Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Website|Itunes|RSS feed|Youtube Channel

Old thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3439496

The Adam Carolla Show is the flagship PIRATE SHIP podcast on the Carolla network hosted by radio and TV show host, comedian and LITERAL millionaire Adam Carolla. Carolla is probably best known for cohosting 10 magical years of Loveline from 1995-2005 with dear, dear friend and man of exceptional passion Dr. Drew Pinsky.

He started this podcast in February 2009 immediately after the cancellation of the Adam Carolla Show, a morning radio program he hosted on KLSX in L.A. The first year of the podcast was mostly him doing a "poor man's Charlie Rose", sitting down for one on one interviews with an assortment of actors, musicians and the like in his home/garage/warehouse. The show has gradually morphed into a format loosely resembling the morning radio show, with a soundboard, news segments (really just launchpads for rants), interviews with a wide range of personalities famous and fringe, and recurring bits with semi-regular guests such as Dana Gould, Dave Dameshek, and music writer/critic/Rolling Stone editor David Wild. It's recorded most weekday evenings from one of his warehouses full of cars, which he has partly converted into a recording studio.

The podcast is released five days a week Monday-Friday. There are occasional one on one interviews and live podcasts from restaurants, comedy clubs and other venues.

Youtube Channel
On Tuesday evenings, the show is broadcast live on Youtube by the Video Podcast Network, which also features the awesome podcast Comedy Bang Bang and a new show hosted by Norm MacDonald. The full episodes of the Adam Carolla Show are available for watching a few hours after they stream, usually.

The Hosts

Adam Lakers Carolla: Host, professional complainer, literal millionaire
Alison "Becky Honkington" Rosen: Newsgirl, cohost, skilled "Yes, and"-er
Bryan "Bald" Bishop (aka Bald Bryan): Former phone screener on Loveline, engineer on the Adam Carolla radio show, now his primary job is running the soundboard and disagreeing with Adam.

Other Crew
From left to right:
Mike Lynch: Producer
Mike "Dude." Dawson: Producer/Voice Over/Audio/Post Production
Gary Smith: Associate Producer
Chris "Maxipada" Laxamana: Technical Director
Matt "The Porcelain Punisher" Fondiler: Show Summary

A rare picture of the staff together, I have no clue who some of these people are though (I think that's Mike August on the far right):

The Drops (thanks Vykk.Draygo!)

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Reposting this page that explains and links to a bunch of the show's drops. https://sites.google.com/site/carolladrops/drops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

The Adam and Dr. Drew Show

Website|Itunes|RSS feed
Adam Carolla and Dr. Drew reunite to take calls (they actually do take a call every once in a while) and talk about whatever's on their minds. There's a good deal of ranting about taxes and old white guy problems, but it often has a later-era Loveline vibe. I highly recommend the shows with guests, they introduce the guests right away and it helps keep the show moving.

They take calls at this number on weekday afternoons when they record the show: 877-564-2326. Watch the Twitter feed to see exactly when: @AdamCarollaShow

The Dr. Drew Podcast

Website|Itunes|RSS feed
Drew hosts this show solo, although Carolla's been on once or twice toward the beginning. Often serious but very intriguing and very good. Dr. Drew punches his mic and talks passionately about mental health, addiction and a broad spectrum of healthcare issues, and often has guests that are experts in the field.

Ace on the House

Website|Itunes|RSS feed
Adam and his old buddy Ray Oldhafer take home improvement questions.

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 15, 2013

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Bryan "Bald" Bishop (aka Bald Bryan)

We all bitch and complain about Adam and the show(s), but it really is great news about Bryan's recovery. And the stories about Adam being emotional about Bryan's condition are pretty heart-warming, too. :unsmith:

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast
Every time I see a picture of Dawson I can only think "No loving way"

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

The surfer with the golden voice.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Every time I see a picture of Dawson I can only think "No loving way"

They all look like that in Dudeseldorf

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Today's A&DD episode is blowhard-y to an astounding extent: welfare state, absolute gender roles, it's got it all. Drew hasn't explicitly hollered about the “tyranny of the majority” yet, but he's getting there.

