Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
1:

B. Uncle Jorah - An invaluable rolemodel, we spend as much time with him as possible.
H. Alone, swimming in the ocean - Drowning was a life-changing experience for us. We keep coming back, trying to figure out what it means.
A. Father - We're being groomed for succession. We have little choice but to spend time with him.
D. Mom - She's mom. We spend time with her, and enjoy it. For the most part, she replaces the role Jalitha played when we were an infant.
F. Alone along the beach - Fascination with the beach goes hand-in-hand along with fascination with the ocean.
E. Jalitha - We inevitably spend time with Jalitha when around Uncle Jorah. I imagine Father tries to keep us away from her for a long time after the incident, but we bond with her once again, after the thing mentioned in question two.
C. Uncle Pagam - I just don't consider it feasable for us to spend much time with Uncle Pagam after spending so much time learning the inner mysteries of the faith and swimming.
G. Alone in the forest - Nor do I see us really being very fascinated by the forest at all.

2:

L. Yes, to both Ashera and the gods of your people, alongside Jalitha's the sky giant, you believe in them both - Of course we believe in Ashera. Everyone believes in Ashera. And yet Jalitha has impacted our lives in a fascinating way. We definitely don't believe in her god to the same extent as Ashera--- after all, we are the next high priest of Ashera, and our faith in Ashera's predominance is unshakeable. Perhaps we think that her god and our god are the same one, just being spoken of in different ways. We pray to both, but Ashera gets the majority of the offerings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bad Llama
Nov 22, 2004
The coke is just for color...
A. Father
B. Uncle Jorah
E. Jalitha
D. Mom
C. Uncle Pagam
H. Alone, swimming in the ocean
F. Alone along the beach
G. Alone in the forest

L. Yes, to both Ashera and the gods of your people, alongside Jalitha's sky giant, you believe in them both

Growing up, we would probably need some kind of good role model. Father may not be kind, but he is in control and a strong personality in the village. When not learning from him, I suspect hanging out with Uncle Jorah and Jalitha would be a favorite past time. Mom doesn't seem to have much personality but you only ever have one mother, so you need to remember her.

It sounds like we're getting alot of religious teaching from both Father AND Jalitha, two people who are very important to us. Og would probably grow up believing in both Ashera and El.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

1.B, A, E, D, C, H, G, F

2. A

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

1. Abstain, because I simply can't decide :saddowns:

2. L. I'm hoping this doesn't screw us over in the long run if the gods are in a free for all war or El and Asherah don't get along.

Is it possible to ask Jalitha next chance we get what El and co. think of Asherah?

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

1. F, H, A, B, D, C, G, and E

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

1. Abstain, because I simply can't decide :saddowns:

2. L. I'm hoping this doesn't screw us over in the long run if the gods are in a free for all war or El and Asherah don't get along.

Is it possible to ask Jalitha next chance we get what El and co. think of Asherah?

1:
B. Uncle Jorah
C. Uncle Pagam
E. Jalitha
D. Mom
F. Alone along the beach
G. Alone in the forest
A. Father

2: L

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.
1. A/E/F/H/B/D/G/C

2. L

Klingtron
Sep 10, 2011

Theglavwen posted:

1:

A: Father: Don't need to like him, but he seems pretty fanatical, so I assume he's spent a lot of time drilling and training us on the rituals of God.
H: We've been deeply indoctrinated with reverence for the sea and its God, the ocean is our constant companion, in it we are whole.
B: We seem to like Jorah, and seeing as we're somewhat of a pariah, and our father is intimidating, we probably spend time with him as a social role model.
E: Jalitha is around Jorah most of the time, so I guess we must see her when we see Jorah.
F: The shore is pretty close to the sea, and helps when we need to be dry.
D: Mom; we'd probably spend more time around her than Jalitha, but again, Jorah.
C: Who the hell is this Pagem? Cool uncle, but not as cool as Jorah.
G: The forest is not as close to the sea as the shore is.

2:

A. Yes, to Ashera and to the other gods of your people, because you believe in them

Here's the thing, our people are strongly superstitious, our father is a fanatical high priest, he's been training us our whole life to be high-priest after him. We have no real frame of reference, other than Jalitha, by which to judge the truth of our beliefs, aside from the assurances of our father and our people. The world seems to work as they say. Also, there was that voice we heard in the ocean, our trusted ocean, our beloved ocean.

Edit: ^^^ Woah, that's some nice voting there. Didn't notice that. Thumbs up dude.

Edit2: Actually, changed H from third-to-last to second. We're a bit of a social outcast, and in keeping with the rest of my post, we probably take solace in the sea first, before looking to other people. Also changed F to fifth, after Jalitha, since we must be there pretty often, what with it being so close to the ocean and all.

