Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Pope
Feb 18, 2007
http://steamcommunity.com/id/454616/

Used to play alot of RO and RO2. Any free keys would be put to good use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microsoft Weird
Sep 11, 2007

E.Nigma posted:

Tripwire has made their first smartest decision. Team kills are now -2 points and wounding is -1 point. The best part is forgiving a team kill will remove the point penalty.

Yes I know people are going to be sperging when you don't forgive them.

This is a good start. Do awful artillery strikes (10+ friendlies killed) still auto-kick commanders?

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Additionally, the maps with a lot of jungle in them are just a clusterfuck. Playing as Japanese my team found that the only way to reliably advance was to Banzai charge every time, otherwise you'd just get sniped off by MGs invisible and hidden in the bushes, or the ever-deadly flamethrower. The city landscapes are not nearly as bad and I have a lot more fun in them, but having the jungle maps go as "Lose until you can convince people to group up, then Banzai and win" isn't as much so. Not to mention that the bushes are very good at hiding defenders, which means that you're looking for olive helmets in the jungle, but make sure you don't stop to look at the details to see if he's an enemy or not because he's already seen you and *btam* you're dead.

Your success as a group is more dependent on competent squad leaders using smokes, and larger team map awareness. Additonally, as you learn the new maps you'll understand your capabilities much better. Don't rule out flanking for the teamkill risk, that's honestly a piece of game design. Flanking tactics are very effective for many control points on all the maps in Rising Storm. They work best when you force friendly map awareness by calling your squad's flank maneuver over voicechat, and by announcing the arrival of recon planes for BOTH friend and foe so everyone knows where the enemy really is, and noone gets caught out for camping too long. MGs, flames, and grenades are really the strongest tools to stop a banzai charge. I hardly expect anyone to use banzai against a flamethrower as a primary tactic.

Microsoft Weird fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 27, 2013

Orv
May 4, 2011
As someone who never reached that mid-2000's hate for WW2 shooters (though I definitely got tired of them), I'm really enjoying this so far. It also feels different from RO2 but maybe I just didn't play enough of RO2 for that to really be something I should ruminate on.

Mushball
May 23, 2012
I swear as allies on Guadalcanal your are busy fighting a unit comprised almost entirely of ghosts that kills you and your guys with no discernible way to find them instead of living Japanese soldiers. Maybe this is due to the map being set at night or my inability to spot targets in cover, but I can't seem to find the enemy team before they shoot me from god knows where.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I can corroborate that story, except on occasion the ghosts become corporeal and there are fifty of them in your goddamn hut and they stab the poo poo out of you.

Orv fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 27, 2013

EvilHobo
Dec 28, 2008
I wonder if the Japanese sprinting with the weapon in their right hand has historical precedence or if it is there purely for gameplay purposes. Probably the latter, because I would imagine Tripwire has a picture of a Japanese soldier holding the weapon in one hand.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197976387689/

I want to complain also! About things!

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Since using a bolt action rifle during running was something you did not do, countries drilled their own ways to handle a rifle while running.

For example, in RO2, the difference in carrying a rifle between the germans and soviets is spot on. The way the germans carry it on the right hand whenever not using it can be studied here: http://www.dererstezug.com/HandletheRifle.htm

Due to the fact that americans used semi-automatic and automatic weapons in greater numbers and thus firikg while moving started to be a more viablr tactic in close quarters, drilling a way to carry a rifle became less important. It was more of a priority to keep a two handed grip on your firearm and running was done by swinging it from side to side in your front. Just like in the game.

However, as far as I can tell, the Japanese rifle gait and their mannerism to handle the bayonet seems to be correct. I tried to find some online material about this to prove it, but I remember reading a book about this some years ago and from what I played, nothing to complain.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 27, 2013

private message
Aug 22, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]
Does anyone have an extra key? Much appreciated!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/dickbuffmancx/

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

What's the likelihood of modders crossing the streams with servers running US/ Germany or Japan / Russia?

Znyp
Jan 23, 2003
I'd love to try the beta out, mucho appreciated :)

http://steamcommunity.com/id/znyp

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

I guess this could be said about most team based games but man when your team is awful things can stop being fun really fast. Points are lost in an instant when half your team insists on peeking out the windows of buildings across the street from them rather than use their banzai charge ability to actually retake ground.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One annoying bug i found is that if you get left behind when the enemy caps a point and you're placed outside the combat zone and get the red vision warning even when you fall back your vision will still be red.

You play the rest of your life with Terminator vision. While annoying this is also a major exploit, since in night maps you can see everyone clearly, allowing you to pick the enemy apart.

Sometimes this works with the regular warning too. Basically if you want to exploit the gently caress out of night matches all you need to do is flank, get the red vision warning and repeat it until your vision is permanently red.

I hope they fix this even if it's kind of awesome to pretend i'm the Predator or something.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

Mans posted:

One annoying bug i found is that if you get left behind when the enemy caps a point and you're placed outside the combat zone and get the red vision warning even when you fall back your vision will still be red.

