Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

They got a pretty crazy surge from that, and it wasn't even the main Yogscast channel.

No kidding, I was hoping that they'd just hit $400k for the coop multiplayer, but at this rate they may very well hit $600k before the end of the campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Toffile posted:

So 22Cans' Curiosity iOS app was a way to select the god in Godus.

Never quit being you, Peter Molyneux :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhzb9OUWrXU

Yeah, my interest in Godus pretty much dropped to 0 after that video.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Wait, so is the God going to be a realtime 3rd part player who fucks with people? Or is this dude just gonna design the god's abilities that are put into the eventual game?

I thought the player was the God on Godus.

I guess I'm asking questions no one knows the answer to but I am confused.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

Mug posted:

Wait, so is the God going to be a realtime 3rd part player who fucks with people? Or is this dude just gonna design the god's abilities that are put into the eventual game?

I thought the player was the God on Godus.

I guess I'm asking questions no one knows the answer to but I am confused.
I think it's the former. At least, I really hope so, because that's actually kind of a cool prize, while the latter resembles a kickstarter tier or something.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

So... what, "EVERYBODY'S CONTROLS ARE REVERSED NOW! HAHAHAHAHAHA"?

Because that makes for a cool prize for the guy but makes me less interested in the game than I already was. (which was "Whatus?" so)

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I'm really glad I decided to wait to see what Godus was going to turn out to be before dropping any money on it. A modern reinterpretation of Populous that stays true to the simplicity of the original would have been cool, but just as expected, the Molyneux happens.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

These are all bold assumptions to make. Maybe we should wait to hear what it actually is before making judgement calls?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Government science grants and military funding should move to a kickstarter model.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Kickstarter can raise millions of dollars. Major research projects, on the order of the large hadron collider or manned space missions, cost billions of dollars. I don't think we're quite there yet, sadly. (And that's ignoring the problem of non-sexy but vital research.)

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Weird, I just checked Curiosity out for the first time yesterday. The cube still looked giant as hell so I guess whatever later they were on was just kinda arbitrarily the last one.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Yodzilla posted:

Weird, I just checked Curiosity out for the first time yesterday. The cube still looked giant as hell so I guess whatever later they were on was just kinda arbitrarily the last one.

The cube never actually got smaller, I sperged out and actually checked the sides to see if the layer underneath it actually represented a smaller cube. Same exact size

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
You are believing something that has emerged from Peter Molyneux's mouth.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Dreylad posted:

No kidding, I was hoping that they'd just hit $400k for the coop multiplayer, but at this rate they may very well hit $600k before the end of the campaign.
Short of the world ending there's no way Stonehearth isn't going to hit their 600k goal. So factions are definitely going to be in. I'd say with their paypal totals they may even be over 600k already if not they're going to hit it today.

If anyone hasn't looked in awhile they pretty much have everything they wanted and then some. There's Co-Op, PVP (where a copy of your friend's city is imported in you don't actually lose your city and have to start over) and soon factions. It's going to be a pretty complete game and for the amount the creators have invested it's likely they'll keep adding more as time goes on.

Edit: Though quite long check out their Twitch Videos and listen to him talk. He's clearly got a good grip on what makes games fun and what makes things look interesting. Hopefully they'll be able to translate all that to in-game mechanics.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 27, 2013

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Darkhold posted:

Short of the world ending there's no way Stonehearth isn't going to hit their 600k goal. So factions are definitely going to be in. I'd say with their paypal totals they may even be over 600k already if not they're going to hit it today.

If anyone hasn't looked in awhile they pretty much have everything they wanted and then some. There's Co-Op, PVP (where a copy of your friend's city is imported in you don't actually lose your city and have to start over) and now factions. It's going to be a pretty complete game and for the amount the creators have invested it's likely they'll keep adding more as time goes on.

The only problem with Stonehearth, and many other games on Kickstarter, is that they're not out yet and won't be for many months to come. :negative:

Seriously though, Stonehearth is looking incredible. I never knew the Cannons had those kinda chops.

Orv
May 4, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

The only problem with Stonehearth, and many other games on Kickstarter, is that they're not out yet and won't be for many months to come. :negative:

This year sucks vis a vis successful Kickstarters, all the really ambitious stuff won't be out until January at the earliest and that's mostly just alpha/beta testing.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Orv posted:

This year sucks vis a vis successful Kickstarters, all the really ambitious stuff won't be out until January at the earliest and that's mostly just alpha/beta testing.

