Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Latency isn't bad, but CPU usage is. That said, it's processing everything through kludges and Java, so there's room for improvement.

As for "understated," yeah, but that's kinda okay, since it's literally an effect for your peripheral vision.

In games that don't use HDR rendering or are just brighter in general, the lights are much brighter. Plus I could increase their relative brightness further if I weren't such a stickler for color accuracy on my monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I realize FRAPS is part of the kludge, would running the FRAPS output at a lower resolution help?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Potentially, but neither FRAPS nor MSI Afterburner offer a scaling option on screenshot mode. I'm just having the bridge program mash the screenshot key and dumping those shots to a RAMdisk right now.

Luckily, there is an open source overlay framegrabber library that I can make use of. I just have to learn C# and port the Java code to the Win32 API. No biggie, right? :v:

NickelSkeleton
Jul 2, 2004

Put another nickel in.
I just want to thank you guys for this thread and the Driver Fusion recommendation. I have a 3 week old rig with a Radeon 7950 and lost my poo poo when my video just randomly stopped displaying. First thought my card overheated and then proceeded to spend 2 days installing and uninstalling drivers. gently caress AMD drivers.

Shitty Treat
Feb 21, 2012

Stoopid?
I just got myself an ASUS GeForce GTX 660 DirectCU II OC which is my first Nvidia card since the days of the Geforce 6800 ultra so I am a little out of touch with Nvidia stuff.

I am currently using the 314.22 drivers but am experiencing some odd behavior whilst running some benchmarks with Bioshock infinite (crashes), is there a specific driver version that's recommended at the moment or is it safe to just use the latest ones all the time?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
There's very rarely instances when the latest driver isn't the best, and the last one of those that I can remember was years ago. Random crashes while benching/burn testing/etc might point more too a wheezing power supply or a slightly too ambitious overclock more than drivers, these days.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

lovely Treat posted:

I just got myself an ASUS GeForce GTX 660 DirectCU II OC which is my first Nvidia card since the days of the Geforce 6800 ultra so I am a little out of touch with Nvidia stuff.

I am currently using the 314.22 drivers but am experiencing some odd behavior whilst running some benchmarks with Bioshock infinite (crashes), is there a specific driver version that's recommended at the moment or is it safe to just use the latest ones all the time?

Could be a failed overclock on the card. Typically, low factory oc-cards are basically **pray it will run at this new clockspeed** on account of overhead built into the hardware. Sure they do testing, but it amounts to "Will it run 3Dmark and not crash?".

Real, hard-core factory OC cards typically are volt modded (ex: evga FTW models) or have better PWM (ex: classifieds) to support the 20% or so increase in clockspeed, but they're still fallible to the quality of the hardware.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 21, 2013

Shitty Treat
Feb 21, 2012

Stoopid?
Its just the benchmark tool for bioshock infinite that is crashing whether the card is at default clocks or overclocked.
I just played Bioshock infinite for half an hour on ultra settings and it never gave me any problems even with the boost clock running at 1200MHz and memory at 6400, it just doesnt like it when I run the benchmark.bat.
My other games all run fine too.

incoherent posted:

Could be a failed overclock on the card. Typically, low factory oc-cards are basically **pray it will run at this new clockspeed** on account of overhead built into the hardware. Sure they do testing, but it amounts to "Will it run 3Dmark and not crash?".

Real, hard-core factory OC cards typically are volt modded (ex: evga FTW models) or have better PWM (ex: classifieds) to support the 20% or so increase in clockspeed, but they're still fallible to the quality of the hardware.

I went for the Asus as it was a recomended brand in the parts picking thread and all the reviews I found of it liked it.
Looking at other gtx 660's it was also one of the few that had a voltage controller which supports voltage control through software (although the power limit only letting you go up to 110% kind of makes that pointless).

The power setup on it also looked pretty decent compared to others.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/display/asus-geforce-gtx-660-directcu-ii-oc_2.html#sect0

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

lovely Treat posted:

I had some similar issues with freezing or the game randomly slowing/jittering at times using the same drivers you've got. Ended up blowing them away, cleaning everything out in safe mode with Driver Fusion, and installing the previous 314.07 WHQL Nvidia drivers. So far, so good, no issues even with a decent overclock.

