Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
B. Uncle Jorah
D. Mom
F. Alone along the beach
C. Uncle Pagam
E. Jalitha
A. Father
G. Alone in the forest
H. Alone, swimming in the ocean

2. A

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Jesus ... :stare:

Although, that seems a little ... risky? I dunno, I mean, say the vote for first place ended up split between Jorah and Father or something, 51% to 49%. After that though, the loser, with 49% of the vote for first place, doesn't win in any of the other slots save for last place with, say, 15%. Would that mean then that, even though the loser had more votes for first than almost any other choice had for any other slot, it ends up in last place? Just seems like it wouldn't really reflect the general sentiment very well. *shrug*

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Theglavwen posted:

Jesus ... :stare:

Although, that seems a little ... risky? I dunno, I mean, say the vote for first place ended up split between Jorah and Father or something, 51% to 49%. After that though, the loser, with 49% of the vote for first place, doesn't win in any of the other slots save for last place with, say, 15%. Would that mean then that, even though the loser had more votes for first than almost any other choice had for any other slot, it ends up in last place? Just seems like it wouldn't really reflect the general sentiment very well. *shrug*

I think it's already being done like this, though I'm not sure so I'll mention it in thread.

I'd suggest that the votes for losing choices carry over if we don't use a point system. Basically, Father gets say 18 votes for option 1, and Jorah gets 19. Father, for the next choice, could get those 18 votes (as those 18 clearly prefer him over everyone else) plus whatever he gets for the second choice. All other choices that didn't win would get this too, so Jalitha would have like 14 or whatever her actual count actually is, when she goes into the votes for option two. Then she'd get the votes actually cast for her in that slot, and so on.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Well, I'm just presenting the data; it's not like this is going to end up being a first-past-the-post poll where the guy you don't like gets elected for four years - it's all up to Diog's interpretation. If the closeness of the race means that, say, we wind up spending as much time with Jorah as with Father - but the relative split in votes means we ENJOY the time with father less - then I think that's a result we can be happy with.

Or unhappy with, at least in character.

XOXO
Mar 8, 2013

Ask me about being weaker than a 60 year-old British woman.
1. H,F,D,B,A,E - Our alone-time is very important to our development.

2. B - who are we to know what to believe? A - What I meant was, why would we not believe?

XOXO fucked around with this message at 13:06 on May 24, 2013

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

SerSpook posted:

I think it's already being done like this, though I'm not sure so I'll mention it in thread.

I'd suggest that the votes for losing choices carry over if we don't use a point system. Basically, Father gets say 18 votes for option 1, and Jorah gets 19. Father, for the next choice, could get those 18 votes (as those 18 clearly prefer him over everyone else) plus whatever he gets for the second choice. All other choices that didn't win would get this too, so Jalitha would have like 14 or whatever her actual count actually is, when she goes into the votes for option two. Then she'd get the votes actually cast for her in that slot, and so on.

If it really mattered, and you were trying to compile a list like this, it would be most logical to assign first place votes eight points each, second place votes 7 points each, and so on and so forth, and then add them all up and write the list based on total sum of each.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Sucrose posted:

If it really mattered, and you were trying to compile a list like this, it would be most logical to assign first place votes eight points each, second place votes 7 points each, and so on and so forth, and then add them all up and write the list based on total sum of each.

That's why I said if Diog doesn't use a point system.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Sucrose posted:

Or 7-6-5 and so on, with the assumption that your final vote gets zero points and the implication that the final ranked activity will be one we ended up basically never doing in the intervening years.

Esper
Nov 23, 2004
Killed a baboon, once.
1:

A: Father
H: Ocean
B: Jorah
F: Shore
E: Jalitha
D: Mom
G: Forest
C: Pagem

2:

A. Ashera & Our Gods

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

C. Uncle Pagam
B. Uncle Jorah
A. Father
E. Jalitha
D. Mom
G. Alone in the forest
F. Alone along the beach

2. When the men of the village left for a week, did you pray with Jalitha for Uncle Jorah to return safely?

L. Yes, to both Ashera and the gods of your people, alongside Jalitha's sky giant, you believe in them both

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
This is obviously a patriarch and we're already on our way to being an outcast. We can't afford to make visiting Jalitha in our top five.

1: B, C, A, D, E, F, H, G

2: A is for bAsscop!

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

Sucrose posted:

That's how I did my summary. First place is worth 8 points, down to 1 point for last place. This way, a lot of high votes would move someone up the final tally, and any trends in low or mid voting could still establish themselves.

I'm not saying how anyone should vote or who's right or what, but I personally don't care about the positions so much as the order they're in. I want to spend more time with Jorah, so I would be happy with him in any of the top three spots. I don't want to spend time with the Father, so I want to get him as low as possible. I don't care if he's 6th, 7th or 8th. In the other system, a specific position matters. I think there's a few obvious trends going so I doubt either system is really going to impact the game.

