Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
The EHG show was good, despite confusion about the starting time. Missed out on Sheeple and Our Precious Demise (but judging by the names, that's a positive), and Life on Ceres was more nu-metal than I was expecting.

Dankhdjinn were loving great, sludgy instrumental doom, kind of like Bongripper, but with more of a focus on layering riffs over each other and building that up. When some tech problem came up with the guitar after the first song, one of the bassists kept a drone going while they fixed it. I really want to get some stuff by these guys, but right now, they don't even have a Bandcamp page. They say they're gonna change that soon, though.

It was my first EHG show, and as misanthropic as they try to come across on their albums, the vocalist seemed really dependent on validation from the audience, as he complained about the crowd being ~80 people and the amount of applause compared to what a Pantera cover by one of the earlier bands received. He also threw in some amusing nonsense, though, promising post-show prostate exams from the guitarist, going on a black metal vocals tangent where he channeled Kronos and complained about the beer compared to Newcastle, and then just losing his poo poo as he kept trying to top his BM vocal impression.

Definitely glad I went. I even got my first bottle of metal band-brand hot sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
When I saw EHG here in the UK he likewise went on strange rants and complained about his wife, prison, weed, Manchester and beer, but their entire catalogue is full of misanthropic, negative and depressing music with angry lyrics so what else can you expect, really. Still put on an awesome show.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I guess this is the best thread to ask (or maybe the postrock one?), can someone recommend me a band exactly like Bossk? I know they've got back together and am really looking forward to seeing them live again some time, but until then they've only released 5 tracks ever and I must know every key change and riff to all of them by heart by now. Love their buildups, their vocals, the fact the singer spends three quarters of their sets in the crowd watching the rest of the band play until they get to one of the bits where they need him to start roaring, and I want to hear more of the same.

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance

big scary monsters posted:

I guess this is the best thread to ask (or maybe the postrock one?), can someone recommend me a band exactly like Bossk? I know they've got back together and am really looking forward to seeing them live again some time, but until then they've only released 5 tracks ever and I must know every key change and riff to all of them by heart by now. Love their buildups, their vocals, the fact the singer spends three quarters of their sets in the crowd watching the rest of the band play until they get to one of the bits where they need him to start roaring, and I want to hear more of the same.

Maybe too obvious, but Isis

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Have you hear The Mire? I seem to recall some members of Bossk starting that band after Bossk disbanded. Or my memory might be playing a trick on me. Anyway, it was good stuff. Haven't kept up with what they've been doing lately, but they've put out at least two demos or EPs or something to that effect.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Crimson Sox posted:

Maybe too obvious, but Isis
Haha, Isis are definitely already on my radar.

Frank Caskelot posted:

Have you hear The Mire? I seem to recall some members of Bossk starting that band after Bossk disbanded. Or my memory might be playing a trick on me. Anyway, it was good stuff. Haven't kept up with what they've been doing lately, but they've put out at least two demos or EPs or something to that effect.
Thanks, I'll give them a listen.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Gils posted:

Speaking of Baroness, there's auctions starting soon (well, supposed to be this past Saturday but I'm guessing more delays) towards their medical bills of a bunch of stuff like signed vinyls and posters from bands like Kylesa and Mastodon and a bunch of others. Definitely worth checking out the list.
http://baronessrelief.org/items

Hey this thing started today.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/baronessrelief2013/m.html?_nkw&_armrs=1&_from&_ipg&_trksid=p3686

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

I think more people here might be aware of Bossk... anyway, another maybe slightly obvious one - Cult of Luna's not-so-early stuff like Salvation or Somewhere definitely has a similar atmospheric sludge vibe, this track is the Bosskiest not-Bossk song out there.

The new LP from Godspeed You Black Emperor (yep, namedropping them here) is also a very good slow buildup, heavy, droney thing.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

I saw Kylesa down in Tampa last night. They were really on point, as always.

Blood Ceremony and White Hills both surprised the hell out of me (in a good way). I do think I'll be listening to them both pretty often. Lazer/Wulf was kinda meh, but otherwise, solid show.

Dregel
Dec 29, 2010
FRANCE! HERE I COME!

Hellfest 2013 is sporting the best drat lineup that I have ever seen!

