Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
So we only know a few words, but one of them is cannibal?

Seriously?

I can't imagine what kind of messed up stories she was telling us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Volmarias posted:

So we only know a few words, but one of them is cannibal?

Seriously?

I can't imagine what kind of messed up stories she was telling us.

You know a smattering of words from her. Not enough to engage in high finance, but enough to maybe get basic directions to a bathroom, not that your people have them. Cannibals are in many of her stories. Cannibal is one of them.

doritto
May 12, 2013

A Darker Porpoise posted:

Jalitha is going to get the entirety of our people killed, if Dad and Asherah don't take care of this Asherah's people certainly will.

A STORM IS COMING

It seems as if dad is the one who is bringing this storm though, since the wind blows after he cuts his hand. I'm going to have to go with A

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Ok then...

A.
AND BEFORE WE MOVE:
To Jalitha: Dad is calling Asherah. I will only come with you if you save the village from these strangers. Take me, save them.

Here is my reasoning. Where are we?

Jalitha is apparently our mom, or is for some odd reason claiming to be our Mom. Evidence supports that she believes this to be the case.
Jalitha has said that we are cannibals... Do we even know what that means?
Dad is now not talking to anyone and unavailable to reasoning. He is communing with the hungry god of our cannabilistic tribe, with some beginning effects.
If it comes to armed conflict our tribe is dead, unless Dad has divine WMDs... Lightning comes to mind since we are on the forest side of the village, but tsunami aren't out of the question. Maybe he can cause the ocean like interiors of human bodies to explode or something... We don't know.
Whatever the truth about our tribe we have not been initiated into these mysteries... (And potentially have just been fattened up for such an initiation. If Dad knows we are Jalitha's son then how has he interpreted the Will of Asherah in order to make us the next priest? Maybe he does not know and it is somehow just between the women. We know that Mom was said to be preggers. What if Mom's baby died and we were substituted? If so does Dad know? Is it !Ashera delivered this son from the Ocean? Did he know Jalitha was preggers? Was the dead baby taken to be Jalitha's and given to Asherah or something? There seems to be a missing baby. Presumably whatever it is, he is also not our father.)
Jalitha is ready for the road with the pearls, though we have no way of understanding that since we do not value pearls.
El does not seem the directly intervening type, though we have no way of understanding that.
It has not been specified whether or not Jorah is present. Some men are here with fishing spears, some men are fishing. We cannot count. Can we determine more and less? More strangers? More village men? (probably doesn't matter due to stone weapons and armor, but we don't know that.)

From our memorization practice what sort of access to we have to insight? You know, as in BOOM! A bunch of pieces of a story suddenly fit together. We do spend most of our time studying stories after all. If we try to put this together analytically we will likely be dead or enslaved. Asherah is on his way and negotiation is out of the question. Spontaneously converting tribe members to 'reason' is out of the question, given the possibility of a very visceral initiation and religion. Jorah is the only possible exception, if he already knows that we are Jalitha's son. Dad or Jalitha is going to die as a result of all this. Stupid strangers. Someday we will be nostalgic for our paradise before the stupid strangers got here... We have not encountered the particular culinary skills that might taint this yet.

I suspect that we would like to see Asherah in action. Does our curiosity out weigh our fear? If the foreigners don't want something potentially very bad to happen they need to off Dad right now. Likely Jalitha knows this.

If we have access to such insight then I vote A. If we go down that path, sadly we need to kill or at least really interrupt Dad. We believe in Asherah sufficiently to imagine something really bad is about to happen, don't we? We would need to tell Jalitha, if she is not already acting on this. She and the foreigners will be the only ones that understand.

Also, sadly, unless Dad's WMDs wipe out all of the foreigners, they are likely to kill most of us once violence begins. How do we best protect our tribe?

I fear our options are enslavement of our tribe or death. Even if not immediate, a king was mentioned... Though of course we have no idea what that means.

Finally, if Jorah is not present and Dad is dead or incapacitated, we are kidnapped, how will he respond to this? We he come looking for us? Will he be alone? If Dad lives, it is all just Will of Asherah and get another priest candidate from another village. What will Jorah do?

Sogol fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 27, 2013

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Let's blow this joint. Dad's casting a magic spell of some kind, though, so poo poo might be difficult. Still, I think it's pretty clear now that cannibalism does occur during the coming of age ceremony, or can, and that Jalitha is our mother.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.
Gonna go with A. Time to see the rest of the world.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Sogol posted:

It has not been specified whether or not Jorah is present. Some men are here with fishing spears, some men are fishing. We cannot count. Can we determine more and less? More strangers? More village men? (probably doesn't matter due to stone weapons and armor, but we don't know that.)