What? What about Stardrive, Broken Age, Shadowrun, Xing, Barkley 2, Consortium, Valdis Story, Wasteland 2 and the Banner Saga? I guess that depends on your definition of "really ambitious" but this year is great for kickstarter games coming out.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I guess I should clarify that most of the stuff I've personally backed was either with that first wave of 2011 small indie stuff being released this year or is 2014/2015 stuff. I'm bad at choosing things I can play soon. :smith:

But god when I can play them. :allears:

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005
I only just now heard about this Godus thing, but I really hope having some random kid be God of the game is a central theme and not just a watered down gimmick where his decisions are super limited. Even if the game does terribly in sales, it could be pretty interesting if it's executed right and if the kid is smart enough or crazy enough.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Unormal posted:

Government science grants and military funding should move to a kickstarter model.

There's already this for science funding. I have no idea how successful it has been though.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

Drifter posted:

What about it, specifically, do you like? From the trailer the writing looks poor.

The idea seems neat, I'll grant you.

This was a couple pages back, but I came here to post about Unrest because I'm actually good friends with the writer. I haven't seen any of the writing related to the game, but I can say that Adam is really talented at doing exactly what this game wants to do: incorporate the player's actions into the overarching story. Having played a ton of table-top RPGs with him, I'm pretty confidant that he can pull this game off.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Toffile posted:

So 22Cans' Curiosity iOS app was a way to select the god in Godus.

Never quit being you, Peter Molyneux :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhzb9OUWrXU

Never quit being you, Castle Vidcons.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

One amusing factoid is that this comic was penned and uploaded in about one hour and half after the Curiosity reveal. Talk about working fast.

I wonder if Molyneux will do another Kickstarter in the future. The media will be there on day one to be all over it again for sure. :sigh:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The best part of all this nonsense is now discovering that Castle Vidcons is back.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

AnonSpore posted:

Yogscast apparently pimped them on their youtube, they're currently sitting at around 510k including paypal.

I'm a huge fan of the Yogscast, and Sjin in particular, but it makes me feel a little weird when he does a 5 minute plug for a game on KS. I have to wonder if there was something else to it.

Don't get me wrong, I still pledged my 30 to get beta access, but it got me thinking about KS. If these guys can't deliver on their stretch goals, they'll just say "whelp that's how game development goes." It's important to remember your KS pledge is just a donation and the promise of, in my case, beta access and 2 copies of the game on release - containing whatever features it may or may not have. If these guys could have delivered 3 factions with 400k, then the extra 200k will just be gravy for them.

In Sjin's defense, it does seem like the kind of game he'd be into, and if I had a platform like he did I'd probably use it to pimp KS games I wanted to play as well.

On StoneHearth in particular: if these guys can deliver on half of what they promise, Towns and Gnomoria better get polished up and make their sales before it comes out. Nobody is going to be buying once this is on the market. I'm a little nervous that they've never made a game before, but what Sjin demoed at least tells us that they can make an engine that works.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Darkhold posted:

I mentioned that I wasn't sure about upping my pledge, but I did raise it to the two beta copies level a few days ago. In part because I don't want to have to wait two years for it to be out of beta, and in part because at this point I'm convinced that they will have three factions even if they didn't hit that fund raising amount.

Their videos are all long and kind of boring, but I really enjoy just leaving one open in a separate Firefox window to the side of my screen while I browse the forums or whatever because they really do have a good outlook on the whole thing and it's a lot more interesting than it should be to half watch them fiddle around and give ambiguous answers.

e: RE Sjin. First of all the difference that bigger name YouTubers can make in Kickstarters and Green Lights is absolutely nuts. They raised around $80k just because Sjin did the same 5 minute demo video that a half dozen other people did. If it was Simon and Lewis, or Total Biscuit that amount would have been at least double. If there is any reason to think that there is a quid pro quo for these plugs, then that is really something important. But there isn't any reason to assume that, and the stated raison d'être for Sjin's Youtube channel (as an example) is to show him playing and talking about video games he likes or thinks are neat or is curious about. So why on Earth limit that to only games that are already commercially available?

Arnold of Soissons fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 27, 2013

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Carecat posted:

Russian off roading simulator :black101: Only asking for £40k and they have a tech demo to download.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/358753914/spintires-the-ultimate-off-road-challenge

Their demo is strangely enthralling, they got some really cool tech going on, throw in some wild life and it'd be like a safari simulator.

