Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

pixie delights posted:

Oh, this. Had I known the GD test was going to cost me $200(even with insurance!), I would have actually spent some time debating having it done. That was a pretty upsetting bill to open up.

I was due 4 days ago, and it's getting really difficult to stay upbeat and positive. Baby seems to be doing great, so I can't complain there, but I sure am getting sick of everyone asking me "uh-oh, no baby yet?" when they can clearly see I am still a huge pregnant whale, and "when are you getting induced?". Everyone seems flabbergasted when I tell them I have no intention of being induced unless baby is in trouble.

I am finding it more and more difficult to grin and bear everyone's(well-intentioned but aggravating) remarks. Any advice on keeping cool?

Blah, I didn't give birth until 42 weeks so I feel your pain. Honestly I was so grumpy I just mostly stayed home and didn't talk to people ;p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol

pixie delights posted:

Oh, this. Had I known the GD test was going to cost me $200(even with insurance!), I would have actually spent some time debating having it done. That was a pretty upsetting bill to open up.

I was due 4 days ago, and it's getting really difficult to stay upbeat and positive. Baby seems to be doing great, so I can't complain there, but I sure am getting sick of everyone asking me "uh-oh, no baby yet?" when they can clearly see I am still a huge pregnant whale, and "when are you getting induced?". Everyone seems flabbergasted when I tell them I have no intention of being induced unless baby is in trouble.

I am finding it more and more difficult to grin and bear everyone's(well-intentioned but aggravating) remarks. Any advice on keeping cool?

Turn off the phone, stay away from the Internet, and stay away from the windows. Lol

I was 3 days over, we induced because our doc won't go over 7 days, and I wanted to hurt people. Bless you both for going that long.

pixie delights
Mar 31, 2005
oy.
I did decide to start my maternity leave yesterday. I was planning on working til the baby came, but my feet were killing me, and I was getting too close to blowing up at coworkers/patients for asking me those kind of questions over and over and over. I'm just hoping he decides to come out soon! Patience is not a virtue I possess.

lorabel
Apr 4, 2013

I've been following these threads because we're planning on having our first sometime soon (possibly going to start trying next year) and I had to go reading a bunch of articles about eye genetics when it was brought up here because I was so curious. I have a lot of blue-eyed people in my family and some brown-eyed, same with my partner's family. We also have a couple of red-haired family members each and I've been wondering about my chances of having a redhead kid. Genetics are fun!

quote:

Genetics is complicated by the fact that genes don't always stay the same. What we learned in biology class would be true if genes were set in stone. However, genes can and do change from generation to generation (and even within the same person).

But how can one gene turn into another gene? For example, how can a blue eye gene turn into a brown eye gene?

They can because genes for things like blue and brown eyes are very, very similar. In fact, they are really just different versions of the same gene.

Remember, genes are written in a code made up of 4 letters, A, G, C, and T. Changing one letter can be the difference between a blue and a brown eye version of a gene. So, to turn a blue eye gene into a brown eye gene, you may only need to change a single letter.

How can this happen? Lots of ways. We'll only talk briefly about two.

A letter can get changed when our DNA gets copied. As we grow, develop, and maintain ourselves, our DNA gets copied over and over and over. (Remember, for example, we all started out as a single cell and now are made up of 50 or 100 trillion cells.)

Our DNA copying machinery is nearly perfect but it still will make an occasional mistake. If that mistake happens in sperm or egg cells, it will get passed on. And if the change is in the right place in the blue eye gene, blue-eyed parents can now have a brown-eyed child.

http://genetics.thetech.org/ask/ask101

Also, I had really blonde hair as a kid and it turned a dark brown when I became a teenager. What's with that? Google time.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

lorabel posted:

Also, I had really blonde hair as a kid and it turned a dark brown when I became a teenager. What's with that? Google time.

Oooh, post the results if you find them, my husband also had whiteblond hair his entire childhood that turned dark brown/black in his teens.
If our kid somehow manages to find a pair of brown eyes in our genetic heritage, we'll look like kidnappers - a dark-haired blue-eyed couple with a blonde brown-eyed daughter.

lorabel
Apr 4, 2013

Well I found the answer!

quote:

People learn in school that hair color, like eye color, is determined by genes. Many think that everyone has one hair color gene, but that's not the case. Each person has several genes that determine his or her hair color, and different genes are active at different stages in that individual's life, resulting in changes in hair color. Our genes determine the level of pigmentation present in our hair (not to mention our eyes and skin).

When it comes to hair color, there are two types of pigment (melanin), called eumelanins and pheomelanins. Dark brown or black hair is a result of eumelanins, and pheomelanins are responsible for blond or red hair. The combination of these two pigments creates each individual's unique hair color, and the level of pigmentation changes depending on the genes that are active at that point in a person's life. Blond hair can turn brown, brown hair can turn darker brown, and red hair can turn auburn. And some people's hair even stays the same color.

Of course, most people also experience a change in hair color later in life, when their hair starts to turn grey or white as part of the aging process. This results not from a change in activity of specific genes, but the slowing down or ceasing of production of the enzyme that creates pigment.

I don't really mind having dark hair but it is strange that things can change like that.

Bubble Babble
Apr 12, 2004

talk talk talk
blah blah blah
HAND ALLIGATOR
We were worried that one of us might have been a genetic carrier for something, so we got our genes tested on 23andme. They also look at eye color genetics. It was totally worth it for peace of mind, but they do fun stuff like give you percentage likelihood your kid will be certain ways. We have about a 50% chance of blue or brown eyes, and it looks at other stuff like caffeine metabolism and muscle types. It'll also tell you if you carry the red-haired gene (I do, he doesn't) and how curly your hair likely is. Science!

Maybe that takes some of the fun out of it for you guys though. :)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I wonder if you have to worry about things like that when one parent is european and the other asian?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

We did 23andme.com too just for fun (they had a buy one get one deal going a while back) and it was SUPER interesting.

Like, for example, my husband found out he is super sensitive to coumadin, which is nice to know should he ever need to take something like that.

Found out so much stuff!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My favorite part is telling you how much neanderthal you are and where your ancestors were in 1500. That one was a little surprising for my husband.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

It's not post-partum depression if it only hits when you're sleep deprived right? I wish I were joking about that, but I'm serious. I'm fine most of the time, but if you take away my sleep I'm curled up in a ball crying over the smallest thing and thinking it'd just be easier if I walked out the door and didn't come back.

I'm not a big fan of taking medication if I don't need it, so do I need to call my doctor about this or is it just one of those things that comes along with no sleep and a screaming baby who doesn't actually need anything?

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
"Then you shouldn't talk," said the Hatter."
Though this is common, it can easily develop into post-partum depression. It can be difficult to keep in mind that your baby is simply exercising it's lungs while you're exhausted and just want some peace and quiet. It may seem counterintuitive, but pack up that baby and go for a walk, even if it's just down the block and back, or even around your yard if it's late at night. A change of scenery will help change your baby's mind frame, and the exercise will boost your energy levels to get you through the next stretch to baby's nap time.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Is it worth buying some of those maternity bandeau things? I'm not sure what they're called but they're like a stretchy belt type thing that's meant to support your bump. Are they any good? Does anyone here find them useful? They're on sale at a shop near my uni and I can't figure out whether they'd be useful or not.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
They're good for keeping your pants up, which gets to be a pain in the rear end later when the built-in maternity panels start to stretch out. Also for making sure your belly doesn't hang out of shirts. Not much support to them at all though.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

I was able to wear my skinny jeans til I was 7 months by using a bella band.

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!

bee posted:

Is it worth buying some of those maternity bandeau things? I'm not sure what they're called but they're like a stretchy belt type thing that's meant to support your bump. Are they any good? Does anyone here find them useful? They're on sale at a shop near my uni and I can't figure out whether they'd be useful or not.

I had to get a maternity support belt for the last few months to help with lower back pain, its more supportive than something like the Bella Band. Not sure what type you mean. The type I had wasn't meant to be worn visibly it was pretty ugly.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
Most ridiculous side effect of pregnancy so far? This poo poo right here.

As if the other delightful indignities associated with gestating a person wasn't enough, now my tongue looks weird as all hell!

This kid better be awesome :mad:

Midnight Science
Aug 7, 2009

It will destroy you.

Schweig und tanze posted:

I was able to wear my skinny jeans til I was 7 months by using a bella band.

That's a neat trick! (My butt outgrew my jeans pretty quick — it really depends on how your body puts on weight.) Of course, one should not deny oneself the overwhelming joy that is maternity pants/jersey maternity skirts. *Heaven*

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

Midnight Science posted:

That's a neat trick! (My butt outgrew my jeans pretty quick — it really depends on how your body puts on weight.) Of course, one should not deny oneself the overwhelming joy that is maternity pants/jersey maternity skirts. *Heaven*

By 7 month I was living in maternity and yoga pants, trust. I was lucky in that I put on most of my baby weight in the last two months, how the hell I managed that remains a mystery.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I managed to make it through my brother-in-law's very boozy reception by using the excuse that I've lost 20 pounds this year dieting and I wasn't messing that up. Never mind that it was the first time that week I felt like I could handle food and ate three helpings of everything. Gotta love drunks not paying attention. I'm hoping these last two weeks of first trimester means this all day nausea will be gone soon. Please tell me it's possible.

pixie delights
Mar 31, 2005
oy.
I'm not going to contribute to the weight gain conversation. Suffice to say I seem to gain a lot more than recommended during pregnancy.

