Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I remember when we were speculating about the female titan that Christa was a really big candidate thrown around, mainly because of the scene after Reiner carves Annie's hand and she runs off, Christa shows up out of nowhere with a bunch of horses.

That said with Eren, he does his boxing stance pretty soon after he first appears so I always thought it was pretty obvious it was him. Annie didn't show her fighting style off until near the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I caught up with the series the chapter before the Annie is the female Titan reveal, and didn't see it coming at all, but as soon as I read the part with Mikasa thinking "it felt like humanities rage given form" (or something along those lines) I went "Oh, this Titan is Eren!"

Feriowind
Mar 22, 2009

But how does it taste?
I have drawn another thing!

I always liked how Titans can really fight with complete abandonment since they can regenerate their wounds, though Eren has yet to actually take advantage/master what he's capable of....

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
He looks so happy about killing dem titans, who cares he just headbutted someone so hard his brain is peeking out. :3:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Nice to see Eren's finally learnt to use his head.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Feriowind posted:

I have drawn another thing!

I always liked how Titans can really fight with complete abandonment since they can regenerate their wounds, though Eren has yet to actually take advantage/master what he's capable of....

I would imagine that human titans have to take some care, since they can still be disabled by injuries. For example, Annie had to go on the defensive to regenerate her eyes in the forest. It would be neat to see Eren learn to do that sort of targeted regeneration and skin hardening. :getin:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I only started reading the manga about a week ago, because I am impatient. I made sure not to spoil anything by reading this thread first, but when I read the chapters with the female titan my first thought on the page where she stares sadly at Armin was 'Woah. She looks like Annie.' But then when she fought Eren I caught zero of the hints, and assumed I was crazy.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

I think it was weird how, very soon after they had rescued Mikasa from slave traders who murdered her parents, Eren's dad is all happy face as he says "come live with us".

OR WAS IT??? :tinfoil:

I thought so too. Sometimes, convenient timing happens for dramatic purposes. But Eren's dad has both left just before the first major Titan attack in a century, and showed up at Mikasa's place (with Eren in tow for the first time) right after they got attacked. His smile in inviting Mikasa particularly reminded me of 'duper's delight' where a person deceiving others can't help but let their joy at their lies being believed shine through over their fake facial expressions. He is the one who sent Eren after them. Only real flaw is, it'd be a retarded plan to send Eren alone to where the bandits might have taken Mikasa for a fortunate series of events leading to the two kids defeating Mikasa's captors, even if he knows Mikasa has super strength. It's possible he was somehow keeping watch and would have backed them up if they needed it, or those guys (or one of them) was meant to play along with the act and then die willingly.

Also perhaps in that pattern is the disease he prevented. Though I think he must not just be a mad scientist and still be a reasonably competent physician, otherwise people wouldn't trust him to treat their children as much in the first place. But, it is something bad that happened that he just so happened to be able to prevent in a way that made him look better.

I loved that the reveal of the Armored and Colossal titan was so casual. I thought they were talking hypothetically at first, and then I was like, wait what? Holy poo poo this is going to be bad, they don't have them in an advantageous position like they did Annie. I've never seen anything like the casual reveal of something so major starting in a background conversation, it was really cool.

Like another guy said, I suspect SasquatchTitan has the ability to just turn people into titans in a pretty bullshit easy fashion. And some titans naturally turn out crippled, like Conny's mom with spindly arms and legs. Augh some of the titans are so drat freaky.

It's also very very weird that the Samsquanch spoke whatever language the people speak, and he didn't know people spoke it. AND he didn't know about the 3D gear. The fact that it so strongly resembles a Sasquatch makes me think that will be relevant somehow, like it's a lonely creature and perhaps a 'missing link' in the humans --> titans evolution chain so to speak.

