Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Huh.

Wonder if I got them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
Yup. Everyone who pre-ordered the game should have 2 beta passes to give away. You might have to re-start Steam before they show up in your inventory but we gave those out last night.

Popeadactyl
Jul 28, 2009

dumb and gay
I got two of them and handed them out to some goons. I think everyone gets them.

I just got a PC last week and have been playing RO2 and now this pretty much non-stop. Wow I love it. I am by no means good but man do I love the bolt actions. I for some reason always end up Axis, which I've had a lot of fun with but today I've been trying out the allies and to be on the other end of a well put together Banzai charge is honestly one of the scariest things I've ever experienced in a game. There is always a silence before the huge ones, and it's funny because the guys with mics always anticipate it before it happens "everyone get ready, they're about to Banzai charge us".. and then come the countless screaming tojo

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
In the RO2 thread there was talk about RO2 owners getting the ability to play RS but with limited class selection without purchasing RS. Is that correct?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Captain Beans posted:

In the RO2 thread there was talk about RO2 owners getting the ability to play RS but with limited class selection without purchasing RS. Is that correct?
You can play Rifleman.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Sort of having fun playing for free in the beta. Design wise some of the stuff is much better than RO2.

But I find myself still struggling trying to awkwardly crawl through sticky terrain and deal with that terrible bandage system still. This hampers my enjoyment no matter what.

Good fun if you can put up with minor annoyances and all I guess.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

I've realized the only way I can tolerate playing this game is if I'm either a squad leader or commander. It's terrible not being able to throw smoke or mark arty. You can get a million kills in other classes but it almost completely doesn't matter -- unless there's smoke or artillery, nobody's moving forward. It doesn't hurt that you can find a good spot in the cap zone and let your squad spawn on you as SL.

I guess machine gunner is pretty good but it's less significant in this than in vanilla... probably because the maps make them more vulnerable.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do some kind goons want to make a thread in private games to give other goons some BETA keys? :v:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Didn't the RO2 Beta played drastically different from the end product? If tat's true, I'd hold off on preordering RS...

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun

Nitrox posted:

Didn't the RO2 Beta played drastically different from the end product? If tat's true, I'd hold off on preordering RS...
The RO2 beta was an omen for the RO2 release. The beta didn't work the day it was released and the poo poo ball continued to roll down hill from there.

So far there haven't been any major problems with the RS beta. I haven't had any issues with it other than some fps loss when it first came out and it crashed on me once.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

milk man posted:

I'm starting to see why this board loathes TWI so much.

Scroll down for response from tripwire dev.

I like how he didn't actually know how many points are awarded for kills.

Good lord. I rather liked RO2 for its mechanics even though I didn't play it a ton because, well, puggies gonna pug and the games were a clusterfuck. I'm liking RS as well. Sad that such dicks are involved in making this, especially when that level of arrogance is not in the slightest deserved when you consider that the games his company makes are just this side of playable half the time.

E. It's a shame that the Thompson SMG is the same pile of rear end and recoil that the PPSH was. I rather like that gun. Oh well, its not like the Allies don't have the widespread semiautomatic rifles and BARs to back it up.

Also, I didn't quite understand what a knee mortar is, it turns out. I figured it would be like the mortar-and-spotter team of the original's Western mod. But no, it's basically just a grenade launcher

E2.

milk man posted:

Hahaha

I always thought the blatant racism of both sides in RO2 (the in-game dialogue, I mean, not idiot players) was a really positive element of the game. You see how desperately they're trying to dehumanize each other while it's clear from your objective standpoint playing both teams that the reality of the situation is you're a bunch of sad soldiers taken from your homes to bleed out in the dirt. The lines like "I'd kill for just one drink of water" and the horrible screams of pain that last forever coming from the dude next to you that got shot in the gut really brought that home. And it felt like it was only happening because your commanders screamed that you'd be a hero for doing it. I felt the completely see-through war propaganda racism portrayed by the games makes the same poo poo employed today a little more obvious.

I guess not everybody took that lesson from it. :v:

I'm kind of glad that they took those things out, honestly, and made it a bit more silly with the over-the-top MERICA accents and whatnot. I'll admit that I got really depressed and felt really guilty when my guys were bleeding out and crying and begging for help, it kinda put me off the game.

Mission accomplished, I guess.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 25, 2013

milk man
Jun 5, 2012

Trigger warning: Hate speech
:siren: Post your steam account if you want a beta pass, I will edit this out when they are gone. :siren:

DreamShipWrecked posted:

E. It's a shame that the Thompson SMG is the same pile of rear end and recoil that the PPSH was.
The PPSh is actually an absurdly powerful gun in RO2. Second to none but the SVT-44 in my opinion. Once you learned to compensate for its crazy recoil you were a killing machine even at medium range. It took practice and I thought it was crappy too at first but it is AMAZING with lots of handling experience.