Thurlow
Aug 14, 2005

WEH posted:

Today's A&DD episode is blowhard-y to an astounding extent: welfare state, absolute gender roles, it's got it all. Drew hasn't explicitly hollered about the “tyranny of the majority” yet, but he's getting there.

It's so, so bad. I think I'm done with that show. Would be great if they spent more time taking calls but that just isn't going to happen. They really need a guest on there in order to keep Adam from flying off the handle into blowhard territory.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

WEH posted:

It was indeed pretty God drat blowhardy but I will say I appreciated Drew's slight push back regarding Adam focusing solely on money and how that kind of turns people off.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

I think today was the first time I've ever sided with Adam over Lynette. When he was telling the story about him not being able to go to Sunny's play because he was overworked and tired. We know Adam goes to a lot of school events and whether he likes it or not attends a ton of functions for his kids, and he does do a lot of things to make a lot of money. I think he deserves a pass to miss one play since Lynette presumably would still be there in the audience. My parents almost never went to my school functions, and the same went for a lot of people I grew up with and I don't think it really makes a ton of difference.

Now I assume the conversation didn't go exactly the way Adam described it but I don't think he should be demonized for wanting to skip one school event to rest after driving around California making the big bucks all week.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

I just want to know how Adam can think he's paying “basically 50 percent” of his income on taxes.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

WEH posted:

I just want to know how Adam can think he's paying “basically 50 percent” of his income on taxes.
I'm not a tax expert but being super rich and paying Federal + California State tax probably gets you close, though I'm sure just with standard business-owner shuffling his effective rate comes down some. I remember when Phil Michelson said 62% people said that was impossible but that it WAS possibly something like 52%.

Just to echo what you and Thurlow said about the recent A&DD episode (I listen to that, DD show, and Ace on the House): I tune Adam out when I know where he's going so that episode seemed like it was, in total, about 2 minutes long.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

WEH posted:

Probably because he's basically paying 50 percent on his taxes. It's not far fetched if you don't have insane amounts of deductions.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Just want to point out that the picture of the three main players proves just how unoriginal and lame Bryan is. I hate Bryan. Peace.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Ez posted:

I think today was the first time I've ever sided with Adam over Lynette. When he was telling the story about him not being able to go to Sunny's play because he was overworked and tired. We know Adam goes to a lot of school events and whether he likes it or not attends a ton of functions for his kids, and he does do a lot of things to make a lot of money. I think he deserves a pass to miss one play since Lynette presumably would still be there in the audience. My parents almost never went to my school functions, and the same went for a lot of people I grew up with and I don't think it really makes a ton of difference.

Now I assume the conversation didn't go exactly the way Adam described it but I don't think he should be demonized for wanting to skip one school event to rest after driving around California making the big bucks all week.
Yeah he also made the valid point that the kid doesn't care anyway. At that age I don't even remember most of the school things we did, and it definitely didn't matter to me if my parents were there or not. It was just a break from regular school and a chance to horse around with friends as much as we could get away with.

I also don't remember doing much more than having some kind of play for Christmas and maybe one or two other parent-involved things (late in the evening by the way) a couple times a year at the most. I'm sure a lot of it is the rich guy Hollywood school he sends his kids to but it really does sound like the school events are getting out of hand.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

WEH posted:

Over 30% to Federal, 10% to State, and owning the company means paying out both ends of the payroll tax. When you thrown in property tax and stuff he's probably close to 50%.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

Niwrad posted:

Over 30% to Federal, 10% to State, and owning the company means paying out both ends of the payroll tax. When you thrown in property tax and stuff he's probably close to 50%.

Hes also not counting a bunch of the perks he gets from owning that business though. He always talks about leasing cars for his dad/Lynnette which I imagine he does through his company for a tax break and things of that nature. But yeah, its not insane to think that he pays a shitload in taxes, maybe close to 50%.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Hes also not counting a bunch of the perks he gets from owning that business though. He always talks about leasing cars for his dad/Lynnette which I imagine he does through his company for a tax break and things of that nature. But yeah, its not insane to think that he pays a shitload in taxes, maybe close to 50%.