I am at 41 weeks today, and I'm getting...discouraged. I was induced the day before my due date last time(doctor thought baby was getting too big), so I don't know how far I would have gone over. I haven't had any of the signs of impending labor, outside of minor contractions when I'm up doing something - and I've been having that for weeks. I'm supposed to have a home birth, but I'm (maybe irrationally?) worried that this baby isn't going to come on his own, or I am going to be one of those rare women who go to 43 or 44 weeks. :ohdear:

Any one have words of encouragement or recommendations? I've been considering asking my midwife or doctor to try a membrane strip at my next appointment. Has anyone else done that before - and did it work?

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Midnight Science posted:

I was in maternity clothes at 10 weeks. I was originally a size 1 but my rear end got unreal. Some Kardashian poo poo was happening..still is. I wear 5/7s' now despite losing pretty much all my pregnancy weight except the booty. The husband likes it though! :fap:

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

pixie delights posted:

I'm not going to contribute to the weight gain conversation. Suffice to say I seem to gain a lot more than recommended during pregnancy.

I am at 41 weeks today, and I'm getting...discouraged. I was induced the day before my due date last time(doctor thought baby was getting too big), so I don't know how far I would have gone over. I haven't had any of the signs of impending labor, outside of minor contractions when I'm up doing something - and I've been having that for weeks. I'm supposed to have a home birth, but I'm (maybe irrationally?) worried that this baby isn't going to come on his own, or I am going to be one of those rare women who go to 43 or 44 weeks. :ohdear:

Any one have words of encouragement or recommendations? I've been considering asking my midwife or doctor to try a membrane strip at my next appointment. Has anyone else done that before - and did it work?

I went 10 days late my first time, 4 my second, and 16 days my third. Some people just go later. Are you doing non-stress tests?

I know that membrane strips help some people. I didn't try it.

Also I gained 50 pounds with each of my pregnancies but lost it afterward each time so screw the recommendations.

pixie delights
Mar 31, 2005
oy.

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

I went 10 days late my first time, 4 my second, and 16 days my third. Some people just go later. Are you doing non-stress tests?

I know that membrane strips help some people. I didn't try it.

Also I gained 50 pounds with each of my pregnancies but lost it afterward each time so screw the recommendations.

If he doesn't come by my next doctor appointment on Wednesday, we will do a non-stress test. As long as he's doing all right, we won't induce, but I feel more miserable each day. I really didn't expect to go over, I worked full-time my entire pregnancy, and figured the constant walking would help, I guess.

I gained a LOT the first time, and managed to lose all but 10lbs. I swore I was going to do better this time, but I gained the same amount. Both times, went from being a medium in normal clothes to being an XL in maternity. Gah.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

pixie delights posted:

If he doesn't come by my next doctor appointment on Wednesday, we will do a non-stress test. As long as he's doing all right, we won't induce, but I feel more miserable each day. I really didn't expect to go over, I worked full-time my entire pregnancy, and figured the constant walking would help, I guess.

I gained a LOT the first time, and managed to lose all but 10lbs. I swore I was going to do better this time, but I gained the same amount. Both times, went from being a medium in normal clothes to being an XL in maternity. Gah.

Good luck! I hope you go into labor naturally soon!

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.

pixie delights posted:

I had my membranes stripped on a Tuesday morning and had my baby Wednesday afternoon. I like to think that it helped. I was just over 40 weeks when I had mine done. Before it, I didn't have any pre-labor signs.

I'm a little surprised that they haven't offered it to you.

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
At my appointment on Friday they told me they don't do anything until you hit 42 weeks! They'll do non stress tests, etc. at 41 to make sure everything is ok, then let you go to 42 before they think about intervening. I almost cried, that's a whole MONTH from now. (I'm 37 weeks 5 days.) Not that I have any real reason to think I'll go to 42, but I feel like things have been "too easy" for me so something has to go wrong! I would rather not have to be induced at all of course and am glad they're not induction-happy.