Fist off, try to wrap your head around this:

First day of the festival, and you will be ending the day by first enjoing the awesome High On Fire, then Sleep and then Neurosis...
All three...
In a row...
On the same stage...
Yes there are hour long pauses between but gently caress!
Thats pretty much my favorit three bands right there!

Then add bands like Danzig doing a special 25 year show with Doyle playing Misfits songs, Down, Candlemass, My Dying Bride, Black Breath, Black Cobra, Black Pyramid, Red Fang, Karma to Burn, Graveyard, Truckfighters, Swans, Spiritual Beggers, Clutch and The Sword for the rest of the festival and you're in for a real treat!

As an extra bonus there is also an amazing lineup of diffrent Deat Metal, Black Metal, Punk and all sorts of metal other than Stoner/Doom/Sludge with bands like NOFX, Dark Funeral, Toy Dolls, Ghost, Immortal, Bad Religion, At The Gates and the list goes on.

Without a doubt the best lineup i have ever seen.

Anyone going?

Now, to track down a ticket...

Dregel fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 14, 2013

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Dregel posted:

FRANCE! HERE I COME!

Hellfest 2013 is sporting the best drat lineup that I have ever seen!

Fist off, try to wrap your head around this:

First day of the festival, and you will be ending the day by first enjoing the awesome High On Fire, then Sleep and then Neurosis...
All three...
In a row...
On the same stage...
Yes there are hour long pauses between but gently caress!
Thats pretty much my favorit three bands right there!

Then add bands like Danzig doing a special 25 year show with Doyle playing Misfits songs, Down, Candlemass, My Dying Bride, Black Breath, Black Cobra, Black Pyramid, Red Fang, Karma to Burn, Graveyard, Truckfighters, Swans, Spiritual Beggers, Clutch and The Sword for the rest of the festival and you're in for a real treat!

As an extra bonus there is also an amazing lineup of diffrent Deat Metal, Black Metal, Punk and all sorts of metal other than Stoner/Doom/Sludge with bands like NOFX, Dark Funeral, Toy Dolls, Ghost, Immortal, Bad Religion, At The Gates and the list goes on.

Without a doubt the best lineup i have ever seen.

Anyone going?

Now, to track down a ticket...

My passport renewal isn't coming back in time. Please don't make me cry :(

Check out Wake/Lift by Rosetta.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Oh I forgot Rosetta, that album is brilliant.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

You can stream the new Kylesa album on Pitchfork.

Loving it.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Yob is selling shirts and hats if anyone is interested:

The shirt-yesseah-message yobmerch at hotmail.com if interested. Paypal for payment only at this time. Also let us know where you are located for shipping quote. DOOM!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Yob/36708497970?ref=ts&fref=ts

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
Found out that Om is playing at a literal ancient temple (Temple of Dendur, built around 15 BC) at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NY July 19th, 7pm. They're playing At Giza.

You can get tickets from the Met website. I've already got mine, never seen 'em and missed it last time they were around so I'm pretty excited about it!

E: Tickets Here

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Gasmask posted:

Found out that Om is playing at a literal ancient temple (Temple of Dendur, built around 15 BC) at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NY July 19th, 7pm. They're playing At Giza.

:stare:

Holy gently caress that sounds amazing.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

Prior to their releasing Vulture's Landing, I was worried this album was gonna be a little too poppy - glad to see I was drat wrong.

Anyone else get a Sword vibe from that opening riff to the third track?

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

The Gasmask posted:

They're playing At Giza.

Sold out already, apparently. This may be the first time I have ever wished I obsessively checked a smartphone throughout the day. I trust we can count on a trip report, at least?

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Irony.or.Death posted:

Sold out already, apparently. This may be the first time I have ever wished I obsessively checked a smartphone throughout the day. I trust we can count on a trip report, at least?

Holy poo poo, wasn't expecting it to sell out this quickly! Definitely a trip report - this will be my second "show at a crazy place", the first being Godspeed You! Black Emperor at the Church of St. Paul the Apostle so I have high expectations.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Saw Horisont last night. They are good people.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

blue.eyed.ash posted:

Prior to their releasing Vulture's Landing, I was worried this album was gonna be a little too poppy - glad to see I was drat wrong.

Anyone else get a Sword vibe from that opening riff to the third track?

Sort of. Kinda reminded me of the riff in Prehistoric Dog as well I guess.

Seriously though, after repeated listens, this could easily be my album of 2013.

CaptainJingles
Apr 29, 2013
Gonna throw out a rec for a Finnish group called Hooded Menace. Horror movie themed death/doom metal.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Dark Castle's "Spirited Migration" is on heavy rotation on my playlist. Any recommendations for similar bands? In particular I like that the vocals are growled.

Globochem
Jul 19, 2003
We own everything so you don't have to.
Vista Chino (Kyuss Lives) put up their first recording on SoundCloud. Dargona Dragona sounds pretty good to me.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Worship Satan and the mighty doom laden riffs of the Demon Lung!!!

Their debut album, The Hundredth Name, drops on June 4th from Candlelight Records.

If one tune isn't enough to convince you, here's another...

Eyes of Zamiel

Baron Von Ghoulosh fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 24, 2013

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I know this thread isn't the busiest but I was wondering if someone around here is going to attend Stoned From The Underground. Because I hopefully will and it'd be great to meet a fellow goon.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

CaptainJingles posted:

Gonna throw out a rec for a Finnish group called Hooded Menace. Horror movie themed death/doom metal.

Hooded Menace are so loving great. It was an awesome day when I got their debut album and Acid Witch's debut in the same package from Razorback

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

I know this thread isn't the busiest but I was wondering if someone around here is going to attend Stoned From The Underground. Because I hopefully will and it'd be great to meet a fellow goon.

Jesus, that lineup is awesome.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Caught Giganto, Dankhdjinn, and Before the Eyewall tonight. Giganto was OK, unpolished noise rock with more rock than noise, nothing special.

Dankhdjinn

guitarist obscured by flare
were the band I hit up the show for, and they were just as good as they were at the EHG show; maybe a little better, since the acoustics at this venue were tighter and helped push the amp output. If you wanna hear something like Bongripper with more drone, and you're in the southern States, you should check them out. I'm just wishing they would get some of their material recorded and put out a demo soon.

Before the Eyewall was better than Giganto, but I have a hard time shaking my skepticism when a heavy band is using a Mac for processing.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

Jesus, that lineup is awesome.

It absolutely is. Yet there are only like ~4000 people there. Good mix of nationalities though, a lot of
diehard Stoner fans. I wasn't there last year and loving missed Saint Vitus and Orange Goblin. :gonk:

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Anti-Hero posted:

Dark Castle's "Spirited Migration" is on heavy rotation on my playlist. Any recommendations for similar bands? In particular I like that the vocals are growled.

Give Adai a try. Not as ball-crushingly heavy as Dark Castle but I find they scratch the same itch.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
New Kylesa out today. I've managed to not listen to a single song or snippet off it so far, hopefully I won't be let down when I go pick it up today.

Robophile
Apr 20, 2003

We know a remote farm in Lincolnshire, where Mrs. Buckley lives.

rxcowboy posted:

New Kylesa out today. I've managed to not listen to a single song or snippet off it so far, hopefully I won't be let down when I go pick it up today.

I've really enjoyed it so far. Looking forward to seeing them tomorrow night, too.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
So the new Church of Misery is pretty loving fantastic.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
So how about some Irish Crusty Doom?

http://okus.bandcamp.com/

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

For the Doom musicians out there: Mike Scheidt from Yob is selling his Chamberlain 1968 Superlead clone. Used on ATMA and the recent tours. He's priced it at $2000 shipped in the US. If I still used analog amps I'd be on that in a second. If you're interested you can contact him through Facebook.
Just thought I'd share that, as the thing is a piece of awesome doom (recent) history!

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Henchman of Santa posted:

So the new Church of Misery is pretty loving fantastic.

2nding this. It's definitely not Houses of the Unholy, but still a great album. I also think I'm just going to pretend it's the new Sabbath album.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
I was cleaning and I found my High on Fire Art of Self Defense CD from 2001(?), it's the original OOP copy with the eagle on the cover. Is that worth any money or would it have been better if it was vinyl?

EDIT - Image from Amazon

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Discogs is good for finding things like that out. The eagle cover is a reissue from 2001, and it is worth about 8 bucks.

http://www.discogs.com/High-On-Fire-The-Art-Of-Self-Defense/master/55164

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

So 13 is streaming, and it's actually not that bad, and does deliver on the riffs for the most part. At least the last Black Sabbath album released isn't forbidden anymore.