Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megadrive
Sep 6, 2011

Finished up an hour or so and had a pretty fun time. We went to the smaller park which didn't have much in the way of anything really. Went over a few obstacles and got some confidence up, which was pretty cool. We went to a more popular one and watched some guys skate around the bowls and man, there's some talented skaters out there. Rolled around some hills on there, attempted some shuvits and ollies then called it a day. I'm so bad at ollies still but I'm sure I'll eventually get it. A good day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cosmos
Jan 8, 2006

All that is or was or ever will be
I used to skate back in middle school and high school and sort of off and on until about 6 years ago when I stopped completely. I had my board sitting in the trunk of my car for about 4 years always thinking that I would pick it back up again one day but I never did. I just moved into a house a couple of weeks ago so I actually have a driveway and a parking lot with smooth concrete about 100 yards from my house so I grabbed my board a few days ago and started skating again.

I found out pretty quick that sitting in an office chair all day every day for 6 years makes your legs weak as gently caress. I got my balance back pretty quick and could ride around fine but ollies were almost impossible for a few days until my legs strengthened up a bit. My calves would be on fire after about 5 minutes of skating and my feet would hurt so bad I could barely walk when I was done.

I've been working on nothing but Ollies for the past 3 days and can finally land them consistently again and better than I used to. It feels amazing. I still can't jump very high due to being pretty out of shape but I have the motion down consistently. After I get a little better at Ollies I'm going to move on to pop shuv-its and then hopefully kickflips which I've never been able to land in my life! I haven't had this much fun and felt so good about doing something in my life and it feels so good to make that little bit of progress day by day.

The only problem is I live in South Texas so it's hot and humid as hell outside 24/7 but I don't care, I'm skating anyway!

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

Cosmos posted:

I used to skate back in middle school and high school and sort of off and on until about 6 years ago when I stopped completely. I had my board sitting in the trunk of my car for about 4 years always thinking that I would pick it back up again one day but I never did. I just moved into a house a couple of weeks ago so I actually have a driveway and a parking lot with smooth concrete about 100 yards from my house so I grabbed my board a few days ago and started skating again.

I found out pretty quick that sitting in an office chair all day every day for 6 years makes your legs weak as gently caress. I got my balance back pretty quick and could ride around fine but ollies were almost impossible for a few days until my legs strengthened up a bit. My calves would be on fire after about 5 minutes of skating and my feet would hurt so bad I could barely walk when I was done.

I've been working on nothing but Ollies for the past 3 days and can finally land them consistently again and better than I used to. It feels amazing. I still can't jump very high due to being pretty out of shape but I have the motion down consistently. After I get a little better at Ollies I'm going to move on to pop shuv-its and then hopefully kickflips which I've never been able to land in my life! I haven't had this much fun and felt so good about doing something in my life and it feels so good to make that little bit of progress day by day.

The only problem is I live in South Texas so it's hot and humid as hell outside 24/7 but I don't care, I'm skating anyway!

I loving love these posts. Keep it up homie. Summer is going to be gnarly but it'll be with it.

ApocalypseMeow
Mar 4, 2008

I love the smell of Catnip in the morning....Smells like Victory.

Cosmos posted:

I haven't had this much fun and felt so good about doing something in my life and it feels so good to make that little bit of progress day by day.

I know the feeling man, I could still ollie the first time out but my legs were on fire after each one and everything from my toes up was aching just from Ollieing up curbs and pushing around.
Managed to pull my calf just pushing around on Saturday too but I did manage some sweet slappy noseslides before that, felt awesome.

I hate my job and I'm bored of sitting around playing video games all weekend, getting back on my board has been the best thing for me mentally

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

ApocalypseMeow posted:

I hate my job and I'm bored of sitting around playing video games all weekend, getting back on my board has been the best thing for me mentally

So true! This is exactly what made me get up and get back into it.

Picked up a new setup this weekend from a local shop. http://www.rawnewengland.com/
Also taught my 12 year old a nice lesson on shopping from a local shops and how the skate vibe is in Boston.
I get all my stuff together and the guy working throws a t-shirt in the bag, and then says to my son, hey, let me flow you a hat, buddy. ;)

When we left my son was like "What just happened? Why did he give us free stuff?" He's so used to shopping at chain stores. Felt good.

