Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

If we bring Jalitha into this situation, it'll only escalate things for the worse; What would a Bronze Age-ish society who found one of their women being pretty much held hostage by savages do?

Plus, shes got no reason not to sell the whole village out, after all shes been a consistently beaten slave for 10+ years. There's not even any guarantee she's still that close with us anymore, since we made the choice to be with Dad pretty much all day every day for the last year, she might have written us off as a lost cause for all we know.

Dads being chill as gently caress, he didn't even get up from his surf-prayers straight away, hes got this.

e: From IRC; <Diog> One of them has their palms out and is trying to talk. The others have their spears leveled and don't look very happy.

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

D! Screw the consequences!

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
E. We're 11. Dad's got this. Any hey, if he doesn't and winds up dead, that's a win as well.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Option C, but then walk up the the hands outstretched guy and say "Hello, me Og, peace, yes?" in his language, then point at the monsters "What is that things?". Offer to shake his hand if it seems appropriate.

(Essentially diffuse the situation by acting like an unconcerned person.)

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Keeping in mind a bunch of villagers are starting to come over and are making tentative stabs at these people and they've remained relatively calm. Our situation can be summed up with this Where they are the girl in this situation and we are the obvious participants.

We must be pretty loving weird to these people.

Chat logs regarding our Dad beating us being a normal occurance.

quote:

<Diog> It is not normal. The only person who physically harms others in the village, is your father. I wish I explicitly stated that, but with the timeskips, there was no good time to fit it in. The men of your village dont hurt their wives or kids., or each other.
<Diog> Its just your dad.

As always appreciate people posting their new vote as a separate thing and using the icons, it makes it much easier to keep tally of who is where. Thanks folks. :3:

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 27, 2013

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
is the prudent thing here. We can't just go behind Dad's back and grab Jalitha, but if he gives us the high-sign things might proceed more fluidly.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

All you E people convinced me. Vote changed to . I've removed my original vote from the old post.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

It might not be a good idea to show them one of their kind enslaved. Let's see how our dad handles it. We're just 11 years old for Asherah's sake. Of course we think we can do better than any adult but for now let's just shut the gently caress up, we might screw things up.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

I hope this doesn't inadvertently start a war.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
A couple of questions since I can't remember whether they have been addressed or not, Jalitha speaks our language, but does she have another language of her own people? Do all people speak the same language? If not have we picked up anything of her language from spending time with Jalitha? You said that there was no real trade between villages, but do we even understand the concept of large-scale trading in case that's what the monsters are for?

At least until I get an answer, I will vote to Hold the gate. Of our village. Which I now realize likely does not have a gate.

Walkin Goon
Apr 4, 2011

Our villagers are already freaked out, and it wouldn't surprise me if our father has a poor sentiment towards outsiders given his fanatic personality.

Maybe the villagers will put down their spears if they see the outsiders resemblance to Jalitha, and possibly give an accurate translator between the two parties.

The only chronic abuser in our village is our father after all, and Jalitha doesn't seem to bear a grudge to instantly point out her being a slave here.

Either way, we should definitely inform her that men who look like her are here. Maybe give some carrots to the strange men to feed to their monstrous looking beasts while they wait. Also, tell our father to try and restrain himself from flailing anything in the presence of armored men with sharp, shiny sticks.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I think there may be too much Dad love here. I kinda wish we'd spent more time with Jalitha now too, but I think the only way this doesn't end in violence...by which I mean us getting massacred...is if we get a translator up and running ASAP.

XOXO
Mar 8, 2013

Ask me about being weaker than a 60 year-old British woman.
Votin'

This is way out of our league.

Daned
Jan 14, 2008

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I have mentioned this in IRC, but not in the thread! I have been keeping a running document of the information we know about the game so far (I am terrible at remembering minutia, so mostly it is for my own benefit). If you are ever confused, forget something, or just want to kill some time then head on over to here and take in some background story!

