Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

holocaust bloopers posted:

lol engine jettison.

That's gotta be alarming to the crew when poo poo's all happy happy then it's like, "Yo engine 3 dropped off. Literally, it is no longer with us."

It's not like a C-5 crew would know what to do with a good engine anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI5xTmmPbsY

Since we're talking about FRED I think it's obligatory to also post this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUx5wTV4XVk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Kilonum posted:

Here, have a helicopter landing in the loading dock of the Boston Convention Center as part of a conference for critical care nurses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jEK1KHuw24

That is an unusually steep landing, especially for an EC-135. There is a phenomenon called "settling with power", where the rotor downdraft literally washes the air out from under the helicopter when conditions are right. The BMF guys and gals are super experienced, but that was riskier than probably necessary.

Then again, my daily ride is a BK-117 which has enough power to probably move the parking garage out of the way if necessary.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The sheer amount of failure on display here is staggering.

I'm not remotely a pilot, but when you are on approach and near to the ground, isn't retracting the flaps the last thing you'd want to do?

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
Would anyone be interested in, like, a huge photobomb of stuff from my work?

We have an EC-135, a couple of BKs, some old BO 105's that are on their way out to pasture, as well as our Rockwell Commander turboprop and Citation for the long-distance stuff.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm not remotely a pilot, but when you are on approach and near to the ground, isn't retracting the flaps the last thing you'd want to do?

Well I don't think the flaps are as much of a concern when you've got one of your three good engines at flight idle. FRED doesn't fly well on two engines, and it doesn't fly at all fully loaded on two engines.

e: They were still a little ways out from the runway...someone with more knowledge of heavies and/or access to a C-5 -1 can correct me if I'm wrong but when you are flying an engine out approach (or two in this case :lol:) you generally want to keep speed up and drag to a minimum, which means minimum/no flaps setting until a landing is assured and you can slow for touchdown.

The last thing you want to do is be at full flaps while still over a mile from the runway, which is what these bozos were doing.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 24, 2013

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Uhm I've been drinking and have been rapidly brain dumping poo poo to make room for civilian stuff but flying a two engine approach is uh...I forget. Maybe tomorrow I can dig through my TOs and find out what Boeing says to do with the AWACS.

Yea, I kept my TOs. You're goddamn right I would.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

D C posted:

The northern airlines still use them, like First Air, Canadian North, and Air North, but holy poo poo they are loud, like cover your ears when they taxi by loud.

Probably not as loud as the TU-114

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_Tu-114

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Polymerized Cum posted:

Would anyone be interested in, like, a huge photobomb of stuff from my work?

We have an EC-135, a couple of BKs, some old BO 105's that are on their way out to pasture, as well as our Rockwell Commander turboprop and Citation for the long-distance stuff.

Photobombs are a proud tradition of this thread. Please post.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

iyaayas01 posted:

Well I don't think the flaps are as much of a concern when you've got one of your three good engines at flight idle. FRED doesn't fly well on two engines, and it doesn't fly at all fully loaded on two engines.

e: They were still a little ways out from the runway...someone with more knowledge of heavies and/or access to a C-5 -1 can correct me if I'm wrong but when you are flying an engine out approach (or two in this case :lol:) you generally want to keep speed up and drag to a minimum, which means minimum/no flaps setting until a landing is assured and you can slow for touchdown.

The last thing you want to do is be at full flaps while still over a mile from the runway, which is what these bozos were doing.

from the 1:45 mark posted:

A) What are you saying?
B) Why aren't we doing 145?
A) Oh, we're not? I thought we were
B) No...
A) We should be...
B) I know.
A) Just suggest it, too late now I guess
B) I don't even know where we are
A) We're final.
B) Ah poo poo.
C) Guys I'm concerned.

:munch:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

"Guys I'm concerned" is the line that will always stick with me from that video.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Jonny Nox posted:

"Guys I'm concerned" is the line that will always stick with me from that video.