When I got out there this weekend, I could barely do anything. Then, after an hour or so I had my ollies back, as well as manuals, shove-its, etc. So stoked.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Yeee show that kid to support the local shops that deserve it! I wish I had some nice local shops :( There are a few decent skate shops in neighboring towns, including the only longboarding-focused shop on Long Island, but they don't carry any decks I'd want and I haven't bought anything new since they've been there. Goddamn I wanna pick up some fresh gear and start skating again

El Jorge
Feb 26, 2006

A spiritus dominatus,
Domine, libra nos,
From the lighting and the tempest,
Our Emperor, deliver us.

A morte perpetua,
Domine, libra nos.
Walking up to my friend's apartment yesterday, I found a basically new Toy Machine Billy Marks deck propped up against the curb with a note saying that it was free. Said friend had just borrowed a complete setup from someone and is one of the people I grew up skating with throughout middle and high school. Toy Machine was always my favorite growing up too and I happened to be wearing an old pair of skate shoes that rarely make it out of the closet. It was obviously the act of a Skate God that brought it all to be. I can't wait to start again, my ankles are rolling themselves in preparation. Stooooooooooooooked.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
I'm starting to feel somewhat comfortable riding around parking lots but when I try to ride on the sidewalks I feel pretty useless. The sidewalks around my house are all pretty narrow so if I don't start out completely strait I feel like I'm about to run into the cars or off the pavement before I have time to really adjust. I see kids skating here all the time so I feel like there has to be something I'm missing.

Also, I'm going to head to the local skate shop and pick up some shoes to skate in. Is there anything I should be looking for/avoid in a pair of skate shoes? I'm pretty broke too so if anyone has recommendations for cheap shoes that would be cool too.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Just get something with a flat sole. Amount of padding and how stiff the sole is is all personal preference.

ApocalypseMeow
Mar 4, 2008

dokomoy posted:

Also, I'm going to head to the local skate shop and pick up some shoes to skate in. Is there anything I should be looking for/avoid in a pair of skate shoes? I'm pretty broke too so if anyone has recommendations for cheap shoes that would be cool too.

Sometimes in TK Maxx you can find skate shoes for cheap, got a nice pair of Globes and a pair of Duffs for £40 total a few months back :)

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
All you guys getting on boards for the first time in a while are awesome! I was in your position about 4-5 years ago, keep at it. Skating is its own reward. Even if you don't feel like skating you'll always be glad you did afterwards. It's like...about the journey...man.

I was involved in setting up a contest at a local key holder bowl. I thought I would pass on a cool edit from it. It was so pure skateboarding legit that it hurt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PZ_914x6yA

:ssh:It was so rad we had folks like Chet Childress, Justin Brock, Clyde Singleton and Richard Kirby hanging out.

ApocalypseMeow
Mar 4, 2008

My calf is better, went out to this tiny little concrete park and had an awesome time rolling about and even managed to kickflip again :black101:

For some inspiration I've got my part from the skate video we made when we were 15-16, about 3 years before I stopped but it's the only footage I've got lefft

http://youtu.be/j-yZJKsG0SI

ApocalypseMeow fucked around with this message at 12:05 on May 12, 2013

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
yesterday i remembered like in 98 or 99 or something there was a transworld cover of danny montoya doing a nollie heel noseslide down a rail and i thought 'well it's not getting any crazier than this'. how times change. post your favorite depressed because kids are too good story itt

edit: here's a dope danny montoya part. dude kills it. the reason is one of the best videos ever https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Cyf2OnFSBQ

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 09:16 on May 23, 2013

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

maffew buildings posted:

yesterday i remembered like in 98 or 99 or something there was a transworld cover of danny montoya doing a nollie heel noseslide down a rail and i thought 'well it's not getting any crazier than this'. how times change. post your favorite depressed because kids are too good story itt

edit: here's a dope danny montoya part. dude kills it. the reason is one of the best videos ever https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Cyf2OnFSBQ

There's an 11-year old that goes to my local park who can hardflip the 6 stair there on command. He's like Andrew Reynolds Jr. Everyone there can churn out 360 flips but me.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Kids these days...
What I see as difficult they see as normal. It's that relative normalcy that drives the progression and makes little kids into extreme rippers.

