Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tudhalias
Sep 7, 2009

OhYo posted:

They were, but I wouldn't mind asking: "Why don't you have any other children?" or "Why don't I have siblings?"
This is a softer question than "Are you my real father?" and it may give us a hint without the consequences many voters are concerned for.

1. No, ask "Why don't I have siblings?" instead.
2. No. It was a still, small voice, for only us to hear. We would be wise to understand the messenger wishes only us to know.

This. Don't piss off dad, and especially don't piss off unknown secret ocean messenger.
No, Ask about siblings.
No, say nothing about the voice.

Edit: Also, a normal question "What if something happens to you before I am ready?"

Tudhalias fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Ask him about afterlife. "What happens to people after they die?"

Hankosha
Apr 1, 2008

SISTAS ARE DOIN' IT FOR THEMSELVES

Ask: Daddy - Where do boats come from?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

1.No
2.Yes

Also tell him that cuttlefishes from the sky will bring upon the end of the world.

Or just ask him how Ashera will end the world.

Snow Job posted:

And this.

Daned
Jan 14, 2008

1. No

2. Yes

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Snow Job posted:

Heck, I can answer this one. "They are returned to the ocean, and are swallowed up by Ashera, and remain with him for all of time." I assume water burials are a big deal for this culture.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

An ordinary question: What kind of Demons of the seas exist and how do we watch out and protect ourselves from them?

Althair
Jul 26, 2006
words are weapons
1. No

2. Yes

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

1. No - I'm pretty sure that if he weren't our real father, he'd have cast us out or exiled us or otherwise NOT let us live in his house and whatnot.

2. Yes - He'll probably just tell us we imagined it, but hey, mebbe we'll learn some snippet of lore.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

the_steve posted:

1. No - I'm pretty sure that if he weren't our real father, he'd have cast us out or exiled us or otherwise NOT let us live in his house and whatnot.

2. Yes - He'll probably just tell us we imagined it, but hey, mebbe we'll learn some snippet of lore.

This - Don't ask if he is our Dad, but DO ask him about the voice we heard.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
1. No
2. Yes

Seems like the most prudent thing to do! Our father strikes me as a decent enough man (for his time), but asking him if he is really our dad will only lead to trouble.

cxp
Mar 27, 2010
Fun Shoe
1. No
2. Yes

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

1. No
2. Yes

Seems like the most prudent thing to do! Our father strikes me as a decent enough man (for his time), but asking him if he is really our dad will only lead to trouble.

May25[18:02::37]Saturday <ADarkerPorpoise> Heh oh Hot Dog Day
May25[18:02::47]Saturday <ADarkerPorpoise> "Our father strikes me as a decent enough man"
May25[18:02::53]Saturday <ADarkerPorpoise> he certainly does strike us a lot :v

:haw::haw::haw::haw::haw::haw::haw::haw:

I'm on Team DADDYDON'THITME

Also, anyone remember Cooltext from the 90s? Apparently that still exists. I used that instead of blingee or sparklee, cos I wanted some nostalgia.

Paradox Personified fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 26, 2013

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
1. No
2. Yes

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

1.no
2.yes

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
1. No, do ask why we don't have siblings that fits.
2. Yes.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
No on both. There's no need to anger our father for no good reason. Even if he tells us the truth, what good will this knowledge do? I'd also rather not tell our father we're hearing voices. Maybe he hears them too and we get to learn a bit about what it's like to be Asherah's prophet. Alternatively, he thinks we are possessed by sea demons and excommunicates us from the village.

It warms my heart to see so many people in support of building a boat.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Diogines wrote on May 25, 2013 22:57:

Tudhalias posted:

This. Don't piss off dad, and especially don't piss off unknown secret ocean messenger.
No, Ask about siblings.
No, say nothing about the voice.

Edit: Also, a normal question "What if something happens to you before I am ready?"
You pluck another snail from between the rocks and hand it to your father. He looks at it closely for a moment and tosses it into the surf. "That one was too young, they must be wider than your thumb. To your question. Nothing shall happen to me my son, I am protected by Asherah from harm. If you were ever so unwise as to fall from his favor and perish, a replacement would be sent from one of the other villages. If our village was not drowned for your transgressions. If you fail to learn properly, I shall live as long as I must to train another."

Snow Job posted:

"All are consumed by Asherah. Those who please Asherah are reborn as great fish. Those who do not, lesser fish who they are consumed by his hunger."

Hankosha posted:

Ask: Daddy - Where do boats come from?
"Our people were naked and hungry when we first walked upon the beaches from the seed of Asherah. There was no food and we knew not how to find it. Asherah sent his son and daughter, Adom and Jaar to teach our people which seaweed to eat. He sent Ninveh to teach us to make boats. He sent Smis to teach us to spear fish and Garal to teach us to make nets."

