Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
$3 million is only $1.15 a record if he really has 1 million records and 1.6 million singles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Just picked up this little haul between two second hand shops and eBay over the last week (and now I'll be eating noodles until June..!). Apologies for the picture, but they are:

Strawbs — Bursting At The Seams (1973)
Dire Straits — Love Over Gold (1982)
Dire Straits — Making Movies (1980)
Strawbs — Nomadness (1975)
Strawbs — Hero And Heroine (1974)
Ralph McTell — Ralph McTell Revisited (1970)

The two Dire Straits LPs and Bursting At The Seams were a snip at £10 for the three, and there was a good reason for that — they were disgusting. A careful wash in warm soapy water with a sable-hair brush, a thorough rinse with soft water and a day's drying they played much, much better, so I'm pretty pleased.

My mother is amused that my copy of Hero And Heroine plays better than hers does! I think I wore out her copy when I was growing up...

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Good news: in my wife's little collection of vinyl we have the "red eyes" edition of "Cheshire Cat" by Blink 182! Bad news: neither of us are fans so we don't really care!

In better news, there was the yellow/brown vinyl of "Vampire on Titus" by Guided by Voices in there too, and she let me have it. She seems somewhat pleased that she has "Oblivion" by Utopia but I will have to withhold comment until I have been sat on the sofa and made to listen to it.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

bowmore posted:

$3 million is only $1.15 a record if he really has 1 million records and 1.6 million singles.

Apparently since the guy owned a record store there's a stupid amount of dupes.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Dupes was part of the point of Mawhinney's fever dream world's greatest collection BS. He ran it as an "archive" so they'd keep a bunch of multiples and never sell the final copy of anything. It's dumb as hell, and he's been trying to sell it to some chump forever and it's been picked through at least twice.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Here's a tour of Mark Taylor's record room. It's a little unnerving, only for the fact that he doesn't talk, but it is absolutely immaculate. He's one of the preeminent garage 45 collectors in the world. I think the Unissued Sixties Garage Acetates Norton series is partially based off this collection.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSQVbKHrKQM

Chill Callahan fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 24, 2013

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Chill Callahan posted:

Here's a tour of Mark Taylor's record room. It's a little unnerving, only for the fact that he doesn't talk, but it is absolutely immaculate. He's one of the preeminent garage 45 collectors in the world. I think the Unissued Sixties Garage Acetates Norton series is partially based off this collection.

That man has stairs in his house.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
:balleur:

I remember a g45'ers video (probably Taylor/bosshoss) that showed a big chunk of their US collection filed by state of origin, just absolutely cool as hell.

e: this isn't the one i remember, but this is *just* TX poo poo. http://www.finerecordingstudio.com/posts/BotumlesPit2.mov

JehovahsWetness fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 24, 2013

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Question on storing. I bought a Ikea Expedit 5x5 which is their largest one. Now, I live in an apartment and the wall I want to put this by is a painted cinderblock wall. There is some fastners for the wall included so I could use a hammer-drill but that might eat my deposit if they get mad (easy to patch tho, gf's dad is a contractor). Is it recommended at this point to just put all the records on the bottom to keep the weight down?

Here are the shelves in questions:

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/60208648/

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
I have a 5x5 full. For what it's worth I wouldn't trust it not fixed to my wall.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Vintersorg posted:

5x5 Expedit

I would fasten it to the wall- or at least find a way to brace it. There have been enough horror stories floating around about the larger (4x4/5x5) models collapsing onto some poor sod's collection for me to suggest that people take precaution, even if the probability of something bad happening is relatively small.

The issue with the Expedit is that all of the models are basically put together in the same way, with the same fasteners- which might be fine for a 2x2/2x4. When you start getting into the bigger ones and loading them down with lots of records, it results in joints that are under significantly more strain and a piece of furniture that is much more unstable and prone to buckling than its smaller brethren.

If you don't want to damage your wall, my suggestion is to screw a 2x4 or two to the back of the Expedit, running the whole height of the unit. Make sure to use two screws at each end, so the brace doesn't simply fall with the frame if it collapses. I think this is results in a much stronger brace with less headache than wall-mounting anyway.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ah, I like that idea of getting some 2x4's to strengthen the fastners. Thanks! :)

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
For what it's worth, I've got a loaded 4x4 unfastened and it has stayed that way for 4+ years. The problem with the collapsing ones that I've seen is that people built them wrong, with the long slats going vertical and the short ones horizontal. The opposite is much more structurally sound.

