Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Someone went ahead and drew the logical conclusion to Sekibanki's flying head attack. Also, Inazuma Kick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012
I dunno, what needs to be fixed here? Demo scoring strategies aren't usually very representative of what will happen in the full version. That run is amusing, and might have a good short term score, but ultimately ends up with only ~50k PIV (the eternal god stat for score) and no resources left at the end of stage 3. And even though he earned 9 lives, he never actually goes above three in stock, because getting them that way requires spending your bombs and suiciding all over and walking a razor edge on the boss attacks you can't spare bombs for.

Sakuya can abuse her bombs for graze farming and net a much higher PIV, I think. Reimu can... ... ok, nothing really, Reimu sucks for score given the current mechanics.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Reimu can literally swat stuff out of the sky, she doesn't need anything. :colbert:

Also, I know DDC stage 3 has a snippet of IN stage 4 in it, but does anyone hear EoSD stage 2 in DDC stage 1?

Fighting Falken
Aug 13, 2012
Those eye lasers the second boss throws at you are odd, they look like you can graze them in that gap in the middle but it's not the case at all. This game looks like it'll be really fun though, the bosses have tricky patterns but I thought they were fun, and the collection mechanic is really nice, even if it needs a bit of tweaking with bombs.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

So did I miss something?

When the hell was another full episode of Memories of Phantasm announced? :psyduck:

EDIT: This one starts off right after SA Extra, then flashbacks to EoSD Extra. It's the first of a two-parter.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 27, 2013

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Hong what the gently caress are you doing with your fingers that looks very painful

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"
memories of cthulu

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

BlitzBlast posted:

So did I miss something?

When the hell was another full episode of Memories of Phantasm announced? :psyduck:

Ia! Ia! China f'thagn!

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Wait, why does she have 6 misshapen fingers on her back hand? And whatever the gently caress that is in the front goddamn.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Ranpire posted:

I dunno, what needs to be fixed here? Demo scoring strategies aren't usually very representative of what will happen in the full version. That run is amusing, and might have a good short term score, but ultimately ends up with only ~50k PIV (the eternal god stat for score) and no resources left at the end of stage 3. And even though he earned 9 lives, he never actually goes above three in stock, because getting them that way requires spending your bombs and suiciding all over and walking a razor edge on the boss attacks you can't spare bombs for.

Sakuya can abuse her bombs for graze farming and net a much higher PIV, I think. Reimu can... ... ok, nothing really, Reimu sucks for score given the current mechanics.

MarisaB is literally broken and scoring depends entirely on bombing. If you play no-bomb it's an amazing game but the balance issues are... nontrivial.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

BlitzBlast posted:

So did I miss something?

EDIT: This one starts off right after SA Extra, then flashbacks to EoSD Extra. It's the first of a two-parter.

Do you have a link?

EDIT: I thought this was it, but I didn't see Chinathulu anywhere.

EDIT 2: Found another one. Chinathulu remains elusive.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 28, 2013

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

And I can't seem to play DDC in a window. Like, at all. It loads up fine in full-screen mode (which is problematic given that I'm on a laptop), but any time I try for windowed it freezes on the loading screen. :sigh:

Anyone else had/having this problem?

Holy Beergut
Feb 2, 2010
HM runs slow as molasses on my current laptop, guess I might have to wait until I get a new one before I can dive into it. :(

And in other news, pet shaming has reached Gensokyo.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

So TasoFro released a new patch on their site.

http://www.tasofro.net/touhou135/

It fixed that bug that caused the game to crash if you use Koishi's rose vine skill. I dunno if they changed/fixed anything else, but the final boss still isn't included in multiplayer, so I guess there's gonna be yet another patch in the near future.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
For whatever reason Miko's attitude never really stood out for me until this game.

I guess it's the cape.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
Is anyone else having problems getting these patches to work? I keep all of my Touhou stuff in its own folder, but the patch still tried to mess around in Program Files. That led to my computer freezing up and the patch not working. Similarly, the 1.01 patch never even asked where the game was located so it didn't do anything. It's not a big deal because I haven't had any problems with the unpatched version of the game, but I was wondering if anyone that didn't place the game in the default directory has had any success with the patches.

KataraniSword posted:

And I can't seem to play DDC in a window. Like, at all. It loads up fine in full-screen mode (which is problematic given that I'm on a laptop), but any time I try for windowed it freezes on the loading screen. :sigh:

Anyone else had/having this problem?

When you unzip the game, it comes in a folder "th14(bunch of Japanese)." If you haven't, you need to delete all the Japanese characters in the folder name. Other than that, I don't know what other issues are causing the game to crash.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Trihugger posted:

Is anyone else having problems getting these patches to work? I keep all of my Touhou stuff in its own folder, but the patch still tried to mess around in Program Files. That led to my computer freezing up and the patch not working. Similarly, the 1.01 patch never even asked where the game was located so it didn't do anything. It's not a big deal because I haven't had any problems with the unpatched version of the game, but I was wondering if anyone that didn't place the game in the default directory has had any success with the patches.

For the 1.01 patch, I had to put all my HM files into c:\tasofro\th135\ to make the patch work. Thankfully for the 1.02 patch TasoFro realized that's the dumbest thing ever and just lets you select a path to your HM folder.

Maximum Chenergy
Aug 30, 2007

Its black mist swallows all.

Trihugger posted:

When you unzip the game, it comes in a folder "th14(bunch of Japanese)." If you haven't, you need to delete all the Japanese characters in the folder name. Other than that, I don't know what other issues are causing the game to crash.

