Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

Arujei posted:

So I thought I'd try out Genius of Sappheiros, but the English translation pack I downloaded seems to just straight up break the game. I have the base 3.0, and the translation said I need 3.1, but I can't find any patch for that. Am I just doing something wrong?

I tried looking all around just now, including on Strawberry Bose's website, but I couldn't seem to find a download link either.

Fortunately(?) I am a pack-rat that never deletes anything, so I still had the update file in my folders. This should do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Awesome, thanks! Do I just run it on the GoS folder?

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Yeah, run it in the same folder and it should patch everything automatically, as I recall it.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Hrm, now the patcher looks like it's giving me an error about MD5 checksums with config.exe, Engine.dll, and Game.pak. Times like this I wish I remembered more Japanese from my high school days!
Edit: And yes, I did make sure to remove the English patch .paks from the folder before running it.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!

I am gone for a week and Dracula slips into a Touhou game, what the gently caress.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Nages posted:

I am gone for a week and Dracula slips into a Touhou game, what the gently caress.

Miko's new title is "Almighty Taoist who Rule the Universe".

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Get ready for her to shoot meteors for one of her bullet attacks and get help from Komachi in game. Her ending will involve her moving all the Taoists to the moon.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Not much happening on Pixiv recently, now that all the Hopeless Masqurade characters have been revealed. Everyone's just posting samples of doujin to be released at Reitaisai. Everyone, except those in Finland.

We're on a mission from Byakuren.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Hey kids, would you like your very own solid gold Cirno? Well now you can get it for the low, low price of whatever the hell this says:

Reitaisai's gonna start in about 6 hours but apparently HM has a critical bug, so the devs are going to have to make a day 0 patch instead of finalized gameplay trailers.

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

HGH posted:

Hey kids, would you like your very own solid gold Cirno? Well now you can get it for the low, low price of whatever the hell this says:

Reitaisai's gonna start in about 6 hours but apparently HM has a critical bug, so the devs are going to have to make a day 0 patch instead of finalized gameplay trailers.

I may be wrong, but I think almost every Tasofro game had a day 0 patch?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

nekoxid posted:

I may be wrong, but I think almost every Tasofro game had a day 0 patch?

Does this make them bad coders, or is it a ruse to make sure that it doesn't get leaked?

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

HGH posted:

Haven't read Japanese in awhile, but I think it says 10-mon yen. The Japanese counting system is a little different - they separate every 5 digits instead of every four like the rest of us, so one mon is 10,000. So it should be 100,000 yen, which is about $1000. Sounds about right for a solid gold Cirno

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Holy poo poo that's....that's an expensive Touhou thing.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Justus posted:

Haven't read Japanese in awhile, but I think it says 10-mon yen. The Japanese counting system is a little different - they separate every 5 digits instead of every four like the rest of us, so one mon is 10,000. So it should be 100,000 yen, which is about $1000. Sounds about right for a solid gold Cirno

The sign in front says it's on exhibition for the tenth time. The signs in back say no photography, and Meikyo Shisui (Clear mirror, still water). There's no price on anything in the picture.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Elliotw2 posted:

Does this make them bad coders, or is it a ruse to make sure that it doesn't get leaked?

Considering the translator chat about TasoFro's labyrinthine code a while ago I'm gonna guess the former.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

So how long does it ussually take for these games to go on sale outside the event?

Tengames fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 26, 2013

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

I see no one's posted this yet: "wer (dafuq) iz mai new 2hu?" 201-3: 'Double the dealing, triple the anticipation' edition

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

That Page posted:

("What the... Did I just read 'translation patch'...?")

That's right. We're going to have a self-updating, multilingual translation patch for the in-game dialog of the Touhou 14 trial a few hours after we got our hands on the game. We've worked for over 1 year to make this possible, and now, we finally have the best chances to pull this off. Of course, this requires that there aren't any major engine changes in the areas that affect us, but EoSD was the last time this happened anyway, so it's highly unlikely.

However,
these "few hours" merely refer to the technical side of things. We're going to release it once that's done, whether the actual translations have been completed or not.

Thus, we need your help.
Yes, you Japanese → English translators who usually immediately translate these after their release.

Don't just put up your translations on your blog or webspace where nobody would find them.
Don't just post them on /jp/ where they'll get sagebombed with lots of "hurr durr $newchar is mai waifu" posts within minutes.
Don't wait for Touhou Wiki to put up the pages to translate the in-game dialog there - rather help them by doing everything else!

