Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
I had to support XenApp at my last job for some employees we acquired from a sister company. It was kind of a pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshirou
Jan 6, 2007

j.HP, c.Mp xx Flash Kick

psydude posted:

I had to support XenApp at my last job for some employees we acquired from a sister company. It was kind of a pain in the rear end.

I'm still running Presentation Server and it suckkkkks, and pretty soon we'll be finally upgrading to Xenapp6. I'm not looking forward to it because any time I've tried to set it up on a VM it has some weird problem and doesn't work right.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What makes Citrix so good? It's essentially a better version of RDP... Why couldn't Microsoft make a better version of RDP for their own OS?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Probably some stupid HIPAA thing.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
My only experience with Citrix was being on the MSP/ISP side of the support equation - "It's slllloooooooowwwwwwwwww!". Everyone. Every. One. No matter how much bandwidth they had said it was slow.

gently caress you.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

CatsOnTheInternet posted:

I would rather watch old people gently caress than watch PCoIP perform over WAN.

What's wrong with PCoIP over WAN? I've really never had a problem with it, even the new BLAST(view in a browser) is surprisingly good prior to tuning.

Tab8715 posted:

What makes Citrix so good? It's essentially a better version of RDP... Why couldn't Microsoft make a better version of RDP for their own OS?

Windows has something like this and it sucks, I don't want to derail too much but there is much more that goes into VDI than just getting the image to the end user. Follow up in the VM thread if you want to go into it deeper.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 24, 2013

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Regarding the Juniper stuff, I found this, which is free: http://www.juniper.net/us/en/training/certification/JNCIA_studyguide.pdf

...although a dead tree version would be preferable. What can I say? I like having a book open on my desk murdering trees. :v:

I don't suppose anyone ITT has done Juniper training? I'm not really a fan of sims and I'm not sure what hardware might be worth getting.

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

Powdered Toast Man posted:

Regarding the Juniper stuff, I found this, which is free: http://www.juniper.net/us/en/training/certification/JNCIA_studyguide.pdf

...although a dead tree version would be preferable. What can I say? I like having a book open on my desk murdering trees. :v:

I don't suppose anyone ITT has done Juniper training? I'm not really a fan of sims and I'm not sure what hardware might be worth getting.

I am swimming in Cisco stuff, but have always wanted to learn some Juniper, but I keep telling myself after I get my IE R&S. I don't even have an idea of a good home lab, any ideas?

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
I work for a Juniper partner and I have quite a few of their certs.

First, there is no more specific JNCIA-level exam. There is now only one JNCIA test, the JNCIA-Junos, which is more about Junos (as a language/platform) and less about switching/routing/security/etc.

Here are the certification paths:
http://www.juniper.net/us/en/training/certification/certification-tracks/

As you can see, the first level for every cert is JNCIA-Junos. Pass that, and it open up all of the other tracks. That's probably why you're having trouble finding JNCIA-level courseware/books.

The next level (and first really "technical" level) is JNCIS. So if you want the equivalent of a CCNA/CCNP, you would take the JNCIA-Junos and then the JNCIS-ENT (which is switch/route combined).

Secondly, a low-end SRX or two makes a great training box since you can use it both as a firewall or as a pure router (in "packet mode").

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
What's the current upgrade situation for Microsoft certs? I have a 2003 MCSA, and the only upgrade information I can find is for upgrading to the MCITP, which is being retired in about two months. I don't know that I'll be able to get enough prep time in to pass 648 and 646 before then, so am I out of luck? Or will those tests get me the new 2008 MCSA after that date instead? I see the 646 exam is part of that track and neither exam is being retired, just the cert itself. Why did they have to do all this stupid rebranding poo poo? :bang:

CatsOnTheInternet
Apr 24, 2013

BEEEEAAOOOORRRRRRRW BEEEBEAAAAAOOOORRWW

psydude posted:

It's fairly easy to stand up a sucky Citrix farm if you're not sure what you're doing - and lets face it, the Citrix farm is a hot potato at a lot of companies. One inch of a lack of knowledge will yield miles of problems.

When I started my current job it was a 4.5 farm that needed constant upkeep. Ripped and replaced it with 6.5 and Xendesktop 5 while following best practices, and it's all on autopilot now. I go totally off the grid for my vacations and my boss is cool with it.

CatsOnTheInternet fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 24, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Well heading up to DC for an exam on June 8th(saturday) any goons want to grab dinner or something?

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

madsushi posted:

Secondly, a low-end SRX or two makes a great training box since you can use it both as a firewall or as a pure router (in "packet mode").

Uh...well, I'm unemployed right now and everything under "Juniper SRX" on eBay is hundreds of dollars, so that's kind of beyond my price range. Maybe I'll just concentrate on getting my CCNA back for now... :sigh:

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

madsushi posted:

(Lets see if I can do this on my phone while taking a brake from moving)

I am more interested in model numbers, it's the same way with Cisco, 2950 with Enhanced images are the way to go for switches. But tons of people will try and sell you 2950XL or 2948, saying its the best thing to practice on.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Tasty Wheat posted:

(Lets see if I can do this on my phone while taking a brake from moving)

I am more interested in model numbers, it's the same way with Cisco, 2950 with Enhanced images are the way to go for switches. But tons of people will try and sell you 2950XL or 2948, saying its the best thing to practice on.

SRX100H is a pretty common one for learning. It's a low-end model (100) but with high memory (H) so it can run whatever you like. I know a couple of guys that used a few SRX100H models off ebay for their JNCIE practice. You can find them for about $300 if you pick up a Dell OEM one.