Something massively huge is up with Ymir, more than with Bert and Ernie. The fact that that one normal titan that could talk mentioned the same name, and that Ymir made that speech about living under her own name, makes me think that she is the one that normal (but deviant) titan seemed to worship or at least hold in very high regard. It's possible that they share the same name by co-incidence, or Ymir is descended from the 'original' Ymir. Now, whether the talking titan knows Ymir strictly as a titan or that was some latent knowledge from its past human life remains to be seen, but my gut tells me Ymir has something to do with the creation of the titans. That scout really did bear more than a co-incidental resemblance to Ymir so I think it's significant; the titan thought she was Ymir or related to her and wanted to hold back from eating her, but couldn't.

Annie's dad shrouded in shadow's gotta be significant too. He's either someone we've met before or will meet before he is revealed. He told Annie to think of everyone as an enemy. Basically the same mindset regular Titans have, so it's a reasonable guess that whoever created the titans to devour humanity at every opportunity are working together. I would say though, the only real problem I have with the manga is how many times we're in people's heads and they still don't reveal any information. Like if we're seeing Annie remember her dad, unless she totally forgot what he looks like they should have shown his face, but didn't because it's gonna be important to the plot that we don't recognize him now or later.

One thing I have no idea about is all the human titans we've seen so far being basically the same age, including Ymir whose age may be faked. I'm not going to chalk that up to just being plot convenience so all the main characters are high-school aged and in the same class, so to speak. I would have guessed that Eren's dad experimented on kids to make them that way, but it seems unlikely he'd have access to any of them but Eren.

Also they should seriously give Eren some kind of giant weapon so he doesn't have to just try to punch and wrestle titans all the time. Maybe once he's mastered his titan mode. It would also be cool if he figured out the body-hardening technique and used it on his teeth so he could bite through other titan armor. Also, they should make a titan horse for him to ride. Regular titans are only fit to be ridden down.

Watching the anime with my friends who had no idea what it was about initially was pretty fun. They all got pretty into it even though we haven't watched anime in years.

Feriowind
Mar 22, 2009

But how does it taste?
I have been on a total Eren Titan drawing kick lately, his design is just so fun to draw (though maybe I just like drawing skinless people and some gore haha)! Hope you all don't mind some more art posts...

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Feriowind posted:

I have been on a total Eren Titan drawing kick lately, his design is just so fun to draw (though maybe I just like drawing skinless people and some gore haha)! Hope you all don't mind some more art posts...

Your drawings of Eren are getting better on a literally daily basis. :drat:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Feriowind posted:

You said this was digital art? How did you make your brushes look so scratchy like a pencil?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

JosephWongKS posted:

It's like watching the actual artist get better over the course of the manga!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!
It's possible that Ymir is a family name. That seems to be the case with "Historia" as well, since everyone immediately recognized the name as belonging to an important family. Ymir could be the name of the noble family that created the Titans or played some other role in the creating the current situation. That would explain why Ymir would conclude that people would rather see the name die.

Also, the "Connie's mom" Titan also spoke. Perhaps familiar sights can trigger moments of clarity?

Annie's father could be someone important. It could be someone not yet introduced, but Annie being Eren's half-sister would be hilarious. It would also by implication alone qualify Eren's dad for the Gendo Ikari Terrible Parenting in Anime Award.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 07:40 on May 22, 2013

Feriowind
Mar 22, 2009

But how does it taste?

Jackard posted:

You said this was digital art? How did you make your brushes look so scratchy like a pencil?

I just messed around with some brushes in Photoshop CS6 under the brush settings. You can increase the roughness of brushes under the "texture" setting in the brushes window.

JosephWongKS posted:

Aww thanks! Yeah, the more I draw him, the better of a feel I get for it so drawings come out nicer haha.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Hodgepodge posted:

It's possible that Ymir is a family name. That seems to be the case with "Historia" as well, since everyone immediately recognized the name as belonging to an important family. Ymir could be the name of the noble family that created the Titans or played some other role in the creating the current situation. That would explain why Ymir would conclude that people would rather see the name die.