:corsair: Let me tell you about when I first learned about this thing called a "Kick Flip". It was the day after 4th of July in the late 80's and we were probably skating in the street doing street plants/inverts and going off launch ramps when one of my friends who had been skating around at the fireworks show the night before told me that he ran into another skater from New York named Rex (yes, I remember his name) and he showed them the Kick Flip. When I first heard the term I couldn't understand how that would even work. I just had no idea. What was kicking the board going to do? Now of course the kick flip is to modern skaters what the ollie was to us in the 80's. The relativity of progression is just so...unfair/interesting?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I never landed a real kickflip. I could do shuvits, ollie over/onto stuff and a few other gimmick tricks. A few weeks ago I landed one on a board that didn't have wheels, on grass. Felt proud of myself.

loving kids

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

when i started skating in the late 90s i had no idea what a no comply or a boneless was, now i am trying to learn them because i am almost 30 and that i will never hardflip nosegrind a ledge so i'm going to learn old man tricks. by this time next year i'll probably be super into vert or something

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

brian anderson left girl. between AVE and dill leaving workshop and this i don't know what to think anymore

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Keep skating and don't worry about the celebrities?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

yeah you're right it is pretty unacceptable that i read news about skaters who i have enjoyed watching the skating of for many years. time to go get a cruiser board and attend junior college!

ozzy8bats
Jul 31, 2012
Hey guys, I've been working on my ollie for about a solid year now and still can't land it. I was wondering if you guys could send me to a good vid or just some advice that might help. Anything, really. I'm dying out here.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Do it better.

What's the problem? Trying to make my motions more fluid and cohesive, instead of thinking about it as step 1 pop tail, step 2 blah blah blah, helped me a lot.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

ozzy8bats posted:

Hey guys, I've been working on my ollie for about a solid year now and still can't land it. I was wondering if you guys could send me to a good vid or just some advice that might help. Anything, really. I'm dying out here.

Don't over think it. Don't practice standing still. Practice moving at a decent clip for stability. Have an object to jump over like a garden hose or rope. Don't be a bitch and fall a few times if needed. You'll get it dude. Just pop, scoop, jump, and land bolts.

ozzy8bats
Jul 31, 2012

XIII posted:

Do it better.

What's the problem? Trying to make my motions more fluid and cohesive, instead of thinking about it as step 1 pop tail, step 2 blah blah blah, helped me a lot.

Rolling out I think is the biggest thing. I can land two feet (sometimes) then just fall on my rear end as the board shoots out.

donJonSwan posted:

Don't over think it. Don't practice standing still. Practice moving at a decent clip for stability. Have an object to jump over like a garden hose or rope. Don't be a bitch and fall a few times if needed. You'll get it dude. Just pop, scoop, jump, and land bolts.

Haha, that's a pretty good idea.
Thanks guys.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

ozzy8bats posted:

This guy does the most detailed trick tutorials I've seen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTp5_jSPJE4&list=PLDDFF27D889D57808

A lot of the time I see dudes having trouble with ollies because their upper body orientation is all whacked out. Make sure to keep your shoulders as parallel to the board as possible.

ozzy8bats
Jul 31, 2012

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

This guy does the most detailed trick tutorials I've seen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTp5_jSPJE4&list=PLDDFF27D889D57808

A lot of the time I see dudes having trouble with ollies because their upper body orientation is all whacked out. Make sure to keep your shoulders as parallel to the board as possible.

That's pretty good, thanks man.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

maffew buildings posted:

yeah you're right it is pretty unacceptable that i read news about skaters who i have enjoyed watching the skating of for many years. time to go get a cruiser board and attend junior college!

It's memorial day weekend, you and that cruiser should be at a hippie festival

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

Wow. Sounds like you should actually skate and work out some issues!

