Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RGX
Sep 23, 2004
Unstoppable

Hogburto posted:

The option to change/check this setting is at http://www.youtube.com/html5.

Link says I'm not currently in the trial, I guess I'll opt in and see if the problem persists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

On the subject of that HTML5 trial, the thing most annoying me about it is when you right click -> copy URL, instead of copying it to clipboard, it opens up a little box for you to copy from.

This would be fine, except the text in there is not copyable. How do you fix that?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Is it still advisable to disable WebM and ogg (in about:config) for the Youtube HTML5 trial?
...Hell, I'll just keep 'em disabled anyway.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Is there a way I can use separate Firefox profiles at the same time? I'd like to have my work gmail and my personal gmail open at the same time without having to use another browser.

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007
If you're on Windows you can create a new shortcut and add -p PROFILENAME -no-remote to do what you want. Or you can use Private mode.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Thanks...And now, Firefox is doing this thing where anything I download immediately disappears. This is the strangest bug.

Hm, disabling Browser.download.manager.scanWhenDone in about:config fixed that.

fookolt fucked around with this message at 11:19 on May 20, 2013

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I started the HTML5 trial for Youtube, I am not really seeing anything different. Really the only thing I have noticed is that with flash, I can set Youtube to be full screen on one monitor and keep using the other monitor, but with HTML5 it kicks me out of full screen if I switch to another browser window. Is there any easy way to prevent this?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Colonel Sanders posted:

I started the HTML5 trial for Youtube, I am not really seeing anything different. Really the only thing I have noticed is that with flash, I can set Youtube to be full screen on one monitor and keep using the other monitor, but with HTML5 it kicks me out of full screen if I switch to another browser window. Is there any easy way to prevent this?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3431449&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=65#post414697218

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I'm not seeing the click to play function in Aurora 23 - the preference is there and set to true, but the functionality itself isn't working.

Anyone else having this issue? Flashblock also seems to be inoperative.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'm not seeing the click to play function in Aurora 23 - the preference is there and set to true, but the functionality itself isn't working.

Anyone else having this issue? Flashblock also seems to be inoperative.
This functionality has been replaced with a new, more powerful version that is set per-plugin in the Add-ons Manager. Firefox, Add-ons, Plugins on the left, drop-down menus on the right default to "Always activate". "Ask to Activate" is click-to-play.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
The Greasemonkey script Youtube Xl wasn't working with HTML5, so here's the same thing as a style for the Stylish add-on (which I prefer to a script, anyway):
code:
@namespace url([url]http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml[/url]);

@-moz-document domain("www.youtube.com") {
    .watch-medium #player-api {
        position:   fixed   !important;
        left:       0px     !important;
        top:        0px     !important;
        width:      100%    !important;
        height:     100%    !important;
        z-index:    999     !important;
        }
}
If it also works with the Flash version of Youtube, I guess that'd be a bonus.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Alereon posted:

This functionality has been replaced with a new, more powerful version that is set per-plugin in the Add-ons Manager. Firefox, Add-ons, Plugins on the left, drop-down menus on the right default to "Always activate". "Ask to Activate" is click-to-play.

thanks for this, its an awesome implantation too

edit: where is the white list for Aurora's new blocked content feature? As much as I appreciate it I just want to read the new york times

Modus Trollens fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 22, 2013

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Alereon posted:

When the hell did this come into play? Thanks for the heads up.

Also, was there some sort of Gecko or JavaScript speed update in Aurora 23? Page loads seem a lot snappier since 23 came along.

Edit 2: Changes to version 23:

"Consolidated search default preference now lets users switch to another search provider in the search box and change the setting for address bar and context search". Can someone explain?

"Load images automatically", "Enable JavaScript", and Always show the tab bar" checkboxes removed from preferences. How can JS be disabled now? Occasionally I want to disable it.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 22, 2013

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Also, was there some sort of Gecko or JavaScript speed update in Aurora 23? Page loads seem a lot snappier since 23 came along.
There's a good number of performance improvements in every version, but they added a new Baseline JavaScript compiler. This compiler is a middle-ground option between the interpreter, which is very fast to run but executes code slowly, and the IonMonkey compiler, which is slow to run but generates very fast code. The Baseline compiler runs much more quickly than IonMonkey, but generates code that isn't as fast (but is much faster than the interpreter). The idea is that JavaScript initially runs in the interpreter, if it's going to execute multiple times it gets compiled with Baseline, and if the browser is spending a LOT of time in the code it will run it through the IonMonkey compiler.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Alereon posted:

in Aurora 23a2 the options seem to universally be Always or Never (disabled), did you mean the Ask to Activate functionality is upcoming, but not yet available?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

the yeti posted:

in Aurora 23a2 the options seem to universally be Always or Never (disabled), did you mean the Ask to Activate functionality is upcoming, but not yet available?
I'm seeing the "Ask to Activate" option now on Aurora 23.0a2 (2013-05-21).

