Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Tennis' first album isn't there, but their second (worse) one is for who knows what reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

HorseRenoir posted:

I recently noticed that Four Tet isn't on Spotify anymore :(

That happened about two months ago.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Tennis' first album isn't there, but their second (worse) one is for who knows what reason.

It is still available in The Netherlands, Four Tet is still MIA.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
The new band I found has the same name as some random Dutch band (also the same name as a well-covered song), and each band only has one, self-titled album.

The album page for the first, if you can get to it, has all its own tracks, then all its own tracks again as additional tracks, then all the other band's tracks. :wtc:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

fivre posted:

The new band I found has the same name as some random Dutch band (also the same name as a well-covered song), and each band only has one, self-titled album.

The album page for the first, if you can get to it, has all its own tracks, then all its own tracks again as additional tracks, then all the other band's tracks. :wtc:

Yeah, it's really annoying. Last I saw, Justice's page had albums from several rappers and an obscure pop group, and the first album on HEALTH's is some kind of weird exercise album from Soviet Russia :wtf:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

fivre posted:

The album page for the first, if you can get to it, has all its own tracks, then all its own tracks again as additional tracks, then all the other band's tracks.

Shockingly, Spotify does differentiate between "dub jazz band HiM" and "lovely Norweigan band HIM", but it's unnecessarily hard to find the former's page even though they were releasing albums with that name quite a few years before the latter band.

I get irrationally mad at how few bands bother using Google before they name themselves. See also: Ghost. There are like five bands named Ghost now. (The "good" one isn't on Spotify because they're on Drag City. Seriously, knock it off, Drag City.)

Weirdly enough, the Biography page for Rex is accurate, but the album list just shows one record by some weird sub-Evanescance sounding nobody.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
Yeah, Spotify really need to get working on that "different artists with the same name" problem, Don't know about Deezer, RDIO and other services.
Last.fm has the added bonus of pointless arguing in the comments (see: Dio for the most asinine version cause there's a dutch rapper with the same name).

Musicbrainz has the best solution: it gives all artists an unique ID and then gives you a field to clarify why the artist is different in a single sentence.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I emailed them 2 weeks ago about how MONO's album "For My Parents" was listed as a Single rather than an Album. They emailed back almost immediately and said "Thanks, the info you provided will be used!"

It still hasn't been changed. How hard could that be to do?!

Also, they really need a way to randomize the order of the songs in a Playlist without just hitting Shuffle, because out of 300 Starred songs, if I put it on Shuffle I get the same ones far more often than I should. I'd like to just randomize it and play it straight through.

Or is there a way to do that I'm not seeing?

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

precision posted:

Shockingly, Spotify does differentiate between "dub jazz band HiM" and "lovely Norweigan band HIM"
Go wash your mouth and never talk like that about Norway again! That's "lovely Finnish band HIM"!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

There are unavailable tracks on the official "Top 100 Tracks on Spotify" list.

:cripes:

Spotify random works the same way as a bunch of programs and even dedicated cd/music players: it just randomized the playlist then inserts it into the queue. If you don't listen to it all the way through every time (or possibly stop and restart play, I know toggling shuffle off and on re-rolls it) it is going to seem to be sticky to certain tracks just out of sheer probability. But the alternative of random-rolling each play would means you could is you could end up with the same track playing 5x in a row.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Shifty Pony posted:

Spotify random works the same way as a bunch of programs and even dedicated cd/music players: it just randomized the playlist then inserts it into the queue. If you don't listen to it all the way through every time (or possibly stop and restart play, I know toggling shuffle off and on re-rolls it) it is going to seem to be sticky to certain tracks just out of sheer probability. But the alternative of random-rolling each play would means you could is you could end up with the same track playing 5x in a row.

Really? Because I know for sure that recently I've hit "skip" while playing on shuffle and gotten the same track twice within 10 songs. Unless you're talking about some other random feature that I'm not aware of.

I settled for arranging the list by song name, which at least randomizes the artists pretty well.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

What client? Maybe the starred shuffle works differently?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
How big a playlist? If it's, say, 100 songs that'll happen more than a third of the time unless there's logic to keep it from happening (which really there should be because we all hate it when it happens).

e: Oh dur, 300 songs. yeah that'll still happen one out of 7 spins or so without some 'super-shuffle' logic.

