Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
I vote we replace Jalitha time with Dad time. Not Jorah or ocean time though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Flame112 posted:

I agree with this +1 for me.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Ask our father if he would consent to us taking every seventh day off, if we swear to being studious from now on. Everyone wins here, if he takes it.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Flame112 posted:

Even though dad's a violent coward that beats people a lot, I vote this. We need to learn our poo poo so we can protect our people.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

Ask our father if he would consent to us taking every seventh day off, if we swear to being studious from now on. Everyone wins here, if he takes it.

I love this idea

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Diogines posted:

DO YOU RE-PRIORITIZE YOUR TIME TO TAKE YOUR FATHERS LESSONS MORE SERIOUSLY?
A. Yes. I don't mind if we ask or if Shushan allows a day of rest from our studies.

Diogines posted:

"Asherah does not care for the prosperity or suffering of our people, except that we obey his commandments. The rituals you will learn when you are a man, shall be those things most pleasing to Asherah, my son."
Assuming most voters wish to invest Og's time and effort in the village of Athar (and not elsewhere), we should go along with our father Shushem's upbringing to become the High Priest of Athar. If we decide Asherah is real or not, that will be for us as High Priest to gradually change the hearts of the villagers or not. Reason being, Shushem and the so-called Asherah have no intentions of seeing Athar grow or prosper.

I hope you are catching up on Diogines' sentiment that Athar and her peoples are very primitive and see it content to stay that way for generation after generation. If that's something you would like to see continue, go vote that way, but Og has been given one life to influence this world. I urge you voters to use Og's time and effort wisely to the prosperity of their village and the land. Education, culture, influence, power, commerce, renown, diplomacy or whatever you desire for Og, please realize that studying the ways of Asherah will bring us to a seat of influence among the people of Athar, but Asherah the fish may eventually become the stumbling block on the way to our eventual goal. I vote to study to become the best High Priest Og can, if only to claim that seat of power to his own.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

You take another snail from the rocks and drop it into the bag. "Father" you say. "I... I am sorry I have not been mindful of your lessons. I didn't realize how important...." He sighs and holds out his arms to hug you "That is all I ever wanted, my son."

In the weeks to follow, you cease to neglect your lessons. You spend a majority of your time either with your father, or seeing to the tasks which he has given to you, many of which involve collecting shells, snails, plants and other things he needs for his rituals from the edge of the water.

Each plant, each fish, each snail and each shell has a purpose critical for a sacred task used to appease Asherah.

You learn more of the sacred stories of your people. Your father continues to hit you when you make mistakes, but incidents of praise are more common when you perform a difficult task, perfectly. As the months go by, your father even has you grind a few of the plants and shells into the sacred powders he will need.

A year passes.

You are now eleven and still growing quickly for your age. You have not learned to predict the weather by reading the tides, nor have you learned to tell the future by reading the objects the sea has discarded in the surf, but you have learned to make some of the most basic powders your father uses for his rituals, nor is there any indication you are going to learn to use any of them for years. You are still a child and it may be many years till you learn such.

It is noon and most of the men of the village are out fishing. You are on the beach with your father. He is sitting at the edge of the surf, his legs crossed, eyes closed and he seems to be concentrating. You are combing the beach for orange starfish while reciting the latest story your father taught you, that of Amal the Moonfish Amal. Your uncle Pagam is runnig towards you, a fishing spear in one hand as he yells "SHUSHEM! There are outsiders in the village! Come quickly!"

Your father remains seated for a few moments, his eyes still closed as the waves gently wash over him, then stands and the three of you run back to the village. You see four other men from the village, Mopo, Kikar, Mavar and Selk holding fishing spears out at the group of outsiders, shouting as they jab the spears suggestively in the direction of the outsiders and shouting at them to leave.

There seem to be fourteen of the outsiders, twelve men, a woman and a child who looks to be about 8. Each of the men are tall and have light skin. Like Jalitha. They are wearing much more clothing than your people wear.

