Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

megyem
Nov 6, 2009

skoolmunkee posted:

I didn't even know they had housetraining issues til this thread. What is up with that? That seems weird you have a whole breed that is known for being impossible to housebreak.

From what I've heard, poor breeding has resulted in Italian Greyhounds having weak bladder muscles. On an old IG forum I used to frequent many people had indoor litter boxes lined with pee pads to help prevent accidents. We did this with our first IG and lined a big Rubbermaid container with a cut out entrance with newspaper but eventually we trained him to pee in the shower which was a lot easier to clean up. I can't say I'll ever have an IG again because of their house training issues which is a shame as they have the best personalities. I am definitely a pro at removing carpet stains now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Yeah, our friends' Iggies have issues holding it for very long too. They have a designated "pee corner" upstairs in the master bathroom, with tile floor and absorbent pads laid out for while they're at work. That said, I don't think they have any issues with the dogs eliminating elsewhere in the house, and I don't think peeing in the designated corner happens every day.

My friends got their first two IGs, one male and one female, at a pet store before they knew any better, and their third comes from a good breeder but was the runt of the litter and is very tiny. I think only the two smaller ones have problems holding their bladders, their male is significantly larger than the breed standard. He does have thyroid disease, though, which apparently is common in badly bred IGs? It makes him a little bit chunky, and most of his hair has fallen out, so he feels like he's made of suede.

The teeny tiny one has one leg that's more metal rod than natural bone now, from repeated breaks. The middle-sized one has some kind of inherited issue with her eyes, and problems with her bowels, as well as a permanent kink in her tail from breaking it against a table leg.

They're kind of a wreck, overall. Really marvelous personalities, so it's a shame they have so many issues. It's a good thing my friends have lots of cash to spend on vet bills, that's all I can say.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

I'm pretty sure I said something about dogs needing to eat burgers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rfu1s_8dYg

(I told youtube to edit it so it cuts off after 2 minutes, but the changes haven't taken effect yet)

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

skoolmunkee posted:

(I told youtube to edit it so it cuts off after 2 minutes, but the changes haven't taken effect yet)

Dogs eating burgers should be a spectator sport. I remember getting one for the Pomeranian my family had when I was a teenager. It was half the size she was and she dragged it to her bed and ate it over a period of a couple of hours, during which she didn't move from the bed and growled at anyone that came close, while keeping her mouth clamped around the burger.

I realise now this probably wasn't desirable behaviour, but it was hilarious at the time.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

skoolmunkee posted:

Honestly surprised she ate the bun, do dogs usually like bread?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Kojiro posted:

I'd say I've met more dogs who do like bread than dogs who don't.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Trauma Tank posted:

Dogs eating burgers should be a spectator sport.

Someone should make a thread. Burgers for all dogs.

mincedgreen
Mar 14, 2009
I have an iggy and he is perfectly housebroken! our trick was teaching him to use the cat door (and by teaching, I mean, letting him..)to go out into the fenced backyard.
Over a year old and no broken legs so far! hooray. He has a persistent limp that we are investigating at the moment though - sigh. X-rays showed nothing, anyone have any other ideas? vets are thinking neuro, or spinal, which would be awful.

I love greyhounds but as we have 4 cats - we decided not to at this stage. One day.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Here is the greyhound I am petsitting for the next couple weeks. :3: Her name is Jojo. She is an old retired racer. She is a good dog. And go figure that of all four dogs, she is the least interested in the chickens or cats. She gives no fucks.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

We met this freckly beast this morning to see what our grey thinks thinks of him.

I could not get a good photo of him. Here's his profile pic from the adoption site.