Gonna :effort: vote for this

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

A. Father
E. Jalitha
B. Uncle Jorah
F. Alone along the beach
C. Uncle Pagam
G. Alone in the forest
D. Mom

H. Yes, to both Ashera and the gods of your people, alongside Jalitha's the sky giant, you don't know what you believe

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

Theglavwen posted:

1:

A: Father: Don't need to like him, but he seems pretty fanatical, so I assume he's spent a lot of time drilling and training us on the rituals of God.
H: We've been deeply indoctrinated with reverence for the sea and its God, the ocean is our constant companion, in it we are whole.
B: We seem to like Jorah, and seeing as we're somewhat of a pariah, and our father is intimidating, we probably spend time with him as a social role model.
E: Jalitha is around Jorah most of the time, so I guess we must see her when we see Jorah.
D: Mom; we'd probably spend more time around her than Jalitha, but again, Jorah.

2:

A. Yes, to Ashera and to the other gods of your people, because you believe in them

Here's the thing, our people are strongly superstitious, our father is a fanatical high priest, he's been training us our whole life to be high-priest after him. We have no real frame of reference, other than Jalitha, by which to judge the truth of our beliefs, aside from the assurances of our father and our people. The world seems to work as they say. Also, there was that voice we heard in the ocean, our trusted ocean, our beloved ocean.

Edit: ^^^ Woah, that's some nice voting there. Didn't notice that. Thumbs up dude.

Edit2: Actually, changed H from third-to-last to second. We're a bit of a social outcast, and in keeping with the rest of my post, we probably take solace in the sea first, before looking to other people. Also changed F to fifth, after Jalitha, since we must be there pretty often, what with it being so close to the ocean and all.

This.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

1:

1: B: Uncle Jorah
2: A: Father
3: H: Alone, swimming in the ocean
4: F: Alone, on the beach
5: E: Jalitha
6: C: Uncle Pagam
7: D: Mom
8: G: Alone, in the forest

2: L: We may know quite a few of Dad's rituals, but I think Jalitha and Uncle Jorah would have more of an impact on our personal beliefs, considering they're not as... unstable as our father is.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

1. BADEFCHG
2. L

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
1. A,D,E,G,F,H,B,C
2. E

Christina Arugula
Aug 10, 2004
How do you like your lawn? Broiled or charred?
Ramrod XTreme
1. B,E,D,G,C,F,H,A

2. We pray to Agnostos Theos because these gods are bullshit and we await a god that calls to our heart to pray to.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
Yes, let's spend time around the man who regularly beats our best female role model, and drags us kicking and screaming to and from places.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

E. Jalitha
B. Uncle Jorah
D. Mom
C. Uncle Pagam
F. Alone along the beach
G. Alone in the forest
A. Father

2. L. Yes, to both Ashera and the gods of your people, alongside Jalitha's sky giant, you believe in them both

We had our very first prophecy when our father nearly drowned us in the sea. Although it simple to assume Ashera spoke to us, the source of this message could have been any other god so for now let's keep an open mind towards Jalitha and the teachings of her sky giant.

If we are indeed shaping up to become a prophet of Ashera, then we should go out swimming as often as possible in the hope of receiving more divine messages. For similar reasons there's little need to interact with our father. In fact, doing so may even be detrimental to us and our village. A prophet receives his orders directly from his god, and not through another human being. It's entirely possible the voice in our head only speaks to us and not our father, meaning that only we know the true intention of the gods. (Whoever they may be).

Zybourne Clock fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 24, 2013

Brian Moser
Mar 11, 2012
gooooons

[1]

E. Jalitha
F. Alone along the beach
B. Uncle Jorah
G. Alone in the forest
D. Mom
C. Uncle Pagam
A. Father

[2]

K. No, you did not pray, you do not BELIEVE in gods because of your fathers harsh treatment

I like this arrangement.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Paradox Personified posted:

Yes, let's spend time around the man who regularly beats our best female role model, and drags us kicking and screaming to and from places.
I think a lot of the rationale is less that we'd want to spend time with father and more that we'd be obligated to. Him being the #1 guy on someone's list means that we'd be going out of the way to spend time with him though.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
H Alone, swimming in the ocean
D Mom
G Alone in the forest
E Jalitha
F Alone along the beach
B Uncle Jorah
C Uncle Pagam
A Father

L Yes, to both Ashera and the gods of your people, alongside Jalitha's sky giant, you believe in them both

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

JT Jag posted:

I think a lot of the rationale is less that we'd want to spend time with father and more that we'd be obligated to. Him being the #1 guy on someone's list means that we'd be going out of the way to spend time with him though.