Well I still can't stand him going on rants about taxes for the millionth time but I can't blame him for being pissed if he actually has to pay 50%, drat.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

Ez posted:

Well I still can't stand him going on rants about taxes for the millionth time but I can't blame him for being pissed if he actually has to pay 50%, drat.

The tax rants are some of the worst but there is no doubt that he is paying a ton of them. I remember reading an article on Fortune or Forbes or something like that a few months ago about who actually pay the most in taxes percentage wise. Because there are a lot of tax breaks for poor people (because they are poor) and really rich people (because they are job creators or whatever) the people who get hosed the most on taxes are people who are in that highest tax bracket (around 400,000 I think) up to a few million per year because they make enough to be in that super high tax bracket but not enough to do legal and quasi legal things to hide money and avoid paying taxes (which I think the article said was around 2 million/year). Adam is somewhere in that 400k- 2 million range I would imagine so he is most likely in that tiny minority that pays the highest percentage in taxes of anyone in the country.

I considered tweeting him that article when I read it but I really didnt want to hear another tax rant so I didnt.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Adam is somewhere in that 400k- 2 million range I would imagine so he is most likely in that tiny minority that pays the highest percentage in taxes of anyone in the country.

Yeah, I actually don't mind his rants on that because he's in that range that doles out the most out of anyone. He isn't rich enough to make his income through investments (and thus a lower tax rate) but makes enough to get into that top bracket. His biggest rant seems to be against those who claim he's not paying his fair share, which I think is fair considering he pays 50%.

I'm not with him on most political stuff, but I do agree with some. The crap about building permits is spot-on for anyone who has had to deal with that stuff. And he is right that California taxed all the studios out of filming in their state.

I do miss the old Loveline type calls. Not sure if they can ever fully rekindle that magic, but the call screeners are terrible on the new show. They need to get some people on who they can make fun of a bit. Too many sycophants without real problems who just want to tell Adam and Drew how much they love them.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
Nice OP! I was a little disappointed with the Dana Gould episode the other day because we didn't get to hear Crappin' Batman. Also there were some weird silences when Dana would say something that's way far out of Adam's worldview politically, and Adam respected him enough/thought he would get shot down by an intelligent guy and didn't fire into a rant.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

What Fun posted:

Nice OP! I was a little disappointed with the Dana Gould episode the other day because we didn't get to hear Crappin' Batman. Also there were some weird silences when Dana would say something that's way far out of Adam's worldview politically, and Adam respected him enough/thought he would get shot down by an intelligent guy and didn't fire into a rant.

I also appreciated that Adam clearly respects Dana. Dana is amazing on his own podcast, Adams, or any other and Adam seems to agree that Dana is a genuinely talented and motivated guy. It wasn't as funny as some past Dana episodes but it was still pretty good.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

If you haven't yet check out the one with Dana Gould and Greg Fitzsimmons, those two were both great and it was hilarious to hear Dana Gould crack Fitzsimmons' poo poo up. It's an awesome thing when comedians can make each other convulse with laughter https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_id3GPmr0c

There was a good run of guests this week. I got really excited when I saw Tracy Morgan's name, but it turns out it was just a call in. I really hope they get that guy in the studio sometime.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

If you haven't yet check out the one with Dana Gould and Greg Fitzsimmons, those two were both great and it was hilarious to hear Dana Gould crack Fitzsimmons' poo poo up. It's an awesome thing when comedians can make each other convulse with laughter https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_id3GPmr0c

There was a good run of guests this week. I got really excited when I saw Tracy Morgan's name, but it turns out it was just a call in. I really hope they get that guy in the studio sometime.

I had never heard any interviews or anything with Tracey Morgan before so it was nice to get confirmation that yes, he is just as crazy as he seems.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Thanks for the info, looking forward to the Greg Fitzsimmons one, he is usually great on podcasts.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Good grief, Bald Bryan has the worst taste in movies.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

ultraviolence123 posted:

Good grief, Bald Bryan has the worst taste in movies.

Do you watch the film vault? It serves to confirm this in spades. Also he is anti funny, like darkness is the absence of light. I really wish it was just Anderson and Logan. They're the only reason I keep listening.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Do you watch the film vault? It serves to confirm this in spades. Also he is anti funny, like darkness is the absence of light. I really wish it was just Anderson and Logan. They're the only reason I keep listening.

