Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Changed vote to C (was B)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

HardDisk you traitor to B-kind!

New totals
A-8
B-20
C-42 (3 negative)
D-1
E-2
F-0
G-1
H-7 (1 negative vote)
I-1
J- 9
D/E-1

I'll keep the tally updated on this post. Plus a little trivia, the last game was around the mid-80s participant wise towards the end the main group game, we're at 96 people this update as of baby picture.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 24, 2013

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum
Voting C

Christina Arugula
Aug 10, 2004
How do you like your lawn? Broiled or charred?
Ramrod XTreme
Go for the Hyoid!

Janac
May 12, 2010
Let's do C.

gnarl
Jul 28, 2010
Soiled Meat

Tremynci posted:

Oh, my Lord, this. But I see it more like this:

Your father stares down at you sternly, his hands holding Jalitha's hair out, and grates, "Beg forgiveness, my son! Pray that this witch has not defiled you forever!"

You look at Jalitha. She smiles at you -- a small smile, and it obviously hurts her. You look down at the tooth and dig your heels in, remembering when you fell and skinned your knee running after Papa, and Jalitha cuddled you and kissed it all better. You don't want to do this! Then Jalitha nods a little and smiles again. You rub your toe back and forth in the dirt, still looking down, and mumble "Sorry, Mr Fishy," just loud enough for the assembly to hear, as you put the tooth to her hair and clumsily hack through it. As you lean over to finish the job, your father doesn't hear you whisper, "Sorry, Jalitha," with a voice full of tears, or see you give her hug.

Which, I guess, is C.

This is probably the best possible outcome. Going for C.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Edit: I made a gallery if people want to use voting icons.

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 23, 2013

XOXO
Mar 8, 2013

Ask me about being weaker than a 60 year-old British woman.
Voting

edited for icon.

XOXO fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 24, 2013

baby picture
Aug 7, 2004

I wish I could press a button and a rope would instantly tie around my ankle and I would be hung out of the highest window of the highest skyscraper in the world
Voting

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Canuck-Errant posted:

Edit: I made a gallery if people want to use voting icons.

For people who skipped this post, here are the images:

my dad fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 24, 2013

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Someone said they thought the vote icons were too large, so I made a set of smaller icons instead:

I'm working on a second set for if we have to do multiple choices in a vote. Don't worry, it'll be classy.

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 24, 2013

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
At the end of the last thread, wasn't there a vote for what the next game would be? Which one is this?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Much of the village is out fishing or seeing to the other every day tasks of life but you feel this moment as if everyone in the world is watching you. And many women watch from their homes and men and children watching from other vantage points.

Jalitha is on the ground before you, her face badly bruised, your father still crying, holding her hair out long.

"Curse the witch!" your father screams "and beg that you are not defiled in the eyes of Asherah!"

You do your best to stay silent but it is just too much for you, you are a young child. You begin to sob and cry. Jalitha tries to smile to you again, she says nothing.

You clutch the tooth tightly and slice through the hair easily, the tooth is VERY sharp.

As you cut off sections of her hair, your father stretches out other portions of her hair and crying, you cut off most of her long golden hair.

Your father scowls at his brother. "Take the witch if you want her, Jorah" your father says with venom. Your uncle Jorah looks at him with hatred, lifts her in his arms and carries her away as she weeps gently. You drop the tooth and try to follow but your father grabs you in one hand and a pile of her hair in the other and drags you to the beach.

He screams out to Asherah, cuts his palms on the giant tooth and says many things you don't understand, partially because you do not know many of the words and partially because he is ritually throwing Jalitha's long pretty golden hair into the water while half drowning you. Her pretty hair sticks to your face and drifts past your eyes as you scream and struggle for breath.

There is lightning as you continue to struggle for breath and have your head dunked beneath the water again and again.

You pass out.

You awaken in your home.

You are very, very sleepy and feel as if your eyelids were being dragged closed by the strength of the tides. You see you are being held in your mothers arms, who yells out your name "Og!" and then leans down to kiss your face with tearful eyes. You fall back to sleep in her arms.

