Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knife super power
Nov 4, 2010

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Seeing Brock brutally injure a guy by beating him with his friend via butt connection will never leave my mind as one of the greatest things I have ever seen on a television.

I paused it once and the view was everything I had dreamed of. :allears:

The song that plays during that scene is titled "Assclamp!". Which makes perfect sense once you've seen it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

theflyingexecutive posted:

Really? That episode is one of the hardest to understand because you basically have to explain everyone's backstories to get their motivations.

Eh, it's the first episode I saw and it hooked me. There's a lot of really funny character-based humor in it that doesn't depend too much on motives such as Hank with the hand-dryer or anything with 21 and 24.

Assoonasitits
Dec 11, 2007

I guess frogout is too polite to simply say "begone".
This may sound stupid and/ or obvious, but Dia de los Dangerous! is a pretty good starting point. It's where I started, at least. That and the unaired pilot.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Assoonasitits posted:

This may sound stupid and/ or obvious, but Dia de los Dangerous! is a pretty good starting point. It's where I started, at least. That and the unaired pilot.

Same for me, but it doesn't really show the characters as well as the later season 1 episodes. I always use Ghost of the Sargasso or "Are you there God? It's me, Dean." as introductions.

"Are you there God? It's me, Dean." has the benefits of including the Monarch and showcasing the absolutely stupid codes the heroes and villians in that world have to deal with. Plus, balls are funny.

rats off to ya
Jul 22, 2008

How many eps will be in the new season?

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Safety Factor posted:

Same for me, but it doesn't really show the characters as well as the later season 1 episodes. I always use Ghost of the Sargasso or "Are you there God? It's me, Dean." as introductions.

"Are you there God? It's me, Dean." has the benefits of including the Monarch and showcasing the absolutely stupid codes the heroes and villians in that world have to deal with. Plus, balls are funny.

And it'll help educate them about Testicular Torsion! It isn't just something on TV. It's a real problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slobhI2HXhA

Edit: I watching episodes I haven't seen in forever and being reminded how great they are. Like, I forgot how wonderful the opening to Love-Bheits is. "Say hello to goodbye, Dr. Venture!"

RandallODim fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 24, 2013

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

It's "sic semper tyrannis", you just said "always faithful terrible lizard".

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm sad that the scrotalsafetycommission website is no longer up.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Entropic posted:

I'm sad that the scrotalsafetycommission website is no longer up.

Here you go
http://www.angelfire.com/oh/monkiehouse/scrotal_safety.html

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by
The best part of rewatching the older episodes is wondering if random characters could make a return in the upcoming season, and what kind of episode could be done with them. Will we ever see the return of Tiny Eagle? Manic 8-Ball? Joseph and his Amazing Technicolor Nightmare Coat? Maybe they'll defrost Ook-Ook, and explain how he got frozen in a block of ice to begin with. And with all of the musicians in the Guild, will the guy from Depeche Mode make an appearance?

That's the beauty of the Venture Bros' writing style, there's so many possibilities. They turned Captain Sunshine and Monstroso from clever names to use in tossed-off jokes, to major characters in some of season 4's best episodes.

Delaio
Jul 14, 2012

rats off to ya posted:

How many eps will be in the new season?

In one of the interviews posted in the last thread I saw the words "10 episode season". Which is kind of disappointing. Even with the intro episode being an hour and counting the Halloween episode, it's still shorter than the other seasons. That's the only place I've seen info though, so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Assoonasitits
Dec 11, 2007

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

The best part of rewatching the older episodes is wondering if random characters could make a return in the upcoming season, and what kind of episode could be done with them. Will we ever see the return of Tiny Eagle? Manic 8-Ball? Joseph and his Amazing Technicolor Nightmare Coat? Maybe they'll defrost Ook-Ook, and explain how he got frozen in a block of ice to begin with. And with all of the musicians in the Guild, will the guy from Depeche Mode make an appearance?

That's the beauty of the Venture Bros' writing style, there's so many possibilities. They turned Captain Sunshine and Monstroso from clever names to use in tossed-off jokes, to major characters in some of season 4's best episodes.

Not to mention the fact that Sgt. Hatred started out as a cool name for a dude with a hover-tank and not only is he now the (large-breasted) Venture bodyguard, but his hover-tank made an unforgettable appearance.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

They also have names for characters that they only bring up on commentary. I think it's in the commentary during the party at Hatred's that they point out a guy in the background apparently named Unicornelius who I don't think has ever been brought up in the actual show.

To go back to best first episodes, I really think Any/Every Which Way But Zeus is amazing. It really describes almost everything in the Venture-verse perfectly:
-The cold opening of Billy and White fighting during the kidnapping
-Brock and Hunter's "mournful tits" dialogue
-Rusty being a narcissist and terrible father for most of the episode
-Treister giving one of his absolutely incredible monologues
-Dragoon and Red Mantle ("You have no business here, no business!")
-The Guild and their methods ("Unless the loss of life thing happens, then we send your widow a jar of blood and a very nice card")
-The entire episode resolving itself without the council accomplishing anything at all

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

RandallODim posted:

And it'll help educate them about Testicular Torsion! It isn't just something on TV. It's a real problem.

Edit: I watching episodes I haven't seen in forever and being reminded how great they are. Like, I forgot how wonderful the opening to Love-Bheits is. "Say hello to goodbye, Dr. Venture!"