Also, the "Connie's mom" Titan also spoke. Perhaps familiar sights can trigger moments of clarity?

Annie's father could be someone important. It could be someone not yet introduced, but Annie being Eren's half-sister would be hilarious. It would also by implication alone qualify Eren's dad for the Gendo Ikari Terrible Parenting in Anime Award.

No, her last name Reiss was the family name. Historia is her given name.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Feriowind posted:

Aww thanks! Yeah, the more I draw him, the better of a feel I get for it so drawings come out nicer haha.

Feriowind posted:

Oh man, this manga is AWESOME! Though I do kinda wish I found out about this after it was finished. The wait for the next chapter is gonna be absolute torture!

Well, here's some fanart that I drew since Titan Eren is loving amazing!

eren titan by feriowind, on Flickr

The first one you did is pretty kick-rear end too!

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

Metropolis posted:

Like another guy said, I suspect SasquatchTitan has the ability to just turn people into titans in a pretty bullshit easy fashion. And some titans naturally turn out crippled, like Conny's mom with spindly arms and legs. Augh some of the titans are so drat freaky.

Some force being able to forcibly transform humans into titans is all but guaranteed, yeah. I mean, consider:

A swarm of Titans came from the direction of Connie's home village, which was completely destroyed without a drop of blood being spilled. The characters say that if the villagers all escaped beforehand, the Titans wouldn't have bothered destroying the empty buildings. The logical conclusion is that the villagers were all hiding in their houses when they were transformed, destroying the buildings from the inside. They then rampaged off towards the population centres, leaving only the transformed Connie's mum, who couldn't move because of her tiny limbs.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I was just thinking about how you would die many times over during the process of training to use the 3DMG. Like, literally one mistake and you fall from 40 feet in the air while traveling really fast. To be fair, Eren did mention something about people dying during their years of training.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I started reading this manga a few days ago and I'm up to chapter 34. I'm mixed on it. The setting and build-up are compelling and the characters are somewhat decent, so that's enough to keep me reading. But man, the pacing in this manga is just insanely glacial. Things drag on way too long and the narrative choices are just mind boggling. Just about every action beat is stopped dead and for 10-20 pages there is a flashback or an inner monologue to explain or to give context to what a character just said or someone's state of mind before the action resumes like nothing has happened. This just takes me completely out of the story and it just makes reading through all that a slog because the action is genuinely exciting. Does the author improve upon this in the remaining chapters I have left until I'm caught up? It's like I'm reading a storyboard for an anime.

All that said, it's not bad at all. Some of the time I think things move along just fine but most of the time it takes a while to get anywhere and the constant interruptions in the action for melodrama or backstory just takes me out of it. I haven't watched the anime, does it suffer the same issues or do they have more linear storytelling with less flashbacks?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

The anime is more linear, but honestly I'd say that the action serves the story and not the other way around. Like, punching titans is cool but ultimately not what the author is focusing on. :shobon: But give the anime a try since everything there is chronological

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Mr. Vile posted:

Some force being able to forcibly transform humans into titans is all but guaranteed, yeah. I mean, consider:

A swarm of Titans came from the direction of Connie's home village, which was completely destroyed without a drop of blood being spilled. The characters say that if the villagers all escaped beforehand, the Titans wouldn't have bothered destroying the empty buildings. The logical conclusion is that the villagers were all hiding in their houses when they were transformed, destroying the buildings from the inside. They then rampaged off towards the population centres, leaving only the transformed Connie's mum, who couldn't move because of her tiny limbs.

Another interesting thing was the titan in that castle basement. At first I had thought, maybe the titans came in from an underground tunnel, and maybe that's true. Another possibility is that the titan was a person who was hiding out in the basement and was transformed down there.