The 2x4 bracing is a good idea though, just to be safe.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

I wouldn't get one of the 5x5 expedits unless I was filling the entire thing with records, and then I would be a bit worried. Granted, I hacked two 4x2 and two 2x2 expedits into a standing desk and that thing has been pretty awesome for about a year, even with me leaning on it and it holding a 27" imac and a 24" monitor, plus another 22" monitor. They're pretty sturdy as long as you build them right and in my desk's case, fasten the parts together with good brackets. Even my 5x2 laying on it's side has been holding my 55" tv plus all my records in the cubbies pretty well for quite some time. They really are the bee's knees when it comes to simple and cheap furniture/storage.

I Might Be Adam fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 24, 2013

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Chill Callahan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSQVbKHrKQM

This is really loving creepy.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

CPL593H posted:

He must have intended it to seem like some huge amazing breathtaking reveal when he slowly opens the door, but yeah instead it's just creepy. Like, "some guy broke into my house while I was asleep and videotaped my record collection" creepy. He could have said SOMETHING, just some kind of basic explanation of what's going on, or even added some music or anything...

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 25, 2013

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

He must have intended it to seem like some huge amazing breathtaking reveal when he slowly opens the door, but yeah instead it's just creepy. Like, "some guy broke into my house while I was asleep and videotaped my record collection" creepy.

Well there's also something about the fact that his whole house looks like a museum instead of place where someone lives. And all that expensive equipment to me makes it seem like he doesn't enjoy the music for the music's sake. But yeah the way the describe the way it's shot is exactly what I find most unsettling.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

CPL593H posted:

Was that a loving elevator on the ground floor?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Bliggers- posted:

Was that a loving elevator on the ground floor?

Yeah, it's pretty obvious that this guy's loving loaded. Which makes it kind of hilarious that his house has that awful brown carpet that looks like it's from the 70s.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
That video reminds me of watching V/H/S.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

CPL593H posted:

And all that expensive equipment to me makes it seem like he doesn't enjoy the music for the music's sake.

Seriously, you guys say some of the dumbest poo poo sometimes. An Australian who's probably done more to help document/uncover US 45s than anyone in decades and has probably the best standing collection of American garage can't possibly be in it for the enjoyment of the music.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

JehovahsWetness posted:

Seriously, you guys say some of the dumbest poo poo sometimes. An Australian who's probably done more to help document/uncover US 45s than anyone in decades and has probably the best standing collection of American garage can't possibly be in it for the enjoyment of the music.

What I'm saying is he seems more obsessed with having expensive poo poo and owning a bunch of stuff no one else gets to to have. I fully admit that I'm likely wrong about it, but that's not how the video comes off. Especially as he doesn't actually bother to talk about the music or share any kind of interesting insight. He's just going "Hey look at what I got!".

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

CPL593H posted:

What I'm saying is he seems more obsessed with having expensive poo poo and owning a bunch of stuff no one else gets to to have. I fully admit that I'm likely wrong about it, but that's not how the video comes off. Especially as he doesn't actually bother to talk about the music or share any kind of interesting insight. He's just going "Hey look at what I got!".

He's sourced a ton of stuff for various comps, maintains the g45 list, and is thanked in like three different books I own for his contributions. He's probably personally responsible for a lot of the stuff on the norton comps and teen beat mayhem stuff that people *wouldn't otherwise* get to hear. He's very much out there and known as far as record barons go.

I'm not defending his silent murder lair basement or anything, but cmon man.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

JehovahsWetness posted:

He's sourced a ton of stuff for various comps, maintains the g45 list, and is thanked in like three different books I own for his contributions. He's probably personally responsible for a lot of the stuff on the norton comps and teen beat mayhem stuff that people *wouldn't otherwise* get to hear. He's very much out there and known as far as record barons go.

I'm not defending his silent murder lair basement or anything, but cmon man.

See I knew none of that. My only context on this guy was his creepy sex offender record fetish video. So I think it's understandable why I came away with the impression that I did.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
I feel we've all learned a valuable lesson about record dungeons and first impressions.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

JehovahsWetness posted:

I feel we've all learned a valuable lesson about record dungeons and first impressions.