It's because, as high priest of Asherah, he certainly has some knowledge and skills to pass down that will be good to know.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

C. Uncle Pagam
D. Mom
A. Father
B. Uncle Jorah
E. Jalitha
F. Alone along the beach
G. Alone in the forest

H.
Yes, to both Ashera and the gods of your people, alongside Jalitha's the sky giant, you don't know what you believe

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

1. I'll abstain. Voted below.
2. L - I'll believe in Ashera only because we were indoctrinated by Father.

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 24, 2013

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

SerSpook posted:

It's because, as high priest of Asherah, he certainly has some knowledge and skills to pass down that will be good to know.

I know this game is completely unrelated to Land between the Rivers, but if there's one thing we learned from our time in Akkad it's that rituals that are passed on orally from father to son for thousands of years tend to become multi-generational games of Broken Telephone. Just like Sebek, our father may believe that he has perfect knowledge about the gods. And just like Sebek, it may turn out that some of his knowledge may be wrong or missing. Something spoke to us when we nearly drowned in the sea, and if that voice was a god then I think it's best to get out information straight from the source instead of from a fallible human.

Brian Moser
Mar 11, 2012
I'll give up all my votes if I can negative vote Father down. Hard Disk, help a brotha out. Don't abstain.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Zybourne Clock posted:

I know this game is completely unrelated to Land between the Rivers, but if there's one thing we learned from our time in Akkad it's that rituals that are passed on orally from father to son for thousands of years tend to become multi-generational games of Broken Telephone. Just like Sebek, our father may believe that he has perfect knowledge about the gods. And just like Sebek, it may turn out that some of his knowledge may be wrong or missing. Something spoke to us when we nearly drowned in the sea, and if that voice was a god then I think it's best to get out information straight from the source instead of from a fallible human.

The ritual failing due to incomplete knowledge wasn't really established fact in Rivers and, considering what we learned regarding the gate and holding it, its just as likely different people held the gate for differing amounts of time.

Huckleduck
May 20, 2007
giving you the hucklebuck
1. BHDECAFG

B. Uncle Jorah
D. Mom
E. Jalitha
C. Uncle Pagam
A. Father
F. Alone along the beach
G. Alone in the forest

2. L. Yes, to both Ashera and the gods of your people, alongside Jalitha's the sky giant, you believe in them both

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Brian Moser posted:

I'll give up all my votes if I can negative vote Father down. Hard Disk, help a brotha out. Don't abstain.

While I still think that we should go all NO YOU SHUT THE gently caress UP DAD on Father, I like to think that we were forced to spend more time with him than Jalitha.

Don't get me wrong, I think Jalitha is closer family to us than Father will ever be, but he is the freaking high priest.

EDIT: I'm going to vote for this, then.

JT Jag posted:

1:

B. Uncle Jorah - An invaluable rolemodel, we spend as much time with him as possible.
H. Alone, swimming in the ocean - Drowning was a life-changing experience for us. We keep coming back, trying to figure out what it means.
A. Father - We're being groomed for succession. We have little choice but to spend time with him.
D. Mom - She's mom. We spend time with her, and enjoy it. For the most part, she replaces the role Jalitha played when we were an infant.
F. Alone along the beach - Fascination with the beach goes hand-in-hand along with fascination with the ocean.
E. Jalitha - We inevitably spend time with Jalitha when around Uncle Jorah. I imagine Father tries to keep us away from her for a long time after the incident, but we bond with her once again, after the thing mentioned in question two.
C. Uncle Pagam - I just don't consider it feasable for us to spend much time with Uncle Pagam after spending so much time learning the inner mysteries of the faith and swimming.
G. Alone in the forest - Nor do I see us really being very fascinated by the forest at all.

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 24, 2013

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

JT Jag posted:

How do you figure? The voting call specifically asked what amount of time we spent around what people, due to choosing or to being forced.

Setting aside whether or not a young child in a strict, superstitious and somewhat caste based society would be willing or able to "gently caress you Dad!" to his imperious father, high-priest of our known world, speaker for our society's God, and the major source of authority we've known all our life, because of that one time he beat that slave we liked, it's still perfectly reasonable, and certainly within his character, that he'd be mandating a lot of our time spent with him, grooming us to take his place, especially given how fanatical he seems.

Add to that the fact that we've grown up a bit of an outsider, likely accustomed to not expecting or seeking out social companionship, and it doesn't seem a stretch to assume that's who we'd have the majority of our social interactions with.

*Edit:

In other news, I have to say, Diogenes has certainly started himself out with some complex voting. I don't envy the task of tallying this one up.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

JT Jag posted:

2. H; Commit to a religion when we understand them better.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
We need to take an example from the Sith Order and learn all we can from our father before we kill him and take his place. The manhood retreat would be a good time to do that, especially if we can get him alone.

