Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I liked Rithmatist too. Had some nice turns in it, the mystery is interesting enough, same with the magic system (Pro-Starcraft with some Dota). Could use a bit more description of the world outside the school, but it's only part 1 after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Wolpertinger posted:

- and in the end surprisingly dark. The wild chalklings being vague nightmareish monster-scribbles that crawl along the floor and get into your skin and devour you alive ends up working a lot better than I thought when I heard of 'drawn chalk monsters'

I didn't really know what to think when I first heard that, but if it works, I'll buy it. The lady reads a fair bit of YA stuff on the train, and usually bums my kindle for it, so at least one of us will like it.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I just bought The Way of Kings on a whim. I've never read any Sanderson, or Wheel of Time, or really any fantasy for that matter other than the first half of the first Game of Thrones book. A friend recommended it to me and I said what the hell and picked it up. I've never read a book this long :ohdear:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You probably should have bought Mistborn first!

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Ah drat, will I be missing out on things if I don't buy that?

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

bowmore posted:

You probably should have bought Mistborn first!

Yeah, I agree. Mistborn probably would have been a better choice for you, as far as introductions to Sanderson/fantasy go. That trilogy is actually finished, the 3 books are a bit less intimidating than Way of Kings, and it's a very good series. Maybe give that a shot first?

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Nah don't worry, the books are set in two different universes, you won't miss anything.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Nope! But Mistborn is a lot easier to get into and a lot less intimidating if your not a big fantasy reader.

Mistborn is the best introduction to Sanderson IMO.

bowmore fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 27, 2013

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Adnor posted:

Nah don't worry, the books are set in two different universes, you won't miss anything.

Look at this scrub who doesn't know about the Cosmere :smug:

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

quiggy posted:

Look at this scrub who doesn't know about the Cosmere :smug:

No, I know about the cosmere, but I didn't want to scare him!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Finish WOK, then get his short story The Emporer's Soul. :cheers:

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Haha now I don't even know what to do. I think I'm going to give WOK a shot, see how that goes, and if I find it too overwhelming I'll give Mistborn a shot.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Good plan, I like the cut of your jib kid.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Haha now I don't even know what to do. I think I'm going to give WOK a shot, see how that goes, and if I find it too overwhelming I'll give Mistborn a shot.

Or you can try warbreaker for free.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Warbreaker is OK, but I don't think it's really fair to judge whether or not you'll like Sanderson based on it - he released it for free for a reason. Mistborn is what put his name out in a big way, so I'd start with that. Starting with Warbreaker is kinda like starting Robert Jordan with one of his Conan books in my opinion, or telling someone who wants to start reading Jim Butcher that Codex Alera is the place to start - yeah, they aren't bad books (well I've never read Jordan's Conan books, but I'm assuming), but to really get a good start they should really be starting with Eye of the World or a semi-early Dresden book.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Don't let anyone scare you. Do it in any order you want, just know that 90% of his stories are in a shared universe and that while WoK does have the most references to this than his previous works (mainly the Epigraphs in part 2 and the search party that fisherman talks to one of the first interludes), it's not a sizable barrier to entry... yet. Just try to fit some of his other works in (most notably, the Mistborn trilogy) before Words of Radiance comes out in *mumble*

Then you should probably check the Coppermind wiki to figure out what the hell Shards are and then work backwards from there.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I really liked Warbreaker :shobon:

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
Warbreaker was my first Sanderson novel (and I only read it because it was free on his website) and it got me into all his stuff, so I don't know what you're talking about.

Don't listen to these people telling you how to min-max a goddamn fantasy author's work. Read The Way of Kings, it's awesome.

This Post Sucks
Dec 27, 2004

It Gave Me Splinters!
Warbreaker was really good but I got it ruined for me cause I listened to it audiobook and the narrator sounded like Keanu Reeves in Point Break.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Popular Human posted:

Warbreaker was my first Sanderson novel (and I only read it because it was free on his website) and it got me into all his stuff, so I don't know what you're talking about.

Yeah, the big reason he released it for free was A) to prove that "Try Before You Buy" actually works & B) to see how beneficial a larger beta reader audience would be, neither of which had any negative impact on the quality of the work itself.

Besides, if you call Lightsong a bad character I will cut you.

