Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Shampy posted:

What the hell? What's the story behind this?

Here you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Guy lookin' a little chunky.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Modest Mike posted:

I agree. There is more music out there than just house and/or top 40 songs which I think is more where that comparison point should be aimed at. If you say that Daft Punk are the only real physical instrument manipulators of today within the context of all the music being produced you are insane. Anyways after attempting to come around to this album a fair amount in the last week ill admit it has grown on me a bit but I still think touch is a little stupid and fragments of time is honestly just a horrible horrible song.

Why should the comparison point be outside of dance music?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Shampy posted:

They're doing F1 promotional stuff.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Finally purchased this album. And I really like it. Personal favorites (by a wide margin) are Giorgio and Contact. Lose Yourself To Dance is very good too.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Contact might be my least favorite song on the album, and honestly one of my least favorite Daft Punk songs. The synths at the beginning during the dialog are fine, but the main part is such a boring chord progression, and gets really old. Reminds me of a car commercial, and just doesn't do anything for me. I hesitate to mention this part because I don't want to ruin the song for anyone else, but I can't not think of the chorus of Poker Face...

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Shampy posted:

Its to align their promotional efforts with terrible, boring bougie european motor sports.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Hey, at least it's better than NASCAR.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Datasmurf posted:

Hey, at least it's better than NASCAR.

I don't even want to think what the music they'd have to come up with to appeal to the average NASCAR viewer would sound like.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003

Philthy posted:

I don't even want to think what the music they'd have to come up with to appeal to the average NASCAR viewer would sound like.

Well - there's already slide guitar on the album.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I like the idea of a Daft Punk F1 team.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

PonchAxis posted:

I'd be 100% behind it if the car was driverless.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

PonchAxis posted:

There are so many parts that I don't understand
There's a frame around me that I cannot explain
No windows to explore and the doors don't exist
I am lost, I can't even remember my crew name

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

doo dee doo dmt, lsd doo dmt, lsd doo dmt...

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

There are so many parts that I don't understand
There's a frame around me that I cannot explain
No windows to explore and the doors don't exist
I am lost, I can't even remember my crew name

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

In the pitchfork cover story, Thomas talks about how he can't even see out of the mask. I like to think he's sitting there thinking "WTF is going on?"

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

They're doing F1 promotional stuff.

Didn't he crash? And then the commentators were making fun of him being a "Daft Punk"

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

swmmrmanshen posted:

In the pitchfork cover story, Thomas talks about how he can't even see out of the mask. I like to think he's sitting there thinking "WTF is going on?"

He probably talking guy or other people, they have mics.

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
Not enough talk in this thread about how Beyond is the best song.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

AwwJeah posted:

It really is. Just such a cool song. Not sure how else to describe it, kind of feel like it should be in a movie or something. Really if any album deserves a visual accompaniment, it's this one.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

AwwJeah posted:

It is the birthplace of your dreams.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

AwwJeah posted:

Beyond is cool. What is that strange country and western sounding "guitar weeping" during it?

Doin' it Right is the first song that is starting to get actually annoying to me now.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Cool interview that I somehow missed, and maybe some of you did too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIbsNpgUa0U

Really helps explain the message of the album that some may have gotten misconstrued.

an skeleton fucked around with this message at 08:06 on May 27, 2013

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

For everyone who thought Pharrell's collaborators video was loving weird:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DHYpyH5hA4

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Wank posted:

What is that strange country and western sounding "guitar weeping" during it?

I believe that is a guitar being played with a slide. Possibly even a pedal steel guitar but I have no idea.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
I think the reason why I like "Beyond" so much (and "Giorgio by Morodor" too, for that matter), is because I keep hearing Freezepop's "Less Talk More Rokk" all over it.

Also digging "Horizon". I think I've got to buy the Japanese edition, so that I can have it in good quality too.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

mutata posted:

I'd be 100% behind it if the car was driverless.

If Grosjan was driving it, the car probably had a better chance if it were driverless.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Phone posted:

If Grosjan was driving it, the car probably had a better chance if it were driverless.