A. Father
F. Alone along the beach
G. Alone in the forest
B. Uncle Jorah
E. Jalitha
D. Mom
C. Uncle Pagam

Also A, "Asherah's" vision is the only thing we have in the way of proof for any god's existence. From what we've seen, El's religion and its practice only brings suffering.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 24, 2013

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007
1) B, C, A, E, D, H, F, G

2) H, seems like it leaves us open to the most options.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.
1. You are now ten years old. You spent time with many people over the last six years, sometimes by choice, sometimes, you were forced to. Please order the following in the order you spent the most time with them, from most frequent to least frequent. Before anyone asks, I swear to Denziroh that this vote does not correspond to deciding some sort of secret stats like str / con / dex / int / wis / cha or any other similar formulation, so, trying to correspond different votes to stats in this vote won't achieve that goal.

B. Uncle Jorah
A. Father
G. Alone in the forest
F. Alone along the beach
E. Jalitha
D. Mom
C. Uncle Pagam

2. When the men of the village left for a week, did you pray with Jalitha for Uncle Jorah to return safely?

H. Yes, to both Ashera and the gods of your people, alongside Jalitha's the sky giant, you don't know what you believe

Kyyp
Jan 14, 2007

1.B, D, E, C, F, A, H, G

2.A We've seen "the grandchildren of Asherah and the children of Asherah's gentle daughter, Ninveh" when out in the boats, so I don't see why we wouldn't believe it.

Kyyp fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 24, 2013

Walkin Goon
Apr 4, 2011
Oh boy, options!

1. Spending time with...

B. Uncle Jorah : Like this dude the most, and we could benefit socially from a role model who's not obtuse.
A. Father - Not too keen on his character, but I like a narrative that suggests he's invested a lot of time in us.
E. Jalitha : Rating her alongside Uncle Jorah. She has neat stories!
F. Alone along the beach

C. Uncle Pagam: Sounds like he has some neat and useful stuff to teach us. The ocean may come first for us, but the sea isn't everywhere.
G. Alone in the forest
D. Mom: But Mooooooooom, I already caught some fish and ate them earlier, not hungry for dinner tonight! :saddowns:

2. L. Yes, to both Ashera and the gods of your people, alongside Jalitha's sky giant, you believe in them both
Why not, we're still a kid in a big old world o' mystery. :shobon:
H is a close second, though.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

1)
B. Uncle Jorah
E. Jalitha
D. Mom
F. Alone along the beach
C. Uncle Pagam
G. Alone in the forest
A. Father

2)
H

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Theglavwen posted:

In other news, I have to say, Diogenes has certainly started himself out with some complex voting. I don't envy the task of tallying this one up.

Yeah, I am curious how Diogenes is going to tally the first question. I would just dole points based on the order people placed the options (e.g. 1st choice = 1 point, 2nd choice = 2 points), add up the points for each option across all the votes, and then rank totals from lowest to highest. Doesn't sound to bad to keep track of in an excel sheet.

Also, I am surprised at how many blasphemers are forsaking the fish god.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

It's being worked on :v: no worries haha. Should be fun.

vvv- Bolding your vote or using the letter tokens Canuck-Errant posted makes the tallies a lot easier too.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 24, 2013

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

A Darker Porpoise posted:

It's being worked on :v: no worries haha. Should be fun.

:suicide:

Incidentally, I want to ask this:
If you're going to change your vote, do a strikethrough of your original vote, and post advising of the change to your vote.

The first makes it easier to keep track of the change, and the second makes it more likely we'll notice.
(This "we" meaning "the crazy idiots doing the tallying", of course.)

Edit:

:suicide::suicide::suicide:

Some notes:

Nobody knows who Uncle Pagram is, based on how his votes are skewed towards last.
Nobody likes the Forest, either, with it having received a solid 3/5 of the vote split between last and second-to-last place.
While Father and Jorah are tied for the lead, Jorah has more votes for second and third, while Father has the second-most votes for last... after the Forest.
The Beach is solidly in 5th place. It's not going anywhere.
The Ocean has by far the most votes for second - and until recently, Jalitha was leading for third - but now it's close, with Father and Jorah trailing her by 1 and 2 votes, respectively.
Jorah, Mother, Jalitha, and the ocean are all tied for fourth; Uncle Jorah, Uncle Pagem, and Jalitha are all also in close competition for sixth.

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 24, 2013

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Theglavwen posted:

1:

2:

This

Purely from an in character perspective, a 6-10 yr old has had close encounters with whales and his trusted role model has told him they're the children of our peoples god = mind blown.

Also, like FoxTerrier mentioned before; I think we'd be at least slightly suspect about Jalitha/Her God, seeing as in our eyes she (and possibly her strange god rituals) caused us to become a social pariah- something that we would have been reminded of everyday. Just saying. Not that we'd want to hang around her in that case, but spending time with Jorah means it happens.

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Yellow KoolAid
Aug 17, 2012
H, D, B, E, A, F, C, G

H, I don't know what I believe