Shitty Treat
Feb 21, 2012

Stoopid?
I just fired up some older games like guildwars, gta san andreas, world of warcraft and for some reason in older games its constantly bouncing my core clock from 810 to 1019 spending roughly 4 seconds at each clock speed and giving me worse performance in those games than I was getting with my HD 4850. Overclocking has no effect either it still bounces from 810 to 1019 over and over.

Newer games are making the card run at boost speeds the whole time and giving decent performance (Average in bioshock infinite 1920x1080 Ultra settings was around 59fps)

Currently trying the 314.07 drivers but its doing the same constant clock changes in older games.
I removed the ATI drivers, rebooted, used driver fusion, rebooted then installed the gtx 660.
Any ideas? otherwise I shall return it tomorrow and grab a 7870.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

A word to the wise: using the AMD catalyst un-install utility is a very bad idea on windows 8. Somehow it royally hosed up my registry, taking away my control settings and my ability to change anything at all on the system drive. Essentially made everything read only without any error messages to let you know nothing is working. Restoring the system to a few days ago solved the problems.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 22, 2013

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

lovely Treat posted:

Currently trying the 314.07 drivers but its doing the same constant clock changes in older games.
I removed the ATI drivers, rebooted, used driver fusion, rebooted then installed the gtx 660.
Any ideas? otherwise I shall return it tomorrow and grab a 7870.
Did you try setting the Power Management Mode to "Prefer Maximum Performance" in the global profile? Also, definitely try with the 320.0 Beta drivers before returning the card, but if you actually have a GTX 660 rather than a GTX 660 Ti then I think the Radeon HD 7870 would provide a much better experience anyway.

ethanol posted:

A word to the wise: using the AMD catalyst un-install utility is a very bad idea on windows 8. Somehow it royally hosed up my registry, taking away my control settings and my ability to change anything at all on the system drive. Essentially made everything read only without any error messages to let you know nothing is working. Restoring the system to a few days ago solved the problems.
While it would definitely be preferred if they fixed this or made it refuse to run on Windows 8, I should note that the download page very clearly states that the tool only works with Windows 7.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 22, 2013

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Alereon posted:

While it would definitely be preferred if they fixed this or made it refuse to run on Windows 8, I should note that the download page very clearly states that the tool only works with Windows 7.

Yes well I pay about as much attention to windows 7 only warnings as I do surgeon general health warnings on cigarette labels. :chord:

ethanol fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 22, 2013

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

ethanol posted:

Yes well I pay about as much attention to windows 7 only warnings as I do surgeon general health warnings on cigarette labels. :chord:

Maybe if the Download page featured a large disgusting photo of a hosed up OS and an anguished user you'd pay more attention?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

Maybe if the Download page featured a large disgusting photo of a hosed up OS and an anguished user you'd pay more attention?

"No way that's happening to me"

Stumpus Maximus
Dec 15, 2007

Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed.
So I just got the 670 mini I'm planning on throwing into my next build. I don't have any of the other pieces, so I threw it into my old desktop to make sure it wasn't DoA or anything. Only problem is the desktop is running slow as poo poo all of a sudden. Now it's possible I haven't used the desktop in a while and forgot that it's an old slow piece of trash, but... I figured I'd ask here to make sure I'm not going to do any harm to that 670 by keeping it in there.

Asus p5n-d mobo
Intel e8400
750W PSU
4 gigs of ram
running Vista 64 Ultimate (I have Win7, but I'm a lazy, lazy man.)

Shitty Treat
Feb 21, 2012

Stoopid?

Alereon posted:

Did you try setting the Power Management Mode to "Prefer Maximum Performance" in the global profile? Also, definitely try with the 320.0 Beta drivers before returning the card, but if you actually have a GTX 660 rather than a GTX 660 Ti then I think the Radeon HD 7850 would provide a much better experience anyway.

The power profile stopped it constantly bouncing from 810 to 1019, it stayed on 1019.
Tried the 320.14 beta drivers, didnt improve the poor performance I am getting in older games.
Tempted to try a fresh install of windows.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Stumpus Maximus posted:

So I just got the 670 mini I'm planning on throwing into my next build. I don't have any of the other pieces, so I threw it into my old desktop to make sure it wasn't DoA or anything. Only problem is the desktop is running slow as poo poo all of a sudden. Now it's possible I haven't used the desktop in a while and forgot that it's an old slow piece of trash, but... I figured I'd ask here to make sure I'm not going to do any harm to that 670 by keeping it in there.

