748 and 787 share engines. The engines would probably need to be on different pylon locations for weight distribution. The new plane would be subject to ETOPS.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

To throw things out there; for one thing 744 and 767s share engines, 748 and 787 share engines. The engines would probably need to be on different pylon locations for weight distribution. The new plane would be subject to ETOPS.

Yeah ETOPS would be the big issue here, plus that big an engineering change would probably mean a new type certificate, which means they might as well engineer a new plane. It'll be cool, they'll call it the 777.

ETOPS, by the way is the requirements for 2 Engined planes to be certified for inter-continental flights. It stands for Engine Turns or People Swim. It allows for a 120 minute diversion time.

Wikipedia, which never lies, posted:

On December 12, 2011, Boeing received type-design approval from the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) for up to 330-minute extended operations for its 777 fleet. This certification applies to the 777-200LR, 777-300ER, 777F and 777-200ER equipped with GE engines.[7]

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 22, 2013

Understeer
Sep 14, 2004

Now with more front end grip.
Why Boeing can't stick two GE90s on a 747 and call it a day:

Airliners have to be certified to lose an engine on takeoff and continue to climb. A 747-400 has four engines rated at 60,000 lbs of thrust give or take. If it loses an engine on takeoff, it still has 180,000 lbs of thrust. The highest rated GE90 makes 115,000 lbs of thrust. With only two, if one were lost, the plane would only have... You see why this doesn't work. The GE90 would have to be half again more powerful. You can also see why twins are way overpowered for climb as compared to an equivalently sized quad.

Incidentally, the 777-9X will practically be a direct replacement for the 747-400, so there you go.

SCOTLAND
Feb 26, 2004

Jonny Nox posted:

ETOPS, by the way is the requirements for 2 Engined planes to be certified for inter-continental flights. It stands for Engine Turns or People Swim. It allows for a 120 minute diversion time.

The triple is up to 330 minutes ETOPS now for some operators, which is pretty nuts.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

GE likes to add the "one GE90 can power a 747 in cruise!" everywhere. No poo poo, TO/GA power is what matters.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Understeer posted:

Why Boeing can't stick two GE90s on a 747 and call it a day:

Airliners have to be certified to lose an engine on takeoff and continue to climb. A 747-400 has four engines rated at 60,000 lbs of thrust give or take. If it loses an engine on takeoff, it still has 180,000 lbs of thrust. The highest rated GE90 makes 115,000 lbs of thrust. With only two, if one were lost, the plane would only have... You see why this doesn't work. The GE90 would have to be half again more powerful. You can also see why twins are way overpowered for climb as compared to an equivalently sized quad.

Incidentally, the 777-9X will practically be a direct replacement for the 747-400, so there you go.

Tri-GE90 747's :v:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Bugsmasher posted:

So there is most definitely at C-5 here at Calgary right now (apparently due to a fuel leak in the cargo hold):

C5 D I V 3 R S I O N by Wee in YYC, on Flickr

There was some idle chat about the C-5 at the office this morning; my first statement was, "I'll bet it's here because it's broken." If there's one thing you can put your faith in, it's a C-5 breaking down.

Blistex posted:

Tri-GE90 747's :v:

Something like this then?

Yes, that's a real concept, by the way.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

MrChips posted:

There was some idle chat about the C-5 at the office this morning; my first statement was, "I'll bet it's here because it's broken." If there's one thing you can put your faith in, it's a C-5 breaking down.

Something like this then?

Yes, that's a real concept, by the way.

Except the engine on top would be goddamn near the width of the fuselage and incredibly impractical...Photoshop time!

movax fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 22, 2013

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

In a parallel universe where ETOPS isn't a thing the trijet 747 is probably the backbone of international fleets.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MrChips posted:

What does it mean when you see four C-5s at an airforce base, and three of them are up on jacks?

It means the tool shop ran out of jacks.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
ETOPS won't stop a trijet from becoming the backbone of a fleet. T means "twin" I missed the point

And seriously people; ETOPS prevents twin 747's? It's like this thread has warped to GBS or something. Changing the wing structure to mount a twin, changing the structural dynamics and tuning the harmonics of the structure to mount 2 really big lumps of metal instead of 4 normal-big lumps of metal, then redesigning the high-lift devices and control surfaces for the different air flow is what prevents a 747 twin. Johnny Nox wins an e-cookie for being the only sensible person.

movax posted:

Except the engine on top would be goddamn near the width of the fuselage and incredibly impractical...Photoshop time!

