Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Was anyone else disappointed in how bell-and-whistleish Harpoon 2 was over original Harpoon?

Also, original Harpoon had an online component, a huge deal at the time. Multiplayer re-enactment of the battle for Keflavik :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Microprose always had the best game manuals. Pacific Air War gave you a game, and a flight manual, detailing how to do maneuvers, explanations behind the history of certain tactics, and a breakdown of certain battles. Task Force 1942 had a game manual, plus they also had a "ship recognition manual" printed on retro brown paper that had all the US and Japanese ships and their stats. I'm also certain everyone remembers this little ditty.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Blistex posted:

Microprose always had the best game manuals. Pacific Air War gave you a game, and a flight manual, detailing how to do maneuvers, explanations behind the history of certain tactics, and a breakdown of certain battles. Task Force 1942 had a game manual, plus they also had a "ship recognition manual" printed on retro brown paper that had all the US and Japanese ships and their stats. I'm also certain everyone remembers this little ditty.

The one I have of that is the spiral bound one, still a good manual. drat shame that the manual for BMS Falcon still needs a ton of work.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Blistex posted:

Possibly the first flight sim in history where the developer just printed and bound the USAF Dash 1 and called it good.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
It's a shame we don't have the same gamer demographics of the early-mid 90's. So many amazing sims that big developers were willing to invest real money into.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Flight Sim X was fun when you could get over the astonishingly horrible performance, which if I recall correctly was still bad on my high end computer four or five years after it came out.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Mortabis posted:

Flight Sim X was fun when you could get over the astonishingly horrible performance, which if I recall correctly was still bad on my high end computer four or five years after it came out.

FSX should be a graduate-level course in how not to design software.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
It still runs like poo poo, even after going through all the spells and incantations and third party software to eke out a bit better performance.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
I had some tank sim that I played on my C64 back in the day. It was pretty fun until I figured out that laying smoke in my Bradley meant that I could blow up other tanks with my TOW (while on the move!) and lighter vehicles got chewed up by my cannon with impunity.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Mike-o posted:

It still runs like poo poo, even after going through all the spells and incantations and third party software to eke out a bit better performance.

Yeah a year and a half ago or something I reinstalled it thinking "huh, maybe it will actually run okay now that I have a brand spanking new top of the line computer and it's relatively ancient" but nope.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

M1 Tank Platoon 2 and F-14 Fleet Defender Gold were the apex of fun Microprose sims. It was all downhill from there.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
F22 Lighting 2 had a fabulous manual that was as thick as my thumb, which went through the history of flight, the physics of it, combat manoeuvres and tactics, and a detailed breakdown of every weapons system in the game. It was also a fantastic jumping point into more complex flight sims, and a hellishly fun game.

Now seemingly everything is incredibly simple, or like A10-C, wanting you to spend days learning how to start your engines properly and taxi :(

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Oxford Comma posted:

I had some tank sim that I played on my C64 back in the day. It was pretty fun until I figured out that laying smoke in my Bradley meant that I could blow up other tanks with my TOW (while on the move!) and lighter vehicles got chewed up by my cannon with impunity.

http://www.c64-wiki.com/index.php/Steel_Thunder

Steel Thunder. I always used the M60 because it carried the most ammo.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!

PhotoKirk posted:

http://www.c64-wiki.com/index.php/Steel_Thunder

Steel Thunder. I always used the M60 because it carried the most ammo.

Yes! This game rocked until I figured out I could hide in smoke and snipe everything with a TOW from kilometers away.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Oxford Comma posted:

Yes! This game rocked until I figured out I could hide in smoke and snipe everything from kilometers away.

Pretty much my forums posting strategy these days

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

Snowdens Secret posted:

Pretty much my forums posting strategy these days

You made this post all the way from GiP, didn't you?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Look. A useless thing happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW28Mb1YvwY

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Roll on, Peace Dove.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
I wonder if they did this test explicitly to shut up The Guardian? Not that The Guardian won't find a way to still spin it in a bad light, but video of the F-35B taking off is a very potent visual response to news stories claiming (erroneously) that it can't land vertically on aircraft carriers.