Asus p5n-d mobo
Intel e8400
750W PSU
4 gigs of ram
running Vista 64 Ultimate (I have Win7, but I'm a lazy, lazy man.)

The only way it could get damaged is if you have a crap PSU, like OCZ.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Animal posted:

The only way it could get damaged is if you have a crap PSU, like OCZ.
There's nothing wrong with OCZ power supplies, their high-end stuff have the same guts as PC Power & Cooling units (because OCZ bought them). The cheap ones are not as good, but cheapo PSUs are crappy no matter what badge is on the case. I'm not saying OCZ is a company that people should buy any product from, but if one were doing so, an OCZ PSU isn't bad.
A psu would also have to be impressively hosed up, not just cheap trash, to permanently damage components.

It's hard to say why Stumpus's computer is running badly because "slow as poo poo" isn't very descriptive, but on a box you haven't used for a few years the BIOS battery might have run down and reset to safe defaults. Aside from that, it's probably just the OS being full of old crap and a reinstall would be snappy again.

Stumpus Maximus
Dec 15, 2007

Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed.
Yeah, that was a bit vague, but the speeds seem to have improved now that I've updated software and such. That was probably the problem. That and, although I've got a ridiculous GPU (relatively speaking), the CPU and all that are showing their age and I just need to do some spring cleaning on this thing anyway. That or hurry up and drop some cash on a new machine.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

BEST :10bux: I EVER SPENT

Klyith posted:

There's nothing wrong with OCZ power supplies, their high-end stuff have the same guts as PC Power & Cooling units (because OCZ bought them). The cheap ones are not as good, but cheapo PSUs are crappy no matter what badge is on the case. I'm not saying OCZ is a company that people should buy any product from, but if one were doing so, an OCZ PSU isn't bad.
A psu would also have to be impressively hosed up, not just cheap trash, to permanently damage components.

It's hard to say why Stumpus's computer is running badly because "slow as poo poo" isn't very descriptive, but on a box you haven't used for a few years the BIOS battery might have run down and reset to safe defaults. Aside from that, it's probably just the OS being full of old crap and a reinstall would be snappy again.

Not only are OCZ's PSUs poorly built (like everything else OCZ produces), but a bad PSU is pretty much the only component of your system that can ruin other parts when it fails. PC P&C was a good company, until OCZ bought them.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Klyith posted:

Anecdotal, but I built a PC for a friend with an OCZ PSU. It was a high end modular one, back in 2009. It failed within a week. Its replacement failed within a day. The replacement for the replacement failed and took out a motherboard.

The internet is swamped with nerd tears from experiences with OCZ PSUs and SSDs. Why should anyone buy their brand when Seasonic is the complete opposite and has similar prices?

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."

Klyith posted:

There's nothing wrong with OCZ power supplies, their high-end stuff have the same guts as PC Power & Cooling units (because OCZ bought them).
I'd love to hear about the multitude of OCZ units being sold based on a Seasonic design.

Shitty Treat
Feb 21, 2012

Stoopid?

InstantInfidel posted:

Not only are OCZ's PSUs poorly built (like everything else OCZ produces), but a bad PSU is pretty much the only component of your system that can ruin other parts when it fails. PC P&C was a good company, until OCZ bought them.

Not all of the OCZ PSU's were bad, there were a couple of models which were made by impervio that were decent.
It was the majority of the poo poo they sold made by fsp that were terrible.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Sorry to derail even more, but I'm on a PC P&C Silencer MK II 650W that I've been using since fall '11... AT the time I didn't know how lovely OCZ was, is that particular PSU considered one of the non-lovely one's being PC P&C and not directly OCZ?

NickelSkeleton
Jul 2, 2004

Put another nickel in.
So I'm freaking out after my new Radeon 7950 HD stopped working properly.

