Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
So I used the workshop to install Radious' mod and now it C2Ds every time I launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Asehujiko posted:

How do Bow Kobayas kill Nanbans? Are you letting them get close? You should be kiting them around the map. Either way, the best solution is of course to autoresolve 10 sengoku bunes against the Black Ship and use that to patrol circles around Japan and sweep the seas clean.

Maybe it's just bad luck. I loaded a save where one of my trade stacks is attacked, and the Nanban can at the very least rout two ships before getting swamped by Bow Kobaya fire arrows. I know it's anecdotical evidence, but I get no good results with them unless I put 2 or 3 in a single stack.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Which they still did not leverage to any degree of military might that is comparable to the way the Europeans had after they got introduced to gunpowder weapons. To get back to the point WoodrowSkillson made, gunpowder weapons and especially the effective military use came from the Europeans to Japan. There is a reason quite a few military advances in Empire are simple organizational things like "fire-by-rank". So the Chinese may have mastered the weapons, but they were not at good as using them.

Actually, by the time the shogunate decided to quit haring off to Korea and settle down to consolidate at home,* Japanese musketry tech and drill was on par or better than the contemporary European equivalents. Including, incidentally, Maurician fire-by-rank drills. They were just getting back into form is all. And promptly got stuck in Korea, entangled in a drawn out war with inexhaustible Chinese reserves and finally defeated because, when you get right down to it, Japan is just not a great place to try and build a warmachine out of. Too few people, too few things.

*Well, after Hideyoshi kicked the bucket and the more chill, calculating Tokugawa took over.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

the JJ posted:

Too few people, too few things.

That reminds me. It's amusing they chose the Boshin War for a Total War campaign - I've read that it was called the "Bloodless War" or something like that, because the killed in action figures were relatively low for a conflict.
I assume my battles happen in an alternate reality then. :black101:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Any reason in ROTS to engage in naval battles? I've been looking at the encyclopedia entries for the ships so the impression I got is if I did go into manual battle it's mostly just board like with like or samurai vs attendant ships, pop cooldowns as you close in and hope for the best?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Azran posted:

That reminds me. It's amusing they chose the Boshin War for a Total War campaign - I've read that it was called the "Bloodless War" or something like that, because the killed in action figures were relatively low for a conflict.
I assume my battles happen in an alternate reality then. :black101:

Fall Of The Samurai is pretty much alternate history yeah, giving you the option to turn the Boshin War into the Japanese Civil War that could be as bloody as the American Civil War.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

SeanBeansShako posted:

Fall Of The Samurai is pretty much alternate history yeah, giving you the option to turn the Boshin War into the Japanese Civil War that could be as bloody as the American Civil War.

All of the total war campaigns are alternate history in bizarro-land, Poland only conquered all of Europe in my dreams and my MTW2 game.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

SheepNameKiller posted:

All of the total war campaigns are alternate history in bizarro-land, Poland only conquered all of Europe in my dreams and my MTW2 game.

The French North American Empire happens a lot sometimes in Empire too.

Also, Prussia sure does like uniting German 200 years early.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Sober posted:

Any reason in ROTS to engage in naval battles? I've been looking at the encyclopedia entries for the ships so the impression I got is if I did go into manual battle it's mostly just board like with like or samurai vs attendant ships, pop cooldowns as you close in and hope for the best?

Whoops. :downs:

Azran fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 20, 2013

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Azran posted:

Not really. There's a lot more emphasis on the shooting and maneuvering aspect, instead of boarding. Bring the most cannons to bear while evading the firing arc of the enemy.
You mostly want Explosive shells before commiting to naval battle. A explosive shell to the midsection of a ship will blow it to bits.

Honestly, they are my favourite Naval battles in the entire series and I don't know why they receive so much flak, considering just how horrible the vanilla and ROTS naval battles are.

he was talking about ROTS battles

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Naval battles in Shogun 2 are pretty boring until you get the Black Ship, but I've still enjoyed a few where I won despite horrible odds. Even so, nothing beats watching an entire flotilla throw itself at your cannons and route one by one.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Khagan posted:

So I used the workshop to install Radious' mod and now it C2Ds every time I launch.

Which mods did you install? Does the game run normally without them? Did you have any mods that added extra units to the game installed previously?

Try unsubscribing and using the manual links for Radious: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?1758-Radious-Total-War-Mod that way you can also try his individual packages to see which one causes a problem (mods that add extra units seem to most crash prone to me).

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Azran posted:

Honestly, I enjoy the mix of firearms and melee weapons in vanilla and traditional Shogunate armies in FOTS. I just miss crossbows and shields goddamnit.

