Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

In fairness, they did say that they were a transmission shop and not an exhaust shop...

Wait nevermind, here's what they did to the bellhousing:

Those pictures make me want to punch whoever thought that was a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
Conical washers? You don't need those! Oh, the steering feels weird? Don't worry about it!

:negative:

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Shifty Pony posted:

In fairness, they did say that they were a transmission shop and not an exhaust shop...

I don't know welding, but I do know it's not supposed to look like a metal smore, right?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Zemyla posted:

I don't know welding, but I do know it's not supposed to look like a metal smore, right?

Well it is more a matter of when you wring off exhaust bolts connecting the pipe to the manifold/cat, the correct course of action is to contact the customer to let them decide how to proceed (and give an estimate of the cost of new bolts and nuts, ~$14 I think). The solution isn't to just weld the pipe to the manifold and hope nobody notices. This is especially not the correct choice when the transmission front seal leak you were hired to find wasn't actually fixed and your welding the manifold and pipe together makes removing the transmission impossible.

It isn't like anyone would blame you for wringing them off, they normally look like this:

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Those pictures make me want to punch whoever thought that was a good idea.

Imagine what the shop owner is going to do when he sees the photos of what his mechanic did along with this estimate from the dealer to fix it:

:v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That's a few hours with a die grinder and then a few bolts to fix, not new parts... those welds don't look like they even penetrated very well. Should come off easily.

That being said, I'd be crawling up the shop's rear end right now too, they owe you at the very least a full refund, probably more. As long as they didn't mangle the bellhousing and engine block any more than is shown in the pictures, that should be fine too, but again, gently caress those guys.

e: 2k in labor? Holy hell. I need to open a shop.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

That's supposed to be there, right?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Krakkles posted:

Holy five-syllable-Jesus

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Krakkles posted:

That must have sounded delightful :getin:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

new power steering/abc pump on a W220.
Blowing O rings like mad, no one knows why.

Idiot marred the surface for the abc output.

This combo pump is hands down the worst thing I've ever removed. had to dislocate my wrists to get to all the stupid security bolts.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

kastein posted:

That's a few hours with a die grinder and then a few bolts to fix, not new parts... those welds don't look like they even penetrated very well. Should come off easily.

That being said, I'd be crawling up the shop's rear end right now too, they owe you at the very least a full refund, probably more. As long as they didn't mangle the bellhousing and engine block any more than is shown in the pictures, that should be fine too, but again, gently caress those guys.

e: 2k in labor? Holy hell. I need to open a shop.

Yeah if I had bought a used car with that done to it I wouldn't bother replacing parts, besides the two missing exhaust brackets which I would probably pull from a junkyard if possible. Worst case I'd pay my local mechanic to just grind it back to "good enough". But if a shop hosed it up and and tried to stall for more time when I started asking questions about why it would suddenly take 10 more days for them to look at the vehicle? Yeah... gently caress them they are paying dealer prices to return it to 100% factory.

My understanding is that they initially claimed to have not worked on the vehicle at all and something came up at the shop to cause a delay in getting to the car. That led to the vehicle being picked up and taken to another shop who discovered the whatever you want to call that. Best we can figure they worked on it and did that, only to find that the leak remained and they were going to have to undo their fuckup.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Security bolts have no place in an engine bay. What the gently caress.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Shifty Pony posted:

Yeah if I had bought a used car with that done to it I wouldn't bother replacing parts, besides the two missing exhaust brackets which I would probably pull from a junkyard if possible. Worst case I'd pay my local mechanic to just grind it back to "good enough". But if a shop hosed it up and and tried to stall for more time when I started asking questions about why it would suddenly take 10 more days for them to look at the vehicle? Yeah... gently caress them they are paying dealer prices to return it to 100% factory.

My understanding is that they initially claimed to have not worked on the vehicle at all and something came up at the shop to cause a delay in getting to the car. That led to the vehicle being picked up and taken to another shop who discovered the whatever you want to call that. Best we can figure they worked on it and did that, only to find that the leak remained and they were going to have to undo their fuckup.

wow, they lied to you too?

gently caress them, I agree, dealer rates and new parts it is.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
Symptom: Brake pedal goes to the floor at traffic lights. I assume master cylinder. But I decided to check for leaks real quick before I dove in.

Yup.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

0toShifty posted:

Symptom: Brake pedal goes to the floor at traffic lights. I assume master cylinder. But I decided to check for leaks real quick before I dove in.

Yup.

:drat: You best be replacin' all 4.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Brake hose acne.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Brake hose acne.

