Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
I'm planning on buying a new midsize sedan in two to three months, and I really like the '14 Mazda6. The only problem I have, though, is that every model with automatic transmission comes with a poorly reviewed GPS / infotainment display. I'm a pretty big audiophile, so I'm planning to spend around $1500 on speakers, subs, amp, head unit, etc.

My question is: If I swap out the stock GPS / display unit for another unit (either a different infotainment display or a "standard" deck) will I lose partial functionality (car information readouts)? If so, is it feasible to keep the standard head unit and still get good audio quality out of my speakers / subs? I don't know a whole lot about car audio, but would the standard unit still allow for high pass filter and good audio? If not, is there a way around this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

JackRabbitStorm posted:

I picked up an 03 Explorer today and put in my AVH-P4200DVD in it.

I wired it up correctly according to the directions that came with the wiring kit. It was a bit different then previous installs I've done as it comes with a factory amp/sub and rear DVD system.

Now when the radio turns on I have a loud POP from the back where the sub is.

Instinct tells me that I have a bad ground (it didn't do this with the stock radio) , but just checking if anyone else has any other ideas.
This is perfectly normal for tons of decks/amps that don't have "soft turn-on". You can make a little delay circuit to prevent it but it's not usually worth the trouble.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

ryan_woody posted:

My question is: If I swap out the stock GPS / display unit for another unit (either a different infotainment display or a "standard" deck) will I lose partial functionality (car information readouts)? If so, is it feasible to keep the standard head unit and still get good audio quality out of my speakers / subs? I don't know a whole lot about car audio, but would the standard unit still allow for high pass filter and good audio? If not, is there a way around this?
I don't know about car specific features, but the Mazda/MZR/whatever thread might. Using something like a line level convertor or an amp with high level inputs should sound just fine if it's installed properly, but they're usually kind of annoying to do so.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I've narrowed my head unit choices down to three. I'd appreciate some advice.

I could get the Alpine CDE-HD148BT, which has all the features I want, and a low-res display:

Or, for $50 more, I could get the CDE-HD149BT, which is identical except for having a fold-down faceplate, a higher-resolution, easier to use and better looking display, and an aux port in the back instead of the front:

But if I'm gonna spring for that, I could get a Pioneer DEH-80PRS for the same price. It's a fancy audiophile receiver and has more DSP and sound setup options than the Alpines, but it doesn't have HD Radio. I'm not sure how much I'll use HD Radio, but it'd be nice to have the option.

Anyone here owned any of these three?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

atomicthumbs posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a head unit that's not a total pain to browse an iPod or flash drive with? Preferably, it'd have a non-segmented, readable display that I can set to green to match the rest of the lights in my car.

I'd like one with fancy DSP functions to make sure I'm not gonna want to upgrade later; HD radio would be cool, and CD functionality isn't necessary.

Not sure what you mean about being a pain to browse, so I have no idea what will work for you.

I have a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X995 (not sure what the current version is, as this one is discontinued), and it's browsing seems fairly typical to me - you click one button to select 'music', then can choose from Albums, Artists, Playlists, Genre, etc. You then scroll through the items available, and select it, and it then drops to the next level (from Artist -> Album -> Song). I think my previous Alpine was a little better ergonomically from the head unit, but the Kenwood is very easy with the remote, and both Kenwood and Alpine head units allow you to change color of the display (hell, probably all of the non-Kmart specials do now).

You can also set up specific speaker to listening position distances, so the head puts in delays to make your 'spot' the center of the listening environment, very much like a good modern home receiver, just without the automatic via microphone detection.

I got this unit specifically because of the level of adjustment in the EQ/DSP stuff, but once I upgraded all the speakers and sub to quality units, I ended up running it very close to 'flat' anyway, which seems to be true of most higher-end units I've ever had. Once you no longer have to compensate for the terrible factory speakers response curves, you only need to tune to the environment. I would still get a unit with the speaker distance setting ability though, it's so much better than a simple fader/balance setup in my opinion, and you can set the distance of the sub also.