You have a name and, even if it was not mentioned prior and it is Og. It was definitely not excluded prior to this point by mistake, the same mistake which occurred several posts in a row, but rather, was left out as a clever framing device, on purpose, to make you identify more with your persona!

Time passes.

You recover from nearly drowning and find that Jalitha has left your home and now lives with your uncle Jorah. You frequently sneak out of your bed in the middle of the night and enter theirs. Sometimes your father angrily drags you home, frequently he does not.

As you grow older, you find that the other children of the village do not want to play with you. Your hair is shorter from your half finished haircut and their parents fear your father and tell them to keep away. You also look different. You are tall for your age and the top of your scalp has an odd line where no hair grows, where Jalitha cut you as your father pulled her back. You have no siblings to play with.

Six years pass.

Even young children are expected to contribute to the labor of the village. During this time, you spend varying amounts of time with different people and learn many things as you help them in small ways. The more time you spent with each, the more you learned from them.

You spent time with your father, who tried to teach you the duties, rituals, lore and sacred names you would need to know when you one day become the village priest of Asherah. His lessons included reading the future from shells and other objects washed up upon the beach and predicting the weather by watching the tides, something he is apparently able to do fairly accurately, at least as far as your young mind can tell. It is almost universally believed in your village that if sacred rituals are not done to honor Asherah, the fish will leave at best and your village will be hit by storms at worst. Your father is no more loving than before, he is cold, distant, impatient and quick to criticize at the smallest mistakes, but at least he is paying attention to you now. You even win small and highly precious bits of praise from him when you learn a particularly hard lesson perfectly. At times, you ran out on his lessons and tasks and he punished you and sometimes dragged you back when you ran away from him.

You spent time with your uncle Jorah who was always glad to see you. With him and sometimes with his brothers, Amatar and Ikaria, you went out in the small boats your people use to fish. You watched him cast nets and pull up fish and also watched him paddle a boat. You learned the names and appearances of fish and some of how they live.

Sometimes you saw enormous fish in the water beneath you and sometimes you saw them spout water high into the air. You were very afraid the first time you saw one, but your uncle Jorah smiled and told you not to be afraid because they are the grandchildren of Asherah and the children of Asherah's gentle daughter, Ninveh. Your uncle teaches you that these creatures are minor gods and it is very good luck to be splashed by the spouts of water they shoot through the back of their heads, for if a fisherman is splashed by them, they will surely catch many fish that month.

You spent time with your uncle Pagam and helped him make stone and wood tools. You even helped him start work on some of the boats your people use. You also watched him cut down trees and sometimes went with him into the forest to try to catch small game like rabbits and deer. Pagam is one of the best hunters in the village, though your people do not eat much meat. He does not talk to you very much, but he seems to like you. Often as you sit beside him, chipping flakes off of a rock to shape it, he smiles at you and places an arm around your shoulder, or ruffles your hair.

You spent time with your mother and watched her make nets, clothing, baskets and rope. She also makes beads for the village from pearls and seashells. Your mother is kind to you, but is obviously unhappy with her marriage to your father, not that she has any options. On your ninth birthday, the day uncertain, but the season known more clearly as your people track the seasons, not the days, she gave you a necklace of beautifully cut shells.

You spent time with Jalitha. Jalitha walks more slowly since your father beat her and her hair slowly grew back. You watched as she cooked many wonderfully tasting foods. She also told you stories of far away lands and battles with fantastical creatures as well as the names of giant creatures who live within the clouds and their stories. She continues to be kind and loving to you.

You spent some time alone, exploring the beaches, tide pools and caves along the coastline at times when other children would play together.

You spent some time in the forest, climbing trees and sometimes spying on other children as they played.

You spent time swimming in the ocean, alone, as other children played.

Twice a year your father and all the men of the village leave for a week. In the weeks leading up to this, all within the village seem on edge and fearful and the women of the village afraid. The women wait together at the edge of the village on the seventh night and sometimes one of the women lets out a great shriek when she sees her husband has not returned, the other women comfort her as best they can. You have asked your mother what happens to the men and where they go, she tells you that you will know when you are older and not to worry because your father will return. The oldest boys of the village go with them on these trips and return as young men. Sometimes everyone returns, sometimes, just one or two of the men, or even the boys, do not. You know that one day you will go on these trips, when you are ready to be a man. Jalitha did not spend these times with the other women, but alone, or sometimes, with just you. When you were afraid that Jorah would not return, she told you not to be afraid and promised you that a sky giant named El and other sky giants would send Jorah home safely. During these frightful nights, you were sometimes with her as she prayed to sky giants for Jorah's safe return. At other times, your father has caught her praying to the sky giants before and gotten VERY angry when he caught her and beat her for doing so.