Weight chat, I have gained almost 50 lbs. But I started at 118 lbs at 5'9. I pretty much haven't been able to wear my pre-pregnancy clothes since about 3 months, because I gained in my thighs and hips first! My favorite comment, that I've gotten a few times has been "You don't look pregnant from behind!" Uhh thanks, I think? So glad I'm having this little guy in the summertime so I can get out and get some exercise and lose some of the weight. My skinny-ness pre-pregnancy was not at all due to an active lifestyle, just a good metabolism and tiny frame, so at my age (I'm 37) it's not going to just melt off like it would have when I was younger!

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

pixie delights posted:

I went to 41+4 with my first and labor started spontaneously without much warning. With my second i was at 42 weeks and they were going to induce at 42+2. Did membrane stripping as last resort to avoid induction. I was 2 cm dilated at that point. I gave birth that night. However, it did make me very nauseous and I puked a lot before I went into labor. They said that often happens when you have your membranes stripped. It sucked because I was dehydrated and miserable when I started labor. So unless it was a last resort I would try to avoid it.

bilabial trill fucked around with this message at 09:04 on May 27, 2013

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

sudont posted:

Not that I have any real reason to think I'll go to 42, but I feel like things have been "too easy" for me so something has to go wrong! I would rather not have to be induced at all of course and am glad they're not induction-happy.

Although I had a lot of issues with the first half of my pregnancy, the second half was ridiculously easy. I felt great, slept fine until the last night before I went into labor, and had only minor aches and pains to contend with. I didn't have any real signs of impending labor and was sure that I was going to go at least a week late since my mom did with almost all her kids. Ended up going into labor on my due date with nothing being done to start it. So it can definitely come out of nowhere.

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!
I had mine stripped at 40w5d and was holding my baby in my arms less than 24 hours later, but for all I know that would have happened anyway.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
I had mine stripped at 40w0d and had my son a little over 48 hours later. I was born on my due date so the membrane stripping may not have contributed much. Who knows.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I had mine stripped at 40+3 and got nothing, it just made me cramp all day. My friend who's due this week had hers stripped last Tuesday... She lost her mucous plug and that was it. She's still hanging in there and got her induction scheduled for tomorrow.

It doesn't work for everyone, but there's no harm trying.

pixie delights
Mar 31, 2005
oy.
Thanks for the input, everyone! I think if I'm still pregnant come Wednesday, I'm going to request it. I'm really ready to meet this baby. :)

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Also chiming in to say that with my first I had my membranes stripped in the am of the 24th of August and had her at 7pm the 26th. When I had them stripped I had already lost my mucus plug and was 3cm dilated.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

I've been googling around and I can't seem to find what I'm looking for, maybe some of you have some links you could share with me.
I originally wanted to have a doula but after finding out how much they charge, I quickly changed my mind!

I thought it would be helpful though to print up some sheets on labor positions, massage techniques to help relieve labor pains, and anything like that we could stick in my labor bag so I can go through those as things start to intensify.
I'm not finding any printer friendly information for these things though.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Greycious posted:

I originally wanted to have a doula but after finding out how much they charge, I quickly changed my mind!

Do you have any doulas in training in your area? They may be a free or low cost option.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

skeetied posted:

Do you have any doulas in training in your area? They may be a free or low cost option.

I have no idea..I'll be at the hospital tomorrow so I guess I could ask if they know of anyone? It's getting close to being almost too late to set something up though.

I just know the ones my Dr. recommended wanted quite a hefty sum, and not only that I found just talking with them incredibly awkward- they were on a cell phone with lovely reception when they returned my call, and wouldn't even give me straight up answers on the phone regarding pricing etc, they just told me to look at their website. (Which I did before contacting them, but it was hidden in some forms that had to be downloaded apparently) It was pretty strange.

I'll have my husband with me and hopefully my mom as well, so I think they will be enough support, I'd just like to have some reference materials for us to turn to for help if we start feeling overwhelmed/lost as to what else to try. I'm sure the nurses will be a big help too.

pixie delights
Mar 31, 2005
oy.

Greycious posted:

I thought it would be helpful though to print up some sheets on labor positions, massage techniques to help relieve labor pains, and anything like that we could stick in my labor bag so I can go through those as things start to intensify.
I'm not finding any printer friendly information for these things though.

It's a little long, and it has some pictures that would be a pain to print, but this might be helpful. You could just print off the pages that you feel would be useful. http://hrhonline.org/documents/babybook/labor_coping.pdf

This one is a bit shorter, but not as descriptive as the above. http://rdoula.com/documents/Coping_Strategies_for_Labor.pdf

Hope they help!

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

How much did they want? My doula charges between $250 and $500 depending on if you want videos made, post party's visits, Etc in addition to the "normal" doula stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Party's should say partum. Well done phone.