Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

I'm still going with sinccere belief in Asherah. We are very young, we are the son of the high priest. and we have seen Asherah's works in the world. Are we going to throw that away becaus a nice lady tells good stories?

Jalitha is very careful to call El a "Sky Giant" rather than a god, and to mask his teachings as stories. Maybe we do believe that there are Sky Giants, but they aren't gods. Besides, if we talk to them, how will they hear us from way up there?

(I'm betting that dad has good understandable reasons for the actions he took in Asherah's name. He'll have to be called on it, but let's wait until we're at least teenagers before we start threatening to renounce our faith. For now, we should be true believers.)

UppaTree fucked around with this message at 13:05 on May 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!
In our eyes, we have seen "proof" of Asherah. I see no reason why we would doubt his existence at this point. It seems a little silly to go athiest or Sky Giant believer. We've seen a priest of Asherah, our father, beat Jalitha on multiple occasions and have seen no evidence of her gods at all. And to top it off, we're only ten years old. We won't be able to overly analyze this kind of thing. It'd be hard for an adult to believe otherwise, let alone a child of this age. I could see us praying with her though, as she is a dear friend. The only one we have, really, other than our Uncles and Mother whom are kin.

1:

A: Ocean
H: Jorah
B: Jalitha
F: Father
E: Pagem
D: Shore
G: Mom
C: Forest

2:

A. Ashera & Our Gods

Edit: I was beaten to this point a bit, but my comment still stands.

Vagon fucked around with this message at 13:11 on May 24, 2013

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
1. B, D, E, C, F, G, A

2. G. I think we'd believe most in a god whose most ardent follower has been kind, rather then one whose most ardent follower has been a colossal prick even if said prick is our dad.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Be a 10-year old.

I declare myself the founding member of the gently caress Time-Zones Party. :v:

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

I selflessly rescued an abandoned cat during the COVID-19 Pandemic :3:

G: Mother

L, we believe in them both. There's little reason to disbelieve in Ashera at this point what with it being the religion of the village. But the kindness and closeness of Jalitha would mean her beliefs have a huge influence on me too.

cxp
Mar 27, 2010
Fun Shoe

F: Dad

L, we believe in them both.

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!
Question! I'm sorry if this disrupts the voting at all, but could we have a rough age on what Jalitha appears to be? I know shes younger than our parents, but are we talking mid twenties? Late teens? And how old does our mother seem, roughly? And father, for that matter? Just a general idea so we know what to imagine in our heads. I understand if you'd rather not say at this time!

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
As a reminder, the options for 1 and 2 are:

Diogines posted:

1. You are now ten years old. You spent time with many people over the last six years, sometimes by choice, sometimes, you were forced to. Please order the following in the order you spent the most time with them, from most frequent to least frequent. Before anyone asks, I swear to Denziroh that this vote does not correspond to deciding some sort of secret stats like str / con / dex / int / wis / cha or any other similar formulation, so, trying to correspond different votes to stats in this vote won't achieve that goal.

A. Father
B. Uncle Jorah
C. Uncle Pagam
D. Mom
E. Jalitha
F. Alone along the beach
G. Alone in the forest
H. Alone, swimming in the ocean

2. When the men of the village left for a week, did you pray with Jalitha for Uncle Jorah to return safely?
Please pick ONE.
Because of the large number of options, please make sure to include the letter, to make it easier to count. Thank you!

A. Yes, to Ashera and to the other gods of your people, because you believe in them
B. Yes, to Ashera and to the other gods of your people, because everyone believes in them
C. Yes, with Jalitha to her sky giant, because you believe in him
D. Yes, with Jalitha to her sky giant, because you think it will make Jalitha happy, but you don't believe in him
E. Yes, with Jalitha to her sky giant, because you think it will make Jalitha happy, but you don't care if he exists or not, you just want to make Jalitha happy
F. Yes, to both Ashera and the gods of your people, alongside Jalitha's the sky giant, but you only believe in Asherah and his children
G. Yes, to both Ashera and the gods of your people, alongside Jalitha's the sky giant, but you only believe in her sky giant
H. Yes, to both Ashera and the gods of your people, alongside Jalitha's the sky giant, you don't know what you believe
I. No, you did not pray, you are angry at the thought of prayer, because of your fathers harsh treatment of you, but have not decided if you are angry at the gods or not, you are just angry
J. No, you did not pray, you are angry at all gods, because of your fathers harsh treatment of you
K. No, you did not pray, you do not BELIEVE in gods because of your fathers harsh treatment
L. Yes, to both Ashera and the gods of your people, alongside Jalitha's sky giant, you believe in them both