Well I did actually take something away from those two videos that were posted. A lot of times I wonder if I'm getting obsessed with records or if I'm spending too much money on this stuff. But then I find out about things like the Surf Rock Sex Dungeon or the World's Largest Dollar Bin hosted by Uncle Touchy and I realize that I'm doing just fine.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
See also but not only:
dat stare :stare:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I just figured the guy might have a sense of humor when he's slowly creeping into his own record vault.

The strangest thing to me was how his turntable isn't in the same room. Seems like a pain but maybe a boring empty space has better anal acoustics.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
Are there any rumors about when the Beatles mono box set will be coming out? As a guy who owns zero Beatles albums - and who's (a) heard all the chatter about how the stereo pressing was hosed up and (b) always heard that the mono versions are the best-sounding versions of any given Beatles album - this is a product I would eagerly purchase; I just have no idea when it's going to come out.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

trdn89 posted:

Are there any rumors about when the Beatles mono box set will be coming out? As a guy who owns zero Beatles albums - and who's (a) heard all the chatter about how the stereo pressing was hosed up and (b) always heard that the mono versions are the best-sounding versions of any given Beatles album - this is a product I would eagerly purchase; I just have no idea when it's going to come out.

Abbey Road and Let It Be were never mixed in mono so you can just buy those when ever. Used copies of those are cheap and plentiful if you don't want to shell out 25-30 bucks or whatever inflated price the reissues go for. As an alternative the 2009 remaster CDs sounded fantastic and the mono box of those is readily available. As a matter of fact I'm pretty sure the reissue LPs come from the exact same masters. It's been discussed here whether or not they sound any better than those CDs did but I can't remember what the consensus was on that. I personally have no use for them because I have all the CDs and multiple copies of all the good albums on vinyl, so I can;t tell you anything about the reissues from personal experience.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
[url] http://equalizermag.com/news/vinyl-purist-identified-as-primary-suspect-in-slaying-of-22-year-old-traktor-dj/[/url]

I think this is what people are thinking when they see creepy vinyl dungeons

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

Abbey Road and Let It Be were never mixed in mono so you can just buy those when ever. Used copies of those are cheap and plentiful if you don't want to shell out 25-30 bucks or whatever inflated price the reissues go for. As an alternative the 2009 remaster CDs sounded fantastic and the mono box of those is readily available. As a matter of fact I'm pretty sure the reissue LPs come from the exact same masters. It's been discussed here whether or not they sound any better than those CDs did but I can't remember what the consensus was on that. I personally have no use for them because I have all the CDs and multiple copies of all the good albums on vinyl, so I can;t tell you anything about the reissues from personal experience.

I have the White Album and Abby Road, and those albums sound really good. The pressings were pretty good and really quiet, and except for putting the flaps on the side in the White Album and not numbering it (oh God, what have I become), they got it pretty good.

Just to correct one thing: they are not the same masters as the CD version. If I remember correctly, they are from the same digital transfers, but I think they started a step before all the work they did on the CD versions so they had something fresh to work with in terms of making it sound good on vinyl. You know, dealing with stuff like sibilence.

But yeah, there's no clear-cut date for the mono issues. It's hard to say if it is just a rumor, or if it is something that will definitely be done. I really hope it's done because honestly, all the albums up through the White Album should be heard in mono anyway.

screaden posted:

[url] http://equalizermag.com/news/vinyl-purist-identified-as-primary-suspect-in-slaying-of-22-year-old-traktor-dj/[/url]

I think this is what people are thinking when they see creepy vinyl dungeons

He's not even that good of a purist! A real purist wouldn't get somebody's blood on a turntable. That would totally gently caress up the needle, and what if there was a record on there?

The most shocking part of that article to me is when a club-goer said he wasn't surprised that somebody murdered the DJ. I mean, the guy just put on a bad set. That's not worth killing anyone over. The killer is obviously mentally ill, but I would hope that the average club-goer isn't.

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 14:00 on May 25, 2013

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Can someone explain to the uninformed why mono is better than stereo? My dad got me the stereo set last christmas and I think it sounds pretty great, am I missing out on a lot by not having mono?

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Can someone explain to the uninformed why mono is better than stereo? My dad got me the stereo set last christmas and I think it sounds pretty great, am I missing out on a lot by not having mono?