Edit: You posted again with your narrowed selection while I was typing that. :argh:

Personally, I don't like front aux - I'd rather run a cable to my glove box, where I can put the Ipod or thumb drive and have them out of sight. So I'd go with whichever of the rear-aux units you like better. They both have a pretty great feature set, and all of the adjustments you could ask for it looks like. The Pioneer even steps up to auto-adjustment with an included microphone, which, if it works as good as the Onkyo home units I've had, is a pretty awesome feature for setting up your baseline EQ and speaker distances.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 26, 2013

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Whenever I plug my phone or iPod into my headunit (3.5mm), I get interference from the ignition (crackling with my iPod, engine buzz with my phone). Would just rewiring my cigarette lighter straight to the battery fix it? I can't think of a much better way to avoid weird grounding issues, which is what I'm assuming the problem is.

Doing that would also solve the other annoying problem of it being ignition-switched, which drives me insane.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

I've narrowed my head unit choices down to three. I'd appreciate some advice.

Not one of the three but my Kenwood KDC-X597 has fantastic bluetooth compatibility and a front aux port. Very pleased with it + the ipod surfing capability.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Hypnolobster posted:

Whenever I plug my phone or iPod into my headunit (3.5mm), I get interference from the ignition (crackling with my iPod, engine buzz with my phone). Would just rewiring my cigarette lighter straight to the battery fix it? I can't think of a much better way to avoid weird grounding issues, which is what I'm assuming the problem is.

Doing that would also solve the other annoying problem of it being ignition-switched, which drives me insane.

Fix the ground on the stereo, and get a better cable for the iPod connection.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Pyle PL573BL 5-Inch x 7-Inch and 6-Inch x 8-Inch 300 Watt Three-Way Speakers for $22.(normally $64)

Are Pyle speakers any good? I've heard to avoid their head units, but the reviews on the speakers are good.

Do I need more than 50w to push these, or should they be fine just off the head unit?

Edit: is there a debate between crimping and soldering?

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 27, 2013

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

RodShaft posted:

Pyle PL573BL 5-Inch x 7-Inch and 6-Inch x 8-Inch 300 Watt Three-Way Speakers for $22.(normally $64)

Are Pyle speakers any good? I've heard to avoid their head units, but the reviews on the speakers are good.

Do I need more than 50w to push these, or should they be fine just off the head unit?

Edit: is there a debate between crimping and soldering?

Pyle seems to be on the same level as BOSS Audio. poo poo.

I'm sure they are better than stock, and for $22 might be worth it, but don't expect anything special.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Geirskogul posted:

Fix the ground on the stereo, and get a better cable for the iPod connection.

It's the same cable, actually. Just 3.5mm. No bad sounds at all unless I plug into the respective power cables.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

JackRabbitStorm posted:

Pyle seems to be on the same level as BOSS Audio. poo poo.

I'm sure they are better than stock, and for $22 might be worth it, but don't expect anything special.
So if I'm going for best bang for the buck looks like I should spend a little more and get Sony or Pioneer?

My Focus has 4 6x8 speakers (one in each door) should I go for matching speakers in all four doors, or is there a better kind for the front vs. the back?

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

RodShaft posted:

So if I'm going for best bang for the buck looks like I should spend a little more and get Sony or Pioneer?

My Focus has 4 6x8 speakers (one in each door) should I go for matching speakers in all four doors, or is there a better kind for the front vs. the back?

I've always matched them, but I'm anal about poo poo like that.

I would suggest going for Pioneer, Sony or some other mid range speakers.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Nobody's ever regretted a solid set of Pioneers.

I'd put Pyle/Pyramid crap in my old beat-up truck that's noisy as poo poo anyways, but not in anything decent.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

If you routinely have people in the back (or have money to burn), then I'd match them. Otherwise, if you're on a budget, put good ones up front and ignore the back - most of what you're hearing is from the front anyway.