Edit:
:saddowns:

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 24, 2013

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Canuck-Errant posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren:

For this one - which :siren: may have been missed :siren: because it was at the bottom of the last page - I'm going to vote:

That wasn't a vote. That was a "Game Over" joke. Unless I'm horribly wrong about Dio's intentions.

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!

my dad posted:

That wasn't a vote. That was a "Game Over" joke. Unless I'm horribly wrong about Dio's intentions.

Yeah, it was a joke. He was saying if we were in public and doing this out loud and chose to denounce our god, we may as well have been voting for a game over.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

1. HABECFGD
2. L

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Vagon posted:

Yeah, it was a joke. He was saying if we were in public and doing this out loud and chose to denounce our god, we may as well have been voting for a game over.
It was a joke. Publicly denouncing the gods of your people as a ten year old child should have "exciting" results, yes, so I assume that whatever you pick to answer #2, you don't openly defy traditional beliefs. #2 is about what you did in private with Jalitha and your own beliefs.

You are ALWAYS welcome to change your vote, but if you do after this point, please do so by making a NEW post. Editing in at the end of your old vote something like "see below" is nice, to help our dedicated team of vote counters, statisticians and chart makers but it is not required.

After reviewing their hard work, for this vote, we are going to go by points where your first pick is worth 8, your next pick is worth 7, then 6 and so on, which is different from what I first intended but I think that way is better.

The main update will be tonight and we are still on that vote.

Your fathers job involves more than simply beating you for not remembering all of his lessons perfectly. Your people have no writing and he is the chief historian of the village. Many nights the people of your home gather to hear him tell the sacred stories of your people. One story you memorized perfectly after a number of beatings. Your father had you share the story before the village when you were nine, it was as follows:

"In the beginning, Asherah swam through the waters and His Hunger was Great as he swam through the deep.

Where Asherah beat his tail the waters were deepened and where he lifted up his tail, rose land. Where he splashed water high was made the sky, stars and moon and sun.

And His Hunger was Great as he swam through the deep.

Where Asherah lowered his fins, came the plants of the sea and where he raised them came the plants of the land.

Asherah cast forth his seed unto the waters and made the Great Fish and their names are Ninveh, Yamsef, Daam, Keenem, Nagaal, Faram, Smis, Adom, Jaar, Xural, Amal, Menl, Garal and Ophama.

Asherah ate the flesh of his sons and daughters and the flesh of their sons and daughters.

Asherah cast his seed upon the land and where it landed came our fathers.

And His Hunger was Great as he swam through the deep."

For once, your father was pleased with you and told you he was proud of you when you finished the story, perfectly. His satisfaction almost lasted a full day, till you accidentally sorted some sacred sea shells wrong and he beat you. When you asked what the next verse of the story was, your father said you would learn when you became a man.

Jalithas stories have a different tone. Many of them involve fantastical places far to the north or east or across the sea or in the clouds.

As she cooks, Jalitha tells you many stories. There is a great deal of violence in her stories but they are rather exciting, people fighting each other or slaying giant monsters or sky giants fighting monsters to protect people. Sometimes the sky giants trick each other or argue but they never fight. According to Jalitha, the world is filled with dangerous and scary monsters always just over the next hill, but you do not need to be afraid because the sky giants will keep them away. These monsters take many forms and shapes. Scary people who eat other people are a common theme but they are always stopped just in the nick of time when the heroes defeat them to save the innocent.

The best stories that she tells you are about the sky giants Smattas and Maranal. Smattas is said to be spear of the Sky Giant El, the father of the Sky Giants. In her stories, Smattas always arrives to defeat horrible monsters and save little children when all hope is lost and he always, always, always wins, even when it seems impossible.