My rig is 3 weeks old and was originally running flawlessly. On Sunday I left the menu of Bioshock: Infinite open for like 20 minutes. I walked away from my computer and when I came back the screen was black and flickering. I rebooted only to find I couldn't even look at windows without the video drivers freaking out/crashing. I wiped out the AMD drivers with Driver Fusion and installed the latest catalyst beta driver. I was able to browse windows again but couldn't run any games or graphic intense programs without the program crashing/screen flickering and this error popping up: "AMD display driver has stopped responding and recovered". So I re-wiped the drivers and installed the latest CCC/non beta driver only to find I could barely use windows again with out the display crashing, couldn't open a web browser or even CCC. I re-wiped the drivers again and installed the original AMD drivers off the DVD that came with the card, same deal. Right now I'm back on the 13.5 beta2 driver and I can at least use firefox, no games though.

I never even tried OCing.

Here are my specs:

GPU- VGA SAPPHIRE|100352-4L HD7950 3G R
CPU INTEL|CORE I5 3570K 3.4G 6M R
MB- ASUS|P8Z77-V LX Z77
8 gigs of ram
PSU- SEASONIC| S12II 520 BRONZE RT
Windows 7 64 bit

Part of me thought my PSU wasn't strong enough but it was running fine for 3 weeks. I've been searching for fixes the past 3 nights with no luck. Please, help me goons

EDIT:

another weird thing, when running with the catalyst 13.5 beta2 driver check out my GPU clock:

when i was using the latest CCC stable driver at least the GPU clock was up around 950MHz but I couldn't run anything without macroblocking display/crashing

NickelSkeleton fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 23, 2013

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Everyone should just buy corsair everything and not worry anymore.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Endymion, it's probably fine. Even the bad post-OCZ PCP&C is only bad in comparison to what PCP&C used to represent. If you're worried, a backup PSU that sits on a shelf is nice to have around.

PSUs can damage other components when they fail, but it's really not very likely. There's a number of failsafes to prevent that. I suspect a lot of anecdotal "psu killed my cpu / video card / whatever" are explained by people being idiots and not seeing how they hosed up their system.

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

I'd love to hear about the multitude of OCZ units being sold based on a Seasonic design.
Based on a Seasonic design as in they have one big fan on the bottom and modular cables? Welcome to the PC hardware market, any product with superior design gets copied. Or is this something else I'm not aware of?

Animal posted:

Why should anyone buy their brand when Seasonic is the complete opposite and has similar prices?
I said "don't buy any product from OCZ" right?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

NickelSkeleton posted:

So I'm freaking out after my new Radeon 7950 HD stopped working properly.
Sounds like a standard GPU failure, RMA your card. A 500w Seasonic is plenty for that system (unless it's the PSU that's on its way out).

If you want to test it out, you could try using the overclocking panel of CCC to lower the GPU speed in 100mhz chunks and see if it can load a game without crashing. If it works at some lower clock speed, that's good evidence the card is defective.

quote:

another weird thing, when running with the catalyst 13.5 beta2 driver check out my GPU clock:
That's normal, GPUs run at lower clock speed when there's no demand. If you ran a game or something in the background it'd jump up to the rated speed (and crash in your case).

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Klyith posted:

Sounds like a standard GPU failure, RMA your card. A 500w Seasonic is plenty for that system (unless it's the PSU that's on its way out).

If you want to test it out, you could try using the overclocking panel of CCC to lower the GPU speed in 100mhz chunks and see if it can load a game without crashing. If it works at some lower clock speed, that's good evidence the card is defective.

Alternatively, try the 13.4 drivers. This is strictly anecdotal, but the 13.5 beta has been a massive lemon for me, even compared to other AMD beta drivers.

Shitty Treat
Feb 21, 2012

Stoopid?

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Sorry to derail even more, but I'm on a PC P&C Silencer MK II 650W that I've been using since fall '11... AT the time I didn't know how lovely OCZ was, is that particular PSU considered one of the non-lovely one's being PC P&C and not directly OCZ?

Its not one of the lovely fsp models

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

A relatively common failure in a PSU (I don't know statistics on this, but I've seen this one often) is a capacitor blowing. During regular operation, the resistance of a capacitor is pretty low. When it explodes (not literally, although it can cause a big discharge that looks like an explosion), it instantaneously becomes a gap in the circuit. Immediately after that, and for all intents at the same time, the current flow is continuing. In the process, the resistance of the circuit has increased immensely, and is approaching infinity very quickly, since there's not actually a circuit any more. When the current realizes that "Oops, something's hosed", a massive voltage (called a back EMF) is created and is instantaneously sent through the circuit. Keep in mind this all happens in a matter of a few thousandths of a second and most of that happens at virtually the same instant. The end result is the same: anything currently drawing power gets a huge voltage spike, and anything drawing power in a PC system is probably not rated for the couple million volts it potentially just experienced.

