Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Eren was a violent rear end in a top hat who would randomly attack dudes with sticks. I think Mikasa's situation broke his brain, and the way he resolved it basically taught him that you could solve any problem in the world by hitting it enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Eren was a violent rear end in a top hat who would randomly attack dudes with sticks. I think Mikasa's situation broke his brain, and the way he resolved it basically taught him that you could solve any problem in the world by hitting it enough.

Don't you remember episode 6? He's not just some violent rear end in a top hat, he's batshit insane.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

devilmaydry posted:

I don't really get what people's issue with Eren was. He was basically shounen spirit taken to a psychotic extreme and everyone around him thought he was crazy because of it. I found that a lot of fun, personally.

That's what I love about it. The main character tries to be Goku, and the titans respond with "gently caress your anime bullshit" and murders him.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Mercrom posted:

Jojo-spoilers: Neo-Dio. The thing that actually bummed me out about the spoiler was that I was hoping for Dio to return in part 2, but it revealed that he only returns for part 3. :(
Also Jo-Jo spoilers: Ohhhh. I was trying to think if there was some last minute powerup I was forgetting. I guess I figured most people knew about "Neo-Dio" since the anime for that technically came out like 20-10 (you heard me) years ago and because of -that- meme it spawned on the internet.

devilmaydry posted:

Also, why are there JoJo spoilers in a completely unrelated thread? They aren't exactly major spoilers of part 3 but still.
Someone asked a question about spoiler policy and drew a comparison to the JoJo thread.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Phobophilia posted:

That's pretty obviously wrong. Eren knows full well that problems don't just go away when you hit them. That's why you've got to stab their friend, then charge those problems with a makeshift spear and solve them with some more stabbing.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Gyges posted:

That's pretty obviously wrong. Eren knows full well that problems don't just go away when you hit them. That's why you've got to stab their friend, then charge those problems with a makeshift spear and solve them with some more stabbing.

His "kill ALL the titans" career plan does follow that logic.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I swear to god I am going to ban everyone who posts spoilers and feels the need to constantly post about spoilers in here.

Also, Eren was just legitimately furious about the situation humanity resigned itself to. As a character Eren is a symbol of rebellion against norms and will against the terrible fate that has encompassed humanity. He isn't hugely talented, but he's determined and has ambition. Compare to Mikasa who is extremely talented and skilled, but largely just wants to be with what little family she has. He is similar to Ermin in that both dream of a life outside of the walls and reject and the "givens" of society, but while Ermin is calm and planning, Eren took bold action and relied on his will to get him through things.

Turns out, the world he lives isn't quite nice enough to let that fly easily.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 22, 2013

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

devilmaydry posted:

I don't really get what people's issue with Eren was. He was basically shounen spirit taken to a psychotic extreme and everyone around him thought he was crazy because of it. I found that a lot of fun, personally.
The "psychotic extreme" part wasn't revealed before episode 6. He just seemed like a generic protagonist who was also a brat who had no loving idea what he wanted and talked big constantly. But nope, he genuinely wants to kill all the titans, by himself, probably with his bare hands.

Edit: I was just as annoyed with Mikasa, since she seemed even more generic, and also pointless. Turns out she's basically a product of Eren's madness and that is amazing.

Mercrom fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 22, 2013

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Eren isn't mad. It's like you lot were never ambitious teenagers who thoughts you were special and wanted to do A Thing before!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Zorak posted:

Eren isn't mad. It's like you lot were never ambitious teenagers who thoughts you were special and wanted to do A Thing before!

I know what it's like to be ambitious and want to be special, but I'm also convinced I spent the entirety of my teenage years in delirium.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Teenagers already rebel against imaginary forces out to oppress them and even their parents who have their best interest in mind. Imagine there was a army of human-eating giants to direct that teenage angst towards, if anything Eren is the most realistic of the characters.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm also convinced I spent the entirety of my teenage years in delirium.

Also known as "being a teenager".

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Zorak posted:

I swear to god I am going to ban everyone who posts spoilers and feels the need to constantly post about spoilers in here.

Also, Eren was just legitimately furious about the situation humanity resigned itself to. As a character Eren is a symbol of rebellion against norms and will against the terrible fate that has encompassed humanity. He isn't hugely talented, but he's determined and has ambition. Compare to Mikasa who is extremely talented and skilled, but largely just wants to be with what little family she has. He is similar to Ermin in that both dream of a life outside of the walls and reject and the "givens" of society, but while Ermin is calm and planning, Eren took bold action and relied on his will to get him through things.

Turns out, the world he lives isn't quite nice enough to let that fly easily.