Tayter Swift fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 12, 2013

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Shifty Pony posted:

There are unavailable tracks on the official "Top 100 Tracks on Spotify" list.

For a second I thought this was YOSPOS cause I really wanted to emptyquote this. More because goddamn content owners hating their consumers than Spotify, but still, figure out your licensing crap.

I really wish the phone music players actually gave me the option to randomly sort a playlist in once and then save my place, though I recall Google Music being a much worse offender about only playing 10% of the playlist when set to shuffle.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
Is there a way to play a playlist in the iPhone mobile app WITHOUT shuffle?

Sometimes I just want to listen to an album all the way through, and I can't seem to figure out how to do it.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
...don't click shuffle? It will play playlist songs in order unless you specifically hit shuffle.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer

Blast Fantasto posted:

...don't click shuffle? It will play playlist songs in order unless you specifically hit shuffle.

Doesn't seem to work. I click the first track, it starts playing. After it is finished, it plays a random track.

Can't seem to figure out how to toggle shuffle. Clicking the icon doesn't work (just starts the shuffle function again)

Edit: found it!
Can't do it in the playlist window, or even in the regular playback options...

While a track is playing, press the "i" in the top left corner. In the screen that appears, there is a shuffle toggle.

Turambar fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 12, 2013

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
You don't even have to hit the button. If you just tap on the album cover of what you're currently listening to it will show that same menu.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Does anyone have an definiton of what "access" means in:

quote:

"The application SpotiLast would like permission to access your Last.fm account. You should only give access to your Last.fm account to third parties you trust."

I'm trying to find some kind of webpage/app to generate playlists based on my Last.fm recommendations, but they either a) don't work properly, b) don't exist at all or c) give vague bullshit like that.

Edit: Just after I wrote this rant, the playlist Soundmatch generated finally populated with entries. Initially it had only one track for quite a long time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It literally just means access to count what you listen to towards your Last.fm account as regards "scrobbling", your Last.fm Library, and what Last.fm recommends you.

Last.fm is like the ultimate in pointless awesomeness for music dorks. Somehow the single band I've listened to the most in the past 7 years - and by a margin of like, 100 listens - is Sloan of all people. I mean, I love them, it's true, but the fact they're beating out bands like Spiritualized for me is just weird.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

precision posted:

It literally just means access to count what you listen to towards your Last.fm account as regards "scrobbling", your Last.fm Library, and what Last.fm recommends you.

Last.fm is like the ultimate in pointless awesomeness for music dorks. Somehow the single band I've listened to the most in the past 7 years - and by a margin of like, 100 listens - is Sloan of all people. I mean, I love them, it's true, but the fact they're beating out bands like Spiritualized for me is just weird.

And also poo poo like this and this.

The one that graphs all your artists over time appears to be down though.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Just found this thread and I have to vent about recent updates. 0.8.8 and 0.9 were super loving slow on my Air. Launching the app would be a 2 minute ordeal to see the new releases.

Also not to mention the update where they cleared out my follow list of friends :psyduck:

I rolled back to 8.5 and it opens instantly again, and I have my album view and font.

I love Spotify, but their recent decisions have all been terrible.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Got a Nexus 7 and dear god is the android app's shittiness showing even more so. Landscape mode is non-existent, no notification controls AND no response to playback control intents means using it with projectM is a massive pain.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Heh, now try imagining it on Nexus 10. Why would any Android user pay for the premium account, considering the sorry state of the app?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
It's not great, but it works fine on my One X w/ cyanogenmod. Playback controls mapped to long pressing the volume buttons works fine, syncing stuff when on wifi works fine, so it does what I want. I also use it on my android TV-stick and the remote I got for that works great as well. The interface is kinda clunky and slow, poo poo takes up huge amounts of screen real estate, but at least it's functional and it never crashes for me.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Ihmemies posted:

Heh, now try imagining it on Nexus 10. Why would any Android user pay for the premium account, considering the sorry state of the app?

Well the initial update to the app to bring it up to jellybean compatibility was such a leap in the right direction that for a while I believed them when they said landscape mode was being worked on and was a priority.