Like Jonny said, nothing wrong with Pioneer. Their stuff is surprisingly cheap for what you get.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

How about 2-way vs. 3-way vs. 4-way? does this make that much of a difference?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

:quagmire:

2 way is usually fine for a car, personally I'd spend the money to get components instead of 3 ways. That's just my opinion though..

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

:quagmire:

2 way is usually fine for a car, personally I'd spend the money to get components instead of 3 ways. That's just my opinion though..

I can drop 3-ways in and be done. Also they're cheaper. I guess I could fit a 5.25 an a tweeter in the space.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

Lowclock posted:

I would skip the Alpines. They're not even as good as the previous gen Type X's, which weren't very good to begin with, let alone good enough justify their insane price tag. Hiding under that huge frame and giant rubber magnet cover is still a little 117 oz motor and a 2 1/2" voice coil. 1 12" may or may not end up sounding better than 2 10"s, but it's mostly down to install over subs. I usually recommend going with 1 larger sub over 2 smaller ones.

Ported boxes are a better choice today mostly because motors and suspensions have improved a lot over the years making the advantages of a sealed box kind of unnecessary. Ported boxes are usually louder, more efficient, and have better power handling, while sealed boxes can be smaller and often have a flatter response, both of which are pretty irrelevant unless you only have a tiny bit of space or want to impress an RTA.

What kind of box do you have the 10"s in right now? (pictures would be helpful) There's a lot of really crappy prefab boxes out there that could make things sound a lot worse than they could.
I didn't post my box (hur hur) yet but I went ahead and got a new box anyway. The previous one (some Bassworx thing) was coming apart from heat (and being lovely in general). It also revealed some other problems with it:
- Shared enclosure for the two subs.
- Relatively short ports.
- Again, poo poo construction.

I replaced it with another pre-fab box and saw a pretty huge difference. The sound gets deeper, is more consistent without a noticeable hump (I had to tweak the EQ like crazy before to get a more gradual curve), and overall sounds quite a bit more accurate and clean.
The subs themselves have served me pretty well so far but if this didn't work out and the subs were completely to blame, I'd be moving to a single JL 10W7 or 12W7. Or at least something equivalent in quality but cheaper (which I hear is definitely out there). A local shop often has pretty decent prices for these subs.
I still consider doing it, but I'm exercising some restraint.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

atomicthumbs posted:

I've narrowed my head unit choices down to three. I'd appreciate some advice...

But if I'm gonna spring for that, I could get a Pioneer DEH-80PRS for the same price. It's a fancy audiophile receiver and has more DSP and sound setup options than the Alpines, but it doesn't have HD Radio. I'm not sure how much I'll use HD Radio, but it'd be nice to have the option.

Anyone here owned any of these three?

I might be to late and while not exactly the same I have the deh-p99rs in the fiat and it is by far the best car stereo out there. The 80prs is the similar and shares some of the same features like the time alignment and better processing than any of the other units you listed.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
I'm thinking about building a fibreglass sub box to fit inside my spare tire. My tires are only 185/65-r15, so the enclosure isn't going to be huge. I already got a good deal on a decent quality amp that is probably way more powerful than I need. I also got a good price on a decent 10" sub, but I am guessing that it would be too big? I guess my question is whether a undersized enclosure will ruin the sound quality even when playing on low volume? A big box in the boot isn't an option.

Edit- My maths based no rim size gives me a theoretical max of 21 litres, but I will probably get no more than 12-15 litres.

Humbug fucked around with this message at 10:19 on May 31, 2013

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Humbug posted:

I'm thinking about building a fibreglass sub box to fit inside my spare tire. My tires are only 185/65-r15, so the enclosure isn't going to be huge. I already got a good deal on a decent quality amp that is probably way more powerful than I need. I also got a good price on a decent 10" sub, but I am guessing that it would be too big? I guess my question is whether a undersized enclosure will ruin the sound quality even when playing on low volume? A big box in the boot isn't an option.
It's not really ideal, but you should be able to do a pretty nice sealed box in there no problem. Brace it up real well and cram a bunch of polyfill in there and you should be able to make something that sounds great.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

Lowclock posted:

It's not really ideal, but you should be able to do a pretty nice sealed box in there no problem. Brace it up real well and cram a bunch of polyfill in there and you should be able to make something that sounds great.