I agree with most of this.

However, I think Armin's primary roll is as a source of inspiration for Eren. If it weren't for Armin, Eren would never have aspirations about exploring the world beyond the wall. I think Armin plays the roll of a historian or a philosopher; he has no fiery ambition of his own, but he inspires others to help him reach a common goal. The only one Armin could inspire was Eren, and when he got chomped, Armin broke because he had nothing left to live for.

I think you're spot on about Mikasa though. She has everything but the ambition to lead her to greatness. She is too humble to aspire for more than what she already has, so her goal is simply to keep those things safe. However, I think that once Eren was gone, the only thing she had left to protect were her friends and colleagues that were trapped with her, so her priority shifted to their safety.

Eren is nothing more than raw ambition. He is the concentrated resentment of all of humanity. He is essentially Kamina, but replace the batshit insanity with raw ambition.

HE IS THE SWORD THAT WILL PIERCE THE NECKS OF OUR OPPRESSORS! LITERALLY!

Or was, unfortunately. I'm really interested in seeing where this story goes now that such a large portion of the main cast is dead or dying or mentally broken.

Schwarzwald posted:

I know what it's like to be ambitious and want to be special, but I'm also convinced I spent the entirety of my teenage years in delirium.

You would definitely have if you lived your life with memories of you friends, family, and neighbors getting chomped by building sized human-like giants.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 22, 2013

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Zorak posted:

There's being a teenager and then there's tracking and killing two people through careful planning before you are a teenager, and developing a mindset/philosophy from that and following it zealously through the entirety of the rest of your childhood. There is nothing not crazy about Eren.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Mercrom posted:

There's being a teenager and then there's tracking and killing two people through careful planning before you are a teenager, and developing a mindset/philosophy from that and following it zealously through the entirety of the rest of your childhood. There is nothing not crazy about Eren.

Sounds like someone had a very dull childhood!

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Mercrom posted:

Excuse me, but Eren has never killed any humans. Those were just rabid dogs waiting to get put down.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Even in my most delirious depths of my teenage years I never randomly wacked a bunch of random adults across the back of their heads with a stick of firewood. Let's face it, in a kinder era, adult Eren would be getting drunk in a bar picking fights with strangers.

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
I think what people are having trouble reconciling is that Eren isn't just a point and shoot charger, though he definitely has the heart of one. He knew the only way to kill titans was to become a part of the military, and the first thing he asked in class was 'how can we kill these things?' during training.

My issue with him is that he is clearly willing and able to kill a fully grown man or two, but when we're introduced to him a group of teenage thugs consider him a joke fight.

Either he's willing to hold back to some extent based on how severely someone ticks him off, or he's calmed down immensely since childhood.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
He doesn't want to actually kill the bullies, so he doesn't really fight them. He just lets his anger run wild.

In the flashback, his attack was fully premeditated and executed coldly and efficiently. This wasn't wild anger. It was pure vengance.

I will admit that such an inexplicably drastic change is beyond strange. There's never really an explanation for it. At the end of the day, the flashback was a mechanism to develop Mikasa's personality and backstory, but it left Eren in an awkward position in terms of his character development.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 22, 2013

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

motoh posted:

My issue with him is that he is clearly willing and able to kill a fully grown man or two, but when we're introduced to him a group of teenage thugs consider him a joke fight.

Either he's willing to hold back to some extent based on how severely someone ticks him off, or he's calmed down immensely since childhood.
He had time to plan, the element of surprise, and luck. Being a ruthless killer doesn't give him superpowers. No amount of determination is going to beat a significant size and number advantage even in a teen street fight. If he really wanted to he might be able to kill them in their sleep or poison them but seriously.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

motoh posted:

I think what people are having trouble reconciling is that Eren isn't just a point and shoot charger, though he definitely has the heart of one. He knew the only way to kill titans was to become a part of the military, and the first thing he asked in class was 'how can we kill these things?' during training.

It's not like he was going to kill the bullies, plus the reason he was able to kill two fully grown men was because of planning and surprise, not because he was an amazing fighter. 3 on 1 is bad odds, and it seemed like the bullies had had their share of fighting experience.

Zorak posted:

Yeah I don't see how Eren is crazy at all. Crazy awesome, maybe. Those dudes he killed totally deserved it. It was reckless considering his age at the time, but it turned out relatively well when you consider the society they live in.

He's very angry, sure, but angry != crazy.

Soulcleaver posted:

Excuse me, but Eren has never killed any humans. Those were just rabid dogs waiting to get put down.
Also this.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Cicero posted:

He's very angry, sure, but angry != crazy.
Let's agree to a compromise and say he's mad.