I like the mix in FOTS too, and I don't like the play in Empire or Napoleon at all, (despite loving the Napoleonic period). Mostly it's due to my sucking with gun lines when all I have is a gun line but whatever. Shits boring yo.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Here's a tip for Fall of the Samurai: If you find yourself melee-heavy against an enemy gun force, try using a wide naval bombardment on the enemy. The AI will reposition to avoid the shelling, and you can charge while they do so.

If you time it right, you can get into melee without taking a single volley, and it feels awesome.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Gort posted:

Here's a tip for Fall of the Samurai: If you find yourself melee-heavy against an enemy gun force, try using a wide naval bombardment on the enemy. The AI will reposition to avoid the shelling, and you can charge while they do so.

If you time it right, you can get into melee without taking a single volley, and it feels awesome.

It's kinda funny how even highly traditional clans need to fight with fully modern steamships. Though, given the lethality of cannon in FotS, a single gunboat could probably knock out a whole fleet of heavy bunes.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
My most used generals always end up being completely insane, incredibly lewd and prone to fits of rage. Or alcoholics, or cuckolds. I guess the curse of world domination is you end up stark raving mad.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

SHISHKABOB posted:

My most used generals always end up being completely insane, incredibly lewd and prone to fits of rage. Or alcoholics, or cuckolds. I guess the curse of world domination is you end up stark raving mad.

This was so annoyingly common in Rome I modded most of that poo poo out with text editing. I hosed with Rome A LOT though, made it way too easy/straightforward in hindsight. Don't plan on touching Rome II until I have at least finished (or come close to finishing) a couple vanilla campaigns.

brozozo
Apr 27, 2007

Conclusion: Dinosaurs.
Something I hope they add in Rome 2 is the ability to view a map in greater detail before starting a custom battle. Those tiny thumbnails don't offer a whole lot. Perhaps have the minimap shown in addition to the thumbnail on the map selection screen?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mazz posted:

This was so annoyingly common in Rome I modded most of that poo poo out with text editing. I hosed with Rome A LOT though, made it way too easy/straightforward in hindsight. Don't plan on touching Rome II until I have at least finished (or come close to finishing) a couple vanilla campaigns.

Oh, I love it when my generals become insane. As long as they've got that tower of stars, I don't care what they do in their private lives. For me, it's always happened in M2TW. I never played enough Rome I to see it happen often enough.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

SHISHKABOB posted:

That always happened to me in the first Medieval. About a third of my generals would end up fat, drunk, or inbred (or some combination thereof). In my current game as the Germans, I'm having a strange trend of skeptical/rationalist-type traits and religous fanaticism showing up in a single character.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

SHISHKABOB posted:

I remember one game of Medieval where I only had one really good general. He stopped off in my capital for one turn (to upgrade his armour), and in that turn became a drunken whore-monger. Dude must've loved to party hard!

And then there was Roma Surrectum 2, where I struggled to get a general above 3-stars because they'd get lumbered with crappy political traits and other nonsense that killed their command ability. I had so many from just trying to get a good general (you can recruit generals in that mod) that I could have a decent governor in all of my cities and have enough left over to form an army. Used them to hunt down bandits, and if any died there were always more lovely generals to take their place.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

SHISHKABOB posted:

For some reason I never ended up with mad generals, which is a pity because I really, really wanted to hear their battle speeches.

Got just about everything else, though.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I found it sad they did away the General Speeches for Empire and Napoleon. Those could have been amazing.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SeanBeansShako posted:

I found it sad they did away the General Speeches for Empire and Napoleon. Those could have been amazing.

A drunk schizophrenic Napoleon would be quite a scene.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
I recently started playing Rome again and I decided to go looking for mods. All I want is something that makes Rome a single faction and cleans up the biggest history flaws, making Egypt the Ptolomys, fleshing out the Barbarians a bit etc. Everything I find is either pretty much maximum over :spergin:. Do any of you guys have a recommendation for something that tightens the game up a bit but is still accessible?

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

I recently started playing Rome again and I decided to go looking for mods. All I want is something that makes Rome a single faction and cleans up the biggest history flaws, making Egypt the Ptolomys, fleshing out the Barbarians a bit etc. Everything I find is either pretty much maximum over :spergin:. Do any of you guys have a recommendation for something that tightens the game up a bit but is still accessible?

As I recall, Rome: Total Realism did those things without changing the game all that much.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Extended Greek mod does exactly this. The only really new concepts it introduces is area of recruitment and culture. AOR units are built through an auxiliary barracks, which gives you access to units that are linked to the region. Hoplites, and peltasts in Greek areas, horse archers in he steppes and east, or even Hastati and underpowered Triarii I you conquer Italy. Factions have more or less ability to access these units. Rome is the most restricted since they get most of the best stuff anyway. Carthage can recruit drat near all of them since they relied on mercenaries so much.