I didn't watch it until your post. The fuckupness in that is incredible.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

That has got to be the most hosed up and government-sounding alarm I've ever heard.

Health and safety. Health and safety. Health and safety.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Advent Horizon posted:

That has got to be the most hosed up and government-sounding alarm I've ever heard.

Health and safety. Health and safety. Health and safety.

Haha I was trying to hear what you were hearing... It's "don't sink, don't sink", but it does sound a bit like that in the recording.

I read that writeup that accompanied the video, admittedly I don't know what the engines are like on the c5, or what military procedure is, but surely you wouldn't shut an engine down as a precaution for a thrust reverser not locked message? It just means one of the locks didn't engage fully, it doesn't mean you're going to get a spontaneous deployment.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Why don't we put a camera on the exterior like an A380 (the one I rode on had one on the tail and you could watch it in the seat screen) and use it to check for damage in emergency situations? Too much possibility for a distraction?
The picture posted of the missing engine reminded me of that one plane that lost an engine after takeoff and took out the slats. I wonder if they'd be able to save it if they knew that was the case?

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

An Airbus A319 has just had to pull an emergency landing at Heathrow after an engine fire

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-22652718

Looks like there's some pretty bad damage to that engine. Possible bird strike?

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Jonny Nox posted:

I believe that is an exact line from some CRM training programs. It is a statement more conducive and open to discussion than "we are loving up"

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Polymerized Cum posted:

I believe that is an exact line from some CRM training programs. It is a statement more conducive and open to discussion than "we are loving up"

Honestly it almost sounds like Kerbal Space Program dialog between the Kermas

:911:

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Aviate, Navigate, Communicate

How do you not pay attention to or care enough about your airspeed. Out of all the things you should be paying attention to, it's like oh... I dunno, in the top 2. :psyduck:

Understeer
Sep 14, 2004

Now with more front end grip.

Linedance posted:

I read that writeup that accompanied the video, admittedly I don't know what the engines are like on the c5, or what military procedure is, but surely you wouldn't shut an engine down as a precaution for a thrust reverser not locked message? It just means one of the locks didn't engage fully, it doesn't mean you're going to get a spontaneous deployment.

True, and most reversers have multiple "lines of defense" that keep the reverser from inadvertently deploying. Any of them not properly working generally triggers a warning. Having said that, an inadvertent deployment will ruin your day. It's no joke.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lauda_Air_Flight_004

The C-5 can deploy reversers in-flight for emergency tanker breakaway, but that's something that happens symmetrically across the wing positions.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Vitamins posted:

An Airbus A319 has just had to pull an emergency landing at Heathrow after an engine fire

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-22652718

Looks like there's some pretty bad damage to that engine. Possible bird strike?

If it's a cfm56, my money is on improperly secured cowl latches. I can't see a bird strike tearing the cowls off like that.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Understeer posted:

True, and most reversers have multiple "lines of defense" that keep the reverser from inadvertently deploying. Any of them not properly working generally triggers a warning. Having said that, an inadvertent deployment will ruin your day. It's no joke.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lauda_Air_Flight_004

The C-5 can deploy reversers in-flight for emergency tanker breakaway, but that's something that happens symmetrically across the wing positions.

If they can be deployed in flight, even if only in an emergency manoeuvre, that would make sense.
The way the locks are designed on airliners is such that once stowed, the reverser cannot physically open even with an unlocked message, specifically as a result of the lauda air incident.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 24, 2013

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Linedance posted:

If they can be deployed in flight, even if only in an emergency manoeuvre, that would make sense.

There are some older photos on airliners.net of Ilyushin Il-62s opening the reversers before touchdown as I guess some kind of speed-brake feature. No idea if that was standard operating procedure or not though.

First example I found. Not my photo of course.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

Anything beyond roughly ~50% flaps is mostly drag on large aircraft, which is why I'm surprised to see the flaps at 90% when they already had an engine out. I would be surprised if this was part of the procedure on the C-5, most airliners call for much less flap and slightly higher speeds with and engine out. The 737 calls for flaps 15 OEI, where a normal approach will be 30 or 40.