What's most interesting to me about Sasquatch Titan is it looks like it's not of human origin... but it speaks whatever language everyone else is speaking. There is probably a whole gang of Samsquanches out there, possibly interacting with or created by humans.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Ytlaya posted:

I was just thinking about how you would die many times over during the process of training to use the 3DMG. Like, literally one mistake and you fall from 40 feet in the air while traveling really fast. To be fair, Eren did mention something about people dying during their years of training.

Yeap, just look at how banged up Eren got when he bounced across those rooves, or how that one guy in the anime was moving with such speed that the impact of a titan's hand completely destroyed him. Trainees were immediately kicked out if they couldn't stay upright in the training device after X days for a reason.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

Jimbot posted:

It's like I'm reading a storyboard for an anime.

In a sense, that's what a manga is. The same genre(s) in a different medium.

If the action is the part you find interesting, you'll probably keep being annoyed by the rest. Switching between character POVs, showing how characters are interpreting events, and shifting around the scene chronologically are all just basic storytelling devices. Interrupting a conflict with a shift in scenes to keep the reader wondering about the resolution is basically Serial Storytelling 101.

Not to say that you have to like how this particular story uses those techniques.

(I didn't notice that Christa had been using a different version of Reiss as her last name before. The point otherwise stands though.

Although part of the point of making her a noble is that she seems to have some natural charisma that makes other characters want to follow her, which is almost certainly being set up for a reason. She's probably technically in line for some important position, and the politics of that could easily tie into everything else).

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 23, 2013

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

Hodgepodge posted:

(I didn't notice that Christa had been using a different version of Reiss as her last name before. The point otherwise stands though.

Although part of the point of making her a noble is that she seems to have some natural charisma that makes other characters want to follow her, which is almost certainly being set up for a reason. She's probably technically in line for some important position, and the politics of that could easily tie into everything else).

I'm personally hoping this manga escalates to the point where the Scouting Legion concluding that the only way for them to reach the truth is to overthrow the powers that be, probably using Historia's name and bloodline in the process. The Church and crown are apparently colluding to conceal the truth of the walls, after all.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The scouting legion might have experience on their side, but there is the little problem of how they keep dying while the military police spend their days not dying. Relatively few people join the scouting legion, for that matter.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Serious Frolicking posted:

The scouting legion might have experience on their side, but there is the little problem of how they keep dying while the military police spend their days not dying. Relatively few people join the scouting legion, for that matter.

They have Eren and, assuming Christa goes along, Ymir on their side. They also have Mikasa and Levi who are probably more valuable than both of those combined.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Popo posted:

They have Eren and, assuming Christa goes along, Ymir on their side. They also have Mikasa and Levi who are probably more valuable than both of those combined.

Eren has a mad-on for titans. He would never fight humans, because that would make him no different from Reiner and Bertholdt who caused the death of his mother.

Ymir doesn't exactly have the most impressive titan form.

3d gears are incredibly specialized tools. They are only worthwhile for fighting titans.

Even if Mikasa and Levi could by some amazing chance win 10 to 1 or thereabouts, the military police has a lot more than 20 people available.

Cannons exist, so firearms probably do too. The scouting legion wouldn't have much use for them, but if anyone has guns it would be the military police.

No one would believe the scouting legion over, well, just about anyone else. From the very first chapter they showed how the scouting legion unnerves the general populace.

The industrial zones are controlled by the government. Where would the scouting legion get the gas canisters, blades, horses, medical supplies and food to fight a war?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
There are guards using rifles in the opening, and in the last episode that guy shot himself.

e: Forgot what thread I was in, geez.

Schubalts fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 23, 2013

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Eren has a mad-on for titans. He would never fight humans, because that would make him no different from Reiner and Bertholdt who caused the death of his mother.
Eh. He's totally cool with putting down rabid beasts who happen to look like humans though. He's been at it since he was like 9 or something.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Eiba posted:

Eh. He's totally cool with putting down rabid beasts who happen to look like humans though. He's been at it since he was like 9 or something.