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Outrail posted:

Option C, but then walk up the the hands outstretched guy and say "Hello, me Og, peace, yes?" in his language

C. Don't tell or ask dad, just start trying to communicate.

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009
E. Let dad handle it for now, we can get her if we need a translator. Its possible the visitors speak our language, we haven't heard what they're saying yet.

They're also much better armed, so we don't need to make any sudden moves.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I have mentioned this in IRC, but not in the thread! I have been keeping a running document of the information we know about the game so far (I am terrible at remembering minutia, so mostly it is for my own benefit). If you are ever confused, forget something, or just want to kill some time then head on over to here and take in some background story!

You'll find some bits and pieces of the IRC only info we've gotten in there. Going to try and keep as much of that as possible in there.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

E Watch what your dad does as it's going to be your job some day.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...
D

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

Oh, we are SCREWED. Compared to us, these guys might as well have plasma rifles and power armor.

The negotiator obviously wants something. They brought donkeys full of supplies, presumably for trade, but what do we have that they could possibly want? Our commodities include fish, seaweed, wood, pearls..

Dye? I seem to recall that snails are used to make a particularly precious blue dye.

Oh, and Jalitha. Who we've been beating and shaming for years. Yeah..

Hopefully they just want one of their own back. Jalitha will likely not allow them to butcher our village if we'll be butchered too. If we stand here and do nothing, our dad (who seems to solve all his problems with violence and fanaticism) is going to get his rear end killed. That will likely spark off a skirmish, which we will lose.

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,
I can't hear you over the sound of how HIP I am.
Hold the gate!

I'm sure Dad will deal with these guys, I hope they're okay with Jalitha being a semi-slave because that might be a thing.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
Tell dad we can semi-translate

Semi-translate: C

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Razage posted:

Hold the gate!

I'm sure Dad will deal with these guys, I hope they're okay with Jalitha being a semi-slave because that might be a thing.

It isn't that bad, I'm not sure "slavery" is even the right word for her situation. She doesn't have to work harder than an average woman of our village, and except for that one beating she hasn't really be treated much worse than an average woman of our village. She lives in the same kind of hut and eats the same food as the locals. She isn't a prisoner, nothing stops her from running away and trying to walk home, except that life in our village is better than death in the wilderness. If she wants to leave with these strangers, I doubt father would try to stop her.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Our problem with trotting Jalitha out is that she was beaten that one time yeah, and it was hard enough that it's done permanent damage to her legs. But she's also been beaten on a semi-regular basis as well whenever Dad has caught her praying to her God. So she may likely just go "Hey I've been a slave for 11+ years could you kill these savages" Or maybe she's got stockholm syndrome and will establish a fantastic trade deal for us with the pot of pearls we've given her over the years. Who knows.

Maybe she's been praying to El to send Smattas and Marnal, better hope there's no lightning in the next update!

Smattas the spear! :hist101:

quote:

Smattas always arrives to defeat horrible monsters and save little children when all hope is lost and he always, always, always wins, even when it seems impossible.

Marnal the other guy! :science: Who can flex people back to life?

quote:

Lighting are blessings sent by Marnal as Smattas fights, to help sick and hurt people who were hurt by monsters, he is so strong he can even bring dead people back to life!

Our culture are(is?) the horrible monsters. :ssh:

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 10:13 on May 27, 2013

spacetimecontinuu
Dec 31, 2004
hold the gate

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Trundel posted:

A couple of questions since I can't remember whether they have been addressed or not, Jalitha speaks our language, but does she have another language of her own people? Do all people speak the same language? If not have we picked up anything of her language from spending time with Jalitha? You said that there was no real trade between villages, but do we even understand the concept of large-scale trading in case that's what the monsters are for?

At least until I get an answer, I will vote to Hold the gate. Of our village. Which I now realize likely does not have a gate.