I don't believe them anymore.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I've got a playlist with 3,058 songs synced to my laptop. A couple hundred of them are imported from local files. I know Spotify has a sync limit of 3,333 songs. But do those imported songs count against that sync limit, since they are essentially already synced?

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I found a track on Spotify that has some skips on it. Where do I send a report?

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

Spotify's new website really sucks. It's even worse because I have the web player activated so it kept giving me that poo poo. Took me a while to find this:
https://www.spotify.com/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-support/

1: Give Spotify feedback about something
2: Report broken songs

Give them Spotify URI of the broken track, which is spotify:track:letters and numbers. You get it by right clicking the track in the spotify client and choosing "Copy spotify URI"

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Have New Release listings been removed from the desktop client? All I get now is their useless 'Discover' page. "You listened to Quebec by Ween. Maybe you'd like Ween!"

I just want to see ALL the new releases. Not what Spotify recommends. Not what's just 'New and Popular' - all the new releases and reissues which were added to their catalog. Why is that something they wouldn't want to feature?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Superanos posted:

Spotify's new website really sucks. It's even worse because I have the web player activated so it kept giving me that poo poo. Took me a while to find this:
https://www.spotify.com/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-support/

1: Give Spotify feedback about something
2: Report broken songs

I'm convinced this literally never works. For 2 months, I've sent them 4 reports of an album being incorrectly filed as a "Single" rather than an "Album", each time getting a reply email "We'll fix it!"

...it's still not fixed.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

precision posted:

I'm convinced this literally never works. For 2 months, I've sent them 4 reports of an album being incorrectly filed as a "Single" rather than an "Album", each time getting a reply email "We'll fix it!"

...it's still not fixed.

I'm sure I read somewhere that only the label/artist can change tagging on albums etc?

Also "Spotify: What are you waiting for?" I'M WAITING FOR YOU TO UPLOAD THE NATIONAL'S NEW ALBUM, GUYS. :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

nomapple posted:

I'm sure I read somewhere that only the label/artist can change tagging on albums etc?

Well then Temporary Residence needs to get on that poo poo! MONO's best album is going unlistened to because it's buried way down on the list. :(

Also kind of stupid if only the label can change something that obvious.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Spotify :downs:

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
This is probably a label issue, but it's taking for-loving-ever to get new albums on Spotify lately. I've been waiting on the new National and Vampire Weekend albums for a week.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Blast Fantasto posted:

This is probably a label issue, but it's taking for-loving-ever to get new albums on Spotify lately. I've been waiting on the new National and Vampire Weekend albums for a week.

Yeah a lot of labels simply don't want to put their new stuff up right away. The new Low got added a week or so late, and the latest Dead Can Dance still only has a "sampler" and it's been out for like 6 months now (though their new live album is on there).

e: Also, that Cat Power picture, hahaha.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Apparently now they have playcount listings of top tracks for artists. That's pretty neat, and allows me to do personal indie dick waving contests :smug:

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

Ugh. The new Dillinger Escape Plan album only has two playable songs- the rest are grayed out. Talk about a day late and a dollar short... I like Spotify, but the lack of new content mixed with the perennially lovely iPhone app really has me rethinking the whole thing.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

stupid puma posted:

Ugh. The new Dillinger Escape Plan album only has two playable songs- the rest are grayed out. Talk about a day late and a dollar short... I like Spotify, but the lack of new content mixed with the perennially lovely iPhone app really has me rethinking the whole thing.

Huh I thought it was all working? That was quick...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

If it helps, the competition ain't so great either. I used to subscribe to MOG and they had plenty of problems too. Once Spotify brought out their Roku channel, I jumped ship, thinking Spotify would be more polished given their higher visibility in the market. Turns out they run an amateur operation too!

The two biggest recently done things that confound me as a user:

Removal of the total playlist time - why would they do this? Why remove something so useful and so unobtrusive? It's bizarre.

Replacing the 'What's New' page with the 'Discover' page - Thanks Spotify. I hated seeing new releases beyond the limited scope of what I had 'liked' in past listening. Now I have to go to Amazon or elsewhere to see new releases, and then search for them on Spotify. Insanity.

But again, having been on the other side of the fence, I know it's no better. I'd try Google's new service but I doubt they'll release a Roku channel and that's where I listen to a lot of music.

• Locked thread