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
When I jumped from Aurora to Nightly (going from version 22 to 24, I think) it totally botched the plugin ask/activate stuff. I had to go into about:config and reset a bunch of settings for the proper UI elements to even appear. Maybe they put some code in that handles the transition more gracefully now, but if you run into some problems, check for settings like "plugin.state.flash" and right click to reset them. I did this for all of them and restarted and it worked right after that.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Anyone else having problems with LastPass on Aurora 23? It's not letting me change logins from the drop down list.

syzygy86
Feb 1, 2008

WattsvilleBlues posted:

How can JS be disabled now? Occasionally I want to disable it.

I normally use NoScript.

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.
Does anyone how to configure Tree Style Tabs to behave similarly to Opera's Tab Stacking & window panel features? I've managed to get something pretty similar by using tree tabs in conjunction with the Multiple Tab Handler extension. However, when I open a link in a background tab I'd prefer it to make it a child tab to the original parent tab, rather than making multiple layers of indented tabs.

I seem to have achieved the desired effect by enabling "indent tabs" but limiting it to 1 level, but that prevents me from manually arranging my tabs several levels deep, like Opera's Window panel allows.

edit:
You know what, looks like opera only allows trees 1 deep as well. Guess I was misremembering. Alright here's another question then: is there an extension or something that I could enable that would pop-out the Tree Style Tabs bar and scroll through the list if I hold the right mouse button and scroll with the wheel? I installed Fire Gestures and enabled the Wheel Gestures to switch to the previous and next tab for scrolling up and down respectively, but it doesn't seem to pop out the Tree Style Tabs bar reliably.

Stockwell fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 23, 2013

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

WattsvilleBlues posted:

"Load images automatically", "Enable JavaScript", and Always show the tab bar" checkboxes removed from preferences. How can JS be disabled now? Occasionally I want to disable it.
Found this, about :config, javascript.enabled. These settings were removed because they generated a high volume of support requests, mostly from users accidentally setting them, or setting them then forgetting about it.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
:siren:Many tab and session-related add-ons will break in Firefox 25 if not updated:siren:

This includes Tab Mix Plus, Tree Style Tabs, and various IE Tab add-ons. These add-ons will need to be updated by their authors because they use private internal data structures that are being removed in Firefox 25 to improve performance and UI responsiveness. There's some popular add-ons here so hopefully they get updated, but the reduction in lag should be appreciated by everyone.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Alereon posted:

:siren:Many tab and session-related add-ons will break in Firefox 25 if not updated:siren:

This includes Tab Mix Plus, Tree Style Tabs, and various IE Tab add-ons. These add-ons will need to be updated by their authors because they use private internal data structures that are being removed in Firefox 25 to improve performance and UI responsiveness. There's some popular add-ons here so hopefully they get updated, but the reduction in lag should be appreciated by everyone.

Would something like this be in Aurora at the moment? (I'm assuming you meant Firefox 24, it's on the nightly channel now) Some of my extensions that have worked for most versions of Fx for the past few years have poo poo the bed in 23.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Would something like this be in Aurora at the moment? (I'm assuming you meant Firefox 24, it's on the nightly channel now) Some of my extensions that have worked for most versions of Fx for the past few years have poo poo the bed in 23.

I'm running a Firefox 24 (Nightly) build from about a week ago, and I'm not having any problems with Tree Style Tabs or Tab Mix Plus, and both of those are on the affected list.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The changes are expected to land on Nightly after 24 becomes Aurora. It's targeted for Firefox 25 so it won't show up in Aurora for 12 weeks, they're trying to give everyone plenty of time to hear about this and update before add-ons start breaking.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
What the hell happened to scrolling? When I middle click to bring up the scrolling... thing..

Now it seems like Firefox is being utterly pedantic about which element I'm mousing over at the time, and more often than not, that means I cannot loving move the page. This is infuriating, and worked fine before this.

Edit: Maybe it's to do with all-in-one gestures. The thing I found in the first place to make "autoscrolling" work fine. By default in Firefox it sucks. God, give me version 20.

Double edit: What's with this BS lazy loading of tabs? When I restore a session, a tab looks like it has loaded, but doesn't actually bother to load until I select it. That's just stupid. Preload to increase responsiveness!