1. You are now ten years old. You spent time with many people over the last six years, sometimes by choice, sometimes, you were forced to. Please order the following in the order you spent the most time with them, from most frequent to least frequent. Before anyone asks, I swear to Denziroh that this vote does not correspond to deciding some sort of secret stats like str / con / dex / int / wis / cha or any other similar formulation, so, trying to correspond different votes to stats in this vote won't achieve that goal.

A. Father
B. Uncle Jorah
C. Uncle Pagam
D. Mom
E. Jalitha
F. Alone along the beach
G. Alone in the forest
H. Alone, swimming in the ocean

2. When the men of the village left for a week, did you pray with Jalitha for Uncle Jorah to return safely?
Please pick ONE.
Because of the large number of options, please make sure to include the letter, to make it easier to count. Thank you!

A. Yes, to Ashera and to the other gods of your people, because you believe in them
B. Yes, to Ashera and to the other gods of your people, because everyone believes in them
C. Yes, with Jalitha to her sky giant, because you believe in him
D. Yes, with Jalitha to her sky giant, because you think it will make Jalitha happy, but you don't believe in him
E. Yes, with Jalitha to her sky giant, because you think it will make Jalitha happy, but you don't care if he exists or not, you just want to make Jalitha happy
F. Yes, to both Ashera and the gods of your people, alongside Jalitha's the sky giant, but you only believe in Asherah and his children
G. Yes, to both Ashera and the gods of your people, alongside Jalitha's the sky giant, but you only believe in her sky giant
H. Yes, to both Ashera and the gods of your people, alongside Jalitha's the sky giant, you don't know what you believe
I. No, you did not pray, you are angry at the thought of prayer, because of your fathers harsh treatment of you, but have not decided if you are angry at the gods or not, you are just angry
J. No, you did not pray, you are angry at all gods, because of your fathers harsh treatment of you
K. No, you did not pray, you do not BELIEVE in gods because of your fathers harsh treatment
L. Yes, to both Ashera and the gods of your people, alongside Jalitha's sky giant, you believe in them both

If you want to, feel free to join us on irc #madgod on synirc.net. The channel tends to always have some people in it and is especially active when updates go up.

If you do not know what IRC is, here is a web based chat version which will not require you to register or download anything: http://chat.mibbit.com/

Diogines fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 24, 2013

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

D. Mom
B. Uncle Jorah
E. Jalitha
G. Alone in the forest
C. Uncle Pagam
F. Alone along the beach
A. Father

E. Yes, with Jalitha to her sky giant, because you think it will make Jalitha happy, but you don't care if he exists or not, you just want to make Jalitha happy

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

We had 2 option Es for question 2, fixed!

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
1. B, C, A, E, D, G, H, F

2. Big ol' G

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003

B. Uncle Jorah
E. Jalitha
C. Uncle Pagam
D. Mom
G. Alone in the forest
A. Father
F. Alone along the beach

L. Yes, to both Ashera and the gods of your people, alongside Jalitha's the sky giant, you believe in them both

Hot Dog Day 80 fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 24, 2013

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Jalitha
Father
Uncle Jorah
Mom
Beach
Swimming
Forest
Pagam

2H, pray to both, don't know what to believe.

eta: I think spending time with both father and Jalitha is good for keeping our options open. We get to learn the stories and beliefs of both those who worship El, and our own people. Jorah is clearly a pretty good dude and will be a good adviser or companion on adventures. Mom is good for being mom.

The beach takes priority over the remaining choices due to the message we received there. Swimming, similarly, has importance. The forest and Pagam both seem less important, though I'll admit they'll be useful skills when/if we leave the village.