As stated earlier, yes, you have picked up bits of her language. She speaks another language and seems to speak yours fluently now.

The village has no gate. But you can hold it anyway.

I am going to start counting.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 13:43 on May 27, 2013

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

Here's my run-down of the situation.

A will get us killed. We cannot win against many-lots of trained warriors that have us out-teched by miles. We really don't want to demonstrate hostile intentions.

B.. Is an option, I s'pose, but where d we go from there? Also, the high priest's son fleeing on the cusp of manhood would be scandalous.

C: We're gonna gently caress up horribly. We're 11, and we've probably got a pidgin understanding of Jalitha's language at best. Might be worth a shot, though, 'cause all our other options seem doomed.

D: Gets us a reliable translator, at least. She's beaten up, her people won't like that. She'll be an outsider acting as a go-between for our high priest. OUR people won't like that. Still, we did save her all those years ago, and she doesn't seem to dislike our people, just the guy that beats the poo poo out of her constantly. I think this is our best shot at calming things.

E: We might just wait for the din to die down and see if things level out, but dad barely knows more about these guys than we do. He also has a volcanic temper and believes that Asherah will not let him die. If he fucks this up, all the lore of our village dies with him.

F: Will mark us as a traitorous little gently caress, and our dad will never let us get away with it. If Asherah really is out there, our journey will get INTERESTING.

G: Will get lots of people killed. If we rally enough people, we might be able to drown them in our own blood, but it'll be a loving massacre. Our people have no proper weapons and no training in war. Hell, other than dad's freqyent and savage beatings, we don't even brawl amongst ourselves.

H: ..I can find no flaw with this option. I suggest we build a gate with utmost speed, and hold that motherfucker.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

E.

And fantasize about holding gates while we stand silently.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

You stand there quietly and let your father deal with the outsiders. Mopo, Kikar, Mavar and Selk, your fellows, are still menacingly pointing their spears at the outsiders while yelling at them go. now joined by Pagam. The strangely dressed and pale skinned outsiders have their spears leveled, but seem to be remaining more calm.

You let your father handle the situation, without interference, standing at his side.

One of the men at the front has his palms opened outwards towards your father and is speaking in a calm tone. He taps his own chest once and says "Tudiya", smiling, then offers his hand out towards your father. "Zepath" the man says, pointing north, behind him. Your father frowns.

"In the name of Asherah, we have no food for you, we have no water and wish you gone, DEPART!" your father says.

The man smiles again, taps his own chest and says "Tudiya, then offers his hand out towards your father. Your father slaps it away. "Depart! We have no use for the spawn of demons!"

The man frowns slightly as his hand is batted away, but he tries to keep a calm tone, he speaks. From the scraps of linguistic knowledge you have, you catch the words "friend" and you are not sure about this next one, but it might be "adventure" or "to look" or "to find" or maybe "to exchange?" He turns and motions to the woman by the great furry monsters and says something. The woman takes a strangely shaped clay pot which you would not be able to identify as such, but which is actually a jug and pulls a stopper of some sort out of the top.

The woman hands it to the man and retreats back to be with the rest of the hairy monsters. The man takes the jug and drinks something out of it and makes an exaggerated smile, then offers it to your father with both hands and says words you do not understand. Your father takes the jug and looks at the man again. He continues with an exaggerated smile. Your father raises the jug to his lips and cautiously takes a small sip and yells out "UGHHH!" as he spits and drops the jug, which shatters to the ground. "POISON!" your father screams. You would have no frame of reference to know what was in the jug, but there is a strong smell in the air.

"GO!" your father screams. He takes a step back and takes the enormous shark tooth he wears around his neck off of it's string and wields it like a knife. "GO! We have no use for demons and the spawn of demons here! Crawl back to whatever pit you crawled out of and leave our people be or ASHERAH himself shall devour you!"