Each of the men has a spear in one hand with a a spear tip which seems to shine in the sun as if it was made of water. One of the outsiders is holding his hands out, palms open, even as a spear is jabbed suggestively in his direction and is saying something but you are having trouble hearing it over the shouts of your people.

Behind the outsiders, are a number of monsters! They have four legs and are very hairy and seem to have bags, clay pots and baskets coming out of their backs!

YOU...

OPTION A Run and fetch your fishing spear! You may have to fight! You are eleven now, it is your duty to defend the village!
OPTION B Run for your life and hide from the outsiders and their monsters!
OPTION C Tell your father you will translate, he will be so proud of you!
OPTION D Run and fetch Jalitha and hope she can translate!
OPTION E Stand quietly and let your father deal with these outsiders.
OPTION F Run and fetch Jalitha, tell her she is being rescued and it's time to escape!
OPTION G Run to fetch more men from the fishing boats!
OPTION H Hold the Gate.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 26, 2013

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

OhYo posted:

A. Yes. I don't mind if we ask or if Shushan allows a day of rest from our studies.

Assuming most voters wish to invest Og's time and effort in the village of Athar (and not elsewhere), we should go along with our father Shushem's upbringing to become the High Priest of Athar. If we decide Asherah is real or not, that will be for us as High Priest to gradually change the hearts of the villagers or not. Reason being, Shushem and the so-called Asherah have no intentions of seeing Athar grow or prosper.

I hope you are catching up on Diogines' sentiment that Athar and her peoples are very primitive and see it content to stay that way for generation after generation. If that's something you would like to see continue, go vote that way, but Og has been given one life to influence this world. I urge you voters to use Og's time and effort wisely to the prosperity of their village and the land. Education, culture, influence, power, commerce, renown, diplomacy or whatever you desire for Og, please realize that studying the ways of Asherah will bring us to a seat of influence among the people of Athar, but Asherah the fish may eventually become the stumbling block on the way to our eventual goal. I vote to study to become the best High Priest Og can, if only to claim that seat of power to his own.

I have a feeling that if we won't go to the party, Diogines will bring the party to us, probably some disaster which will disrupt the status quo and force us to travel the world.

e: welp, here's the party... D Changed vote.

ConfusedPig fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 26, 2013

Althair
Jul 26, 2006
words are weapons
D Say to our people "Don't fight! I will fetch Jalitha that she may tell them our wishes!"

If we have learned enough words say to the outsiders in Jalitha's tongue as we depart "Peace! Wait! Don't fight! I will return!"

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Option C WE GOT THIS

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

D, fetch Jalitha

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.
I think but yes, we should definitely say that we are going to get Jalitha in case somebody needs to stop us for some reason.
Maybe Dad can talk to them.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Do something useful.

Changed vote

my dad fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 26, 2013

Christina Arugula
Aug 10, 2004
How do you like your lawn? Broiled or charred?
Ramrod XTreme
D tell our people we will get Jalitha to translate.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

C We got this. Even though there's no indication at all that we will understand their language.

Changed vote.

Did we ever ask to Jalitha if she remembers how she got here. I know Father said that she appeared on the shore one day, but what's the story from her side?

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 26, 2013

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

<Diog> Are you sure you dont want to hold the gate? Or throw yourself on their spears, incase they are magical spears that grant supernatural powers if you voluntarily jump on them?

We've seen the great power these foreigners hold over the hellbeasts of the great beyond, surely they will reward us for our speedy surrender H :v:

Let's let Dad do his job. If he happens to get a spear in the neck well that tells us a lot about the level of protection Asherah will be granting us in the future. If he thinks it's a good idea he will call for Jathila.

Having potentially taught Jathila our language Dad probably speaks more of her language than anyone in the village. Also parading our slave around in front of a bunch of heavily armed like-raced people is probably a fast track to getting our village slaughtered. Hey maybe everyone else is killed and Jathila pleads for our and Jorah's life and then we start the Baitel chapter!