One of the most brilliant feats of airmanship I can recall relates to this actually... when BA038 suddenly lost thrust on both engines on what was a normal approach, the captain had the presence of mind to roll the flaps back slightly from 30 (full) to 25. IIRC, it was calculated that this simple action reduced drag sufficiently to bring the 777 over the fence, as well as the busy Heathrow perimeter road. In simpler terms, he probably saved a couple of lives simply by moving a modestly sized lever only by about about 2 inches.

Tsuru fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 24, 2013

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Tsuru posted:

Anything beyond roughly ~50% flaps is mostly drag on large aircraft, which is why I'm surprised to see the flaps at 90% when they already had an engine out. I would be surprised if this was part of the procedure on the C-5, most airliners call for much less flap and slightly higher speeds with and engine out. The 737 calls for flaps 15 OEI, where a normal approach will be 30 or 40.

The AIB report specifically identified improper flap setting as one of the three main causal factors to the mishap:

quote:

While maneuvering under Visual Flight Rules (VFR), east of Dover AFB, mishap pilot one (MP1 ) selected 40% flaps and reduced the three remaining engines to idle. MP1 then put the landing gear down and attained full flaps (100% extended) approaching 500 ft above ground level (AGL ) at approximately 3.5 miles from the approach end of the runway. During the approach and landing, MP1 continued to move the number two throttle (shutdown engine), in concert with operating engines one and four, while leaving the number three throttle (fully operational engine ) back in idle. MP1 mistakenly used the number two throttle (shutdown engine) instead of the number three throttle (operational engine) for the remainder of the flight. Approximately 1 mile from runway 32, at 150 ft AGL and 127 knots (approach speed should have been 146 knots, with a minimum control air speed [VMCA] of 133 knots), the flight engineers recommended, and pilots selected, 40% flaps, and the aircraft stalled . At this aircraft weight (735,000 lbs), flap configuration (100%), altitude (150 ft), distance to the runway (1 mile), and airspeed (127 knots), the mishap aircraft (MA) would have stalled and crashed short of the landing runway, even without the movement of the flaps from the 100 to 40% setting.

<...>

Based on clear and convincing evidence, the Board President determined the primary cause of the mishap was the pilots' and flight engineers' failure to use the number three, fully operational, engine; the instructor's and primary flight engineer's failure to brief, and the pilots' failure to consider or utilize a 62.5 or 40% flap setting (instead of a 100% flap setting) ; and the pilots' attempt at a visual approach to runway 32, descending well below a normal glidepath for an instrument-aided approach or the normal VFR pattern altitude of 1,800 ft. There is substantial evidence that a contributing factor to this mishap was MP1's failure to give a complete approach briefing, in that, nonstandard factors, configuration, landing distance, and missed approach intentions were not addressed.

So basically the improper flap setting compounded an already hosed up situation with the wrong engine issue by slowing them well past VMCA while they were still a mile+ from the runway...which is not conducive to remaining in the air.

Understeer
Sep 14, 2004

Now with more front end grip.

StandardVC10 posted:

There are some older photos on airliners.net of Ilyushin Il-62s opening the reversers before touchdown as I guess some kind of speed-brake feature. No idea if that was standard operating procedure or not though.

First example I found. Not my photo of course.

Perfectly fine for those Ilyushins and a handful of others from the era. I think the DC-8 could do it as well. Reverse thrust on a low bypass turbofan with bucket reversers, especially in an aft-mount config, isn't that big of a deal aerodynamically.

