Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
OPTION D Run and fetch Jalitha and hope she can translate!

Yell to our dad what we are going to do, don't wait for a response from him though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006
I'm not sure calling attention to Jalitha is the best plan right now, but I really can't think of anything better. D.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Guys, I really think we should leave this first contact scenario to the people who know the most about, well, everything, namely our Dad and Uncles.

I don't really think it's going to be a good idea if we let one of the first things this more heavily armed, advanced, and probably warlike culture see is one of their own people who has been enslaved and abused by us?

Option E; "Dad, they look like Jalitha"

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
A They have clay pots and are gesturing in a non-threatening manner! We must be prepared for the worst!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

: Lets hope she's not mad and vengeful about being kept as a slave!

-

:siren: Link to Update

Paradise Lost Table of Contents | Wiki | Judah Thread | Mid-Game Recap | The Museum of Enkidel | World Map |

Come join us in IRC! - #madgod on irc.synirc.net or in Discord!

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 8, 2020

kalam
Oct 30, 2010
E.

We can't let Jalitha handle the situation and Dad probably doesn't know we can translate. Even if the situation goes badly for the village, we can pray to Asherah.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

E here. But mention the idea of Jalitha translating to him.

We don't even know if Jalitha can translate. She might be from their culture, she might not.

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.
F, let's get out of Shitstown while we've got the chance imo.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

When in doubt follow the chain of command! Our god won't let father die until we are ready to be high priest - he can handle a few monsters and outsiders no problem. Plus the outsiders don't know we can kind of understand them, we might learn something dad can use if they are speaking in confidence to one another . Also seeing one of their own as a slave may not rub them the right way.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
Suggest that they dont look like they want to fight but are rather scared. Also suggest that the look like Jalitha. Maybe she knows what they want.

But just go with anything he says. A suggestion is only a suggestion.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

EVG posted:

QUESTION! Diogenes, can we do an alternate choice and Suggest to Dad that we make Jalitha translate?

maxhush posted:

"Dad, they look like Jalitha"
ONLY IF the situation arises that our father harkens to our voice, we suggest anything about Jalitha. He probably already knows so best shut up for now. I know we're a kid, but an 11 year old knows enough not to just scamper off and ignore their father, especially one responsible enough to say: "Father" you say. "I... I am sorry I have not been mindful of your lessons. I didn't realize how important...."

Please consider changing your vote to E. and try for a patient answer.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
F

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Changing my vote from D.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

OhYo posted:

ONLY IF the situation arises that our father harkens to our voice, we suggest anything about Jalitha. He probably already knows so best shut up for now. I know we're a kid, but an 11 year old knows enough not to just scamper off and ignore their father, especially one responsible enough to say: "Father" you say. "I... I am sorry I have not been mindful of your lessons. I didn't realize how important...."

In the time it will take us to get Jalitha, Father can do what he needs to do, and we'll have Jalitha on standby. It's unlikely that Father will ask what we think, he doesn't trust us with the knowledge of how to perform the rituals, let alone diffusing a potential diplomatic crisis. We can go get Jalitha, come back, and if Father was successful, hey, that's great, if not, we have Jalitha to translate.

Vote for "D" and get the best of both worlds.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Uh, wouldn't seeing one of their own as a slave provoke the outsiders? Maybe we should just hang back on this one.

E

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Globofglob
Jan 14, 2008
E, but ask father if we should translate. Only get Jalitha if we can't and he still needs a translator.

Globofglob fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 27, 2013

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
Not E.

Outsiders are virtually unheard of in our village. Dad knows just as much about intertribal conflict resolution as we do, which is to say, bugger all.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

OhYo posted:

Please consider changing your vote to E. and try for a patient answer.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

We're a kid. Let the adults handle it. If we start butting in unasked it will make dad look bad in front of the strangers.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
G. Start praying to Asherah quietly.

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007
Hold the gatE.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Voting G. if we are in the stone age, then this is a very , very serious threat to the village. We need to raise the biggest stink we can and show these foreign invaders that they new to leave ASAP. Also our father needs back up because he is going to get speared right off the bat when he tries to scare off the invaders on his own. Dead dad equals panicked village equals destruction, rape, pillage and slavery. Our fish god isn't raising up from the deep to wash them away. This is red alert.
also comedy vote H.old the gate because I'm still holding it out there.

Kyyp
Jan 14, 2007

Going with E. We're 11 years old. Leave this to the adults.

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
E

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
Meta vote for on the off chance that they kill dad. :)

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum
Voting D.

doritto
May 12, 2013

OPTION E Stand quietly and let your father deal with these outsiders.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
D

Callipygian Weasel
Apr 2, 2010

by Lowtax
. Knowing what the heck they want would be nice.

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

I selflessly rescued an abandoned cat during the COVID-19 Pandemic :3:

As much as getting jalitha could help, it might also cause some trouble.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Tudhalias
Sep 7, 2009
Control the flow of information!

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Don't be too hasty.

DCBomB
Sep 14, 2008

Why not C? The worst that would happen is dad hits us, then E happens anyway.

Would this modification to C make it better?

C: Tell your father you can translate, he might be proud of you!

Fuggit, lets make poo poo real

DCBomB fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 27, 2013

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
We are 11 years old, I am pretty sure it is going to look bad for our village and our father if we act as a mediator between him and the foreigners.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
Yeah, playing cautious for the time being and voting E: We should ask Father if we should fetch Jalitha to translate, but we don't even know yet if, perhaps, Father can translate just fine himself, and bringing in Jalitha could cause more problems than it solves.

Also, do we have any indication that we even could translate ourself? Did I miss the bit where Jalitha taught us her language?

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

During our six year time skip.

Page 19 update posted:

From Jalitha you learned scraps of her tongue and limited bits of knowledge of lands far to the north of you and of their beliefs.

We aren't anywhere near fluent and probably lost some of that as we spent the last year pretty much with Dad exclusively or we were out doing things for him.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 27, 2013

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Theglavwen posted:

Yeah, playing cautious for the time being and voting E: We should ask Father if we should fetch Jalitha to translate, but we don't even know yet if, perhaps, Father can translate just fine himself, and bringing in Jalitha could cause more problems than it solves.

Also, do we have any indication that we even could translate ourself? Did I miss the bit where Jalitha taught us her language?

Due to spending time with her we learned some words from her language, but not enough to be fluent. I forget the exact quote, but it showed up in diog's update where he covered who we listed the amount of time we spent with people/being alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
Ah, gotcha. Yeah, doesn't really sound like we're fluent enough to do anything but make an rear end of ourself though. I suppose we might just be overcome with the chance to prove our worth, but I don't think we've gotten to impression that jumping up and brazenly bungling into things is the way to impress our Dad. Or the way to do anything but get smacked, really.