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 26, 2013

cxp
Mar 27, 2010
Fun Shoe

Althair posted:

D Say to our people "Don't fight! I will fetch Jalitha that she may tell them our wishes!"

If we have learned enough words say to the outsiders in Jalitha's tongue as we depart "Peace! Wait! Don't fight! I will return!"

I like this, despite not being sure that 11 year old us will be listened to. Voting D

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

:siren:Vote Change! See new post.:siren:

Soylent Pudding fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 27, 2013

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
You know, even though I voted D, I have the feeling that the right option is the one that doesn't have an exclamation mark at the end. (And it's not HOLD THE GATE)

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Quickly tell our dad we're going to do , then do .

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

E

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

It's probably wiser to let dad handle it and only do something if he instructs us to.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

It's probably wiser to let dad handle it and only do something if he instructs us to.

Yeah. Changed my vote as well.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
E

It is likely that Jalitha will be here soon enough. Let's how the language thing goes before we offer to mistranslate 'we come in peace' as 'we come to piss on you'. Are there other people our age or younger present? If so, can we try to delegate the Jalitha task? :)

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
E. I am going with the response without an exclamation mark. It is time to stop acting like a child.

Janac
May 12, 2010
E, let dad handle this. He can ask us to fetch Jalitha if it's needed.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

D

We might anger the outsiders with Jalitha though, so first ask father if he wants us to get Jalitha, to help translate.

edit: Changing my vote to E

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 27, 2013

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
What the hell is dad going to do? He doesn't speak their language. The only sane answer is D. When did everyone get on the dad train?

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

How do we know what languages Dad speaks? As the leader of this village it makes sense for Dad to make a judgement call, if he wants Jalitha to translate and potentially have her come out and tell these people to kill every one of us he can do that. Undermining his position is just a bad move.

We've also spent the last year doing what Dad tells us and generally being less of a gently caress-up in his eyes so it also makes sense that we'd look to him first.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 26, 2013

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

A and D. Yah we should try diplomacy, but hey, sometimes you gotta stab a dude with a fishing spear.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Diogenes posted:

There seem to be 14 of the outsiders, 12 men, a woman and a child who looks to be about 8. Each of the men are tall and have light skin. Like Jalitha. They are wearing much more clothing than your people wear.

I think you mean lots of the outsiders :smug:

In all seriousness though, D

baby picture
Aug 7, 2004

I wish I could press a button and a rope would instantly tie around my ankle and I would be hung out of the highest window of the highest skyscraper in the world

Pththya-lyi posted:

Exactly this.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Pththya-lyi posted:

Yes,, this.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Resist the lure of exclamation marx! It's the slippery slope to communism!

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Not C - I don't think we know the language well enough, and would gently caress poo poo up if we tried.

QUESTION! Diogenes, can we do an alternate choice and Suggest to Dad that we make Jalitha translate?

(Also still wondering why my questions were skipped earlier... :( )

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
When in doubt follow the chain of command! Our god won't let father die until we are ready to be high priest - he can handle a few monsters and outsiders no problem. Plus the outsiders don't know we can kind of understand them, we might learn something dad can use if they are speaking in confidence to one another . Also seeing one of their own as a slave may not rub them the right way.

I voted incorrectly while on my phone! Sorry counters!

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 27, 2013

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

OrangeOrbit
Apr 27, 2008
Fun Shoe
I think E . If he fucks up, Jalitha will still save us I'm sure.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

C

Dad doesn't trust Jalitha. If she starts talking to these strangers in her native language, he's going to assume witchery is afoot.
We likely know enough to get the gist of what they want and go from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

the_steve posted:

C

Dad doesn't trust Jalitha. If she starts talking to these strangers in her native language, he's going to assume witchery is afoot.
We likely know enough to get the gist of what they want and go from there.

You're right that dad doesn't trust her, but we're likely to get another beating if we suggest this.