Here's a summary of the point system. Their average rank is in parenthesis.

quote:

Uncle Jorah - 358 (6.4)
Father - 303 (5.5)
Alone/Ocean - 276 (5.0)
Jalitha - 273 (4.9)
Mom - 233 (4.2)
Alone/Beach - 210 (3.8)
Uncle Pagam - 197 (3.7)
Alone/Forest - 131 (2.5)

With this, a few people could make us spend more time with Jalitha just by voting her higher in the ranking. The other system would require a rearrangement of where people focus their votes to make sure theirs didn't get wasted behind Jorah's.

Disargeria fucked around with this message at 06:22 on May 24, 2013

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Why do you L voters hate Basscop?

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
1. B, E, D, F, C, G, H, A

2. H

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Disargeria posted:

That's how I did my summary. First place is worth 8 points, down to 1 point for last place. This way, a lot of high votes would move someone up the final tally, and any trends in low or mid voting could still establish themselves.

I'm not saying how anyone should vote or who's right or what, but I personally don't care about the positions so much as the order they're in. I want to spend more time with Jorah, so I would be happy with him in any of the top three spots. I don't want to spend time with the Father, so I want to get him as low as possible. I don't care if he's 6th, 7th or 8th. In the other system, a specific position matters. I think there's a few obvious trends going so I doubt either system is really going to impact the game.

Here's a summary of the point system (without the latest votes). Their average rank is in parenthesis.

With this, a few people could make us spend more time with Jalitha just by voting her higher in the ranking. The other system would require a rearrangement of where people focus their votes to make sure theirs didn't get wasted behind Jorah's.

As a corollary, here's the results from my count:

Father (17) and Jorah (18) both have the most votes for first. The Ocean has the most votes for second, at 16.
The highest number of votes for Jalitha are at 3rd, with 12; for the beach, at 5th (23), for Pagram, at 7th (16), and for the forest, last (21).

If we assume that Father and Jorah get equal time, the breakdown then goes:
Ocean, Jalitha, Mother, Beach, Pagam, Forest.

Effectively the same as Disargeria's results. On the other hand, it's clear that the voting for Father is still rather divided; he had almost as many votes for third as for first, and half as many votes for last as for first, while Jorah's votes tapered off from the high of 18 through the first four positions.

Edit:

Note the steadiness of the decline here versus the sharp spike, drop, and spike of the votes for Father.

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 06:44 on May 24, 2013

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

Canuck-Errant posted:

Effectively the same as Disargeria's results. On the other hand, it's clear that the voting for Father is still rather divided; he had almost as many votes for third as for first, and half as many votes for last as for first, while Jorah's votes tapered off from the high of 18 through the first four positions.

We'll just let Diog sort that out!

Paradise Lost: Our Only Fanart is Voting Charts

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
HOLD THE CHARTS!!! Also let Diog figure it out. I'm sure he didn't start a big vote like this without knowing how to sort it.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

JT Jag posted:

1:

B. Uncle Jorah - An invaluable rolemodel, we spend as much time with him as possible.
H. Alone, swimming in the ocean - Drowning was a life-changing experience for us. We keep coming back, trying to figure out what it means.
A. Father - We're being groomed for succession. We have little choice but to spend time with him.
D. Mom - She's mom. We spend time with her, and enjoy it. For the most part, she replaces the role Jalitha played when we were an infant.
F. Alone along the beach - Fascination with the beach goes hand-in-hand along with fascination with the ocean.
E. Jalitha - We inevitably spend time with Jalitha when around Uncle Jorah. I imagine Father tries to keep us away from her for a long time after the incident, but we bond with her once again, after the thing mentioned in question two.
C. Uncle Pagam - I just don't consider it feasable for us to spend much time with Uncle Pagam after spending so much time learning the inner mysteries of the faith and swimming.
G. Alone in the forest - Nor do I see us really being very fascinated by the forest at all.

2:

L. Yes, to both Ashera and the gods of your people, alongside Jalitha's the sky giant, you believe in them both - Of course we believe in Ashera. Everyone believes in Ashera. And yet Jalitha has impacted our lives in a fascinating way. We definitely don't believe in her god to the same extent as Ashera--- after all, we are the next high priest of Ashera, and our faith in Ashera's predominance is unshakeable. Perhaps we think that her god and our god are the same one, just being spoken of in different ways. We pray to both, but Ashera gets the majority of the offerings.

Good answers. I vote with the above.

DCBomB
Sep 14, 2008

But guys, the forest! If we're not ready for it when it's our turn to go, we won't be ready and might die!
Would YOU bring a fishing rod to a trial in the forest? Ug might if we only hang around Uncle Jorah and the ocean.