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 24, 2013

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

1)
A. Father
B. Uncle Jorah
F. Alone along the beach
D. Mom
E. Jalitha
C. Uncle Pagam
G. Alone in the forest

My reasoning: I want us to learn the rituals of Asherah because I want us to believe in him, I want us to spend a lot of time with Jorah because he's a cool dude and he seems to be a great fit for our counselor when we get older and succeed our father as high priest of Asherah. I want us to be familiar with the sea and the beach and the fish. I want us to breathe Asherah. Our father is a jerk, but Asherah is worth the sacrifice.

Seriously I want us to become a faithful and kind high priest, did you guys not see the "a storm is coming" part? We have our father's gift, let's be Asherah's voice on Earth.

2) Option A

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 24, 2013

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.
First Options: B, C, D, F, H, E, A, G

Second Option:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Set Two:

Edit:
To use these, just copy the image URL and paste it in the edit field. Forum software should do the rest.

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 24, 2013

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

1. B. Jorah Good role model AND giver of useful skills. Plus he has enough religious knowledge that he can keep us filled in on most important things.
2. A.Dad I bet the esoteric knowledge he provides will be really useful later. He can easily fill in any gaps of our religious education Jorah can't provide. Besides, you don't have to be a good guy to be a good teacher.
3. C. Pagam If we spend time in the interior later, knowing how to hunt will be handy.
4. H Swimming Alone We live on the beach, we want to figure out boats. We should try to be excellent swimmers.
5. F. Alone in the beach Fishing skills are handy
6. D. Mom Learning how to make ropes and nets can't hurt. Plus, mom seems genuinely kind.
7. G. Alone in the forest Hunting skills are next handy
8. E. Jalitha What can I say, I don't trust her for knowingly turning us into a pariah!

2. A. Dad may be a dick, but Ashera and his whale grandchildren seem pretty cool. I'd rather trust in the fishies than in a sky giant that sounds suspiciously like a (notoriously pissy) one god. Just because Jalitha is kind of nice (when she isn't screwing us over) doesn't mean El is the kind of guy we want to buddy up with.

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 24, 2013

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Actual vote:
1. H, B, F, A, D, E, C, G

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Per IRC request, I added option L to question 1.

L. Yes, to both Ashera and the gods of your people, alongside Jalitha's sky giant, you believe in them both

Diogines fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 24, 2013

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Diogines posted:

Per IRC request, I added option L to question 1.

L. Yes, to both Ashera and the gods of your people, alongside Jalitha's the sky giant, you believe in them both

Changing my vote to L then.

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003

SerSpook posted:

Changing my vote to L then.

Same

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
1:

A. Father - As the next High Priest we probably spend a good part of our waking life being groomed for the succession!
H. Alone, swimming in the ocean - we had a vision while under-water, I bet we keep coming back trying to learn more
E. Jalitha
B. Uncle Jorah
F. Alone along the beach
C. Uncle Pagam
D. Mom
G. Alone in the forest

2:

L Yes, to both Ashera and the gods of your people, alongside Jalitha's the sky giant, you believe in them both

After growing up in our village, surrounded by believers and raised as the High Priest's son, I think it only makes sense that we'd worship Ashera. Our love of Jalitha would expose us to her god, which probably means we'd worship her god in a pinch too (or at least ask him for favors!).

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 24, 2013

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

C. Uncle Pagam - BE A HUNTER, SCOUT, SPY!
G. Alone in the forest - Experience the wilderness!
F. Alone along the beach - Consider there's more out there than Og's village, Athar
B. Uncle Jorah
E. Jalitha
A. Father
D. Mom

I want Og to believe in a deity of someday, but not El, Asherah or anything mentioned in the game yet.