The Tommy gun does feel kinda iffy but the level 25 recoil upgrade does wonders and it is pretty much on par with the type100 at that point (AKA hideously effective in almost every conceivable encounter). I've been regularly picking off enemy snipers in windows with it, it is super adaptable. Also, the maxed out upgraded foregrip+drum mag mode is excellent and makes you look absolutely loving kickass so don't sweat it if you're a Thompson gun fan.

quote:

Also, I didn't quite understand what a knee mortar is, it turns out. I figured it would be like the mortar-and-spotter team of the original's Western mod. But no, it's basically just a grenade launcher
If you press scroll wheel up while holding aim with the mortar it turns from a stupid grenade launcher tube into an awesomely arcing mortar launcher. The game doesn't tell you this, though, so lots of people don't know.

quote:

I'm kind of glad that they took those things out, honestly, and made it a bit more silly with the over-the-top MERICA accents and whatnot. I'll admit that I got really depressed and felt really guilty when my guys were bleeding out and crying and begging for help, it kinda put me off the game.
Haha, I loved the horrible depressing poo poo in RO2 but I agree that the 'MERICA and BANZAI dialogue is wonderful. The incredibly goofy "LET'S PRAY TO THE LORD FOR STRENGTH, MEN" lines the commander spouts always put a smile on my face and make me happy that Tripwire made the American troops as goofy and amusing as the Japanese ones. The little bits of humor and cheesyness in an otherwise ~gritty and realistic~ game really work well.

milk man fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 25, 2013

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Played a few rounds, so far I think the japanese are way to gimmicky against US BAR's and tommy guns. Charging is fun but I can never tell if I'm actually stabbing someone or swinging at air. When teams are balanced it can be really intense, when their not its a pixel snipe fest that makes me watch to punch a baby.

Mushball
May 23, 2012
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197993431863

I would like a taste of the beta and a chance to get my shins blown off as well. I have a small question about weapon unlocks is can I opt to use a stock rifle when I have everything unlocked for it? Sure a bayonet might come in handy when I'm staring down a banzi charge, but sometimes I just want to use a gun with nothing on it.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
I gotta say im having a blast. Ive only had a few bugs, 3rd person as MG to name one. I've been destroying people with the flamethrower.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://steamcommunity.com/id/midnight_tornado

Get me in this beta :getin:

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

If anyone else has a beta key I'd really appreciate it. Felt conned by RO2. Hope this is better!

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197967596720

Guerrilla Warfare
Feb 22, 2008
No longer need one. Thanks afunnyname.

Guerrilla Warfare fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 25, 2013

Throckwoddle
Jan 3, 2012

You wanna dance?

Mushball posted:

I have a small question about weapon unlocks is can I opt to use a stock rifle when I have everything unlocked for it? Sure a bayonet might come in handy when I'm staring down a banzi charge, but sometimes I just want to use a gun with nothing on it.

When you are selecting role and your loadout, there are three chevrons next to the weapon allowing you to pick from the base, rank 25, and rank 50 versions of the weapon. You can do this with every weapon except the katana because the katana is technically equipment and not a weapon.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Ugh, why am I redownloading a 9 gig whatever now? Anyone else getting this?

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I played this for the second time last night, for about 4 hours. I was getting really frustrated after a while, dying constantly, getting TK'ed a lot, getting no more than my usual 3 kills and 50 deaths per round, dealing with weird terrain issues and invisible walls that I couldn't shoot through, and performance issues on some of the maps.

I wasn't really having much fun... until I picked the Japanese SMG class. I have no idea how but I just started tearing poo poo apart with that thing. Got 37 kills on Guadalcanal with it and then 43 on Iwo Jima. I had the high score on my team on Iwo Jima. I never do this well in RO2, ever. There must be something wrong with that SMG.

I was also really loving the banzai charges.

This Charming Man
Apr 18, 2010
I'd like a beta key if anybody has an extra one taking up space in their inventory.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Naheenanajad

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
The action mode is WAY more fun than the realism mode, that tends to apply towards the players on a particular server also. I have the realism servers filtered out and my fun has increased exponentially.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

milk man posted:

The PPSh is actually an absurdly powerful gun in RO2. Second to none but the SVT-44 in my opinion. Once you learned to compensate for its crazy recoil you were a killing machine even at medium range. It took practice and I thought it was crappy too at first but it is AMAZING with lots of handling experience.

The PPSH has always been an absurdly powerful gun, even in RO1. It basically subs as a light machine gun if you go prone supported, and it doesn't need to be unslung so it's superior for cornering and stuff.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Are the unlocks going to carry over into the regular, non-beta game?

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Also, do the weapons you level up in game become better or anything?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

SERPUS posted:

At certain levels you unlock upgrades for them, like bayonets for the rifles and ammo packs/drum mags for the SMGs. It's not a lvl 1 = upgrade thing, more like level 25 and so on.

Theoretically they are supposed to change in appearance as well, at least that was how it was *supposed* to work in vRO2. You start off with filthy and scratched up pieces of crap and when you hit top level you're working with shiny and new rifles.