Still, crazy Russians.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Just seen some footage on the news of the BA 319 being towed away, looks like V2500 engines. I'm not familiar with those and whether or not they have the same problem with cowl latches that the CFM56 does.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Aluminum Overcast is at the Museum of Flight today through Memorial Day weekend. They also got authorization to fly over Safeco Field during a Mariner's game tonight. I can't find anything mentioning it on MoF's website, but I'm assuming they'll be charging several hundred for rides. gently caress me I wish I wasn't so poor :smith:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
One of our JSTARS ate a Turkey Vulture for the weekend. Fun, came back on the other three engines just fine though.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Understeer posted:

Perfectly fine for those Ilyushins and a handful of others from the era. I think the DC-8 could do it as well. Reverse thrust on a low bypass turbofan with bucket reversers, especially in an aft-mount config, isn't that big of a deal aerodynamically.

Still, crazy Russians.

If I'm not mistaken, doesn't the IL-62 only have thrust reversers on the inboard engines? Idle the inboards, approach on the outboards and switch throttle positions on wheel contact.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CommieGIR posted:

One of our JSTARS ate a Turkey Vulture for the weekend. Fun, came back on the other three engines just fine though.

Engine strikes are a hell of a lot better than most of the alternatives.

Also:

SUBMIT, PUNY HUMAN CONTRAPTION.

I know its a Mercury, and not a JSTARS. Sue me.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Advent Horizon posted:

If I'm not mistaken, doesn't the IL-62 only have thrust reversers on the inboard engines? Idle the inboards, approach on the outboards and switch throttle positions on wheel contact.

My understanding is that all the engines would be at a fairly high power setting, with the inboards running in reverse on final. Old jet engines have a very long spool-up time from idle (or even a setting that allows a stabilised approach) to takeoff power, so it is advantageous to run the engines at the highest possible power setting; running two in reverse means you can run all four (in the case of the IL-62) that much higher.

That sort of thing was pretty common in early jet aircraft; flight-deployable reversers can be seen on many types. Another method that was used in the B-47 was a two-stage drag parachute; a small chute would be deployed on approach, which would be jettisoned in the event of a missed approach or on landing, where a much larger chute would be used for braking.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MrChips posted:

My understanding is that all the engines would be at a fairly high power setting, with the inboards running in reverse on final. Old jet engines have a very long spool-up time from idle (or even a setting that allows a stabilised approach) to takeoff power, so it is advantageous to run the engines at the highest possible power setting; running two in reverse means you can run all four (in the case of the IL-62) that much higher.

That sort of thing was pretty common in early jet aircraft; flight-deployable reversers can be seen on many types. Another method that was used in the B-47 was a two-stage drag parachute; a small chute would be deployed on approach, which would be jettisoned in the event of a missed approach or on landing, where a much larger chute would be used for braking.

Early production DC-8s had pop-out speed brakes on the aft lower fuselage, like the worlds biggest fighter jet. They were rather ineffective, and Douglas ended up deleting them, and recommending that any aircraft already delivered with them have them deactivated. Douglas then fitted thrust reversers, with the #2 and 3 engine reversers being useable in the air. DC-8s lack flight spoilers, which leads to all this silliness. (It does have ground spoilers that only activate when there is weight-on-wheels.)

Arrow Air used to have a DC-8 that still had the speedbrakes, albeit wired down. They look for all the world like the anal fins on a fish.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CommieGIR posted:

Give it a few years, 3-engine landings will be as common as not.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
707's are beautiful. That's all I got.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

holocaust bloopers posted:

707's are beautiful. That's all I got.

Every early jetliner is great to look at. I'm partial to the Convair 880 though.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Previa_fun posted:

Every early jetliner is great to look at. I'm partial to the Convair 880 though.

If the 707 is Scarlett Johansson, the 880 is Sasha Grey.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

MrYenko posted:

My favorite despite its early issues

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DH106_Comet

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

jaegerx posted:

My favorite despite its early issues

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DH106_Comet

I went too far initially, but I think the Comet might be Gianna Michaels.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
It's actually Lindsey Lohan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

MrYenko posted:

What on earth does that make the 990 and its backwards turbofans? :gonk: