Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gnarl
Jul 28, 2010
Soiled Meat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

You walk with your father along the beach.

Many small rocks sit in the surf. You are searching along their sides for lazon snails, a certain sort of blue snails whose shell is needed needed for one of the countless inscrutable and incomprehensible rituals he performs on a schedule which seems to align to the seasons but seems to have countless intricacies only he understand. According to him, all of them are urgent and of the utmost seriousness, even if you cannot detect any apparent pattern to them.

The waves lap gently along the shore, you've found a number of the snails he is searching for and seems to be in a slightly better than usual mood.

An ideal time to ask him questions... if you were so inclined.

You have some time to ask your father some questions. As a general rule of thumb throughout the game, you can ask any NPC you are currently interacting with questions, it is up to them to decide if and how they answer. Asking intentionally provocative or questions may require a mini-vote to figure out if everyone thinks asking the question is a good idea. Telling things to NPCs generally requires a vote.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 25, 2013

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
Dad, can you drown me and get it over with? Thanks. I'd prefer that to spending time with you and hearing about your fake god and wiping Jalitha's blood off my tear-stained cheeks.
May25[15:11::27]Saturday <gnarl> We are still at the beach though. Let´s swim off anyway
May25[15:11::33]Saturday <ADarkerPorpoise> Haha yes
May25[15:11::35]Saturday <ADarkerPorpoise> Just take off
May25[15:11::53]Saturday <gnarl> Cya daddy, the bigh fish is calling me

Option Z: SWIM AWAY, SWIM AWAAAAY

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Ask how he reads the weather from the tides. Or if that's too big of a topic, at least how to tell if a storm or catastrophic event is coming.

Edit: And ask about the voice too; can't believe I left that part out!

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 25, 2013

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

FoxTerrier posted:

Ask how he reads the weather from the tides. Or if that's too big of a topic, at least how to tell if a storm or catastrophic event is coming.

This, and lets also ask him about voices coming from the sea.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah if we're talking to Dad lets ask him about the voice telling us about storms while we were being drowned.

e: Seconding Callipygian Weasel's question.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 25, 2013

Callipygian Weasel
Apr 2, 2010

by Lowtax
Ask him if he's seen any dolphins lately. And if so, where they tend to hang out.

Porpoises and whales are also acceptable.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

A Darker Porpoise posted:

Yeah if we're talking to Dad lets ask him about the voice telling us about storms while we were being drowned.
Yeah, a storm is coming, I'm sure that's no big deal.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

"Are you my real father?"

My theory is that Jorah or someone else is our real dad who copulated with Shushem's wife. My theory is that Shushem is infertile.

Diogines posted:

You are rather tall for your age.

You look different.

As much as you could, you took every opportunity to be with Jorah, leaving with him in the morning on his boat when he left to fish, out of the reach of your father.

You no longer look at Jorah with the eyes of a toddler and Jorah is indeed the tallest and strongest man in the village and though he sometimes argues with your father, he has never disobeyed him in any drastic ways, nor has he placed a hand on him or threatened to do so.
Why are we so tall?
Do other children treat us different cause they know something?
Why are we so drawn to Jorah, anyway
Why is he acting like a real father figure, but has to respect Shushem?
Did Shushem ask Jorah to sire a child with Shushem's wife because Shushem's infertile?
Did the deal also include the fact that Jorah would have to go along with it to make the village Athar think it's Shushem's real son?
Why doesn't Shushem have any other children?

The answers to these questions seem to support my theory.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

A Darker Porpoise posted:

I agree with my buddy, ADP. Also, we should ask him what grandpa was like because, well, maybe talking about his father would open him up a bit - or at least let us learn more about his background.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Have any of our gods ever communicated with you directly about anything?

I'm not talking about signs or omens or anything he may have perceived as an edict from a god. I mean, actual direct use of words, something like:
"Hey, Og's Dad, THIS IS YOUR GOD, AND I AM SPEAKING TO YOU. Hold any gates you may come across in the future. Be nice to clowns. Etc, etc."

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

OhYo posted:

Agreed, ask this! ASK IT
ask this ask this ask this

DCBomB
Sep 14, 2008

I feel like if we ask that he might just beat the poo poo out of us.

Maybe if we ask why we're so tall and different instead?

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

I selflessly rescued an abandoned cat during the COVID-19 Pandemic :3:

OhYo posted:

My theory is that Jorah or someone else is our real dad who copulated with Shushem's wife. My theory is that Shushem is infertile.

Why are we so tall?
Did Shushem ask Jorah to sire a child with Shushem's wife because Shushem's infertile?
Did the deal also include the fact that Jorah would have to go along with it to make the village Athar think it's Shushem's real son?

I believe Shushem is his real father. But his mother is not Shushem's wife.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Hankosha posted:

This:

(Pagam for Boat learning.)

This

oops, vote over.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 25, 2013

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

For what?
Well, in that case, I vote L. For PauL.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

JT Jag posted:

Yeah, a storm is coming, I'm sure that's no big deal.

This is vital!

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

FoxTerrier posted:

Edit: And ask about the voice too; can't believe I left that part out!

As you reach into cracks in the rock for snails, you ask.

Your father looks out at the waves, behind you. "You will learn how to my son, When you have come to learn the will of Asherah. You will see his fins hidden everywhere in all that we do, in the waves, in the sky, in the shells upon the beach."

Callipygian Weasel posted:

Ask him if he's seen any dolphins lately. And if so, where they tend to hang out.

Porpoises and whales are also acceptable.

"No, it is still too early in the season, they won't arrive for two more moons" your father tells you.

OhYo posted:

Why are we so tall?

"The will of Asherah" your father says "your grandfather was as well."

OhYo posted:

You pull your hand out of a crevice in the rocks and find another blue snail, you hand it to your father, he drops it into a small leather bag. "Because my son, they fear Asherah and foolishly believe they can hide from his sight, if they hide from ours. All is seen by Asherah, above and below the waves."

OhYo posted:

I assumed these were questions to other players, not to Shushem?

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I agree with my buddy, ADP. Also, we should ask him what grandpa was like because, well, maybe talking about his father would open him up a bit - or at least let us learn more about his background.
"A stern man, devoted to our god."

the_steve posted:

Have any of our gods ever communicated with you directly about anything?

I'm not talking about signs or omens or anything he may have perceived as an edict from a god. I mean, actual direct use of words, something like:
"Hey, Og's Dad, THIS IS YOUR GOD, AND I AM SPEAKING TO YOU. Hold any gates you may come across in the future. Be nice to clowns. Etc, etc."
Your father motions you to reach back into the rocks, to search for more snails, which you do, but he answers your question. "You will meet Asherah when it is your time to replace me and then it shall be your responsibility to see that his will is done. If you stop running off from your lessons. You have no choice in the matter, but this is a solemn and sacred duty and should you fail, our people will starve at best."

We need a mini vote on two things:

1. Do you want to ask him if he is your father?
2. Do you want to tell him about the voice you think you once heard?

We have a few people who want to do each. If you don't want this to be asked, give your input. If there is more support for asking them than not asking them, both will be asked.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

After quality time with dad is done, we will have a more "substantial" update tonight.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Don't ask if he's our father. I don't necessarily want to directly bring out the voice, but just ask if he knows of or has ever heard voices from the sea.

Callipygian Weasel
Apr 2, 2010

by Lowtax
NO for number one,

but YES for number two.

I am also interested in his thoughts about cuttlefish.

Callipygian Weasel fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 25, 2013

gnarl
Jul 28, 2010
Soiled Meat

SerSpook posted:

Don't ask if he's our father. I don't necessarily want to directly bring out the voice, but just ask if he knows of or has ever heard voices from the sea.

Yeah I'm going for this.

XOXO
Mar 8, 2013

Ask me about being weaker than a 60 year-old British woman.
1) No

2) Yes

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

NO for number one,

but YES for number two.

This please.

DCBomB
Sep 14, 2008

NO for number one,

but YES for number two.

Yeaaahhh, he'd probably just get mad at #1.

#2 though, he's probably looooove that we are hearing things from Mr.Fishy

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

1) HELL NO!
2) Yes please enlighten us Poppa.
e: Tell us about the cuttlefish man inquiring minds need to know!

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 25, 2013

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
1 No
2 Yes
3 Begrudgingly start taking your lessons more seriously. Our people lives depend on it!

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

NO for number one,

but YES for number two.

Both 2 and 3 please. :cthulhu:

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Diogines posted:

1. Do you want to ask him if he is your father?
2. Do you want to tell him about the voice you think you once heard?

1: No
2: Yup

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Don't ask him if he's our father

DO tell him about our vision

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

Don't ask if he's our father, tell him about the voice. Our father doesn't seem like that bad a dude. He just really cares about the village.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

1. No
2. Yes

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

1. No
2. Yes - Maybe not in a "Hey I heard this while you drowned me" way, but a "Hey I was diving underwater to find some Semen of Asherah or whatever and heard this, what could it mean?" way or something.

Other questions for Dad/Diogines;

Are there any tales of witches that we've learnt, what they do, why they do it, what we do to them etc?

For Diogines;

What are people like when they're around our Father?, do they show fear, reverence?, does he have 'friends' at all?
What is the general feeling towards Jalitha by everyone else in the village?

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 25, 2013

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

1: No.

2: Yes, but be less specific: ask if anyone has heard voices from the sea.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
1. No
2. Yes

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.
1. No
2. Yes

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Diogines posted:

I assumed these were questions to other players, not to Shushem?
They were, but I wouldn't mind asking: "Why don't you have any other children?" or "Why don't I have siblings?"
This is a softer question than "Are you my real father?" and it may give us a hint without the consequences many voters are concerned for.

1. No, ask "Why don't I have siblings?" instead.
2. No. It was a still, small voice, for only us to hear. We would be wise to understand the messenger wishes only us to know.

OhYo fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 25, 2013

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
1- no, on 'are you my dad'?
2- yes, but sneak up on it, because though dad seems to be nice just now, we know he can go ballistic if we give him a green shell instead of a blue one.

We could start by asking if Ashera speaks to Dad and how that works.

We have one exception where dad was happy with us. We probably think however this goes we end up getting beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

No, no.