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 24, 2013

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Make sure that "Don't load tabs until selected" isn't checked in the "Tabs" tab of the options page.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Gerudo Rivera posted:

Make sure that "Don't load tabs until selected" isn't checked in the "Tabs" tab of the options page.

Hah, fair enough. I should have looked for that. Thing is, I could swear that was never set before.

Edit: There was an update for All-in-one Gestures too, specifically to help with scrolling. It didn't automatically update, but that's a problem for another time. I'll see if this helps.

Double edit: Although some pages just flat out don't let me use the scroll wheel. But that was Yet Another Smooth Scrolling. Disabling that fixed that. Hope it gets fixed soon, the default scrolling is not customisable enough.

Triple edit: gently caress it, none of the extensions updated themselves, but manually updating has fixed the problems so far, it seems.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 24, 2013

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Ad block plus question. When I right click some ads, seemingly randomly it will give two options. One is what I would expect, 'ABP image' then a choice of at what level you want to block etc.

Another option it gives me is just "disable element" (no ABP options like I described) which some times doesn't stick and the ad might come back when I load the page again.

Any one know why this is?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Jippa posted:

Ad block plus question. When I right click some ads, seemingly randomly it will give two options. One is what I would expect, 'ABP image' then a choice of at what level you want to block etc.

Another option it gives me is just "disable element" (no ABP options like I described) which some times doesn't stick and the ad might come back when I load the page again.

My guess would be gif ads vs flash ads.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
What is this:

And why am I seeing it instead of a new tab or a restore tabs message after a crash?

This started after upgrading to 21 from 20. I have yet to be able to restore tabs since.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Anyone know where I can get a developer/beta release of LastPass? Won't work properly in 23 at the moment.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Anyone know where I can get a developer/beta release of LastPass? Won't work properly in 23 at the moment.
Their forums say that this is the install page for the LastPass preview release, but that it also isn't working yet in Firefox 23.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
The LastPass guys are terrible with support with anything that isn't considered officially released, and when something does become officially released it can take them a few weeks to fix and release a new LastPass build. It's just one of the things you need to deal with and factor in if you like using beta and alpha browsers. I'm still not even sure if LastPass works with IE10 yet.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Im_Special posted:

The LastPass guys are terrible with support with anything that isn't considered officially released, and when something does become officially released it can take them a few weeks to fix and release a new LastPass build. It's just one of the things you need to deal with and factor in if you like using beta and alpha browsers. I'm still not even sure if LastPass works with IE10 yet.

I wouldn't say they're terrible. Also, using an extension storing all your passwords in buggy alpha / beta browser is not the safest.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

wooger posted:

Also, using an extension storing all your passwords in buggy alpha / beta browser is not the safest.

How so? I've never had a problem with LastPass on Aurora before, and Aurora itself has been pretty stable for me.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Youtube hasn't worked for me since I updated Firefox, videos play and all that, but I can't rate videos, favorite them, comment, anything with interacting with the site itself. What's causing it, apparently nobody else is having this issue.

When I try to rate stuff it says "This feature is not available right now. Please try again later." It's been like this since yesterday morning. I disabled any youtube-related addons and it didn't fix anything, neither did logging out and back in again.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

syscall girl posted:

What is this:

And why am I seeing it instead of a new tab or a restore tabs message after a crash?

This started after upgrading to 21 from 20. I have yet to be able to restore tabs since.

Bump.

Anybody? Is this something that should be really obvious?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Jippa posted:

See if installing the Element Hiding Helper for AdBlock Plus add on will let you tag those more reliably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RGX
Sep 23, 2004
Unstoppable

RGX posted:

I've had this issue for a few months now and it's driving me mad.

When I'm watching an HD video in Firefox (particularly youtube)and it loads quickly as it plays, the video hangs and stutters every now and then while the audio plays fine until its fully loaded. This never used to be a problem in the past and my computer has no issues playing back other HD content.

Just tested with chrome and full HD playback is smooth and uninterrupted while loading. I've used Firefox for years and I really don't want to switch over, but the annoying hangs are really getting on my tits. I've reset my profile and experimented with different combinations of extensions with no joy. Any suggestions?

Still got my stupid loving problem. Switched over to the HTML 5 trial, which essentially broke my player and caused videos to stop loading. Youtube is by far the worst, problem is it's where I watch a lot of my content. As far as I can tell it's a Firefox problem, my computer runs AAA games and plays other HD content with no problem at all. I've run anti-malware scanners, anti-virus programs, everything's clean as a whistle.

Anything else I can try?