That was as a human. After seeing Annie in action, it would be strange if he didn't have an aversion to smushing dudes.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

That was as a human. After seeing Annie in action, it would be strange if he didn't have an aversion to smushing dudes.

Only if they aren't bad dudes. If the interior is getting in the way of killing all Titans, then Eren is going to be on board 200% with stomping some people while in Titan form. If nothing else, the huge barrage of kill him gunfire he protected himself, Armin and Mikasa from right after his first transformation shows that the firearms advantage of the interior is severely limited.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Gyges posted:

Only if they aren't bad dudes. If the interior is getting in the way of killing all Titans, then Eren is going to be on board 200% with stomping some people while in Titan form. If nothing else, the huge barrage of kill him gunfire he protected himself, Armin and Mikasa from right after his first transformation shows that the firearms advantage of the interior is severely limited.
In fairness, there's a difference between the lovely people giving bad orders, and the neutral/good people just ignorantly carrying them out. Even if the center deserved to be smashed, the soldiers defending it are a different matter, and there could be an issue there.

Also, while the interior is definitely an "enemy" in this manga, it's one that I imagine will be fought with intrigue and intelligence, not a titan rampage in any case.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
And in all honesty, I would not be surprised to see more human-titans populating some of the higher ups/military police, so I could see Eren-Titan and maybe Ymir and others combating any higher up human-titans.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
But really, it won't come to a revolution because SnK is well-written. Introducing a major conflict that none of the characters are equipped to deal with on any level is not exactly a hallmark of good writing.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!
If there is a revolutionary scenario, it would be characters like Pixis doing the organizing. There's plenty of dissatisfaction, and the walls are shrinking. The human population is probably a lynch mob waiting for someone to hang.

If Eren discovers that humans created the current situation, he won't see them as people anymore. The kid is pure hate. His original beef with the titans was humanity being caged, and he was willing to start a fight over people saying that humanity shouldn't try to escape.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

But really, it won't come to a revolution because SnK is well-written. Introducing a major conflict that none of the characters are equipped to deal with on any level is not exactly a hallmark of good writing.

Pack it up people, Serious Frolicking has invaded this thread and set the rules for what will and will not happen in this series. His word is law, and he will brook no dissent.

The author has shown they have good storytelling chops. If a revolution happens, I am sure they can pull it off convincingly.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 24, 2013

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Pack it up people, Serious Frolicking has invaded this thread and set the rules for what will and will not happen in this series. His word is law, and he will brook no dissent.

The author has shown they have good storytelling chops. If a revolution happens, I am sure they can pull it off convincingly.

You are right, it will actually turn into a shounen cooking manga. Sure, none of the cast seems to give two shits about cooking and it wouldn't help with that little titan problem, but I'm sure they can pull it off convincingly.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

You are right, it will actually turn into a shounen cooking manga. Sure, none of the cast seems to give two shits about cooking and it wouldn't help with that little titan problem, but I'm sure they can pull it off convincingly.

I fail to see how a revolution that is directly tied to the Titan problem via humans being the ones who started it/are controlling it wouldn't work. I mean, that's still dealing with the titan problem, just maybe not in the way you'd normally expect. Honestly, that's kind of the way I'm expecting it to go. It comes out the walls are titans and the government is controlling it all, and humanity splinters to fight among themselves with titans basically being used as poorly-guided weapons by the resistance and human-titans being a part of the loyalist army.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
One my favourite things about the Eren-Titan, and thus human-Titan in general, reveal is it changes the nature of the conflict entirely. Rather than a man vs nature conflict, it's really more of a man vs man conflict. I wouldn't be surprised if the titans, and intelligent titans like Ymir and the Sasquatch Titan turn out to be from another human nation, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Given Reiner and Berty were from the same village and are both titans, it's entirely possible. Isn't the area of the outer most walls supposed to be about the size of France? Forget where I read that. But if the planet as a whole is the same size as ours, that leaves a ton of space for other nations.