Also, you're forgetting about marines being able to VTO with 2 missiles and 30 minutes of fuel to defend Henderson Field after the airstrip is bombed to nothing and only the aircraft, pilots, fuel, weapons and maintenance crews are left.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
A guy showed me that video all amazed. I found out he'd never heard of the Harrier.

"That jet can just HOVER!!"

"Well, there's this other 40+ year old jet.."

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Yeah, the comments are full of annoyed Brits pointing out that the Harrier did it first. :v:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

British military engineering usually takes something amazing (Rolls Royce Pegasus engine) and surrounds it with a lot of other less good stuff.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I like to imagine the engine exhaust clenched at about the same time the pilots sphincter did. Being the first one to VTOL with a new jet design has to be a worrying experience.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

They probably had done quite a bit of testing on the system while tethered, I remember watching a Nova episode quite a while back about the JSF competition.. They start them out on these large steel grids they can blow cool air through to prevent hot air ingestion and go from there. The X-32 suffered from that problem so it was one of the reasons it lost out. I thought it looked cool, myself. Especially with the Pelikan tail.

But the first time on your own, yeah that'd be pretty freaky. The whole engine swivel/ducted fan thing just seems wayyyyy too complex to be a good answer but here we are.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Forums Terrorist posted:

Yeah, the comments are full of annoyed Brits pointing out that the Harrier did it first. :v:
..and then showed we could do it pilot-less: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tbgF616PJk

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Pablo Bluth posted:

..and then showed we could do it pilot-less: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tbgF616PJk

That's a good feature to have, considering how often the Harrier kills pilots.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

priznat posted:

British military engineering usually takes something amazing (Rolls Royce Pegasus engine) and surrounds it with a lot of other less good stuff.

:v:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

See, the brits make some drat fine engines!

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

priznat posted:

priznat posted:

See, the brits make some drat fine engines!

First operational aircraft to enter service with the Merlin:

Point proven I think.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Alaan posted:

I like to imagine the engine exhaust clenched at about the same time the pilots sphincter did. Being the first one to VTOL with a new jet design has to be a worrying experience.

priznat posted:

..or in this case, almost nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8W2SI4c93s

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

But the rule still holds.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

In other news, single-engine powered-lift is still a dumb loving idea.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Forums Terrorist posted:

Roll on, Peace Dove.

That's a bit mean, at least the Yak-38 got on a ship.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

LP97S posted:

That's a bit mean, at least the Yak-38 got on a ship.

And in some way or shape, the pilot was always destined to go off again.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Mike-o posted:

I saw it on their facebook, looks like they announced it on their twitter too, and probably on their website. It was a couple days in advance, but I'm not sure if they do this regularly or just happened to give everyone a heads-up before it happened.

http://flyingheritage.com/TemplateEventsCalendar.aspx?contentId=54#76

it appears they do schedule in advance and then they also probably have some more ad-hoc stuff on twitter.

So yes, I do plan on showing up for when they fly the IL-2, among other things, because drat. I'd like to show up for all of them but it's a bit out of my way, plus it might make me think buying a $2500 zoom lens is a good idea (it's not).

iyaayas01 posted:

Possibly the first flight sim in history where the developer just printed and bound the USAF Dash 1 and called it good.

Falcon 3.0 was close, figures they'd go all out with Falcon 4.0. Are Dash 1s published anywhere for nerds who aren't pilots (aka me) or what? I know they're not exactly the most exciting reading but they're still pretty neat when you don't have to be in the USAF ;)

Psion fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 26, 2013

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Plenty of A-10C nerds would buy a copy for their flight simming.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Another great video from the Middle East thread.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d72_1370178096

T-72 getting hit by what is probably a Konkurs ATGM.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
The ubiquitous takbirs will never ever not creep me out

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Warbadger posted:

T-72s were originally designed by Roscosmos, in an effort to put tank turrets in space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Warbadger posted:

So, what exactly keeps you from popping something like a Leopard 2 with one of these? I know that the T-72s and such typically explode in a hilariously big fireball, but would many of the Western tanks fair that much better?