CGEBADFH
H

DCBomB fucked around with this message at 07:06 on May 24, 2013

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Arkanomen posted:

HOLD THE CHARTS!!! Also let Diog figure it out. I'm sure he didn't start a big vote like this without knowing how to sort it.

The charts and our counting are the plan. :v: Folks volunteered to help figure this out.

Callipygian Weasel
Apr 2, 2010

by Lowtax
B. Uncle Jorah
A. Father
C. Uncle Pagam
G. Alone in the forest
E. Jalitha
F. Alone along the beach
D. Mom

2. F. Yes, to both Ashera and the gods of your people, alongside Jalitha's the sky giant, but you only believe in Asherah and his children

Callipygian Weasel fucked around with this message at 07:37 on May 24, 2013

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Arkanomen posted:

GloriousDemon
May 1, 2009
Our goal should be to become a hardened hero of the high seas, Narod Sinbad!
1:
A. Father- Yes father, tell me all of these secrect rites yes father, yes father,(while caressing a knife) yes father...
B. Uncle Jorah- Tell me of this gentle daughter Ninveh, oh she's a big fish too? Is she hot though?
E. Jalitha- Tell me of these giants and their fantastical treasures.
C. Uncle Pagam- Look we're probably gonna go through a lot of boats on this adventure.
H. Alone, swimming in the ocean- for when the boats sink.
G. Alone in the forest- not spending enough time in the woods creeping on other kids is gonna get us eaten by a cyclops mark my words.
D. Mom- sorry ma baskets are for nerds, tell me all about rope though that sounds kinda cool
F. Alone along the beach- exploring is for chumps aimlessly wandering is what all the cool kids do.

2:
L. Yes, we believe in every god we've told about, now where do they keep their treasures?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Yo I just want to say, skill powergaming aside, it's going to look really bad if we spend more time with this outsider who tainted us than our own mother. I'm sure our mom is pretty cool too and will pass on more to us than just basketweaving and rope knowledge.

reignonyourparade posted:

1. B, E, A, H, F, C, D, G
This is the only way I see us getting away with spending lots of time with Jalitha--- essentially treating Uncle Jorah's house as a foster family and more or less living there. Both Jorah and Jalitha would have to come before our parents. It would look somewhat bad, but stranger things have happened, and Jorah is respected amongst the village.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 24, 2013

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
1. B, E, A, H, F, C, D, G
2. L

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
C. Uncle Pagam, I grow to enjoy working with my hands and Uncle Pagam doesn't have Jalitha around. As loving as she is, my traumatic experience at her hands combined with a very real fear of my father still makes me hesitant to be around her.
H. Alone, swimming in the ocean. Maybe if I get a whale/dolphin to spit on me dad will stop being an rear end in a top hat.
F. But only because swimming in the ocean requires lengthy beach presence. I also use this opportunity to collect shells and other treasures to carve into nifty baubles.
D. Mom, hey check out these baubles I made you. :3:
B. Uncle Jorah, I still love you uncle but Jalitha creeps me out sometimes.
E. Jalitha but only because Uncle Jorah shares space with her. (Same as Ocean leads to beach.) And she is nice to me...
G. Alone in the forest. I like to try to climb the tallest trees I can and look over my village.
A. gently caress YOU DAD, I avoid you at all costs.

B. Yes, to Ashera and to the other gods of your people, because everyone believes in them.
Dad really did not cast worship in a very favorable light. But, I'm too afraid of him to DOUBT the Gods. However, I definitely don't believe in them the way everyone else does.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 07:44 on May 24, 2013

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
A- father, because... Like we got a choice?
E- Jalitha, because... We do gotta choice
G- alone in the forest, because its the only place actually alone in the fishing village... And some traumatic stuff that has already gone down, we are defiled and all so apparently don't have a lot of playmates (who hang out at the beach and in the ocean)
D- mom, because well now that J split we see her whenever we eat
F- beach- cause we have to do our shell oracles and other odd homework there all the time
H- ocean- because its everywhere
B- Jorah- because mostly I am spending time praying that he is not disappeared by whatever seems to disappear the men on a regular basis
C- Pagam- who?

L- we are six. Gods are real. We know this because when we were four we were shown this very clearly by the insane behavior of all the adults. Both sorts must be real or Dad wouldn't get so bent outta shape about it.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

^ We're ten not six.

JT Jag posted:

Yo I just want to say, skill powergaming aside, it's going to look really bad if we spend more time with this outsider who tainted us than our own mother. I'm sure our mom is pretty cool too and will pass on more to us than just basketweaving and rope knowledge.