Althair
Jul 26, 2006
words are weapons
1. Father
2. Uncle Jorah
3. Jalitha
4. Mom
5. Alone, swimming in the ocean
6. Alone along the beach
7. Alone in the forest
8. Uncle Pagam

L All the world must be peopled with gods as it is with men, for the fish are little gods and the great god dwells beyond and among them, and there are gods in the sky and all around.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

E,B,A,G,C,D,F,H

and

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
1. A, B, E, D, C, H, G, F

2. A

We heard something from Ashera while almost drowning, my reasoning is that we will likely have further interactions. Maybe he won't mind if we believe in El & co. but I think we should play it safe until we know for sure.

edit: if, taking the thread title at face value, the coming storm is a battle among the various beings of worship, a sea god would be pretty rad. You guys remember Otac, right?

dyzzy fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 24, 2013

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
1:

A: Father: Don't need to like him, but he seems pretty fanatical, so I assume he's spent a lot of time drilling and training us on the rituals of God.
H: We've been deeply indoctrinated with reverence for the sea and its God, the ocean is our constant companion, in it we are whole.
B: We seem to like Jorah, and seeing as we're somewhat of a pariah, and our father is intimidating, we probably spend time with him as a social role model.
E: Jalitha is around Jorah most of the time, so I guess we must see her when we see Jorah.
F: The shore is pretty close to the sea, and helps when we need to be dry.
D: Mom; we'd probably spend more time around her than Jalitha, but again, Jorah.
C: Who the hell is this Pagem? Cool uncle, but not as cool as Jorah.
G: The forest is not as close to the sea as the shore is.

2:

A. Yes, to Ashera and to the other gods of your people, because you believe in them

Here's the thing, our people are strongly superstitious, our father is a fanatical high priest, he's been training us our whole life to be high-priest after him. We have no real frame of reference, other than Jalitha, by which to judge the truth of our beliefs, aside from the assurances of our father and our people. The world seems to work as they say. Also, there was that voice we heard in the ocean, our trusted ocean, our beloved ocean.

Edit: ^^^ Woah, that's some nice voting there. Didn't notice that. Thumbs up dude.

Edit2: Actually, changed H from third-to-last to second. We're a bit of a social outcast, and in keeping with the rest of my post, we probably take solace in the sea first, before looking to other people. Also changed F to fifth, after Jalitha, since we must be there pretty often, what with it being so close to the ocean and all.

Theglavwen fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 24, 2013

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

A. Father - let's get us some priest powers (and the ability to predict complex events like weather and tides based on extremely limited information. This is a ridiculously useful skill and if we're clever will serve us in all walks of life.)
G. Alone in the forest - Going to want to be able to sneak and handle the land when we're on our own
E. Jalitha - The argument that we want to know both rituals is a good one, and makes this more important than otherwise
B. Uncle Jorah
H. Alone, swimming in the ocean - We are of Ashera, we should visit so he knows us and we know him
F. Alone along the beach - ditto, storms, yadda yadd
C. Uncle Pagam - seems like a pedo, but hunting means archery and archery is OP for this technology level (also hunters are the warriors even if there are no bows)
D. Mom - gently caress her, she never does anything and watching is boring

2. L - We had to go and choose to let other people solve our problems, may as well try to get as many on our side as possible.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Voting

A. Father
E. Jalitha
B. Uncle Jorah
F. Alone along the beach
D. Mom
C. Uncle Pagam
G. Alone in the forest

AND

H. Yes, to both Ashera and the gods of your people, alongside Jalitha's the sky giant, you don't know what you believe

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
[1]

F. Alone along the beach
E. Jalitha
B. Uncle Jorah
C. Uncle Pagam
D. Mom
G. Alone in the forest
A. Father

[2]

K. No, you did not pray, you do not BELIEVE in gods because of your fathers harsh treatment

Globofglob
Jan 14, 2008
C. Uncle Pagam
A. Father
B. Uncle Jorah
F. Alone along the beach
D. Mom
G. Alone in the forest
E. Jalitha

2-A I believe in the fish.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
1. From most to least.
A. Father
B. Uncle Jorah
C. Uncle Pagam
E. Jalitha
G. Alone in the forest
F. Alone along the beach
D. Mom

2. A. Yes, to Ashera and to the other gods of your people, because you believe in them

I think the best way to get closer to your gods is to commune with them. Gotta swim them oceans and pet those whales.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

1. G, F, D, B, E, A, H

2. H

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

1. B C A H G E D F

2. L - Hey, we'll believe in anything that listens. And it's a big world, plenty of room for other gods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries
A. Father
B. Uncle Jorah
E. Jalitha
D. Mom
C. Uncle Pagam