Six men are not out fishing. Those here. The rest are out fishing, a few hunting. Jorah is out fishing.

You are aware that there are more strangers than men from your tribe, now present, but that your tribe has more men than the strangers that you see. Who are mostly out fishing.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 27, 2013

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Really like this update, btw.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

As much as I would like to see us take up a mediating position between both parties as per Lanky Coconut Tree, I just don't think it's going to work. The outsider man is losing his cool, Dad is probably going to keep doing his voodoo unless the visitors run away immediately (and maybe even then), and our fellow villagers are freaking out. We're probably not in intentional danger from either side, but they're not going to stop and listen to an 11-year-old.

Getting the other men out here seems like our best option for both keeping the village safe and forcing a stalemate in which we might talk, especially if we can find Jorah. Worst case scenario is that reinforcements embolden the other villagers to attack, which is why we need Jorah; if he can remain level-headed and knock some sense into our father (as he has in the past), I think that would do wonders for everyone else's demeanor.

Last but not least, running away with the strangers is not only idiotically short-sighted from a practical perspective, it's also somewhat schizophrenic for our character. Being somewhat of an outcast does not make us ready to turn traitor to our entire people at the drop of a loving hat, especially now that we've developed a new interest in studying the sacred stories and being a part of said people.

XOXO
Mar 8, 2013

Ask me about being weaker than a 60 year-old British woman.
Voted E

edit: I voted E here but I meant to vote F. Please see my next post below for my actual vote.

XOXO fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 27, 2013

BoyG
Nov 24, 2004

Have you heard the tale of the Cannibal King of Kavodel?
I have to go with B as well.

We need to stay with our father until we can wield the might of Asherah.

Changed my vote to Not A

BoyG fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 27, 2013

The Bad Llama
Nov 22, 2004
The coke is just for color...
OPTION F Fight now, without a spear!

It's time to be a hot headed, big for our age Daddy's Boy with fists of fury. Jalitha could just be making all this up. Just like with the haircut, she may be doing something she thinks is helpful for us and really is just making our lives harder.

She did screw up once with the failed haircut, she may be trying to do it again.

Mr Apollo
Jan 1, 2013
B

Dad may hit us occasionally but besides that life here is pretty good, we don't need to be rescued. Trying to be diplomatic won't work because neither side is likely to stop and listen to what a 11 year old is saying. Going to get the men who are out fishing is the best option.

Changing my vote.

Mr Apollo fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 27, 2013

XOXO
Mar 8, 2013

Ask me about being weaker than a 60 year-old British woman.

By the time we get anyone from the boats, our 6 adults will be slaughtered. If we run with the women and children, we'll get eaten by monsters in the forest. We're also probably too little and weak to use a spear on a man. Put up dem dukes and protect our kin.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
G

"Julitha! You would have almost everybody I love murdered?"

I: "She LIES!"

Our village is about to be slaughtered in front of us on a lie. Does Julitha really think we could still love her after that?

A_Bug_That_Thinks fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 27, 2013

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Blah, I don't know what to vote, but consider this a vote against A.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Yea, I dont want to abandon everything I ever knew of a word. Voting Not-A

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
J aka Lanky Coconut Tree plan is a fine one, and so I vote for it. We don't know enough about what's going on here to just run off and leave everything behind, and it's more important now to stop any bloodshed before it begins.

Walkin Goon
Apr 4, 2011
Surprise surprise, our Dad's an rear end in a top hat, and Jalitha is salty over being enslaved and beaten over all those years. Shame we didn't have time to learn her intentions before this whole fiasco.

We know the word "Cannibal" in the strangers tongue, do we remember enough from Jalitha's stories to say something to the effect of "Stop, she (is) lying!" and "Not cannibals!" I imagine the men would be surprised to know someone native here can speak their tongue, even if aided greatly by gestures to show we're a primarily a fishing village. Could buy us some time, and maybe convince the strangers to at least reconsider slaughtering the whole village before learning the whole story.

Otherwise, I'm going to be looking putting up our dukes, or on reminding Jalitha that the village does not deserve this, nor do we and Jorah (he's been nice to her, right?).

e:

Voting J, Lanky Coconut Tree's plan.

Walkin Goon fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 27, 2013

kalam
Oct 30, 2010
Going to go with not-A here. We gotta stay the course with Asherah and his salty friends.

gnarl
Jul 28, 2010
Soiled Meat

Trundel posted:

J aka Lanky Coconut Tree plan is a fine one, and so I vote for it. We don't know enough about what's going on here to just run off and leave everything behind, and it's more important now to stop any bloodshed before it begins.