Mom is mentioned all over the parenting moments in the first update except for that one time we get left with Jathila alone and bad things happen. She also made us a bitchin' necklace and was there for us when we woke up from being half drowned/fish baptized.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 07:42 on May 24, 2013

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
:suicide:

no, seriously dude, it really messes up the count when I have no idea what your vote was before, and then have to recount everything just so I can change your one vote

and I am completely out of beer
so I won't be doing that

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 07:54 on May 24, 2013

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

A. Uncle Jorah
B. Alone, swimming in the ocean
C. Jalitha
D. Mom
E. Father
F. Alone along the beach
G. Uncle Pagram
H. Alone in the forest

2. L. Yes, to both Ashera and the gods of your people, alongside Jalitha's sky giant, you believe in them both. Let's turn this into the Life of Pi.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
We've heard from the fishgod, seen his children, been blessed by his benevolence and those of the other gods. Has the skygod ever manifested himself around us? Is Skygod jealous of the other gods?

At best he is friends with Jalitha but her actions made us an outcast!

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Clearly Ashera is real, but did he save us from being defiled? If those sky giants aren't real how did we get defiled in the first place... And why doesn't dad just laugh it off when we pray to them... Granted Dad may never laugh at anything.

kalam
Oct 30, 2010
1: H, F, B, A, G, E, D, C.

Prioritising beach/ocean in an attempt to encounter Asherah or some whales.

2: A

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Sogol posted:

Clearly Ashera is real, but did he save us from being defiled? If those sky giants aren't real how did we get defiled in the first place... And why doesn't dad just laugh it off when we pray to them... Granted Dad may never laugh at anything.

Counterpoint: Did Skygod save Jalitha from getting severely beaten by one of Ashera's high priests?

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

RandomPauI posted:

Counterpoint: Did Skygod save Jalitha from getting severely beaten by one of Ashera's high priests?

quote:

At other times, your father has caught her praying to the sky giants before and gotten VERY angry when he caught her and beat her for doing so.

On multiple occasions even! Skygiant is totally a real god and not fake at all!

Daned
Jan 14, 2008

1. E,B,C,G,H,F,D,A

2. L. Yes, to both Ashera and the gods of your people, alongside Jalitha's sky giant, you believe in them both

Daned fucked around with this message at 10:55 on May 24, 2013

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
1. B, H, A, D, F, G, C, E. My reasoning: Jorah's cool, ocean's are cool, Dad isn't that cool but he might have important lessons to learn, and Jalitha is the reason we're an outcast so we're not gonna hang out with that witch!

2. A. Hell yeah whales are cool, so whale grandparents must be even cooler.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
This is an ancient fishing village. Denouncing a key part of our faith will have grave consequences. We're also the son of a high priest. We're expected to assume the position of high priest in the worship of Ashera and the true gods. And they are true gods: we've seen the children of Ashera and received blessings from them. But we haven't seen any signs of the Skygod or the Skygiants.

The only person we know of who believes in the Skygod is Jalithat. She meant to earn the favor of Skygod by cutting our hair but that blasphemous act left us a disfigured outcast. The Skygod certainly didn't help her carry out the act done in his name. He definitely didn't intervene whenever she was beaten.

Jalitha is a good person but she is also mistaken. We will pay dearly if we make those same mistakes.

Callipygian Weasel
Apr 2, 2010

by Lowtax

Canuck-Errant posted:

:suicide:

no, seriously dude, it really messes up the count when I have no idea what your vote was before, and then have to recount everything just so I can change your one vote

and I am completely out of beer
so I won't be doing that

Ouf. I did all the voting and revoting in a fairly small amount of time! I didn't think anyone was obsessively cataloging it so quickly :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

RandomPauI posted:

This is an ancient fishing village. Denouncing a key part of our faith will have grave consequences. We're also the son of a high priest. We're expected to assume the position of high priest in the worship of Ashera and the true gods. And they are true gods: we've seen the children of Ashera and received blessings from them. But we haven't seen any signs of the Skygod or the Skygiants.

The only person we know of who believes in the Skygod is Jalithat. She meant to earn the favor of Skygod by cutting our hair but that blasphemous act left us a disfigured outcast. The Skygod certainly didn't help her carry out the act done in his name. He definitely didn't intervene whenever she was beaten.

Jalitha is a good person but she is also mistaken. We will pay dearly if we make those same mistakes.

I am going to take it as a given that you are smart enough to hide your beliefs for now, if your belief is anything but a sincere belief to Asherah and fake it.

I should have put that in the question.

The question is really about what you did in prayer and why, when you were alone, hiding with Jalitha, a few times a year. Considering your society, as a ten year old anyway, publicly denying your gods right now could potentially result in the following question:

Are you from...

A. Baitel
B. The tribes of the Pardonim
C. The village of Carine

Diogines fucked around with this message at 12:42 on May 24, 2013