Not really. If you need 3 60klb engines for takeoff on a normal 747, then replacing with 2 GE-115's would mean that in the event of engine out you would only need another 60klb or so, so the tail mounted engine could be a standard CF6. Nobody ever said the engines had to be the same!

vvv... my point exactly. ETOPS doesn't apply to trijets and isn't the thing that prevents them from making a come-back

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 22, 2013

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Captain Postal posted:

ETOPS won't stop a trijet from becoming the backbone of a fleet. T means "twin"

The economics of trijets in an ETOPS world means there's no reason to spend the extra fixed costs on a trijet.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Captain Postal posted:

No poo poo; trijets were everywhere when the minimum allowed over water was 3 engines. With ETOPS twins are everywhere but the heaviest of the heavy routes where economics let the 747 and A380 show up. If single engine airliners showed up tomorrowoand were allowed over water in a decade only FedEx would fly twins.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Captain Postal posted:

ETOPS doesn't apply to trijets and isn't the thing that prevents them from making a come-back

uhhhhhhh

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Captain Postal posted:

And seriously people; ETOPS prevents twin 747's? It's like this thread has warped to GBS or something. Changing the wing structure to mount a twin, changing the structural dynamics and tuning the harmonics of the structure to mount 2 really big lumps of metal instead of 4 normal-big lumps of metal, then redesigning the high-lift devices and control surfaces for the different air flow is what prevents a 747 twin. Johnny Nox wins an e-cookie for being the only sensible person.

Not really. If you need 3 60klb engines for takeoff on a normal 747, then replacing with 2 GE-115's would mean that in the event of engine out you would only need another 60klb or so, so the tail mounted engine could be a standard CF6. Nobody ever said the engines had to be the same!

vvv... my point exactly. ETOPS doesn't apply to trijets and isn't the thing that prevents them from making a come-back

The point isn't that ETOPS outlaws trijets or 747s, it's that ETOPS lets twinjets replace them.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

NightGyr posted:

The point isn't that ETOPS outlaws trijets or 747s, it's that ETOPS lets twinjets replace them.

re-read. Makes more sense now. Please carry on.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Why not put 4 GE90s on a 747?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

drgitlin posted:

Why not put 4 GE90s on a 747?

Be pretty good for pure speed and GTOW (and aerobatics :getin:), but I imagine the thrust and improved fuel consumption would be outweighed by having 4 of them. It would probably drain the tanks faster and thus reduce range, which is a no-go on a long-range hauler.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Triton had it's first flight today.

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2013-05/navys-mq-4c-triton-long-range-maritime-spy-drone-completes-its-first-flight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEuCWJ2qAQY

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Just looking at the design of the Triton in the youtube preview pic - is the head shape and engine placement designed like that to act as a lifting body?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gorilla Salad posted:

Just looking at the design of the Triton in the youtube preview pic - is the head shape and engine placement designed like that to act as a lifting body?

Maybe a bit? Apparently they improved on the Global Hawk design for increase aerodynamics and more efficient engine design. Given that it's based on the Global Hawk with about 10 years more tweaking/development I wouldn't doubt it. The main reason the head is that bulbous is comms equipment. I also know nothing about aero.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

Gorilla Salad posted:

Not as far as I know, just an aerodynamic shape to hold a gigantic satellite antenna.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

I've been looking at this for ages and can't work out what it is. Am I right in thinking it's some kind of UH-60 derivative? I'm not sure which specific one it is though. Some kind of extended range deal?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Vitamins posted:

I've been looking at this for ages and can't work out what it is. Am I right in thinking it's some kind of UH-60 derivative? I'm not sure which specific one it is though. Some kind of extended range deal?

Just a regular UH-60 with wings and extended range tanks. They're modular, can be installed and removed at will.

Also; snow skis.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

MrYenko posted:

Just a regular UH-60 with wings and extended range tanks. They're modular, can be installed and removed at will.