His name is Casey, and was retired from racing when he broke his hock. He was remarkably calm and well-behaved, and he'll be coming home with us in a couple of weeks. Maybe he'll be less camera-shy then and I can get pics of him and Tess together.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

This is Mona:

You can tell she's a bad rear end by her tattoo:

Based on this artist's rendition, we're pretty sure we know what Mona would have done if she wasn't a racer:

Mona is totally cool about meeting horses:

But is afraid of kittens, who are clearly trying and eat her:

Turns out Mona was a terrible racer (only 7 races, most finishing 6th or 7th), so now she leads a hard life, sleeping and stalking the humans:

Mona knows one trick (balancing food on her head):
http://youtu.be/4nTZSX5529A

Edit:

Kojiro posted:

Mona is obsessed with bread - we use it as her high value treat sometimes. A warm pretzel is the only food she's ever jumped up to try and take out of our hands.

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 26, 2013

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

I went to see the greyhound I want to adopt again today. My Mum came with me as we were headed in that direction to do some shopping anyway, and apparently when I left the run/pen thing he was in he turned and kept watching me as I left and stayed like that till I came back. :3:

I wonder if he's already recognizing me and in some way starting to bond(not really the word I want to use, but the closest I can find). He's such a sweet boy, and fantastic when walking too. He doesn't pull at all, and seems to care less about hard-staring the cats and such than when I first saw him.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

You've visited with him a few times, so I'm sure when he sees you he recognizes you. Hsker used to walk some of our friends to the door when they left, but not others - it's definitely a sign that he likes you. :)

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Remind me again why you haven't taken that fella home yet? :]

I have to tell you hoe much my black cat loves Union. She loves har a lot. More than she loves me or any person or maybe even tuna fish. Whenever Union takes a nap, Zoe is usually there to bother her, wanting pets or something. She'll love up on her and be all in her face and eventually settle down next to her. Union doesn't get it though and just tolerates Zoe, until Zoe love bites her and then she leaves. Union is a pretty good tolerater though.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

This thread is making me want a greyhound as my first dog. How prevalent are the bladder issues though?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

various cheeses posted:

This thread is making me want a greyhound as my first dog. How prevalent are the bladder issues though?

That's really only a problem for the Italian Greyhounds, which are the toy breed. Whippets and greyhounds shouldn't have any issues holding it for the length of a normal workday and again through the night.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

RazorBunny posted:

That's really only a problem for the Italian Greyhounds, which are the toy breed. Whippets and greyhounds shouldn't have any issues holding it for the length of a normal workday and again through the night.

Awesome. I just want a big ol skinnydog.

Fake Ken Rockwell
May 13, 2013

Shot in Professional ("P" mode) and Auto ISO, as I and my pro friends always shoot
To add, greyhounds generally love routines, whatever the routine is -- as long as it doesn't change very much, they're happy.

If you adopt a retired racer, they're probably used to a midday turnout. The most painless (for you and the dog) way to break them of this, if necessary, is of course crate training. The good thing is, retired racers already love their crates.

You're getting a huge head start compared to housebreaking a random dog from the shelter, to be honest.

Fake Ken Rockwell fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 2, 2013

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Speaking of greyhounds as first dogs, are they really as good (small) apartment dogs as people advertise them to be? And how much time do they need someone to be around? Between work and extracurriculars my weekdays are somewhat irregular (although I usually do have some time at home between work and activities), and I'm not sure how fair that'd be to a dog.

Are whippets just greyhounds that have been hit by a shrink ray, or are there other differences to them?

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

dupersaurus posted:

Speaking of greyhounds as first dogs, are they really as good (small) apartment dogs as people advertise them to be? And how much time do they need someone to be around? Between work and extracurriculars my weekdays are somewhat irregular (although I usually do have some time at home between work and activities), and I'm not sure how fair that'd be to a dog.

Are whippets just greyhounds that have been hit by a shrink ray, or are there other differences to them?