She teaches you not to fear thunder for it is not the anger of Asherah as your father had taught you, but rather, it is the sound of battles of Smattas as he defeats monsters far away to save little children and women. Lighting are blessings sent by Marnal as Smattas fights, to help sick and hurt people who were hurt by monsters, he is so strong he can even bring dead people back to life! She also tells you stories of the land giant Labaras and his many fantastical journeys across the world, hunting monsters and going on adventures. When he was all done adventuring, he founded the great village of Baitel far to the north and then joined the sky giants in their home in the clouds.

According to Jalitha, when you are in danger or in trouble you should ask El to send his the sky giants to save you and if you are nice to other people and don't hurt people than they will always keep you safe.

According to your father, Asherah does not help people but will punish you if you disobey by sending the fish away or sending storms. Sometimes Asherah's children help you and sometimes they hurt you.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 24, 2013

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
QUESTION: What is the largest number we can count to?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Everyone knows you count one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, lots, many-lots.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
What are the odds of Sky Giants being angels, I wonder...

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

many-lots of votes in the spreadsheet

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
1. Greatest to least,B, E, D, H, F, C, G, A, gently caress you dad.

2. L

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

1. B, E, F, H, A, C, D, G

2. E

What have the sky giants or big fish done for me lately :colbert:

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
Can I encourage the 'gently caress you Dad' people not to disgard their disdain for the man who beats us and every weaker person who disagrees with him, but rather save that disdain, and use it as fuel for a later rebellion, at a point and age where it would make sense and be at all practical or plausible to efficiently stand our ground against him?

I mean, I'm sure there's a way him coming last in the votes would be written to make sense, but I'm also sure it would involve us essentially running away and hiding a whole hell of a lot. This isn't a rebellion now, we've been 4-10 years old, this is hiding under the bed. It also ensures that the people of the town will have even more disdain for us, since we, the defiled outcast, aren't even making an effort to fulfill our duty to our God and High Priest, appear to be flipping off Asherah, and aren't learning the rituals or anything, making us effectively useless except maybe for chopping wood.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
That's a hell of a good point.

Mr Apollo
Jan 1, 2013
1. A, B, C, D, E, H, F, G
2. L

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Theglavwen posted:

Can I encourage the 'gently caress you Dad' people not to disgard their disdain for the man who beats us and every weaker person who disagrees with him, but rather save that disdain, and use it as fuel for a later rebellion, at a point and age where it would make sense and be at all practical or plausible to efficiently stand our ground against him?

I mean, I'm sure there's a way him coming last in the votes would be written to make sense, but I'm also sure it would involve us essentially running away and hiding a whole hell of a lot. This isn't a rebellion now, we've been 4-10 years old, this is hiding under the bed. It also ensures that the people of the town will have even more disdain for us, since we, the defiled outcast, aren't even making an effort to fulfill our duty to our God and High Priest, appear to be flipping off Asherah, and aren't learning the rituals or anything, making us effectively useless except maybe for chopping wood.

Yes, I agree. We are being subject to a 'strong father' model which is formative, but are still a bit young to niter act with the formative nature of it. It kind of just is at this point for us.

Beef-Stew
Feb 1, 2005
mmmmmmm... Beefy

B. Uncle Jorah
A. Father
D. Mom
E. Jalitha
F. Alone along the beach
C. Uncle Pagam
G. Alone in the forest

L. Yes, to both Ashera and the gods of your people, alongside Jalitha's sky giant, you believe in them both

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

quote:

Uncle Jorah - 504 (6.55)
Father - 406 (5.27)
Alone/Ocean - 390 (5.06)
Jalitha - 389 (5.05)
Mom - 320 (4.16)
Alone/Beach - 291 (3.78)
Uncle Pagam - 278 (3.66)
Alone/Forest - 192 (2.49)

Current updated tally. It would not take much effort to switch Father, Alone/Ocean and Jalitha around by promoting one of the three and demoting the others in your votes.

But please make sure you say you're changing it!