Also; snow skis.

Ah thanks a lot! I had no idea they were modular like that, I thought they just built them to different specs.

It's a very pretty chopper :swoon:

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Can a coffee mug be AI?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

New Stupid Boeing idea:

737, F414 engines.

Only so that we can have the captain come on the intercom and say: "Ladies and Gentlemen this is the captain, in a few seconds we are going to be engaging the afterburners for takeoff, please make sure your seats are in the upright position, and you're holding on tight"

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Jonny Nox posted:

New Stupid Boeing idea:

737, F414 engines.

Only so that we can have the captain come on the intercom and say: "Ladies and Gentlemen this is the captain, in a few seconds we are going to be engaging the afterburners for takeoff, please make sure your seats are in the upright position, and you're holding on tight"

You could even pod them up like the old 737-200!

I miss those old 737s, they had some absolutely unmistakable characteristics, chief among them the sounds they made. The JT8D makes a very distinct whine at idle; the kind of noise you would expect a jet engine to make, unlike the hissing wall of noise the CFM makes. Even better was the roaring crackle they'd make as they made their way down the runway, billowing smoke the whole way.

I guess I could consider myself fortunate, as we still get a smattering of 737 "Jurassic" traffic here at YYC, but nothing like it was 10 years ago when Westjet still had dozens of them.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

MrChips posted:

I guess I could consider myself fortunate, as we still get a smattering of 737 "Jurassic" traffic here at YYC, but nothing like it was 10 years ago when Westjet still had dozens of them.

The northern airlines still use them, like First Air, Canadian North, and Air North, but holy poo poo they are loud, like cover your ears when they taxi by loud.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Good. Jets should be loud n smokey. :black101:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

holocaust bloopers posted:

Good. Jets should be loud n smokey. :black101:

What?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Sorry you're going to have to speak up a bit

D C posted:

The northern airlines still use them, like First Air, Canadian North, and Air North, but holy poo poo they are loud, like cover your ears when they taxi by loud.

We get Canadian North here (they mostly fly workforce charters out of YYC) and the occasional Air North 737-200 (though most of their flights these days are with 737-400s), but it's a far cry from ten years ago.

My favourite of all the loud old jets would have to be the Fokker F28s that Canadian North used to fly here. Seriously, tbose things were louder than a CF-18 on takeoff. Can't tell you how many times I went racing out of the hangar to see the fighter jet takeoff only to be disappointed by one of those little Fokkers. :v:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

The head shape is dictated by the needs of the satellite antenna. I think the dorsal intake is just a passing nod to controlling radar cross-section.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

MrChips posted:

When the C-5's were here at Stewart ANG with the 105th Airlift, we had one drop an engine onto the neighborhood below.

How that loving happened boggles my mind to this day. Stewart was the main maintenance hub for them :psyduck:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

VikingSkull posted:

When the C-5's were here at Stewart ANG with the 105th Airlift, we had one drop an engine onto the neighborhood below.

How that loving happened boggles my mind to this day. Stewart was the main maintenance hub for them :psyduck:

DC-10s have precisely three engine attachment bolts per engine, where it attaches to the spar structure, IIRC. A failure of any one of the three would probably result in separation. They're incredibly strong, and incredibly rigorously tested parts, but, like anything man-made, failures happen. I've heard 777s have one, gently caress-off huge, titanium engine mount bolt. I've not seen one first-hand to confirm, though.

Of course, heres a Kalitta 747 with all the mounting bolts still attached to the spar. Proof that poo poo happens. :v:

Yes, that is part of the casing, still attached to the spar.

MrYenko fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 24, 2013

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

I suppose that's why MIL spec has to be so stringent, to compensate for the monkeys wrenching on them.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
lol engine jettison.

That's gotta be alarming to the crew when poo poo's all happy happy then it's like, "Yo engine 3 dropped off. Literally, it is no longer with us."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

holocaust bloopers posted:

lol engine jettison.

That's gotta be alarming to the crew when poo poo's all happy happy then it's like, "Yo engine 3 dropped off. Literally, it is no longer with us."

Today, we find out what aileron trim is for!