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

An ordinary question: What kind of Demons of the seas exist and how do we watch out and protect ourselves from them?
You pluck out another snail. It is brown. You place it back within the crevice in the rocks. "You will learn the rights when you are older."

"Father" you say "I thought I heard a voice within the waters once tell me that a storm was coming. Was that Asherah?" Your father nods "It was, or one of his children. When was this? Did a storm follow?"

What is your response?

ALSO! This is an excellent time to ask general questions about the village which you want answers to. Not to your father, consider it plumbing your own memories. You are ten years old. What other information about your home, which you might reasonably know, would you like to know?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I guess just tell him. And yes, a storm did come, we recall lightning and the waves rose up.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I am all for telling him the truth about the storm and the vision we had.

About the village:

Are there any stories about how our people came to live there?
Do we know where we came from before we found the village?
Are there are any other slaves from Jalitha's people in the village?
How did she come to stay with us, and what happened to the people who traveled with her?

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 26, 2013

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah I'm all for telling him the truth about the only message we've gotten so far.
Dad questions: Why don't I have any siblings? Is okay by me.

Self questions:
When the men leave the village when they come back do they bring anything back with them? Are there any larger secluded caves around that stay above the tide? Do adults actively avoid us when we aren't doing work for them like the children avoid us?
vvv

quote:

You are now ten years old. You spent time with many people over the last six years, sometimes by choice, sometimes, you were forced to. Please order the following in the order you spent the most time with them, from most frequent to least frequent.

We were voting on who we spent time with from age 4-10 in that six year skip.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 26, 2013

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Wait, I thought we were 16 now with a 6-year timeskip? Also, just tell him what you remember.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

I'm good for telling him what we know, but keep in mind this is only to hear his interpretation of it.

I'm still okay with "Why don't I have any siblings?"
"What other major landmarks are nearby besides the sea and the forest?"
"How many days travel to the closest village?"
"Is there any way to pass on the rituals besides by telling it? Maybe some way to log it to future generations?"
"In what way do you and Asherah wish Athar to prosper? Power, wealth, renown? All or none of these? something else entirely?"

XOXO
Mar 8, 2013

Ask me about being weaker than a 60 year-old British woman.
Tell what we remember.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Diog, QUESTION:

The introduction in your OP, "On the first day, etc.", is that accurate? Or do I need to consider you an unreliable narrator from post one?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Raserys posted:

Wait, I thought we were 16 now with a 6-year timeskip? Also, just tell him what you remember.
We were four. Now we are ten.

Tell him everything about that voice to the best of our memory.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Diog, QUESTION:

The introduction in your OP, "On the first day, etc.", is that accurate? Or do I need to consider you an unreliable narrator from post one?

He most likely won't answer that question.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

JT Jag posted:

We were four. Now we are ten.

I'm dumb and thought that the second mention of the timeskip referred to a different one entirely :doh:

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

Raserys posted:

The second time he said 6 years pass was because we were reliving the past 6 years based on the time we chose to spend with people. We went into the future to determine how to vote for the past. :shobon:

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

I selflessly rescued an abandoned cat during the COVID-19 Pandemic :3:

edit: I missed it. whelp!

Natalie Fartman fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 26, 2013

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Disargeria posted:

The second time he said 6 years pass was because we were reliving the past 6 years based on the time we chose to spend with people. We went into the future to determine how to vote for the past. :shobon:
My god, Final Fantasy 13-2 was right!

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Voting: Tell pop pop about the voice/related events to the best of our memory.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
Yeah, Tell him when it was, and whether or not a storm followed. No reason to keep anything from him, he knows more than anyone about what things might mean, and I'm sure he's faithful to Asherah, so there's no reason not to be completely frank with him about things concerning it.

PandaPropaganda
Apr 22, 2008
Tell him because maybe he'll get off our loving backs a little bit if he thinks we're already hearing the voice of our god accurately.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Once we're grown up, I want to start a cult devoted to the worship of Smis the Great Lobster. Blessed be his claws.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Tell him. Also, ask how his marriage to mom came to be; I'm curious about our mother.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Actually, you know what? This is Guy Time. We need to have a Man Talk.

Ask Dad how to get our gently caress on.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

What's the general population of our village?
Roughly how many children/adults/elders?

Do the villagers in general seem to be well-provided for, or are we barely scraping by?

Althair
Jul 26, 2006
words are weapons
Tell him.

A question for dad: "Does anyone ever take the teachings of Ashera to other villages and cities?"

I have some questions for our memory:

Do the kids play sports/games, what kind?

What foods are highly prized in our village?

Do we know that pearls might be valuable for trade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Coq au Nandos posted:

Actually, you know what? This is Guy Time. We need to have a Man Talk.

Ask Dad how to get our gently caress on.
Ew, no, we're 10. Girls have cooties.