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 28, 2013

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

404GoonNotFound posted:

Yeah, the big reason he released it for free was A) to prove that "Try Before You Buy" actually works & B) to see how beneficial a larger beta reader audience would be, neither of which had any negative impact on the quality of the work itself.

Besides, if you call Lightsong a bad character I will cut you.

I love Lightsong. He's the wit that all other Sanderson's witty characters wish they could be.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Has anyone else read A House of Ashes? It's the freebie licensed novella given away with the mistborn RPG, and it's hilariously bad. I just finished it, and feel like I have to share the pain.

Apparently Crafty Games isn't giving it away for free anymore. Would putting up a couple pages from it count as :filez:?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Yep, it's terrible. I was planning on doing a write up of the collection when I was done my F&F write up of the game.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Popular Human posted:

I liked Warbreaker, but it was the Mistborn sample chapters that hooked me.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I never did get around to reading that thing (House of Ashes) even though I preordered the RPG and so got it like two years ago.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

I never did get around to reading that thing (House of Ashes) even though I preordered the RPG and so got it like two years ago.

Be glad. The only thing worse than the fiction is the RPG. I'm honestly sad I preordered it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

NinjaDebugger posted:

Be glad. The only thing worse than the fiction is the RPG. I'm honestly sad I preordered it.

I disagree, the RPG is way better than House of Ashes.

Here's a five-page chapter from it. It's... well, the combat only really makes sense with Benny Hill playing in the background. These Hazekillers make Team Rocket seem like Solid Snake.

I particularly like the fact that their master strategy is literally dragging the mistborn down with the weight of their dead.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 3, 2013

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Dunno where all the hate for The Rhitmatist comes from, I found it a very fun read. Maybe I have an easier time because English is not my native language.
The only bad thing about it, is the fact that we have to wait for the next book .... I once swore to myself to never start unfinished series again... I keep breaking that rule time and time again.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I read the Emperor's Soul last night. Short, sweet, and quite awesome.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
The magic system stuff from Rithmatist

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

Nitpicking time! By the scale in that map, the UIA is 1200 miles across. The USA is around 3000 miles wide. It doesn't even make any sense if you consider the smaller squares as 50 miles each.

Edit: Loved the book, though. The plot twists were pretty easy to anticipate, but it's a great example of (relatively standard) YA fantasy, and I'm looking forward to the next one.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

The Rithmatist Earth could be smaller.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

I'm so glad he did this, because it's not exactly easy to understand what the characters are talking about when they're discussing complex geography, so actually seeing the Jordan defence was nice.

It's too bad most of his magic systems couldn't be explained through diagram, because it's super effective, and probably cut down on the boring explainy bits a lot.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Most of these were in the ebook version I got from Amazon, where they not in all versions?

Dake Darkstalker
Mar 11, 2013
I enjoyed Rithmatist. Granted I like most everything he writes.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Those diagrams were on my kindle, but since it's one of the old original versions I can't blow it up in detail to look at them clearly. I can get the gist of what's going on, but it's not as easy as it is on that site.

I had the same problem with the drawings in WoK. Cool pictures, unreadable words.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Democratic Pirate posted:

I had the same problem with the drawings in WoK. Cool pictures, unreadable words.

Doesn't help that some of them are in an invented alphabet.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Is Rithmatist supposed to exist on an alternate earth or is that island chain just based off of US geography?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Is Rithmatist supposed to exist on an alternate earth or is that island chain just based off of US geography?

Alternative Earth with alternative geography. Europe for example was conquered by a unspecified Asian alliance (Joseun) a few hundred years ago, the Aztecs still have their Empire and the USA remained British - or better said together with Canada became more or less Britain after Europe as lost to the Joseun. It also is a big region of islands, which were nearly completely uninhabited (as something has killed off or driven off all Natives) when the Europeans arrived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Decius posted:

Alternative Earth with alternative geography. Europe for example was conquered by a unspecified Asian alliance (Joseun) a few hundred years ago, the Aztecs still have their Empire and the USA remained British - or better said together with Canada became more or less Britain after Europe as lost to the Joseun. It also is a big region of islands, which were nearly completely uninhabited (as something has killed off or driven off all Natives) when the Europeans arrived.

Joseun is the Korea Empire, which apparently allied with the Mongols and took over Europe.