Grosjan is just there so Kimi looks even better and also because they need two drivers and the French market probably pays decently.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Grosjan is just there so Kimi looks even better and also because they need two drivers and the French market probably pays decently.

They're also broke and need the number two driver to bring in sponsor money which Grosjean does, at least for now.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

So I got around to listening to the album, and holy poo poo. I'm a daft punk fan and I was not expecting to enjoy that as much as I did.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

an skeleton posted:

It really is. Just such a cool song. Not sure how else to describe it, kind of feel like it should be in a movie or something. Really if any album deserves a visual accompaniment, it's this one.

I think Discovery takes the take for visual accompaniments go. I'm still floored whenever I watch Interstella 5555

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

loving great, I just got my Homework vinyl from Amazon and it's skipping constantly during Around the World. :negative: Couldn't it have at least picked some other song I don't care for as much?

Don't see any scratches or other crap on the disc either, so I'm not sure what's causing this. Maybe I just got a bad copy.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

loving great, I just got my Homework vinyl from Amazon and it's skipping constantly during Around the World. :negative: Couldn't it have at least picked some other song I don't care for as much?

Don't see any scratches or other crap on the disc either, so I'm not sure what's causing this. Maybe I just got a bad copy.

Is it warped? Lay it flat on the table, do any of the edges curl up or look odd? Either way, Amazon is always great about replacing vinyl if you have a complaint, theyll 2day ship you a new copy and send you details on sending yours back. Doesnt matter if it is opened already. Hit up their customer service cause a skipping LP is unacceptable.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Doesn't seem to be warped, all the edges look fine to me.

Guess I'll be sending this thing back to the UK (I probably wouldn't bother if it was another track that was skipping, but getting Around the World on vinyl is basically the main reason I bought this), hopefully the shipping costs from Finland won't be too bad. Looks like they'll reimburse those up to £8 anyway so it shouldn't be a problem.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I finally picked up RAM so I could judge it from experience and more than once I got half way through a song and just said "goddamn, this is bad" and skipped the rest of it. "Giorgio by Moroder" is pretty decent but holy hell that intro is long and I really expect it to do something at some point and it never really does.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Wank posted:

Doin' it Right is the first song that is starting to get actually annoying to me now.

Panda Bear's Brian Wilson-wannabe vocals are the only thing I find kind of tiresome about it, and I like Panda Bear as a general rule.

I have to say, giving this album a second, more thorough listen has helped me appreciate it a lot more. It's still more of a novelty or curio than a cohesive musical album, in my opinion. I like it, but more in the same way I like an entertaining movie or book than an album. I might feel differently about the remixes, but RAM isn't something I could see myself driving around to or putting on at a party.

travislopes
Jun 4, 2011

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

I had the exact same problem with my copy from Amazon. I requested an exchange and they sent me a replacement for free along with paying for the postage to send the defected one back. New copy plays just fine.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I'm pretty sure Game of Love and Beyond and maybe Get Lucky are all neck and neck for best song on the album. Get Lucky is hindered by having been listened to for months but is still pretty dope.

Man Cub
Jan 12, 2004

Come on! I'm the lord and savior! YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO CRUCIFY ME, GOD DAMNIT!
I'm still hooked on Lose Yourself to Dance. Although Pharrell's falsetto almost ruins the song, the bass lines, sweet guitar hook and the robots loving losing their poo poo throughout the song keep me enjoying it. I can't stop listening to it.

Definitely one of my favorites on the album.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

For me, the songs on the album have fallen into roughly 3 tiers of how much I like them:

1st tier (love these songs 100% of the time): Give Life Back to Music, Game of Love, Instant Crush, Lose Yourself to Dance, Get Lucky, Beyond, Fragments of Time
2nd tier (love these songs, but more so in the context of the whole album): Giorgio by Moroder, Within, Touch, Doin' It Right, Contact
3rd tier (this song is OK): Motherboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

long and I really expect it to do something at some point and it never really does.

Welcome to RAM :)

• Locked thread