You play the rest of your life with Terminator vision. While annoying this is also a major exploit, since in night maps you can see everyone clearly, allowing you to pick the enemy apart.

Sometimes this works with the regular warning too. Basically if you want to exploit the gently caress out of night matches all you need to do is flank, get the red vision warning and repeat it until your vision is permanently red.

I hope they fix this even if it's kind of awesome to pretend i'm the Predator or something.

That was one that got fixed recently but didn't make it into the latest beta build. Should be fixed next time the beta updates.

EvilHobo
Dec 28, 2008

moths posted:

What's the likelihood of modders crossing the streams with servers running US/ Germany or Japan / Russia?

It's super doable.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

moths posted:

Would make for a different dynamic. Would also be a lot harder for the Ger/Rus side as well, since the semi-auto US vs the Banzai/mortar/mines Japs right now is balanced because each side has an advantage over regular rifles.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun

moths posted:

It's inevitable; you just know someone is going to make another Omahaha map.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The best part of RO is watching armchair historians correct each other.

The worst part is when they have mics.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

The Droid posted:

I guess this could be said about most team based games but man when your team is awful things can stop being fun really fast. Points are lost in an instant when half your team insists on peeking out the windows of buildings across the street from them rather than use their banzai charge ability to actually retake ground.

No kidding. Also, attacking teams are largely at the mercy of squad leaders and the commander. Squad leaders have to pop smoke and provide a place to spawn and commanders have to set artillery strikes (and, optimally, coordinate with squad leaders for a well-timed rush into the cap that takes advantage of said artillery strikers).

The night map that I can't remember the name of is the absolute worst for this. If Axis doesn't have good arty and smoke, they'll sit at the first two capture zones forever.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Orv posted:

The best part of RO is watching armchair historians correct each other.

The worst part is when they have mics.

Especially when the correcting part only uses The Pacific as a reference.

Also, even though when people do the 'Hurr durr, you realize this is Vietnam right, lol' :v: trolling is getting a bit old, it still makes me smile when someone bites.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

RS feels alot less frustrating then RO2, and i have no idea why.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Eastbound Spider posted:

RS feels alot less frustrating then RO2, and i have no idea why.

There's not one instance of having to madly dash across a quarter mile of open terrain in RS, where as that's about half of the maps in RO2.

Had my best round last night. Was auto swapped to Axis on Guadalcanal. Allies would just keep rushing the front over and over. Took down about 30 in five minutes or so. Pot shots while hidden in a bush. Was glorious.

Speaking of Vietnam, I keep hearing that that's the next expansion. True or troll?

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 14:14 on May 28, 2013

EvilHobo
Dec 28, 2008

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Speaking of Vietnam, I keep hearing that that's the next expansion. True or troll?

Troll. The Vietnam mod is not officially supported and is short on manpower. I do hope that they get their stuff rolling though, lots of good guys on that team.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
How were battles in Vietnam "different enough" to set a Vietnam based game apart? Different tactics in WW1 and WW2 versus how battles played out in Vietnam?

Or outside of squads in the jungle was there not much of a difference?

Also, whats' up with that WW1 mod? Any news on it?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Well the tactics of helicopter warfare combined with long range patrols and operating out of bases vs, the island hoppoing and fast paced amphibious warfare of the pacific, there is certainly a world of difference in tactics and operations.

But modelling those with fast paced 32v32 gameplay that is still arcadeyish? Not much, other than automatic weapons on the yellow side, too.
Unless the come up superior forces for americans but a lot more vietnamese like 20v40 maps where viatnamese respawn infinitely and can spawn behind americans and stuff like that.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
So far I'm really happy I bought this. Its everything I wanted from RO2. Populated fun pug servers and minimal spergtastic mic spam. I even like the maps. Maybe I've just been lucky. I hope the popularity holds.

My only complaint is that I'm always Japanese. Not that I mind, I love me some bolt action action. Just like RO2 where I'd always end up Russian.

Guerrilla Warfare
Feb 22, 2008
The Siege of Khe Sanh in a RO-style game sounds really fun to me.

Intelligibility
Apr 8, 2011

Get shovel!
There's no way I'm preordering this, but if anyone still has a beta key lying around I'd gladly give it a shot.

Just PM me or something.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Anybody noticed that Iwo Jima seems to be the new "apartments" ? Everyone seems hellbent on voting that up every godamn time.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

GyverMac posted:

Anybody noticed that Iwo Jima seems to be the new "apartments" ? Everyone seems hellbent on voting that up every godamn time.

No, because Iwo Jima is way better balanced and more fun than Apartments.

:smug:

InterFaced posted:

So far I'm really happy I bought this. Its everything I wanted from RO2. Populated fun pug servers and minimal spergtastic mic spam. I even like the maps. Maybe I've just been lucky. I hope the popularity holds.

My only complaint is that I'm always Japanese. Not that I mind, I love me some bolt action action. Just like RO2 where I'd always end up Russian.

I'm having more fun with RS than I did overall in RO2. RO2 never really was what I hoped it had been, but I guess that's related to all of the RO > RO2 talk I see in this thread.