My sisters first real boyfriend got this and they don't do it justice at all in how bad it is and it cracks me up so badly every time I watch the episode as a result

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Assoonasitits posted:

That and the unaired pilot.

Unaired?

2/13/03 man.

I was there.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sash! posted:

Unaired?

2/13/03 man.

I was there.

I was in college and saw it on tv and then tried to describe what I saw to my roommate and he didn't believe me. He said, "Are you sure it wasn't Harvey Birdman?"

Then a year later I was in graduate school and I saw it again and I was filled with righteous vindication.

Delaio
Jul 14, 2012

For me, waiting for seasons 3-5 haven't been nearly as nerve wracking as the first year after season 1 finished. Not knowing if it was coming back, and thinking that one of my favorite new shows could end on that kind of cliffhanger was crazy.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Sash! posted:

Unaired?

2/13/03 man.

I was there.

I was too. Surely there are posts in the archive from the adult swim thread at the time? Someone with archives should post some choice quotes.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Fezz posted:

I was too. Surely there are posts in the archive from the adult swim thread at the time? Someone with archives should post some choice quotes.

The response was overwhelmingly positive, but this is by far my favorite:

clockworkjoe posted:

wow, a new show on adult swim that has a great first episode. I guess they'll never make another one

And here we are more than a decade later.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

That was back in the era of 29 shows that had one episode never to be seen again.

Although most were pretty awful so it worked out for us.

gently caress you groovenians

And now I just had a traumatic flashback to the Ripping Friends.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sash! posted:

That was back in the era of 29 shows that had one episode never to be seen again.

But also Welcome to Eltingville.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Eltingville was awful.

Now Korgoth of Barbaria on the other hand...

Edit: For the uninitiated:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoxMiZxN-F0

Pastry Mistakes fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 25, 2013

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Sash! posted:

Ripping friend's wasnt THAT bad...if you were like, 10 which I was at the time, I haven't tried watching it again but I'm sure I'd consider it crap now

edit-

So my hypothesis was true, ripping friends is infact crap when your older then like 10.

Renzuko fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 25, 2013

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Apeshit Sixfingers posted:

Eltingville was awful.

Eltingville made me reconsider the trajectory of my life when I realized that I knew the answers to all of the trivia questions in the showdown part of the episode. It was the first time I realized that maybe it was a bad thing that I was able to do that. I haven't looked back.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Renzuko posted:

Ripping friend's wasnt THAT bad...if you were like, 10 which I was at the time, I haven't tried watching it again but I'm sure I'd consider it crap now

edit-

So my hypothesis was true, ripping friends is infact crap when your older then like 10.

Yeah I was like 22 when that aired so

Ghost Hat
Jun 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
Christ, June 2nd is way sooner than I was expecting. I thought it wouldn't be out until September. And thank you thread for alerting me to the fact that there was a Halloween episode and I never watched it! It's like I get to start the new season a whole week earlier than you guys. :)

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Apeshit Sixfingers posted:

Eltingville was awful.

Now Korgoth of Barbaria on the other hand...

Edit: For the uninitiated:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoxMiZxN-F0

It really is a shame this wasn't picked up. But who knows, maybe the humor would've become a bit too one-note when expanded into a full series. Or it would've been a crazy, heavy metal version of Samurai Jack.

Assoonasitits
Dec 11, 2007

I guess I'm just dumb. I got the impression from the DVD that the original Pilot was never aired. I guess it just didn't fit with the rest of the episodes? I have no clue.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I always assumed that they were mistaking Pete White with the guy from Depeche Mode.

I heard on the VH1, he's totally straight.
But he's in Depeche Mode!

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Renzuko posted:

edit-

Part of the problem is that Ripping Friends was originally made for Fox Kids.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I had high hopes Eltingville and wish it had been picked up, but I also liked the comics on which it was based on.

Delaio posted:

In one of the interviews posted in the last thread I saw the words "10 episode season". Which is kind of disappointing. Even with the intro episode being an hour and counting the Halloween episode, it's still shorter than the other seasons. That's the only place I've seen info though, so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

From what I remember it might be more dire than this because the hour long episode might count as 2 episodes and the Halloween episode is one of the ten episodes. It's gonna be a horribly short season :( BUT from what I understand they already are working on the next one so maybe we won't have to wait as...ah I couldn't even finish typing that because of how inherently untrue what I was about to type was.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

In my dream world, it'll run for two more seasons then get a trilogy of movies to end.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'd love it if this all ended with a movie and a transition afterwards to an online downloadable comic.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Sash! posted:

gently caress YOU for reminding me of that goddamn show. But it's not your fault that I Youtubed it. Even as a kid when I was devouring anything [as] aired I could not get into that show for a second. But I had no idea how weird the cast was.

Also the Eltingville pilot is fantastic and I mourn the fact that it didn't get picked up at least once a year when I rewatch it and reread all the comics.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

RandallODim posted:

I love how all their pupils follow the autocue.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
There is a teepee in my trunks.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I forgot about him, but rewatching Season Four has reminded me of the majestic friend that is Robo-Bo.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

RandallODim posted:

I forgot about him, but rewatching Season Four has reminded me of the majestic friend that is Robo-Bo.

I'll sure we'll get a glimpse of him, now broken and propping up a corner of their trailer.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

RandallODim posted:

Why does it walk like it needs to take a dump?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I Know we follow comic book rules and someone is only dead if you see a body, and even then sometimes it doesn't matter.

But I'm pretty sure we saw the last of King Gorilla :smith: