Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Finally found time for a good detail.

DropShadow fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Larrymer posted:

Care to expand? I've never had an issue with the hook type ones.

I tore the hook off a fairly expensive well known brand set of compressors trying to do the front struts on a toyota prado. but they did have stupidly heavy springs in them- Would have been 13-14mm diameter wire. I think they were 400Kg constant load coils, and only about a foot or so long.

I took em to a suspension shop and watched their hydraulic compressor groan and bend slightly changing them :gonk:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

So I got a working and non-leaking set of injectors in the Allante this afternoon and it cranked right up. The bad news is I had fuel spraying from the joints where the two fuel rails connect. The set of o-rings had disintegrated. At least RockAuto has them in stock at $6 a pair. Maybe next weekend I'll get to drive the car!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Ugh. Look at all of this goodness.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Stocked up on food and drink. Washed my car in a light rain. Necessary, because it's gonna rain the next 2 days, and I am locking up the car in the garage. Me and the car aren't leaving the house til I'm done polishing it Junkman2000 style:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP-eAddv2sk

Claybarred half of it in the garage. Tomorrow I'll finish and start on polishing with my friends Porter Cable and 3 stage Poorboy polish. Then NXT wax.

Gonna be a good use of a rainy weekend. First time I've ever polished it, or any other car. Usually claybar and wax are the extent of my detailing, but I'm going to try and get the swirls out. Tried to take close up before pics, but it's a white car so they didn't really show up.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I love that dude. Just, want to sit in a garage with him and get shiny. Heh!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Replaced the ratty, faded, and/or missing center cap emblem stickers on my Cherokee. Much better. Little bit of rust on the wheels - need to sand and paint them eventually. Think I'll go black instead of the stock silver.

e: pics (my Dropbox).

Old and busted:

New hotness:

$7/set from eBay.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 08:56 on May 25, 2013

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I took off the downpipe on the Saabaru to put on the Cobb one that's been sitting around for months. I broke one exhaust spring bolt and the o2 sensor connector when I took it out. I figured it would be a pain in the rear end to get the o2 out so I immediately went to my impact. Upon doing so, it spun the sensor out so quick it smacked the connector into something and it shattered into 1000 pieces. :doh: After that minor defeat I tried to grease the clutch fork pivot but it still squeaks like a motherfucker. :emo: So then I just bled the clutch.

The front struts also came off today even though I just replaced them about two weeks ago. I wasn't happy with the ride quality of the Excel G's (too stiff for Michigan) so I'm throwing some Monroes on there to hopefully fix that. The rears will get done today and it'll still be sitting on jack stands awaiting yet another rockauto order.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I just waterglassed that 1991 Integra I sold to a friend at cost. Turns out after all this time that the real reason it's had a intermittent overheating problem is a slightly leaking headgasket. Found the overflow hose blowing small bubbles in the coolant overflow tank, and when I tested those bubbles they came back positive for exhaust gasses. It doesn't seem to be blowing coolant to oil or oil to coolant all all, just exhaust to coolant, and maybe a little coolant to exhaust, but not enough to blow white smoke out the tailpipe.

So I drained the system, flushed it, drained it, filled with water and sodium silicate (waterglass). Ran the bitch up good and hot till the bubbles stopped. Alternated between running idle and 3500 rpm and it just stopped bubbling. I think that means the headgasket sealed. Then I shut it down, drained it and I'm gonna let it cure for a day. How long will this $10 fix last‽ Will it seize the thermostat or waterpump‽ Find out in the next episode of Failure Garage!

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Got my catback exhaust put on. Sounds exactly like a wrx. Love it.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
Put a K&N filter and reset the ECU on the Scionbaru. Actually harder than I thought considering it's just a filter change.

What next?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Overhauled the sunroof in the range rover. broke both tracks a few weeks ago.

Old glass

New glass I swapped in from a range rover classic

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

One of my wiper blades decided to part ways with the car in a most spectacular fashion. At least, spectacular when you're half-robotripping and have bronchitis and you're just trying to get more NyQuil generic cold medicine.