I have no idea what made RO better than RO2. By the time I had a copy of RO the servers were completely dead.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
I know that this is a beta but honestly the following bugs have been in since RO2 and it's kind of absurd that they're still around:

1) "Someone got a battlefield commission and decided they're a better class X than you are. Press Continue to suicide and lose 2 points" :psyduck:

2) Those "Move Here" hud markers are still and have always been broken where they will move with your viewport meaning you have no idea where "here" means

3) Not a bug but more a stupid and frustrating "feature". You die, you re-enter the spawn queue with a second or two left. Time to play the click ready minigame! Where did RO/RS decide to put your mouse? Did the first click on the ready button register on their lovely UI? Better click it a few more times because the spawn timer is at 0:00, but don't click too much because you might spawn any second and your next click might put a bullet in the kidney of the guy who spawned in front of you!

(1) is just bad structuring. Just give the person who's getting kicked out of the class a 30 second grace period to choose a new class and respawn right away with no penalty. Or at the least have the script that suicides them make them exempt to the suicide penalty. This happened twice to me on the start of a new map, sniper -> kicked -> squad leader -> kicked -> rifleman with -4 to start. Being first to the sniper spot on a new map is like a 50/50 chance of just getting suicided by anyone on your team with a commission waiting.

(2) is just bizarre they haven't fixed it and is unfortunate that a handy squad command like that is useless.

(3) just drives me up the wall when I can't orient my mouse and register a click on the ready button in time and am rewarded with an additional 20 seconds of waiting. There should be an option of "always auto-ready the auto-select respawn option" and if ever you're feeling crafty about where you want to spawn you can just override it by clicking something different in the spawn menu.

That said the game is pretty fun. I'm loving the knee mortars. My new favorite targets are hitting "T" to find ammo supplies in enemy territory and accurately saturating the area around them since I am given an exact range. That or trying to play whack-a-mole with flamethrowers by estimating the origin of a flame and then estimating the range for my mortar.

EDIT: VVVV When you get into "iron sight" mode with it you are in "direct fire" mode which is sometimes useful for like shooting into a window or doorway or against a wall that you know they are hiding/prone in front of. But it's got the downsides of you being way more exposed and thus likely to get shot, and the other downside of you having no accurate range to go off of so it becomes a guessing game with how to set the arc.

However, if you scroll your mouse wheel up while in iron sights mode it will go into indirect fire mode (lobbing the round way up and then back down). It starts at a 50m range and you can keep scrolling up to like 190m or 200m in increments of 10m. If you have points of reference like a waypoint in your tactical view with a range on it and you know where enemies are in relation to it, it becomes very easy to estimate the range and direct to land rounds directly on top of them.

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 28, 2013

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Any tips on using the knee mortar?

I just aim and pray. No idea how to calculate where the shells will land.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

GyverMac posted:

Everyone votes for it because it's the only name they recognize.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
"Hey, I played these in Battlefield 1943"

Well, maybe not if you're a PC gamer.

Orv
May 4, 2011

GyverMac posted:

It's a small sort of miracle when I get to play anything other than Iwo Jima and Guadalcanal. Apartments almost won once though. :v:

Orv fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 28, 2013

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Any tips on using the knee mortar?

I just aim and pray. No idea how to calculate where the shells will land.

That's all I do and mine is creeping up on level 10 now.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
What's the max range in meters if you have it aimed all the way up?

That's what people mean by indirect fire, right?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Orv posted:

It's a small sort of miracle when I get to play anything other than Iwo Jima and Guadalcanal. Apartments almost won once though. :v:

Guadalcanal is the night map, right? I don't understand the fascination with that map, it's a clusterfuck on a good day and rage-inducing on the bad. The only time I have ever seen the Japanese win was when I took to the coms and organized the Banzais myself. I wasn't even a SL, just a rifleman! No one else would do it!

Microsoft Weird
Sep 11, 2007

Guadalcanal is the map where banzai charging is Super Effective, because 'murican riflemen only carry springfields. :mil101: People vote for it almost as much as iwo jima, because the devs made the unscoped springfield such a visceral joy to fire, and gave US three (maybe more) assault riflemen with godlike BAR1918s to compensate for the 'lack' of garands and carbines. I personally find Guadalcanal one of the most balanced maps to play in a disorganized pub game. I've seen Japs win by baiting overzealous squads into constantly recapping A/B until their lower starting reinforcement count finally depletes, and by the same coin I've seen the US forces hold A and B without lockdown until the japs broke through and capped. Allies, with close to no lives left, won the battle by drawing the combat out over the remaining points just long enough to play hide and seek & win. It's a pretty cool map for the commander, too. One of the few where artillery\naval strikes directly on the point can work just as well as artillery/mortars behind it.

Microsoft Weird fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
I really like both IJ and Guadal but I might have to start playing on servers that don't have voting. I also seem to be witnessing a lot of contradictory action compared to the rest of the people in this thread. A bunch of you said you never see Axis win Guadalcanal but I see them win 7/10 it seems like.

• Locked thread