Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
But Byakuren has the purple-into-brown hair ZUNfirmed, which makes her better than some ridiculous attempt at a badass cape that was definitely not stolen from Utsuho's closet, since it doesn't have all of creation inside of it.

Besides, everyone knows a proper badass cape requires tattered edges to show you've been through and endured the harshest of battles, for example;

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Miko's cape is awesome, I'm not gonna lie. I think I'm in love. I just can't get over this goddamn cape.

Anyways, the 3rd stage boss girl looks pretty cool. I'm not a big fan of the other 2, but at least the songs are good! That is the most important part.
Also jesus, how many bomb parts did the 3rd boss chick drop? Like 8? Probably more than that, I think.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

So I've played the Touhou 14 trial and I don't really like anything about it :(

I didn't like TD much to begin with, but this seems like an even worse version of it with no "gimmick". Not having a gimmick isn't a bad thing but I expected more from ZUN at this point. Everything in 14 just feels fangamey.

Just one guy's opinion though.

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 11:59 on May 26, 2013

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
I had the opposite impression. It seems very much in the mold of TD, but it generally works while TD didn't, at all. The music is still very out there, but some of it actually sounds decent, has melody, etc. Patterns are still perhaps overly simple, but they flow better and have a consistent theme that TD generally lacked. Shot types are wacky, but I like how they're like twisted reflections of shot types from earlier in the series. The bonus system is going to be a simple optimization as soon as people figure it out, but POCing items is fun and the trance system was horribly tedious.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I just realized that for the last 4 main TH games, each has had the first three bosses be 2 with bare heads and one with some kind of headwear, and only Yuyuko as a repeating character has had a hat. For years, the demos have not given us a single new hat to marvel at. Where are the hats Zun? You can't short-change us like this!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Paging Dr. Sunshine, please draw a picture of Gabe Newell using voodoo magicks to suck the hat energies out of ZUN from afar, weakening his hatted-character creating abilities.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Insurrectionist posted:

I just realized that for the last 4 main TH games, each has had the first three bosses be 2 with bare heads and one with some kind of headwear, and only Yuyuko as a repeating character has had a hat. For years, the demos have not given us a single new hat to marvel at. Where are the hats Zun? You can't short-change us like this!

I am still waiting for the Touhou with a bonnet or a nun's wimple.

But the problem with these, I guess, is that they'd make it hard to see the :smug::downs: faces.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
Miko literally does the Dracula pose while declaring a spellcard, this game is great.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

So I just tried this thing, and all it did was reset all my installed Touhou games back to japanese. Am I missing something here?

e: Nevermind, I guess the British English option doesn't do anything unless you also pick the American English one

drat, Kagerou has quite a jump in difficulty from Easy to Normal. Her attacks go from trivial to "EoSD-style walls of bullets", unless there's some trick I'm missing.

Also I don't think it's true that this game is gimmickless, there's an interesting thing going on where you get higher score multipliers if you wait for more items to be on screen before going up to autocollect them. Also a bomb piece or a life piece depending on the size of the bonus - I think? It seems to always be a life piece for a x2.0 bonus, but I sometimes get them from smaller bonuses too.

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 26, 2013

Zenephant
Dec 31, 2009

It's weird that pretty much every character from the games is in HM except for Alice (She is on the Human village stage, far right).

Miko is amazing, and Nitori and Koishi look much cooler in action than I thought they would be.

Zenephant fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 26, 2013

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
A rokuro-kubi isn't technically a headless youkai. There are two types - the type that stretches their neck really long, and the type that sends their head flying around. You can guess which type the stage 2 boss is. :v:

Apparently she's already getting 2chan nicknames like "Official yukkuri" and "Wireless rokurokubi".

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Hokuto posted:

"Official yukkuri"

Oh god I didn't even think of that. Zun what have you doooone :negative:

Leveling
Oct 30, 2012
I just noticed there is a small effect on the stage 1 boss' tail so it looks like it is underwater.
And that this effect his dropped when she is using a spellcard.

The best part is that it is written in her profile than she is gaining power while she is underwater, but use her spellcard out of water. Zun logic. :v:

Suaimhneas posted:

Also I don't think it's true that this game is gimmickless, there's an interesting thing going on where you get higher score multipliers if you wait for more items to be on screen before going up to autocollect them. Also a bomb piece or a life piece depending on the size of the bonus - I think? It seems to always be a life piece for a x2.0 bonus, but I sometimes get them from smaller bonuses too.
If I got it right, it works exactly like that:

Each time you capture a boss' attack, or autocollect enough items, you get a normal drop. Every fifth normal drop is a life piece, the four others are bomb pieces.
If you autocollect enough items so you get a x2.0 bonus, you get a life piece instead of the normal drop.