So yeah, it might survive and not blow up your entire system. But is your $300 video card, $130 motherboard, and $220 CPU worth putting at any perceptible risk in order to save $20 on your PSU? Probably not.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I have a 750W Silencer I've been using for years without much issue, I think the model predates the buyout safely.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."

Klyith posted:

Based on a Seasonic design as in they have one big fan on the bottom and modular cables? Welcome to the PC hardware market, any product with superior design gets copied. Or is this something else I'm not aware of?

I said "don't buy any product from OCZ" right?
No, as in "internals based on a reference Seasonic platform", which is largely how power supplies are judged outside of the ODM messing around with the bill of materials. OCZ has consistently relied on low-end CWT and Sirtec models, PC P&C did go to Sirtec for the MkII but back to Seasonic for the MkIII, which is why the III is to this day recommendable (based on the Seasonic M12II, if I remember right) and the MkII really never was. The only other crosstalk between the two since their acquisition has been using OCZ's lovely rebate processing and a brief flare up a year or two back where OCZ was mirroring PC P&C's practice of packing "we tested this power supply and it's great" notes in with their power supplies, except without actually doing that. No OCZ PSUs are Seasonic-based and none are even recommendable. Corsair is also largely in the dumps as well with the Builder series but have some okay high-end stuff.

For a system with a budget or midrange GPU, the Silencer Mk. III is often the best deal on the market if modularity is important, sweeping judgments about brands really don't work except for OCZ-branded anything being garbage. I would replace a Silencer Mk II (especially because it's coming up on 2.5-3 years old) but probably not count on it destroying my entire system.

Srebrenica Surprise fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 23, 2013

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Is 2-3 years to replace a steadily performing PSU at all reasonable? It sounds like total overkill.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

That's already a sub-par piece of tech. The longer it's in use, the greater the chance of failure. It might not ever be a problem, or it could blow up tomorrow.

Anyway, let's end this derail here. This is the GPU thread, not the PSU thread.

Shitty Treat
Feb 21, 2012

Stoopid?

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Is 2-3 years to replace a steadily performing PSU at all reasonable? It sounds like total overkill.

Depends on the PSU quality really and your paranoia.
I had my Tagan TG480-U01 for around 6 or 7 years in my daily use gaming PC before it exploded in blue smoke (I even ran an 80 watt peltier off it as well as the rest of the system for about 6 months)

I also haven't had a PSU die and destroy any other components since some time before I got that Tagan and used cheap lovely no name PSU's.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:

Klyith posted:

That's normal, GPUs run at lower clock speed when there's no demand. If you ran a game or something in the background it'd jump up to the rated speed (and crash in your case).

On that tab it doesn't update the GPU clock speed, only shows its max setting. Under sensors it shows exactly whats going on with the card. For my card, its running at 300MHz when doing 2D.

I have a 7950 as well I got not to long ago. That's my GPU-Z for the card.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

Everyone should just buy corsair everything and not worry anymore.
You made this comment in reference to that guy being worried about his Seasonic PSU?

Never mind that the best Corsair PSU are Seasonic rebrands and the rest are mediocre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

Animal posted:

You made this comment in reference to that guy being worried about his Seasonic PSU?

Never mind that the best Corsair PSU are Seasonic rebrands and the rest are mediocre.

Yea I was gonna say, I thought Seasonic was sort of the go-to these days.

Also, looks like a 780 GTX review (?) was leaked out of China earlier today:

http://www.hardocp.com/news/2013/05/22/leaked_nvidia_geforce_gtx_780_review

I'm seeing $650 thrown around, which seems a bit pricey to me, but I guess not entirely unreasonable for the performance. I was really hoping that it would be about $100 less. I guess I'll wait and see how the 770 stacks up.

Am I wrong to be concerned that the 770 only has 2GB of ram? I thought people were running into card memory issues for the super-high res textures in Bioshock Infinite with 2GB cards.

Un-l337-Pork fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 23, 2013