Hakkesshu posted:

The best part of all this nonsense is now discovering that Castle Vidcons is back.
It switched to a schedule of "whenever something topical happens" a while back, which seems to be working out wonders. RSS is the easiest way of keeping up with it.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I mentioned that I wasn't sure about upping my pledge, but I did raise it to the two beta copies level a few days ago. In part because I don't want to have to wait two years for it to be out of beta, and in part because at this point I'm convinced that they will have three factions even if they didn't hit that fund raising amount.

I backed at that level because I wanted a puppy.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
What's the over-under on Stonehearth being something I can play with my wife

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

signalnoise posted:

My plan is to play it with my wife so I'm hoping pretty good.

It looks like a cute but deep city builder so how does your wife feel about management sims? With the level of modding they seem to want if your wife doesn't like an aspect of it I'm sure you could change it about.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I was greenlighting Stonehearth on Steam when I stumbled across another game in the queue called Darkwood. It's a top-down survival horror game, up on Indiegogo with a fixed funding campaign, and it looks pretty drat cool to me.

SupSuper posted:

Their demo is strangely enthralling, they got some really cool tech going on, throw in some wild life and it'd be like a safari simulator.

Russian trucks looks fun, but it's got a pretty high buy in point of £20 for a copy of the game.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

signalnoise posted:

My wife generally hates all video games; to date the only time I've gotten her to play anything was one day's worth of Wii Fit. She likes watching Stonehearth videos because everything's cute. So that's a thing.

If your wife likes city building or sim type games (Sims, Sim City, etc.) she should like Stonehearth.

Divine Disclaimer
Jan 24, 2013

by T. Finninho

Great Rumbler posted:

Yeah, my interest in Godus pretty much dropped to 0 after that video.

HAHAHAHA Hey guys look I put Molyneux in a literal echo chamber, oh christ :psyduck:

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

signalnoise posted:

I backed at the double beta level hoping that we will play together. Nothing in life in guaranteed, but it looks like it should be a good fit.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I backed at the double beta level hoping that we will play together. Nothing in life in guaranteed, but it looks like it should be a good fit.

Just upgraded my pledge to 25$ so I can get two copies of the game and force my GF to play haha

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Looks like Stonehearth made 600k with paypal factored in. So that's three playable kingdoms and all the stretch goals we know complete. Wonder if they'll add more before the auction closes in . .. 57 hours.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Looks like Stonehearth made 600k with paypal factored in. So that's three playable kingdoms and all the stretch goals we know complete. Wonder if they'll add more before the auction closes in . .. 57 hours.

They're doing some impressive stuff, but it's weird how quiet they've been the last few days. I'd expect them to be flogging a new set of stretch goals or talking with gaming media, spreading the word, something. Maybe it's gotten so big that it got away from them a bit?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Rivensteel posted:

They're doing some impressive stuff, but it's weird how quiet they've been the last few days. I'd expect them to be flogging a new set of stretch goals or talking with gaming media, spreading the word, something. Maybe it's gotten so big that it got away from them a bit?

I think that's it actually yeah. When they announced the last set of stretch goals they said they were scaling things back and going from stretch goals at 50k instead of 20k just to make sure they didn't get over-stretched.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

signalnoise posted:

Seems like it'd lend itself well if you both enjoy the concept of building and managing a cute little city and fighting monsters and poo poo. You can divide up work and each take a job and all that jazz. You can build up the city while she goes kill monsters or whatever. If you're both into it the stuff we've seen seems to be up that alley.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Carecat posted:

Russian off roading simulator :black101: Only asking for £40k and they have a tech demo to download.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/358753914/spintires-the-ultimate-off-road-challenge

This looks interesting but they're also asking £20 for a glorified offroading simulator. I might pay $20 but £20 seems like a lot to me. There's also the other pricing weirdness with the DLC. There's a £15 tier that comes with only the DLC but no game for some reason. If you actually want both the game and the DLC, your only option is the £40 tier even though you can buy the DLC and the game separately for only £35. The demo is fun but I don't know how much replayability it would have for me. Maybe it appeals to the Euro Truck Simulator crowd more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

You should look up Train Simulator on Steam. Then you can come back and call this expensive all you want.