Voting J

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

HBar posted:

J, plan Lanky Coconut Tree. It might not work, but at least it doesn't betray anyone close to us. And we need more time to learn Asherah priest powers.

I really like J, plan Lanky Coconut Tree

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
A This place sucks, lets go.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

kalam posted:

Going to go with not-A here. We gotta stay the course with Asherah and his salty friends.

You mean:

(not changing my vote, I'm just promoting my vote icons :v:)

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 27, 2013

DCBomB
Sep 14, 2008

Not my village~

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Plan Lanky Coconut Tree is the only plan that won't end in complete heartbreak.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

Alrighty then folks, poo poo just got real.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

changing my vote from d to NOT A

1) It's short sighted to leave right before we start learning serious skills.

2) This won't be our only chance to go. Why not wait a couple more turns and see if we can't leave without getting our friends and family killed in the process? Even just from a coldly practical standpoint, there's no way abandoning the fish god's people in a crisis isn't going to bite us in the rear end later. :shrug:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

J

Lanky Coconut plan as the least likely to be disastrous.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

J aka Lanky Coconut Tree plan

I'm not so sure Jalitha is our birth-mother.
I'm less sure Asherah is a real deity.

J none the less.
+

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

It makes me so sad that option A is doing so well, especially in light of the fact that we just voted for Og to bond with his father and take his studies more seriously. Are we really the kind of 11 year old who runs away at the first sign of trouble? We can't abandon our parents, home, and people when things get tough. It is an act of cowardliness that I simply cannot abide!

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Theglavwen posted:

Yeah, not voting to abandon our village, our people, our family, particularly after we've just been impressed by Dad's lessons and the importance of learning Asherah's rituals, just because some new dudes have shown up and Jalitha's started freaking out and shouting gibberish. Do we know what 'Cannibals' means? Is it necessarily a problem if we do? Maybe it is part of Asherah's rituals, but we don't know, we don't know how. Sometimes everyone returns safe from the mystery rituals, so it doesn't seem like our village is secretly bringing up children as a succulent buffet, more, perhaps, that people who die in the ritual get eaten ritualistically, or something. We don't even go about eating people indiscriminately, as we know burial at sea is a big deal (don't we? I think that was in an update, but maybe that was just speculation).

The details we have are

Diogines posted:

The dead are carried out of the village and buried by the men. The women and children never join them, it is not a task for them.

Which could be entirely true. Or it could mean the men of our tribe practice ritual cannibalism of ALL of its dead.

Also, based on the possible discovery that the ritual of manhood entails cannibalism, what if that's why we haven't been taught any of the rituals or abilities: When our rite of manhood comes, we have to eat our father in order to become the new high priest. It's not uncommon for cannibalism to be associated with taking the power or wisdom of another, it would mesh with us learning these things when we are older, and it would be pretty fitting as a rite of passage in following Asherah Whose Hunger Is Great.

In any case, voting Janky Coconut Tree.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

It makes me so sad that option A is doing so well, especially in light of the fact that we just voted for Og to bond with his father and take his studies more seriously. Are we really the kind of 11 year old who runs away at the first sign of trouble? We can't abandon our parents, home, and people when things get tough. It is an act of cowardliness that I simply cannot abide!

Seconding this, and if Not-A is not a vote then B.

Seriously guys, what the hell? Are we supposed to be insane or have severe ADD or something? We just had an overwhelming vote to start taking our studies more seriously so that we can eventually lead the tribe as its high priest, and now we're willing to completely abandon it at the first sign of trouble? This sort of inconsistency is what got us smacked down hard in the last CYOA.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Genpei Turtle posted:

Seriously guys, what the hell? Are we supposed to be insane or have severe ADD or something? We just had an overwhelming vote to start taking our studies more seriously so that we can eventually lead the tribe as its high priest, and now we're willing to completely abandon it at the first sign of trouble? This sort of inconsistency is what got us smacked down hard in the last CYOA.

You were consistently mad.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Changed vote to Coconut Tree's plan (was A)

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

Genpei Turtle posted:

That vote in itself was a change from what we originally voted for. It was also a much smaller vote from the previous, meaning fewer people could've shifted the vote in another way.

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

I selflessly rescued an abandoned cat during the COVID-19 Pandemic :3:

A all the way.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Not A

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
:woop: :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

We can try to confirm Jalitha's claim independently. It sounds like these foreigners were able to successfully trade with the village of Zepath. That would be a good place to visit in the future.