The stereo separation is really harsh. Vocals in the left channel only, lead guitar in the right channel only, etc. Priority was given to the mono mixes.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Mono is not always better than stereo, but in those earliest days, the majority of stereo mixes were "Well, we'll just put the rhythm tracks in this speaker and the backing vocal tracks over here and then the lead vocal WILL BOUNCE BACK AND FORTH BETWEEN TWO SPEAKERS AREN'T WE loving CLEVER." (Sorry, I had some 60s stuff in stereo on my mp3 player at work the other day and I'm still annoyed.) It's specifically a wider gap when dealing with The Beatles' material since the band generally left the studio after the mono mix was completed, leaving it to George Martin and company to figure out a stereo mix.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Well, plain and simple, they tend to be the better mix. The drums are more forward, the bass has more presence, and the whole thing just sounds more cohesive than it does in stereo. Listen to Paperback Writer, and hear how heavy it sounds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JTyGdhJ578. Compare that to the stereo, where the the left channel has most of the music, the right speaker has the bass and backing vocals, and the lead vocals are the only thing that are centered. It just sounds a lot weaker because your sound is just less coherent. And in my opinion, the mono mixes actually have aged a lot better than the stereo mixes.

Part of that was the technology. First off, they were using four track tapes. Track one could be the rhythm tracks, track two could be the lead instruments, and track 3 could be the vocals, and track 4 could be double-track vocals or any overdubs you need to do. Already, you can see how mixing this could be hard. A lot of the tape machines too were hard-wired back in those days, so whatever was on track one might always be pushed hard left, no questions asked. They really didn't have the ability to push stuff halfway to the left.

Then by the point you get to the late 60s, they were doing a lot of bouncing down, and this can lead to further issues on the mix. Basically, when you bounce, you are stuck with whatever is on that last tape. So while you might basically be working with 8 or more tracks, you still only have 4 at the end. And if you don't bounce down with stereo in mind, you could end up with something like Penny Lane, where everything is mono except for one or two instruments.

Then you got physical hardware considerations. Stereo record players weren't that good at tracking bass yet, especially when it was pushed off to one side, so you had to cut the bass frequencies. Bob Dylan's "Sooner or Later (One of us Must Know)" in mono ends cold, where as in stereo, it has to fade out early because at the end of a side, a loud ending like that wouldn't sound good on those stereo phonographs. Then there's other things too. Compressors would work differently in mono and stereo. So you could get a much hotter sound that was what the mixers wanted in mono, where as in stereo, you really couldn't just because the drums, the most dynamic part of the mix, tended to be pushed to one side.

Also, they made their stereo mixes to sound good on mono players too. A lot of players became mono-compatible stereo, which would allow people without that functionality to still listen to music. That's why Rubber Soul is mixed with the vocals in one speaker and the music in the other. George Martin was trying to find a way to make a stereo mix that would sound good when summed to mono.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Anybody who was really into VAST in middle or high school might be interested to know that they finally got around to issuing their first album on vinyl, although they're kind of pricy. Seems like they're down to the last hundred copies.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I recently upgraded from an audio technica lp60 (non-USB) to a project debut 3 with a TCC TC750 preamp, and i'm really, really liking the project table. Listening to the first Sabbath record I swear I'm hearing things I've never heard before.

Anyway, i wasn't able to skim the past 100 pages or so, but I'm wondering what people recommend as a cartridge upgrade, and also how difficult the substitution is? The wires going to the cartridge look awful delicate.

I'm probably stupid, but balancing the tonearm on the project was a bitch and a half for me.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

jwh posted:

I recently upgraded from an audio technica lp60 (non-USB) to a project debut 3 with a TCC TC750 preamp, and i'm really, really liking the project table. Listening to the first Sabbath record I swear I'm hearing things I've never heard before.

Anyway, i wasn't able to skim the past 100 pages or so, but I'm wondering what people recommend as a cartridge upgrade, and also how difficult the substitution is? The wires going to the cartridge look awful delicate.

I'm probably stupid, but balancing the tonearm on the project was a bitch and a half for me.

You might want to get some needle nose pliers to handle the headshell wires, I've broken a few by hamfisting them.

The first time I balanced my tonearm I had to gently caress with it for a while, but now I can do it really quickly. I actually bought a little stylus pressure gage because I was confident that I hadn't done it right and it turns out that I had :shobon:

On another note I bought Silence Yourself by Savages today and it's pretty fantastic. It came on clear vinyl too if you care about that kind of stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Here's an interesting article about a guy who makes his own white-hot stampers.

Seriously though, it's about a man who re-releases classical music from the 50's and 60's on vinyl with excessive detail paid to the minutiae of the entire package.