My whippet was immensely more high-energy than my greyhound and pretty creative about destroying things when left unattended, though we got the grey as a 3-year-old rescue so I'm not sure that's entirely a breed difference. Chase was pretty low-maintenance and would sleep all day except when he was getting taken on a walk, or he saw a horse and went absolutely ballistic.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

skoolmunkee posted:

Remind me again why you haven't taken that fella home yet? :]

I only just moved home this past Thursday into a place where I can have a dog, and I'm still desperately trying to Get Stuff Done. The shelter are okay with holding him for me for a few more weeks, but I plan to bring him home on the 15th of June, as that'll give me time to get everything sorted at both the new place and the old place. I'm getting there, and the idea that I may have him home at the end of next week is pretty drat awesome, I have to say. I've got the home check coming tomorrow, and have some fence panels that I need to at least start putting up before then; some parts of the fences are lower than 6ft and they're asking for at least 6ft all round, because he's tall and has a strong prey drive.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

dupersaurus posted:

The big thing greyhounds want is a routine. When we first got Husker, our work situation gave us a lot of time at home in the evenings, and he actually didn't spend that much of the time interacting with us. He wanted to be in the same room, but after he had gotten his desired amount of attention he would just snooze. Later, we both got jobs with longer commutes, and our time in the evenings was much shorter. This was still fine with him. The key is consistency day to day - if your schedule is wildly different each night of the week, the dog is probably not going to deal with it well. If traffic was really bad and we were 45 minutes late, Husker was very concerned.

Depending on what kind of activities you do in the evenings, you could potentially take the dog with you. They're generally pretty content to pull up a corner and nap while you do your thing, and just going to a different house for a couple of hours is usually enough mental stimulation to last them a few days.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

RazorBunny posted:

The key is consistency day to day - if your schedule is wildly different each night of the week, the dog is probably not going to deal with it well.

This might be a silly question, but how do they deal with weekends?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Trauma Tank posted:

This might be a silly question, but how do they deal with weekends?

It took a while for him to grasp the idea of weekends. Eventually we got to a point where as long as someone got up and took him out to potty, then fed him his breakfast, he was happy enough to come back to bed and let us sleep in for a couple more hours. If we didn't mess with breakfast and dinner times, he was cool with weekends being a little off from the normal routine. But holy poo poo if you tried to change mealtimes, you are talking one seriously worried pooch. Even feeding him early seemed to make him uncomfortable if it was by too wide a margin.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

As always, it also depends on the particular dog. Ours handles changes in routine pretty well. We take her on vacation with us, and she doesn't have any trouble adjusting to a hotel/cabin/new house , and being on a weird schedule. She was only on the track for a short period of time (got her when she was 2.5), which probably factors into it.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

RazorBunny posted:

It took a while for him to grasp the idea of weekends. Eventually we got to a point where as long as someone got up and took him out to potty, then fed him his breakfast, he was happy enough to come back to bed and let us sleep in for a couple more hours. If we didn't mess with breakfast and dinner times, he was cool with weekends being a little off from the normal routine. But holy poo poo if you tried to change mealtimes, you are talking one seriously worried pooch. Even feeding him early seemed to make him uncomfortable if it was by too wide a margin.

Yeah Union doesn't care about too many day to day changes, some days I work from home and some days she gets left to hold down the bed. She's pretty happy to up and go anyplace and equally happy to have people round. However she's pretty gregarious and stoic for a greyhound (who can be crybabies), so I'm not sure if that translates to more sensitive ones. She doesn't like me messin with food times though. she'll wake me up if I oversleep too much. Just a big ol bark right in my sleeping face. I do have to stick to mealtimes pretty close anyway, because if I let her get too hungry (ie feeding her too early of breakfast) she'll get confused because her tummy hurts so she thinks she's sick, so she won't eat, but wants to eat grass, then looks at her food like I can't eat that I'm sick and miserable :[ :[ :[ dumb dog.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I never used to think much of sight hounds, found them kinda ugly and uninteresting. Then I got my first dog two years ago, a 10 week old whippet from the RSPCA and now I can't imagine having any other breed.

Absolute sweethearts, clingy sometimes and yet aloof other times. I've never known such a cuddly, lazy dog and so full of personality. She's low energy except while we're walking, and she'll go as long as I do; then crash on my bed when we get home and accept all cuddles. She's soft, she sheds very little, no dog-stink, no barking ever I love it. I'll never be without a whippet I think.

(downside: holy gently caress she was hard work to house-train. Don't poop in crate! STOP POOPIN IN YOUR CRATE!)
(downside 2: people constantly telling me my dog was skinny and I wasn't feeding her right)

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Ok whippet owners, how many times a day do you sing "whip it" to your dog?