No loving idea what happened, just heard a bang and saw the passenger side blade disappear, and saw the arm dragging across the windshield. Thankfully it didn't gouge the glass (and wasn't really raining hard enough to really need the wipers), but I found half of the plastic retaining clip still on the arm.

:argh: 3 month old Valucraft wiper blades :argh:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:19 on May 26, 2013

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Broke 10,000 miles today. First car I've ever owned that I've got to watch it's odometer gain a digit :3:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Frozen-Solid posted:

Broke 10,000 miles today. First car I've ever owned that I've got to watch it's odometer gain a digit :3:

OK, I'm ready to buy whatever car this is based on the cluster alone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've broken two digits so far! (The third and fourth.)

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

OK, I'm ready to buy whatever car this is based on the cluster alone.

Chevy Sonic.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

No poo poo? Well between that and the neato 1.4 turbo I'm pretty sold.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

No poo poo? Well between that and the neato 1.4 turbo I'm pretty sold.

Yeah, the Chevy Sonic's cluster is awesome (but I've found you either love it or hate it), and the 1.4 turbo is a blast to drive. I've had it just over a year now, and I couldn't be happier. The acceleration from the turbo is amazing, though the top speed isn't anything to write home about, but with a 1.4 you don't expect much anyways.

Here's a cleaner shot of the dash it when it's all lit up:

It's a gorgeous car, both interior and exterior.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
From what I've read it's an actual GM platform and not just a gussied up Daewoo so it just gets better.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

From what I've read it's an actual GM platform and not just a gussied up Daewoo so it just gets better.

Correct. They completely redesigned the Aveo from the ground up, and it's the first small hatch that GM has built completely in the US. (I was told they're being built in one of their Ohio plants)

Also technically that was my 4th time adding an extra digit to this car, but getting 5 feels a bit more of an accomplishment than the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th digits.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Changed the oil, oil filter, fuel filter, and serpentine belt. Also made my dad's old air ratchet functional again.

While doing the fuel filter I noticed one of the exhaust hangers broke so I picked up a pair of those and will change them tomorrow or something.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

After spending Saturday morning in the salvage yard, I now have a center console, overhead console, under-dash courtesy lights, rear cargo light, digital clock, and an under-hood light for my '95 Cherokee.

Got the rear cargo/dome light installed, and the liftgate latch with the built-in pin switch to operate it, and then put a 24-LED panel in the light rather than the incandescent bulb. Way brighter - lights up the entire rear area nicely - and doesn't get hot.

Got started on the center console. Fortunately, the transmission tunnel has dimples for the screw that locate the brackets, so just a matter of cutting a hole in the carpet in approximately the right place. Discovered I need a different lower AC plenum for the air duct in the console to the rear seats, so I need to go back and get that Monday. Also going to grab a set of 2-door seats I spotted, and a few pieces of interior trim I forgot I needed.

I love upgrading my base model Heep with better goodies. Keeps me out of trouble. Idle hands, and all that. :)

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

First I cursed at it when I realized it wasn't making any boost. The hoses don't seem cracked. Hopefully its the supercharger bypass solenoid and not the bypass valve because no one seems to carry the bypass valve anymore and its like twice the price of the solenoid.

Then I decided to de-badge it.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Sub install! (there is more slack in that line than appears, that's kind of gross right there)

Kenwood 320w into a single sealed 10", using built in LOC and eating signal off the stock Nokia sub box (which I left in). Sounds pretty good!

Powerpole connectors, my favorite, for the quick- disconnect. All my vehicles have a standard (to me) Powerpole drop in the back for ground, battery 12V, switched 12V and a speaker out, and all of my 12v equipment is Powerpole'd up. The other cars have drops up front too (minus the speaker out) but I have yet to add that to the 5. I guess there's a handy-dandy terminal/fuse block under the passenger floorboard to assist with that, though.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
Is that just kind of...sitting there?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Welded up some all-thread to mount my spare tire to in the flatbed. It took way more effort than I'm proud of. I really should have made a template out of some spare wood and got it in right. Instead I just mounted one stud, laid out the next, hosed it up, cut it off - repeat. I only ended up with two out of three, I'll get that third one when I have more energy. Probably never.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

DoesNotCompute posted:

Is that just kind of...sitting there?