Thanks. A sealed box was always the plan. I guess a reflex box that small would only sound like a series of farts. There is some space between the top of the spare and the boot floor I could also expand into.

As a follow-up, the sub I'm looking at is a dual coil 2*4 ohm unit rated for 400w rms. The amp is rated at 480w rms at 4 ohms, but can apparently handle 2-8 ohms. I am guessing I should wire the coils in series giving 8 ohms rather than in parallel giving 2 ohms, since I don't care to much about absolute power, and the amp being slightly too powerful for the sub? Am I correct in thinking higher resistance gives less heat build-up in the amp?

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
15L would be enough for a pair of the sundown audio sd2-8 subs like I just got to build in the console for the crown vic. The are supposed to be pretty good and the have very shallow depth requirements as well. I hope to install mine this week.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B3Y4D9Q

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

Holdbrooks posted:

15L would be enough for a pair of the sundown audio sd2-8 subs like I just got to build in the console for the crown vic. The are supposed to be pretty good and the have very shallow depth requirements as well. I hope to install mine this week.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B3Y4D9Q

Thanks for the tip, but I'm in Europe, and shipping/taxes on those will probably double the price. I found the SA-8 for sale here, but its more than $300, witch seems a bit steep compared to the 10" I found for less than $100(usually$250). The web-store selling them also looked super sketchy. I did find some Cadance S2W8 for a reasonable price, but they seem to be all about sound pressure and ported boxes.

These are also available at reasonable prices, but mounting depth shouldn't be at that much of a premium. http://www.helixhifi.com/products/product_details.asp?item_id=142203

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
I figured as much with the liters vs cubic foot but I would have though they would have a distributed there since they are made In china anyway.

But as to your other question about resistance your amp unless a higher end regulated one will put out more power at 2ohm vs 8ohm I would guess that since it is 480w at 4 it would be more like 600w at 2 and 300w at 8. It should say in the specs.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Humbug posted:

Thanks. A sealed box was always the plan. I guess a reflex box that small would only sound like a series of farts. There is some space between the top of the spare and the boot floor I could also expand into.

As a follow-up, the sub I'm looking at is a dual coil 2*4 ohm unit rated for 400w rms. The amp is rated at 480w rms at 4 ohms, but can apparently handle 2-8 ohms. I am guessing I should wire the coils in series giving 8 ohms rather than in parallel giving 2 ohms, since I don't care to much about absolute power, and the amp being slightly too powerful for the sub? Am I correct in thinking higher resistance gives less heat build-up in the amp?
Run it at 2 ohms. If it's too much, you can always turn the gain down.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Are these MBQuart component speakers likely to be any good?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

atomicthumbs posted:

They're pretty decent. You could certainly do much worse. MB Quart really loves their titanium tweeters and have been known to be really bright, but nothing that the -3 or -6 pads or a little treble adjustment can't fix.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

atomicthumbs posted:

I had the 6.5" version of those (ONX216) in my Altima.

They're okay, but MB Quart quality has really gone down since they moved production to China, customer service has gone to the shitter since MaxxSonics (owner of Hifonics and Crunch) got ahold of them. The tweeters were also painfully bright, even on the lowest setting on the crossover, and prone to crackling. Don't believe the "German engineering" claim either, most of Maxx's stuff is either US or Chinese designed, and almost all of their brands are manufactured in China now.

They used to be fantastic when MB Quart was still a German company.

That said, they're not terrible for the price, but I'd probably lean more toward Infinity's Reference components (and that's the direction I'll probably take on my current car).

Lowclock posted:

MB Quart really loves their titanium tweeters and have been known to be really bright, but nothing that the -3 or -6 pads or a little treble adjustment can't fix.

The Onyx line uses poly.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jun 1, 2013

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

atomicthumbs posted:

For $30 more, I really like these in my car.