I keep all my touhou related stuff in Program Files and haven't had a single issue with any of the patches, although the new patch system doesn't recognise my 1.02 of EoSD but that isn't really a huge concern like computer freezing.

What I have had a problem with is getting the new tasofro patch to have the right file path. Kind of annoying that windows can't handle a \ in Japanese.

Maximum Chenergy fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 28, 2013

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Maximum Chenergy posted:

I keep all my touhou related stuff in Program Files and haven't had a single issue with any of the patches, although the new patch system doesn't recognise my 1.02 of EoSD but that isn't really a huge concern like computer freezing.

What I have had a problem with is getting the new tasofro patch to have the right file path. Kind of annoying that windows can't handle a \ in Japanese.

It totally does, it just happens to look like a yen sign.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Has anyone else had issues with 13.5 crashing at the end of the cutscene with the final boss(before the fight starts)? If so, have you found a way to fix it? :saddowns:

Besides that and multiplayer crashing a bunch I'm really pleased with it, the controls are pretty simple on the surface which made it surprisingly easy to get into, but it's actually a pretty complex system that I'm loving the more I get into the game.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

lohli posted:

Has anyone else had issues with 13.5 crashing at the end of the cutscene with the final boss(before the fight starts)? If so, have you found a way to fix it? :saddowns:

Besides that and multiplayer crashing a bunch I'm really pleased with it, the controls are pretty simple on the surface which made it surprisingly easy to get into, but it's actually a pretty complex system that I'm loving the more I get into the game.

If you set applocale to Japanese the game won't crash at the final boss anymore. Also, any other crashes seem to be fixed with the 1.02 patch so far.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Trihugger posted:

Yeah, I did that. And, I mean, I've played through the demo to completion (on Easy mode :downs:)... in fullscreen, with everything squashed and vaguely more Hidemari Sketch than the art normally is. However, whenever I try to play it windowed, it freezes - not crashes, but hangs - on the startup "now loading".

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

leather fedora posted:

For whatever reason Miko's attitude never really stood out for me until this game.

I guess it's the cape.

For me, it's the supervillain swagger victory pose.

How can you not love that.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Oh man, I knew she laughed but I never caught the (super-short) first and the third stages of her three-stage laugh.

Also Mystia has the power to make her fingers meld together

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Well of course.

She is a bird. How else could she fly? Honestly.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

ProfessorProf posted:

For me, it's the supervillain swagger victory pose.

How can you not love that.

Can you make a gif of the intro to a Miko vs Futo match? They both turn around at the same time, only Futo finger-guns her and it's basically the perfect intro to any fight ever.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

a cartoon duck posted:

Can you make a gif of the intro to a Miko vs Futo match? They both turn around at the same time, only Futo finger-guns her and it's basically the perfect intro to any fight ever.

Bonus:

I basically love every victory pose in this game.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

This is great, you're great. Thank you.

quote:

You know, when the demo first came out I remember thinking the new art direction was kinda crap and vastly preferring the old, more cartoony style of IaMP and onwards, but HM has really managed to win me over with its animations across all characters.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
This is a beautiful as gently caress game. :allears:

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked

Cirno's reaction face as they both point at each is a nice touch.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

That is not a finger gun.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

ProfessorProf posted:

Severely disappointing by the lack of huge testicles in this one.

Zenephant
Dec 31, 2009

The HM soundtrack isn't bad either, I especially like the new version of Cosmic Mind and the main theme of the game. The sound effects are sweet as well.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

It's still a problem that the game is kind of half-finished.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Volt Catfish posted:

It's still a problem that the game is kind of half-finished.

I'd say it's at least 3/4 finished. They patched away most of the major bugs already, and the main thing missing is Kokoro's full moveset.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Unlike some people, I knew the Taoists were the best camp when I first saw them because I am really smart and have an eye for quality.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
The Daoists own. One is a spaced out zombie, one is an audaciously evil hermit, one is a supervillian-esque egomaniac (now with a cape to match), one has ghost legs, and one is Futo.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Ammat The Ankh posted:

The Daoists own. One is a spaced out zombie, one is an audaciously evil hermit, one is a supervillian-esque egomaniac (now with a cape to match), one has ghost legs, and one is Futo.

This guy knows what's up

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'm not sure I understand the situation, but as far as I can tell, Seiga, a "wicked" hermit with an ageless body and a penchant for animated dead bodies, crossed the seas to Japan. She did this so she could spread Daoism and/or be a larger fish in a smaller pond . Once in Japan, she converts Miko, who was highly regarded as a statesman and a moral person.

Later Miko and Futo (a fellow Daoist), purposely spread the worship of Buddhism for political ends. This inadvertently starts a bloody war, during which they fake their deaths. After--or during--this, Miko and Futo placed their mortal souls in material objects, granting themselves near immortality, in a fashion similar to Seiga. Tojiko, who may have been Miko's consert, also tries to become an immortal. However, Futo sabotages her efforts, killing Tojiko.

Is that about right?
Because if so, that is metal as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

You forgot the part where they all get sealed for a couple centuries and chill the hell out. Basically all of the major players in Gensokyo have dramatic backstories nobody cares about since it's been so long.

Tojiko is probably my favorite of the TD characters just for how hilarious her backstory is. She gets doublecrossed by Futo, and gets killed instead of gaining immortality... and is totally okay with it since being a ghost is kind of awesome.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 31, 2013