The eleven other men still have their spears leveled. The one standing closest to the empty handed one says something to his fellows, you do not understand it, though the word "king" might be one of the words he said? They remain stationary, spears leveled.

You turn for a moment and see that Jalitha is running as fast as she can towards you, carrying a basket of pearls which are splashing over the edge as she does. She has walked more slowly since you were a young child and her face is a pained expression but she is going as fast as she can.

She pushes past your father and kneels at the feet of the open handed man and clutches at his legs while sobbing. Your father seems rather surprised.

"JALITHA!" your father screams "GET BACK IN YOUR HUT!"

The strangers are all talking to each other now, rather loudly and seem shocked, you don't recognize a shield as a shield, but they lower theirs. Jalitha, still clutching the legs of the empty handed man looks up to him and is crying, you are having trouble understanding her but you hear the name "El" said a whole bunch, and possibly the phrase "In the name of El" and oh, this next bit is interesting, you caught this bit "son" "son" she says twice sobbing, pointing at you, you catch the name "Baitel" and "Enkidu". Wait. Wasn't that the story Jalitha told you about the wild savage Enkidu who was tamed by a temple slave? Jalitha continues to sob and speak quickly, far more quickly than you can keep track of, but this word comes up several times, she even points at your own people once. Jalitha told you lots of stories about people at the very edge of the world and how the Sky Giants save good little boys and girls from them. The word she says as she points at your people.

"Cannibals! Cannibals! Cannibals!" she wails and then something about El or in the name of El and she is speaking far too quickly for you to keep track anymore.

The calm faced man at the edge of the band of outsides roars a word you do not understand. He takes a step forward, his hands still empty of weapons and says words but you don't understand, he tries to grab you!

Your own countrymen are screaming now and your father cuts the edge of his palm with his giant shark tooth and begins to chant, you feel the wind begin to blow...

Jalitha screams "OG! They are going to save us, come!"

YOU...

OPTION A Take the strangers hand and flee behind him!
OPTION B Run away and try to find the other men from your village, who are out fishing!
OPTION C Run into the forest!
OPTION D Run into the village and join the women and children and tell THEM to run!
OPTION E Run, fetch a spear and fight!
OPTION F Fight now, without a spear!
OPTION G Say something to Jalitha (Specify)
OPTION H Say something to your father (Specify)
OPTION I Say something to the man at the front of the group of outsiders(Specify)
OPTION J Something else (Specify)

If you want to, feel free to join us on irc #madgod on synirc.net. The channel tends to always have some people in it and is especially active when updates go up.

If you do not know what IRC is, here is a web based chat version which will not require you to register or download anything: http://chat.mibbit.com/

Diogines fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 27, 2013

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Well gently caress, guess trusting Jalitha was the wrong option.

Changed my vote from B to A.

Raserys fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 27, 2013

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Something got cut off, edited it in at the very end ><.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Ahahahahaha you were all warned about the sea-witch! Vindication!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Um, read between the lines here guys.

Pretty sure our people are cannibals, and during the solstice ritual some unlucky boys get eaten, probably by other boys. And also pretty sure we're Jalitha's son, or at least not totally pure blood like the res of the village (as evidenced by our looking different, and also references to Enkidu). Why would she want to save us? Unless she thinks something bad is going to happen to us.

Voting A. Lets ditch this no horse popsicle stand and go find our own people, preferably people who don't worship teeth and blood and eat little boys.

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
OPTION A Take the strangers hand and flee behind him!

Going with Jalitha and the nice calm man, hopefully they spare Jorah too!

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
See? You guys thought our father would handle this reasonably. It's pretty obvious that we're her son now.

OPTION A

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
There isn't a run into the ocean option?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

J, if you want to. You can certainly try to make a run for the water.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Jalitha is going to get the entirety of our people killed, if Dad and Asherah don't take care of this Asherah's people certainly will.

A STORM IS COMING

Changed on page 30.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
!!!!

Paradox Personified fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 27, 2013