They don't include the adjustable crossover, instead they have integrated crossovers so you don't have to worry about where to stick the extra piece. I have plenty of tuning in my head unit so the lack of the adjustment in the crossover wasn't an issue for me. They also have better power handling, if that's an issue for you (50 watts rms vs 35).

If the cost difference is a big deal, you can step down to the Prime series - Found here. Specs are closer to (but still slightly better than) the MB Quartz, for $5 less.

I do think the Rockford's are a deeper profile though, so check fitment first.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

The Onyx line uses poly.
Yes, for the woofers. The tweeters are "titanium". Who cares, either way they're going to have a really strong high end.

hassan
Jun 23, 2012

4-20 smok wed
I did a search and couldn't find what I was looking for, so I'll ask away. I have an '07 Honda S2000 and I'm looking to upgrade the head unit from the lovely Pioneer unit that has Bluetooth voice features but not audio streaming. I won't be upgrading the speakers or adding subwoofers/amps right now, but it's very possible in the future. My specific goals are, in descending order:

(1) Maximizing sound quality from my iPhone streaming via Bluetooth to the head unit
(1a) Having it be Bluetooth Audio-enabled
(2) Having several outputs available for the ability to add amps, sub(s), etc. in the future
(3) Having RDS available

I'm a budding audiophile so all the songs on my phone are 320 kbps++, and I don't believe there would be degradation going via Bluetooth to the head unit. Virtuall all head units I saw on Crutchfield had the DAC bypass feature already if that's applicable. I tried to do some research on the quality of the sound cards in head units to try to find the most optimal one but it didn't amount to much. A friend confirms my Crutchfield.com search as the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997 being my ideal purchase, but I wanted to run it by you guys first.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Lowclock posted:

Yes, for the woofers. The tweeters are "titanium". Who cares, either way they're going to have a really strong high end.

How'd I manage to poke a hole in the tweeters from my set then? :saddowns: It was very much some form of plastic.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

How'd I manage to poke a hole in the tweeters from my set then? :saddowns: It was very much some form of plastic.
It might just be titanium sputtered onto plastic or something since the manual calls them "titanium coated", but even if it is pure titanium they are thin enough that they are not invincible.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Does anyone know of a Ford OEM head unit that will make a good replacement for an 02 Thunderbird? It's a double din 6 disk changer unit. It's for a family member that just wants to replace their broken unit with an OEM style unit.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

hassan posted:

A friend confirms my Crutchfield.com search as the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997 being my ideal purchase, but I wanted to run it by you guys first.

I can't speak to that exact head unit but I've run Kenwood Excelon head units since about 2004 (I've had 3 of them in various cars) and I've been pleased overall with the sound quality, durability, and features. I only play MP3s from a hard wired player.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
A buddy got a deal on 3 used Phoenix Gold Tantrum 12" subs for cheap. Anyone know where to get the T/S parameters of these ? If I can get measurements I'd like to build a slot ported box for them. If not, I'll do a sealed enclosure.

In a sealed enclosure is it better to have each sub in it's individual compartment or can all 3 share the airspace ? They're be powered by a Alpine monoblock that does 1000w rms @ 2 ohms. I believe these are 8 ohm drivers, so 3 of them would make for a 3 ohm load correct ?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

jonathan posted:

In a sealed enclosure is it better to have each sub in it's individual compartment or can all 3 share the airspace ? They're be powered by a Alpine monoblock that does 1000w rms @ 2 ohms. I believe these are 8 ohm drivers, so 3 of them would make for a 3 ohm load correct ?
It kind of depends on the setup, but usually it's better to have separate enclosures if the boxes can be identical. If you're making some custom deal where each of the individual boxes would have to be a different shape, then you're probably better off just sharing the airspace between them instead.

If they're dual voice coil, 8/6=1.33. If they're single, 8/3=2.66. Either way, you'll want to parallel all the coils.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

As for specs - they're long removed from Phoenix Gold's website (the Tantrum line is from.. 2001 or so, I think?), but I bet their tech support still has that info.

From their website:

support@phoenixgold.com

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 8, 2013