Tsym
Dec 30, 2012
Played the Touhou 14 demo, and I'm actually fairly impressed. ZUN's switching musical styles again, and although I think he's a bit hit or miss with it (come on ZUN the stage 2 boss track sounds rather repetitive), he gets quite a few good tracks in the first three stages. The stage 3 theme is great, and the title screen track is really great past the opening section.

Gameplay is looking really good right now too. On Lunatic (haven't played on lower difficulties), pretty much every enemy shoots out a flurry of death bullets that makes PoC'ing the items rather harrowing. I'm sure that solid routes through the stages will make things more manageable, but right now I think the difficulty is in a good place with regards to the resource system.

Even better is that the boss patterns are mostly all fun to play. Cirno actually manages to be pretty threatening, and I really like the pure dodging aspect of the stage 1 boss's spell cards. The stage 2 boss is a bit of a low point in design though. The strategy for most of her stuff is pretty similar since they all follow the same formula. Stage 3 boss is pretty fantastic. First of all, she's freaking hard. It could be me, but the fact that her bullets only split when they get right up in your face makes it rather tricky to read. All of her patterns are really well designed too, and I love her gimmick.

Plus I love the wacky nature of the shot types. ReimuA is so hilarious, especially the bomb. I laughed for a good while when I saw that. SakuyaB is the only one I'm a bit confused about. Is her focused shot really just pure forward damage? Because she's not doing a very good job of competing with Marisa's shot types if that's the case.

Leveling posted:

I just noticed there is a small effect on the stage 1 boss' tail so it looks like it is underwater.
And that this effect his dropped when she is using a spellcard.

The best part is that it is written in her profile than she is gaining power while she is underwater, but use her spellcard out of water. Zun logic. :v:
Given her spell card names, it sounds like she's using her tail to splash water at you for her first card, and conjuring up large waves of water for her second. Of course, waves of water have their biggest impact on the surface of the sea, so it does make sense.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Touhou's all about the hats, right? Have a couple crazy hats.

From 9時, though most of the stuff on there is decidedly less crazy awesome hats.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Don't use that Touhou patch utility thing. It's loving garbage and will gently caress up your existing patches probably.

Maximum Chenergy
Aug 30, 2007

Its black mist swallows all.

Volt Catfish posted:

Don't use that Touhou patch utility thing. It's loving garbage and will gently caress up your existing patches probably.

It doesn't affect them at all though? unless you delete the original executable file and use the patched version, in which case it should still work properly and leave the original intact. I haven't had any problems with the patcher at least.

E: in fact it won't even find any english patched version of the games in the config program so it definitely won't affect other english patches.

Maximum Chenergy fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 26, 2013

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It hasn't hosed up my other patches, but it did take me like a hour to figure out how to tell it what folder to search rather than dig through all my other crap. It's really needlessly complex and goofy, I want a normal patch.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I heard a stupid rumor that ZUN confirmed Sakuya as a Lunarian along with this demo release. Any idea what that's about?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Somebody on /jp/ posted a picture of the character profiles, and Sakuya's has something like "Sakuya doesn't know she's a Lunarian" at the end. It's probably a fake, because there's no way ZUN is ever going to say anything about Sakuya after devoting her entire PMiSS entry to how much of an enigma she is.

In other news, Byakuren is basically Remilia (and just as much of a pain in the rear end to play),

and Reimu straight up stole Infinite Superspeed Flying Object. :v:

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
There's nothing in Sakuya's DDC profile suggesting she's Lunarian, at least according to Touhouwiki's translation.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I guess I was told misinformation about it breaking your existing patches. The patch being kinda crappy is still legit though.

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 26, 2013

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Volt Catfish posted:

I guess I was told misinformation about it breaking your existing patches. The patch being kinda crappy is still legit though.

Give it some time. They were pretty straightforward about what to expect. Honestly, just the fact that dialogue in 14 has already happened has exceeded my expectations. The rest should slowly trickle in over the next weeks and months. Most importantly, it establishes a new paradigm.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I couldn't get the patch to work at all earlier today, and was pretty down on it.