For now it is, but I'm going to figure out some sort of retention mechanism to lock it down. My old car had just the right amount of space to sandwich it back there and wedge it in, but this one's a little bigger.

Now that you mention it I'm sketched and am going to at least throw a ratchet strap across there, haha.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Jonny 290 posted:

For now it is, but I'm going to figure out some sort of retention mechanism to lock it down. My old car had just the right amount of space to sandwich it back there and wedge it in, but this one's a little bigger.

Now that you mention it I'm sketched and am going to at least throw a ratchet strap across there, haha.

Put a shitload of Velcro strips on the bottom of your box so it stiicks to the carpet. Works on my sub - it hardly ever moves.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Tomarse posted:

Put a shitload of Velcro strips on the bottom of your box so it stiicks to the carpet. Works on my sub - it hardly ever moves.

That will hold it perfectly until you hit something, and then that motherfucker is coming right through the back seat at you.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Honestly I'd like to get one of the fitted sub boxes, like the ones that fit above the battery:

That way I could get the ricey box/etc out of the way and build in a permanent setup, leaving this box for the truck or whatever.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Polymerized Cum posted:

That will hold it perfectly until you hit something, and then that motherfucker is coming right through the back seat at you.

Fair point, the rest of the junk floating round in my car would probably be more hazardous.
In my truck I have a lot of stuff held down using the adjusters from a batch of chairs we had at a school I worked in that the kids immediately started pulling apart - the adjuster is a m8x30 bolt with a big plastic knurled knob moulded over the head. I have fitted various captive nuts and things like my toolbox have a length of 90 degree angle riveted on along one bottom edge which is then bolted through. The knob makes it easy to remove.. This would work well for a sub too.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I washed and waxed the roof of the Niva because it was the worst oxidized and I messed it up last time too. I don't care much about looks but more about saving what's left of the paint.

Had another failed attempt at fixing the horn too. I'm just going to go in and short it to make sure the wire for the contact in the column actually works.

Did a rough job of armour-all-ing some of the inside again. One day it will shine. One day.

Fixed what I think was the clip for the drivers' window winder and properly attached the winder finally so it doesn't drop off at random.

Contemplated removing the rocker cover again to straighten it. This time I might remove the cabin vent box thing to get some clearance.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Frozen-Solid posted:

Yeah, the Chevy Sonic's cluster is awesome (but I've found you either love it or hate it), and the 1.4 turbo is a blast to drive. I've had it just over a year now, and I couldn't be happier. The acceleration from the turbo is amazing, though the top speed isn't anything to write home about, but with a 1.4 you don't expect much anyways.

Here's a cleaner shot of the dash it when it's all lit up:

It looks like something you'd find on a sport bike.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

:eyepop:

Thats pretty.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

It looks like something you'd find on a sport bike.

That was the exact look they were going for, and I'm not much of a bike guy but I do really really love the look.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004
I sanded the old paint off my grill trim and plastic dipped it. Also used a headlight renewal kit on my lights.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
My little boy helped me pull stuff off the quad so I could check out its carburettor. It hasn't run since last year, and before then it was running poorly. Drained dribble that was left in the tank and gave it some fresh stuff. Used the Niva to jump start it because I must have spent a good 15-20 minutes cranking it on and off trying different things to get it to catch. Eventually a single pop, then a bit more frequent. Got it running. It was blowing a shitload of white funny smelling smoke for a while but it settled down. Pumped up the tyres and took my son for a few victory laps. Made his day.

Also noticed that the Niva is running a lot better now the valves are adjusted and the exhaust smoke subsided after a while. I think it has a lot of crap to burn off.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I wired in the LC-1 and the three port boost solenoid. I'm still waiting on some little parts to come in so I can throw on the downpipe, STi TMIC and tune the thing. (06 Saabaru) :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011

Goodbye fogs!