Instead, enter the in-game dialog translations into Touhou Patch Center - which will have the original Japanese texts in easily translatable form sooner than any other site. By helping us, you will bring your translations to the fans in the only speed worthy of the Touhou fandom: "Faster Than Light™".
Let's make this happen.

This is some kind of magical wizardry. :swoon:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The flaw of course being that translation takes time away from playing the games.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Clarste posted:

The flaw of course being that translation takes time away from playing the games.

see that's why you release both a game and demo at the same time. you play one while translating the other.

4 hours estimated for a translation though, goddamn.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Tengames posted:

see that's why you release both a game and demo at the same time. you play one while translating the other.

4 hours estimated for a translation though, goddamn.

4 hours is for the patch, not the translation. Their system allows for partial patches, apparently. The idea is to make an auto-updating wiki-based patch that can be updated constantly with no input from the patch-creators. The 4 hour estimate is for how long it will take to tweak their system to the new game's idiosyncrasies. Translation might occur simultaneously, but it's not linked to that timeframe. Translation will occur both before and after the patch is released.

Honestly, it's not even really a patch. It's a new thing they're experimenting with.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Is translating a trial even worth it?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Volt Catfish posted:

Is translating a trial even worth it?

The idea is that they've created interchangeable tech that works for any Touhou game (except the Tasofro ones), so when the final release comes out they can quickly port it over and have the translation start half-done. In a playable state. It's not a patch, it's a new patching paradigm. It also retroactively patches all the previous games, although obviously people don't care about that quite as much.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
So the first thing some people did when they got HM was to check the code.

If this is a real image (it's probably not), Hina and Parsee confirmed. :toot:
And I guess the new touhou is called Sakiko?

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 26, 2013

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Well that would make an even more bizzarre cast last if true,

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Oh man Touhou DLC can't wait :smug:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

So the first thing some people did when they got HM was to check the code.

If this is a real image (it's probably not), Hina and Parsee confirmed. :toot:
And I guess the new touhou is called Sakiko?

Interesting. I've heard that people have been datamining the bugfix patch already released on the website and have determined that the final boss is Hata no Kokoro, a youkai Noh mask created by Prince Shoutoku back when he/she was alive. My random rumor is slightly more plausible in that it satisfies the "character named after kanji from title rule" but maybe that's a reason to disbelieve it. Kokoro seems a bit too straightforward.

Also, Mamizou confirmed.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 26, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Clarste posted:

Also, Mamizou confirmed.

From what I hear, she was confirmed even before the big rush of reveals. Apparently a freelancer TasoFro hired to work on the game made a tweet (that he deleted shortly afterwards) hinting one of the playable characters in her speaking mannerism.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

From what I hear, she was confirmed even before the big rush of reveals. Apparently a freelancer TasoFro hired to work on the game made a tweet (that he deleted shortly afterwards) hinting one of the playable characters in her speaking mannerism.

I would argue that "hinted" is different from "confirmed", but okay, she was reconfirmed.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Looking sort of wideface there.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Clarste posted:

I would argue that "hinted" is different from "confirmed", but okay, she was reconfirmed.

I thought Tasofro said that they had revealed all the characters that were returning from previous games. Why didn't they reveal Mamizou alongside the others, then? (Not that I doubt you, it just seems weird to not reveal Mamizou early when she was expected from the beginning).

Dinky Duck Race posted:

Looking sort of wideface there.

The :downs: is how you know it's Real Zun Art.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Secret characters are always cool.

Also oh god, Sakuya's hand.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I thought Tasofro said that they had revealed all the characters that were returning from previous games. Why didn't they reveal Mamizou alongside the others, then? (Not that I doubt you, it just seems weird to not reveal Mamizou early when she was expected from the beginning).

After picking Koishi as a character and getting hit once it is revealed that it was really Mamizou in disguise.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Ammat The Ankh posted:

They've been hiding playable characters from old titles in all the fighting games pre-release, and Mamizou sort of makes sense since Zun's playing her up as a member of the Secret Mystery Fucklord Club in Forbidden Scrollery.

On a related note Volume 2 of Forbidden Scrollery has been coming out. Chapter 6 and 7 are a two-parter, Chapter 7 is out but untranslated, Mexican imports are involved.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Presumably because she's related to the plot. She's the second-to-last boss. Incidentally, there's a nico livestream of the game now. So we've seen her in action.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Characters from HM and DDC

Mid Boss

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Are you loving kidding me.

EDIT: ^ Welp, beaten.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 26, 2013

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Well, ZUN did say this was about going back to basics, no? That makes sense to me.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
So does that boss live in the lake near SDM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Second stage boss is the Orin sprite doppelganger