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Disargeria posted:

many-lots of votes in the spreadsheet

Crap, I missed C? I have no idea what C was but I put it right in the middle then.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Genpei Turtle posted:

Crap, I missed C? I have no idea what C was but I put it right in the middle then.

It's just Uncle Pagem, so it's not like it makes a difference :V

DCBomB
Sep 14, 2008

Noooooo don't forget Uncle Pagem :smith:

GloriousDemon
May 1, 2009

Canuck-Errant posted:

It's just Uncle Pagem, so it's not like it makes a difference :V

But.. but.. It's adventure on the high seas... BOATS!

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Uncle Pagem sounds like a child molester to be honest. That creepy forest uncle.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

Genpei Turtle posted:

But there's no middle! Do you mean above or below Jorah?

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Uncle Pagem's my highest choice, closely behind my Alone in the Forest vote. Sad to see it on the bottom, but it's what the people want. Sure, it's true investing in Shushem to usurp the title of High Priest is wise, but there's a whole world out there we should prepare for. Pagem may be more learned in the ways of the outside world than the rest of Athar.

Either way, my goal for Og is to cultivate his self control, discipline and willpower.

gnarl
Jul 28, 2010
Soiled Meat

D. Mom
A. Father
E. Jalitha
B. Uncle Jorah
C. Uncle Pagam
G. Alone in the forest
F. Alone along the beach

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Pochoclo posted:

Uncle Pagem sounds like a child molester to be honest. That creepy forest uncle.

I think a lot of people are mistaking kindness for perversion, not that I voted for him very high.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

1. BAFDCEGH
2. F

edit: Also, :psyduck: at you guys who don't trust Jalitha.

Ixtlilton fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 24, 2013

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Snow Job posted:

I think a lot of people are mistaking kindness for perversion, not that I voted for him very high.

That had me a little confused, yeah. He is a tool maker and hunter and is the silent type. He is one of the few people who in your life who is actually nice to you. Spending many long hours scraping stone tools and longer hours hunting, he is prone to silence. That disgusting topic mentioned above is not in the game.

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

A
B
C
D
H
G
F
E

Did we never ask Jalitha why she tried to cut our hair? And now she's saying stuff like Asherah's not responsible for the thunder? Is she trying to sabotage us? She's nice, of course, but I don't trust her.

And A. Yes, to Ashera and to the other gods of your people, because you believe in them. And only them.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Question One
1. A
2. B
3. C
4. E
5. H
6. F
7. D
8. G

Question Two: L: You believe in both

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Having seen the rundown on the two beliefs, I'm honestly kinda liking the fish god. I mean, OK, dad is an rear end, no doubts. But, odds are it's the same thing as what happened to Sebek: that's how he was raised by his own emotionally distant and abusive father, and that's just how he's been raised to roll.

BUT, the fish god seems like it's just a simple anthromorphication of the ocean itself. Sometimes it's calm, sometimes the winds are favorable and the fish plentiful. And sometimes, it's stormy and hellbent on ruining the poo poo of anyone who dares to make the mistake of being nearby.

Jalitha's, well, sounds like a load of crap. I'm sure she believes it, and hell, given the nature of our game, it's possibly true too. But it mostly sounds like fairy tales, and that's going to dull our young mind's ability to be perceptive, because we're just going to assume that her sky giants will protect us, so gently caress watching our own backs.

I think if we can combine belief of fishgod with our ability to grow up and NOT be a jerk like our dad, we'll grow up to have a fairly sensible head on our shoulders, maybe even be clever enough to treat the fishgod stories as the cautionary tales they're meant to be, rather than literal truth.

Changing my #2 to Praying to Fishgod because we believe in Fishgod

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Diogines posted:

That had me a little confused, yeah. He is a tool maker and hunter and is the silent type. He is one of the few people who in your life who is actually nice to you. Spending many long hours scraping stone tools and longer hours hunting, he is prone to silence. That disgusting topic mentioned above is not in the game.

I assumed, and hope, that that was intended as just being silly. Haha, silent guy who spends all his time alone in the forest, oooh, creepy dude, etc.

Then again, you never know around here anymore :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I vote we spent all our time with Pagem because he seems awesome.