I was thinking cold sores or other undefined buboes. But drat, eh? I can't remember if I took a photo of the front hose from the VW. I saw cracks when I moved it a bit so I ordered new hoses and replaced them. Out of curiosity I snapped the hose in half.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
A little while ago I brought my '02 Focus to a shop for 2 wheel bearings and a reverse light sensor, drove out of there and the car was absurdly loving loud, I popped the hood and the airbox/intake was completely absent from the car - just raw throttle body. There was also a crowbar wedged in the side of the engine bay. So I start limping it back to the shop and my brakes start slipping bad. I got it back to the shop and there was CV boot grease everywhere, all up in my brakes etc - boot was all torn up. The shop was just closing up and would't be open over the Holiday weekend. I was able to get my air intake back (just sitting on their shop floor) and I ended up having to get pretty angry at the manager for them to refund me for all labor. I still paid for the wheel bearings/sensor however. I ended up replacing my CV halfshaft myself and throwing the intake back on, but the car never ran the same after that, vaccum leak, rough idle etc. I ended up selling it since I had way too much invested in a rusty ford econobox. Last time I ever had a (non-dealer) shop do any work.

I now have rent a 2 car garage and plan on renting a shop with a lift soon.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Voltage posted:

I now have rent a 2 car garage and plan on renting a shop with a lift soon.

Next time I move, it's gonna be to a house big enough I can install my own goddamn lift. They're not as expensive as I thought.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Figured out why its blowing O rings!
The fucknut that installed the pump crossthreaded the drat banjo bolt. 6 different stores and nobody has a M16x1.5 tap. :suicide:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

EightBit posted:

That must have sounded delightful :getin:
Pretty much:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k_9Ty664tg

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Sounds like every Detroit Diesel I've ever heard.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Sounds *exactly* like my buddies CV he just bought. Put about 850 miles on it and it started making that noise. New engine is already on the way and the old engine is already out. I'll see if I can't convince him to take the bottom end apart for some pics.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
This is a big break...

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

mutt2jeff posted:

This is a big break...

It took me a second on the first pic to see the foot :stare: What's it from?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Holy gently caress :eyepop:

That is NOT a small axle. Appears to be in some sort of caterpillar tracked construction equipment? A very large crane, perhaps?

What material is that, regular alloy steel? 1541H? 4130? 4140? 4340? 4340-300M?

Whatever it is, I am amazed by that breaking... just not sure how amazed I should be.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Some local excitement from last Monday

Thankfully no serious injuries

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Its supposedly off a mining shovel.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

kastein posted:

That is NOT a small axle. Appears to be in some sort of caterpillar tracked construction equipment? A very large crane, perhaps?

Whatever it is, I am amazed by that breaking... just not sure how amazed I should be.

That looks really well made. No undercuts, polished, at first I was like what the hell it didn't break at a spline? ...ohhh

Given the thickness and brightness of the finish I am guessing a through hardening steel 4XXX alloy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

kastein posted:

What I want to know is how much torque it took to do that...

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

CommieGIR posted:

What I want to know is how much torque it took to do that...

All the torque. It took all of the torque to do that. :science:

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Crosspost from Subaru thread. I'm sure some mechanics have seen worse but this is pretty bad. 2008 Legacy.

It did it's job so I guess it's not a failure?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Sten Freak posted:

Crosspost from Subaru thread. I'm sure some mechanics have seen worse but this is pretty bad. 2008 Legacy.

It did it's job so I guess it's not a failure?

Looks like it filtered a cat, and the lawn clippings.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
Those shop horrors have me nervous now. My GTP is going in next week for a new tranny. Its a reputable shop but I still hate handing my precious over to strangers, especially for something big like a tranny swap. I pray I don't find any jacked up bullshit like that welded up exhaust.

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log
This isn't exactly a picture, but when I saw this, I thought of no better home for it than here; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfNq8uPIQ1k&t=50s

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That's not the failure I was looking for.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Those shop horrors have me nervous now. My GTP is going in next week for a new tranny. Its a reputable shop but I still hate handing my precious over to strangers, especially for something big like a tranny swap. I pray I don't find any jacked up bullshit like that welded up exhaust.

Oh it gets better. Upon getting the trans out the actual good shop found out why the first shop's repair failed: they put the front seal in backwards.

One of the worst parts of moving to a new city is re-establishing your network of trusted mechanics. The good ones don't advertise because they don't have to.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Shifty Pony posted:

Oh it gets better. Upon getting the trans out the actual good shop found out why the first shop's repair failed: they put the front seal in backwards.

One of the worst parts of moving to a new city is re-establishing your network of trusted mechanics. The good ones don't advertise because they don't have to.

Hmmmmmm...

Shifty Pony posted:

Wait nevermind, here's what they did to the bellhousing:

... I guess not.

What kind of loving moron does ANY of what they just did? Wow. I expect better work than that from a 'my exes brothers dog-sitters cousin who knows something about cars' type mechanic.

If you aren't pursuing legal action against them, what's the name of the shop so no one else goes there? That's just terrible.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It's not libel if it's true.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...