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
All day, every day, directly into her earhole. It exhausts her.

Now that I dig sight hounds so much I've got my mind on a saluki if a rescue one ever appears (unlikely but who knows?)..

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

RazorBunny posted:

Depending on what kind of activities you do in the evenings, you could potentially take the dog with you. They're generally pretty content to pull up a corner and nap while you do your thing, and just going to a different house for a couple of hours is usually enough mental stimulation to last them a few days.

Yeah, it wouldn't be the only dog in the club curled up in a corner. We've got a wheelchair fencer with a helper dog (lab/retriever mix, sweetest thing ever) that spends the time on her pillow moping about how nobody's paying her any attention. The first greyhound I met is at another club, and he spends his time on his pillow with occasional lazy forays looking for people to pet him.

This is more a general "I've never had a dog" question, but what's the general upkeep like? I gather their breeding has kept them pretty healthy overall. Were I to get serious about this (which is probably far away at the moment) what sorts of things do I need to keep in mind and to look out for?

Bruinator
Jul 6, 2005
Last Friday the local rescue had a litter of puppies from a girl who came in at the beginning of May quite pregnant.

Cue the cutest puppycam ever: http://www.greysave.org/puppycam.php. No noses or legs yet but they do have the greyhound waists.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

dog days are over posted:

Now that I dig sight hounds so much I've got my mind on a saluki if a rescue one ever appears (unlikely but who knows?)..
I love my greys, but just going off looks, I'd want a borzoi.

We met Casey last weekend and picked him up today.

He's settling in fairly well, and Tess is quite excited to have a friend. She's been trying to get him to play, but he was too interested in exploring to pay her much attention. Now they're both lying awkwardly on the floor.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Skizzles posted:

Here is the greyhound I am petsitting for the next couple weeks. :3: Her name is Jojo. She is an old retired racer. She is a good dog. And go figure that of all four dogs, she is the least interested in the chickens or cats. She gives no fucks.

I've never seen a dog that looks so much like a deer.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

What a cutie! He looks a LOT like my Ty, right down to the head spot. Does he have Molotov in his line? That dude throws cookie cutter grandpups.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

I got approved by the rescue on my home check today! This is awesome! Now I need to start getting everything ready to bring him home on the 15th.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Good luck with moving him in! I'm hoping to adopt a greyhound in the next few months too (I live right near TIA so I basically have no excuse), I'd love to hear how he settles in!

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Bruinator posted:

Last Friday the local rescue had a litter of puppies from a girl who came in at the beginning of May quite pregnant.

Cue the cutest puppycam ever: http://www.greysave.org/puppycam.php. No noses or legs yet but they do have the greyhound waists.

They do have scrawny little greyhound legs! That doesn't stop one of the black ones from motoring along on his tummy. The one with brown spots is a little whiner. :3 I can't wait til they get a little bigger!

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

alucinor posted:

What a cutie! He looks a LOT like my Ty, right down to the head spot. Does he have Molotov in his line? That dude throws cookie cutter grandpups.
It looks like Ty's got a heart on his side in that shot. :3:
No Molotov, but he is a descendant of HB Commander. Everything I know about racing greyhound lines, I learned looking that up.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I love spotty greyhounds :3: Our rescue never seems to get very many of them - mostly I see brindle, fawn, and black. I'm sure it's just that the lines at the track they pull from trend toward those colors.

When we were first applying, they asked what color I wanted. I said I genuinely didn't care, that personality was all I was interested in, but they really pressed me for a color preference. I said, "I dunno, brindle?" and they marked down brindle. A couple of weeks later the lady called me back and said "I can't find you any brindle dogs, would you accept a fawn instead?"

Um, yeah? I only asked for brindle because you basically told me I had to pick a color?

Just thought that was kind of funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

This thread has me 95% convinced to rescue a greyhound after I move in to my new house. I think I'll get a black one, because I keep reading that black greyhounds are adopted less often for some reason.