I can't listen to that show, too much Bryan. I really like Anderson, back when the show was on Adam's network, he would recommend a lot of really interesting movies that I never knew about. But too much Bryan and his preteen movie opinions. Every time they play the Baldywood theme, I know it's going to be a mindbogglingly bad BB review. I can understand people not liking Star Trek Into Darkness, but then to say that GI Joe 2 is his favorite summer movie so far... :bang:

Pilot Jim
Aug 23, 2007
I thought it seemed odd the other day on the show when somebody told Adam that the LOGO channel was playing Crank Yankers, and I think I have confirmed he was being trolled. LOGO does in fact have a puppet show all their own, but the puppets are reenacting taped therapy sessions with gay couples. I really hope the guy who tweeted it to Adam knew, but its pretty easy to see how you might mistake it for Crank Yankers if you just saw a muted ad or something.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

ultraviolence123 posted:

I can't listen to that show, too much Bryan. I really like Anderson, back when the show was on Adam's network, he would recommend a lot of really interesting movies that I never knew about. But too much Bryan and his preteen movie opinions. Every time they play the Baldywood theme, I know it's going to be a mindbogglingly bad BB review. I can understand people not liking Star Trek Into Darkness, but then to say that GI Joe 2 is his favorite summer movie so far... :bang:
It makes me wonder if he's just being a contrarian. I know a part of their thing on the Film Vault was he and Anderson disagreed on a lot of things, but I haven't listened to it in a while, does he usually take weird stances on movies? His reviews so far have felt a lot like a Carolla "review" where he nitpicks a couple things and just blows them way out of proportion.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I can't believe they are letting him do movie reviews on the main show. They are horrible. Gives absolutely nothing with substance in it, it's like asking my Mom what she thought of a movie.

"Uhhh so the movie was good, but not great. The beginning was really good, then the middle was OK, and then the ending was good. I wouldn't say it was great though, but if you like good movies, you'll like this movie. The lead actor was good in it and the supporting actor was good too."

I think Adam is great in the right situation. Allison is a bad fit though, and Bryan is just not funny. I really hope the Adam & Drew show picks up and they start producing more of them. They just need a better call screener.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Niwrad posted:

I think Adam is great in the right situation. Allison is a bad fit though, and Bryan is just not funny. I really hope the Adam & Drew show picks up and they start producing more of them. They just need a better call screener.

They need a better Adam screener. Drew isn't willing to do it in this context, evidently.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
So, a while ago Dr Drew talked to Tan Mom on his podcast on the network and it was a terrible idea because the lady is insane. How insane?

She made a music video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jRc3BMhE5c

During the interview you could just really tell that the entire thing was hosed from the start because she doesn't know how to talk to other human beings

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I have an initial adverse reaction but I love those interviews (Lohan was the other one I remember)--they don't exist anywhere else. Broken people are usually broken for reasons and Dr. Drew's compassionate, slow interview where they get their guard down is a great window into their strange brains and lives. They're almost like short audio documentaries.

edit: As a mostly-fan of Dr. Drew, it is really hard to listen to him pimp Lumosity and "the science of neuroplasticity". It's harder than his patients' suicides and the Wellbutrin thing.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 28, 2013

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

Niwrad posted:

Allisons show is usually quite good (except for dumb stuff like Itunes quote of the week or whatever its called) but man, she really doesnt fit on Adams show. Shes talented, but you can tell she doesnt like yes anding his nuttier rants like Theresa did.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I thought Adam talking about the horrible Pat Benetar song was hilarious.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Niwrad posted:

I thought Adam talking about the horrible Pat Benetar song was hilarious.

This is the part of the song where I'm running in place, throwing karate kicks in the air.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Lot of punches, a lot of front ball kicks, some side kicks, some spinning heel kicks.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

I want to see Dr. Drew armwrestle this Dr. Life guy.

I've been skipping some of the Adam and Drew shows, but the ones with guests continue to be great. Jimmy Pardo is a guy I haven't heard on someone else's podcast in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Dr Life was a terrible guest. Boring as gently caress blowhard.