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

yeah dude once i find the right longboard it's on, i want those stickers to be just right so when i turn it's like 'woahhhhhh!'

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Just pulled out the deck I have been carrying around for 9 years from high school. Messed around for 30 min on it. My take away was I can still Ollie (up and down a six inch stair- one set rep it) and I could almost kick flip. Living in Denver there are parks all over. I think I am going to get a helmet and hit some up. Growing up you had to drive to and pay for the skate park. We built all our own rails and boxes and even a quarter pipe.

I would lose horrendously at a game of skate right now though...

ElephantCrave
Jan 28, 2013
What do people think about those little cruiser boards such as the penny vinyl? I am wondering because I adore my street board but here in the UK it is not that good for transport, I don't want to be carrying a long board around with me and the large wheels little board shenanigans look like a smooth ride.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Buy a Landyachtz Dinghy instead

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
So... at the tender age of 31 I have decided it is time to start breaking my arms. I haven't had a skateboard since I was like 10, and even then I never really learned how to ride it.

Have been going at it a week or so, can now generally skate 100m or so without having to step off the board and start again, fairly confident carving on flat surfaces and now working on getting my kickturns down. Far too often I either have to step off or plant the tail when trying even little kickturns. le sigh.

In a year will I be posting here talking about sick 3flips and the handplants I been doing at the skatepark? ONLY TIME WILL TELL

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Naw. You will have a strong and healthy core and a nice tan though.

Just have fun and don't worry about tricks. No flip trick in the world can make me smile like when I'm carving a bowl.

That's just my opinion though. If you focus on yer flips hardcore I'm sure in a year you'll be impressed with your progress.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

ElephantCrave posted:

What do people think about those little cruiser boards such as the penny vinyl? I am wondering because I adore my street board but here in the UK it is not that good for transport, I don't want to be carrying a long board around with me and the large wheels little board shenanigans look like a smooth ride.
I ride my penny more than my street board, it's just the funnest thing.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I also ride my Stereo (same as a Penny) more than my normal board. That said, I need to ride more.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

donJonSwan posted:

Naw. You will have a strong and healthy core and a nice tan though.

Just have fun and don't worry about tricks. No flip trick in the world can make me smile like when I'm carving a bowl.

That's just my opinion though. If you focus on yer flips hardcore I'm sure in a year you'll be impressed with your progress.

Carving bowl is super fun. It's like a hill that never ends! We just got this 13 footer (in the shallow end!!) kidney bean built for the city last summer and I'm trying to grow the balls to ride it. I went one afternoon and realized that you can't skate it alone - if something like a break or bad sprain happened it would be impossible to get out by yourself and it seems far enough from the park that no one would hear you shout.

I find, too, that I prefer the crowd. A lot of older types my age who are generally a pretty chill bunch. Not to say that longboarders and skaters aren't chill but hanging at the bowl comes closest to that chilling on a patio with good friends feeling.

maffew buildings posted:

yeah dude once i find the right longboard it's on, i want those stickers to be just right so when i turn it's like 'woahhhhhh!'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSwQpgRpJKo

Megadrive
Sep 6, 2011

ElephantCrave posted:

I love my Globe Bantam. Though since I stopped working in the city I've stopped riding it as much, I will never sell it. Cruisers are great boards and I don't get the hate they sometimes get.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
This is skateboarding
http://vimeo.com/68390382

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Menorah on Fire
Aug 20, 2006

Horizontal Tree posted:

This is skateboarding
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmx-CDUo-8w
28 mins :whatup:

I miss the days before we had genetically-engineered perfection :sigh:

e:
In other news, I've been dicking around on cruisers for the last 4 years and hadn't set foot on a real deck since I was 15ish (23 now).

Building a new deck for the summer, figured I'd grab an 8" minilogo or shop deck and slap on some indy 129's or 139's.

Any advice on trucks/wheels? I've been spoiled on 65mm 78a's for a while now, trying to take a step back down without killing myself on cracks I'd normally ignore.

Menorah on Fire fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 15, 2013