Culture is just the religion mechanic from barbarian invasion. Cultures are either eastern, western, or barbarian. You do not have to convert them as its not as much of a penalty as in BI, but you get less taxes and are restricted on building some (mostly military) higher level buildings in that province. You have to build colony buildings to gain access to the higher level buildings.

Other then that it also adds a much bigger map, and uses some tricks like making large piecemeal factions like "eastern kingdoms" to allow for extra factions elsewhere. .

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Extended Greek mod does exactly this. The only really new concepts it introduces is area of recruitment and culture. AOR units are built through an auxiliary barracks, which gives you access to units that are linked to the region. Hoplites, and peltasts in Greek areas, horse archers in he steppes and east, or even Hastati and underpowered Triarii I you conquer Italy. Factions have more or less ability to access these units. Rome is the most restricted since they get most of the best stuff anyway. Carthage can recruit drat near all of them since they relied on mercenaries so much.

Culture is just the religion mechanic from barbarian invasion. Cultures are either eastern, western, or barbarian. You do not have to convert them as its not as much of a penalty as in BI, but you get less taxes and are restricted on building some (mostly military) higher level buildings in that province. You have to build colony buildings to gain access to the higher level buildings.

Other then that it also adds a much bigger map, and uses some tricks like making large piecemeal factions like "eastern kingdoms" to allow for extra factions elsewhere. .

This looks pretty much like what I want, thanks!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

TE also does it.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

Europa Barbarorum is simply the greatest game mod ever created. It's more :eng101: than :spergin:, but YMMV if you're not that into history.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Qwo posted:

Europa Barbarorum is simply the greatest game mod ever created. It's more :eng101: than :spergin:, but YMMV if you're not that into history.

I'm into history and I can't stand EB.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Koramei posted:

I'm into history and I can't stand EB.

Yeah, naming units in languages no one can read gets old real quick.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
I dunno, I guess I just like my historically accurate games to be as historically accurate as possible. :shrug:

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yeah, naming units in languages no one can read gets old real quick.

You were so pissed off at reading ancient Greek you didn't make it to their english names in the parentheses right beside it? I agree with the guy who said it, EB is the best mod ever created.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
Roma Surrectum 2 is also really autistic with unit names and varieties, it's pretty much loving impossible to figure out what is what when half your units are called like Thorakitai or Thureophoroi Epilektoi or whatever the gently caress.

Do we really need 50 different kinds of heavy peltats?

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Athropos posted:

Roma Surrectum 2 is also really autistic with unit names and varieties, it's pretty much loving impossible to figure out what is what when half your units are called like Thorakitai or Thureophoroi Epilektoi or whatever the gently caress.

Go learn ancient Greek, peasant. :colbert:

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

There's a better emoticon for that. :agesilaus:

But that sounds immensely frustrating.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Also, you missed a great opportunity to use "barbarian" in its historical context. :colbert:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Athropos posted:

Do we really need 50 different kinds of heavy peltats?

Yes. Its not that complicated really. When I first started playing years ago, I knew poo poo about history and got along fine.

also the sperger the mod the better. That is why Imperium Juliani is the best mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Tomn posted:

It's kinda funny how even highly traditional clans need to fight with fully modern steamships. Though, given the lethality of cannon in FotS, a single gunboat could probably knock out a whole fleet of heavy bunes.

The Shogunate banned the construction of pretty much any vessel bigger than a fishing ship during its period of seclusion. So the regional daimyo didn't really have much of a navy (except for Satsuma, which had to have ships capable of traveling to Ryukyu), and 200 years of peace meant that traditional shipbuilding skill had pretty much been lost. The Shogunate maintained a standing navy, but with a few exceptions, it was intended only to ward off pirates and scare coastal Daimyo. When Perry came, the Japanese recognized the gulf in strength immediately. It helped that Perry gave them a white flag and told them they would need it if they ever tried to attack his fleet.

The Shogunate almost immediately started trying to modernize their navy with the help of Dutch shipyards, and the other clans did not have the money, the ability, or the inclination to start up their own traditional shipbuilding program. The Satsuma had started building and buying modern ships as soon as the Shogunate dropped their restrictions on shipbuilding, so both sides had to contend with the modern vessels of the other. There wasn't really a place for bunes, even if they could be made cheaply (and they were not cheap).

I think it's funny how awesome the USS Roanoke is compared to its historical version. The turrets took five minutes to fully traverse, the hull hadn't been reinforced to cope with the added armor or the cannon recoil, and the ship rolled so badly under speed that the guns couldn't even be used; they had to be strapped down just to keep from flying into the sea. The first time they test-fired the guns, one of them became dismounted from the force of the recoil. She was a complete lemon.

But in the game, it's all "Pride of the US Navy" :patriot:

Never was a big U.S. history buff, so I hadn't realized just how bad our navy was before Teddy Roosevelt unfucked everything.