Just now, an hour ago, I got it working, and suddenly it's magical and auto-updating and I won't need to touch it again until I get a new touhou game. This is really a new paradigm and I love it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Having played it for a whole day now, I think HM's pretty fun, but at the same time really silly. There is basically no learning curve (unless someone figures out some kind of Super Pro Technique), just a steep vertical wall where you have to learn about every single mechanic to even understand what the hell is going on, the AI is terrible (Lunatic AI just spams the gently caress out of strong attack), and the popularity mechanic is honestly pretty half-baked (whoever thought countering should give you +5% is a terrible person). And of course, TasoFro rushed the hell out of the game (when you unlock her, Kokoro has nothing but normal attacks).

Also Kokoro is the easiest final boss ever. Not a single threatening card, and tons of "if you get hit by this slow attack you take tons of damage but oh wait you didn't get hit". Story mode in general is a joke, actually, since you can reuse your spells after every stage.

EDIT: The sprites are amazing though.

And speaking of Miko,

(A > A > A > 6C > 8B > 2C), 6C and 2C must be the sword move

here's a really easy corner combo you can do with her.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 27, 2013

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
The most important question remains, however- do the characters have spinning animations? :colbert:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Hedera Helix posted:

The most important question remains, however- do the characters have spinning animations? :colbert:

I don't think so, chief.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Hedera Helix posted:

Nope, no spinning animations, but most of the characters have fantastic sprites anyway.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Hedera Helix posted:

Kind of?

Somhow I don't think that's what you were looking for though. :v:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

It has Orin fist-pumping though, that one's pretty avatar-worthy.

Edit: Also, after Hisoutensoku's story mode I don't find this one too bad, but let's be real here, you don't play fighting games to beat some silly story mode.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

It has Orin fist-pumping though, that one's pretty avatar-worthy.

Edit: Also, after Hisoutensoku's story mode I don't find this one too bad, but let's be real here, you don't play fighting games to beat some silly story mode.

What do I play fighting games for, then!?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I button-mashed played Hisoutensoku for the story :colbert:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

I button-mashed played Hisoutensoku for the story :colbert:

Meiling's story mode is a literary master piece and not exemplary for the genre as a whole.

On a different note, after giving every shot type a good shake in TH14, is it just me or is this actually pretty difficult? Granted, I thought the same thing about TH13 when the demo first came out so I dunno how my opinion will change in the future, but right now things seem to get pretty tricky even at the stage 2 boss.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

Meiling's story mode is a literary master piece and not exemplary for the genre as a whole.

On a different note, after giving every shot type a good shake in TH14, is it just me or is this actually pretty difficult? Granted, I thought the same thing about TH13 when the demo first came out so I dunno how my opinion will change in the future, but right now things seem to get pretty tricky even at the stage 2 boss.

I'm finding it kinda hard, yeah, and the stage 2 boss is really hard. There's something about her laser eyes that makes it so that I just can't dodge the drat things well at all.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

a cartoon duck posted:

I'm not sure whether it's hard or if I'm just really rusty or both. In any event, if you play aggressively with the Item border line you get so many bombs and extra lives you can kind of brute force it.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

a cartoon duck posted:

I had an easier time with Reimu A and Sakuya A. Reimu A for being like Reimu/Yukari in TH8. Sakuya A for being a much better TH11 Marissa C, her shot type is wider and her defensive bomb is actually useful.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
So, ZUN may need to fix some of the mechanics of DDC for the full game.

For those not keeping track, he earned 9 lives in 3 stages (3, 2, and then 4), and just from casual observation, it seems like you could squeeze at least 2 more out with some optimization.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
OK even I can tell you that if you have a mechanic where you get power-ups by collecting point/power items you probably shouldn't have your bombs turn every loving bullet that hits it into an item.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Wow. I skipped over Marisa B when I saw she had the missiles but I really missed out there. I'm sure this is way less egregious on Normal and Easy though. Otherwise, yeah that bomb really needs a nerf. And here I thought Sakuya was the one who could really score well...

Also, man is Nitori a jerk in HM.

HGH fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Sakuya B seems like she would be hilarious in pacifist runs. Oh, I can't kill any opponents, so there'll be ridiculous bullet walls? Well my bomb only kills bullets. :smug:

I'm expecting the Good Ending gimmick for DDC to be "Don't use a possessed weapon". Or maybe the final boss will be able to steal your focused shot, who knows.

a cartoon duck posted:

On a different note, after giving every shot type a good shake in TH14, is it just me or is this actually pretty difficult?

I dunno about it being more difficult, but I did notice a lot more imaginative stuff. Stage 2 boss' nonspells, for instance, were really cool.