Soulcleaver posted:

Phobophilia posted:

Let's face it, in a kinder era, adult Eren would be getting drunk in a bar picking fights with strangers.
No. Face it, without titans, in 30 years this is Eren: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO4kg4YhJpA

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Mercrom posted:

He had time to plan, the element of surprise,

So he's Batman?

Works for me.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
I actually waited on a friend (who is completely unspoiled and routinely freaks out over chat about the show) to start watching, but she's been busy so I caved. Holy poo poo the sound direction was fantastic, and I had the biggest drat grin on my face when the Angriest Titan punched the other titan--which I'm sure had a lot to do with it. Such a good episode.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I've never watched much Anime but this is easily the best so far. Besides LotGH. Ofcourse.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I love this show cause it brings back memories of junior high.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Housh posted:

I love this show cause it brings back memories of junior high.

Your junior high had giant man-eating monsters? :what:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

chami posted:

Yours didn't?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

chami posted:

Y-y-yea :smith:

KoB
May 1, 2009

chami posted:

They're called 8th graders.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009
I just got caught up with this anime (well, just started and then immediately watched the rest), and I can't wait to see what happens next. I guess I could theoretically read the manga to find out, but I've been enjoying the overall experience of the anime enough that I think I'm going to wait to read it until after the animated version finishes. Now, for some speculation.

Srice posted:

Well, it's mostly the backstory combined with all the other clues. Stuff like Eren getting a mysterious injection would be one hell of a false flag if it were to be never mentioned again. It would be a fake out for the sake of being a fake out, nothing more.

It would make the narrative really clumsy. Since it's been handled rather deftly up until now (pacing feels good, the characters feel human and have a lot of good moments where that humanity shows, and we've been spared huge verbose infodumps), that clumsiness isn't something I'd expect.

miscellaneous14 posted:

One of the things I loved about this one was the Rogue Titan's yell. It was probably one of the main things from the manga I was curious about how they'd portray, and it's perfect.

This is what shoved me into thinking yeah, that's Eren. Mostly because it reminded me of "the artificial human, Evangelion". That's what his father's work was, right? :v:. So now Eren is Unit-01, I guess. We have yet to see how different he is mentally, and I have absolutely no idea where the show is going to go from here. It's wonderful.

At this point I'm also wondering if that key from Dr. Jäger is going to pop back up. It's probably gone forever, but the narrative seemed to give it some weight. Even without the key, maybe they'll make an expedition to the ruins of that house sometime, and just (dig out and) kick in the door. If nothing came of that, it would be immensely unsatisfying.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I think we all agree that CQC Titan is Eren, the real question is, will he remain like that for the rest of the show, or return to normal and hulk it out whenever he needs to kick some titan rear end?

Rexides fucked around with this message at 10:43 on May 24, 2013

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I would love it if he actually has to be eaten and thus as any sane person refues to do it ever again.

Znorelag
Oct 25, 2009
I can hardly wait until the next episode! When do they release anyway?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Znorelag posted:

I can hardly wait until the next episode! When do they release anyway?

https://countdown.mandragon.info

Airs about 2am every Sunday, Japan time.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Autonomous Monster posted:

https://countdown.mandragon.info

Airs about 2am every Sunday, Japan time.

This link really ought to be at the top of the Spring 2013 thread.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Affi posted:

I would love it if he actually has to be eaten and thus as any sane person refues to do it ever again.

Your argument falls apart when you imply that Eren is a sane person

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Emy posted:

At this point I'm also wondering if that key from Dr. Jäger is going to pop back up. It's probably gone forever, but the narrative seemed to give it some weight. Even without the key, maybe they'll make an expedition to the ruins of that house sometime, and just (dig out and) kick in the door. If nothing came of that, it would be immensely unsatisfying.

I completely forgot about that key. It only ever showed up in the first episode right? Eren's dad hands it to him and says its the key to the basement or something similar?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ViggyNash posted:

I completely forgot about that key. It only ever showed up in the first episode right? Eren's dad hands it to him and says its the key to the basement or something similar?

It was mentioned again in the beginning of another episode. I forget which one exactly, but I remember it was in the first few minutes of whatever episode it was. IIRC Eren has a dream and you see that he's been keeping the key around his neck.

There's definitely something important in that basement, that's for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Srice posted:

There's definitely something important in that basement, that's for sure.
In the basement, it's revealed that there's a whole tiny world of even smaller people to which the humans are the giants.

WHAT A TWIST!

• Locked thread