VVVVV
What the link says.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 25, 2013

milk man
Jun 5, 2012

Trigger warning: Hate speech

SERPUS posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=146200163

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

My impressions for this are somewhat mixed, mostly depending on the maps.

Like, RO2's maps were mostly city terrain, or at the very least had a lot of hard corners. The grey-on-white color scheme made the units stand out more, and the uniforms were clearly different when compared to the environment which made finding out who is an enemy and who is not all that much easier except for extreme distances.

Now we have much more colorful maps, which would be good except that both teams are wearing basically the same shade of olive uniform (Japanese are more brownish) and only really differentiate in minor details in the uniform aside from the helmet, which is fairly different. This turns what should be a good strategy (flanking, pincer attacks, etc) into a recipe for failure since every shot is a risk for TK. Hell, there's been times when I've looked at someone five feet away and thought they were a friendly up until they shot me in the back.

Additionally, the maps with a lot of jungle in them are just a clusterfuck. Playing as Japanese my team found that the only way to reliably advance was to Banzai charge every time, otherwise you'd just get sniped off by MGs invisible and hidden in the bushes, or the ever-deadly flamethrower. The city landscapes are not nearly as bad and I have a lot more fun in them, but having the jungle maps go as "Lose until you can convince people to group up, then Banzai and win" isn't as much so. Not to mention that the bushes are very good at hiding defenders, which means that you're looking for olive helmets in the jungle, but make sure you don't stop to look at the details to see if he's an enemy or not because he's already seen you and *btam* you're dead.

It's realistic, of course, and something of a testament to what can be done in a game. But a game is just that, something you're supposed to enjoy and have fun with. But I can't say I'm really enjoying it more than I liked RO2.

E. Not to say that I'm not enjoying it, of course.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 25, 2013

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Now we have much more colorful maps, which would be good except that both teams are wearing basically the same shade of olive uniform (Japanese are more brownish) and only really differentiate in minor details in the uniform aside from the helmet, which is fairly different. This turns what should be a good strategy (flanking, pincer attacks, etc) into a recipe for failure since every shot is a risk for TK. Hell, there's been times when I've looked at someone five feet away and thought they were a friendly up until they shot me in the back.

US is green. Japanese are brown/tan. US holds gun in both hands, Jap in one. Never TK again, it's easy.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

I'd love a beta key!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/spacejam2000/

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I find the pubbie who constantly uses the flamethrower indoors around friends the most terrifying part of this game now.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I find the lack of thompson's and M1 carbines frustrating on the american side. Where is the assault fireteam with thompsons and carbines?

Right now, only team leaders and engies get these weapons. And yes, I know, the concept was somewhat new, so Guadalcanal does not need to have them. Howere, especially when it is the Army, in maps as Kwajalein, being the US side instead of marines, there should be an assault trooper with either M1 Carbine or Thompson.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun
Tripwire has made their first smartest decision. Team kills are now -2 points and wounding is -1 point. The best part is forgiving a team kill will remove the point penalty.

Yes I know people are going to be sperging when you don't forgive them.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Vahakyla posted:

I find the lack of thompson's and M1 carbines frustrating on the american side. Where is the assault fireteam with thompsons and carbines?

Right now, only team leaders and engies get these weapons. And yes, I know, the concept was somewhat new, so Guadalcanal does not need to have them. Howere, especially when it is the Army, in maps as Kwajalein, being the US side instead of marines, there should be an assault trooper with either M1 Carbine or Thompson.

You can get a Carbine sidearm as BAR gunner.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

TheBlobThing posted:

You can get a Carbine sidearm as BAR gunner.

What I mean, is that where is the commonly and historically used assault rifleman? The Automatic Rifleman uses the BAR, The Rifleman uses Garand.

In the loading tips, you can see a reference to "assault infantry", however, the assault infantry is not really found in the game. Right now, there is no way of playing with Thompson or Carbine without having to fill a special role in the side. You can't really have the engie or the leader charing in and the Automatic Rifleman needs to use his BAR.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Yo Mein, I was just in that game with the terrible homophobic Dutch/German Commander not doing anything.

I get the feeling we are the majority of players in this and most of us are rolling on beta invites now.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I will give credit to the game for one thing, it certainly does encourage teamwork a lot more than the original. vRO2 was basically a matter of out-shooting the enemy while you dart from cover to cover and occasionally throw smoke. Now the environmental hazards like slowing water and destructible razor wire, the banzai mechanic which is the most reliable way to take a point if you can organize your team, the need to focus down certain targets like the flamethrowers, all of these things require more communication than before, even in random pugs. Otherwise you lose horribly.

You can win by just trying to out-gun your enemy, but it's a lot less reliable.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I can't wait to be teamkilled by and/or teamkilling teammates to get in that sweet Chi-Ha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

Got one :getin:
Thanks to Le0 (also Orv who i guess was trying to give me one aswell).

Pand fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 27, 2013

• Locked thread