There is also a virtual SRX (JunosV Firefly) but it's not yet released so I don't know what the pricing will look like.

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007
Buy Dr. Quack's miracle juice! Now with patented H-twenty!

That study guide is for an old version of the JNCIA exam, which was a lot harder than JNCIA-junos is now. There are two PDFs on the Juniper site, around 75-100 pages each*. Those cover the current version of the exam. If you already have CCNA or better, it is basically learning the syntax and the way Juniper approaches stuff. If you are comfortable on that level, it should only take you two days of reading. No practice gear needed.
There is a readiness assessment exam on the juniper website, to check how you are doing. Also, check out the Junos as a second language course: https://learningportal.juniper.net/juniper/user_activity_info.aspx?id=3310

*I just checked, and can't find these PDFs anymore. Sent you a PM for help.

Jelmylicious fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 27, 2013

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

Jelmylicious posted:

That study guide is for an old version of the JNCIA exam, which was a lot harder than JNCIA-junos is now. There are two PDFs on the Juniper site, around 75-100 pages each*. Those cover the current version of the exam. If you already have CCNA or better, it is basically learning the syntax and the way Juniper approaches stuff. If you are comfortable on that level, it should only take you two days of reading. No practice gear needed.
There is a readiness assessment exam on the juniper website, to check how you are doing. Also, check out the Junos as a second language course: https://learningportal.juniper.net/juniper/user_activity_info.aspx?id=3310

*I just checked, and can't find these PDFs anymore. Sent you a PM for help.

Isn't JunOS syntax rather similar to IOS anyway, with show commands and whatnot?

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007

Isn't JunOS syntax rather similar to IOS anyway, with show commands and whatnot?

There are quite a few distinct differences, which make it feel different. It reminds me more of IOS-XR.
First off, commands only take effect after you commit them, making it possible to put in a whole bunch of commands without worrying about a correct order.
It is also very hierarchical, and who you do your configuration, it is indented with parentheses, just like well programmed code. Any setting you make, will be made by a command starting with set. You can migrate all settings off an interface by renaming the interface. When you are in configuration mode, and you are under Gi1/1, if you do a show, you will see the current configuration of the interface.

So in short, enough differences to make it feel totally different. Almost like saying linux and windows command shell are the same because you navigate both with cd.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

I'm putting together a modest CCNA lab, and I specced out the following, does this make sense?

Do I need anything else? Cables, etc?

Edit: Going with the 1760 instead of the 1720 routers.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

metavisual fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 29, 2013

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Just an FYI, but monoprice sells a usb to serial adapter that's based on the most recent Prolific PL-2303 chipset for $5. In other words it's the greatest thing ever for network console geeks.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10311&cs_id=1031104&p_id=3726&seq=1&format=2

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

metavisual posted:

I'm putting together a modest CCNA lab, and I specced out the following, does this make sense?

Looks good. That'll get you a good bit of hands-on experience with the hardware, which even though isn't strictly required for CCNA, is a great plus. Balance that kit with GNS3 for more advanced topologies and you're all set.

Are you planning on going above and beyond the CCNA? If so, you may want to price a 3550 or two in place of the 2950. You'll get everything you can find in the 2950s, plus a router for inter-VLAN routing and other fun things like that. Router-on-a-Stick is ancient and you'll never see it in a well-designed production environment.

It's a bit of an investment compared to the 2950, but if your CCNA is just a stepping stone it's entirely worth it.

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM

stubblyhead posted:

What's the current upgrade situation for Microsoft certs? I have a 2003 MCSA, and the only upgrade information I can find is for upgrading to the MCITP, which is being retired in about two months. I don't know that I'll be able to get enough prep time in to pass 648 and 646 before then, so am I out of luck? Or will those tests get me the new 2008 MCSA after that date instead? I see the 646 exam is part of that track and neither exam is being retired, just the cert itself. Why did they have to do all this stupid rebranding poo poo? :bang:

The MCITP will become MCSA 2008 on July 31st, 2013. The 640, 642 and 646 tests will continue to be offered after that date, only the certification's name is changing.

The MCSA 2008 can be upgraded to MCSA 2012 with the 70-417 exam until July 31st, 2014. I'm going to assume the MCSA 2008 will be retired whenever Microsoft no longer supports Server 2008.

Once an MCSA 2012 you can take either 413 & 414 (Server) or 415 & 416 (Desktop) to get MCSE 2012.

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

Just passed my 70-680, 840 out of 1000! :toot:

Jesus that test sucked balls though. I'm guessing MS certs don't get any easier either.

For anyone still taking it, I'll again recommend this series on YouTube in conjunction with other study materials.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Lareous posted:

Just passed my 70-680, 840 out of 1000! :toot:

Jesus that test sucked balls though. I'm guessing MS certs don't get any easier either.

For anyone still taking it, I'll again recommend this series on YouTube in conjunction with other study materials.

You are right, that one is about as easy as it gets. The formatting of the test is about what you will expect in the future for everything but the pro tests.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

metavisual posted:

What website is that? Must... spend money...

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

That's from Amazon.

I find it funny because something will be listed as like "$250 new" or "12 dollars used"

It's crazy.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Can't believe I didn't recognize it, thank you!

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

penga86 posted:

The MCITP will become MCSA 2008 on July 31st, 2013. The 640, 642 and 646 tests will continue to be offered after that date, only the certification's name is changing.

Thanks for this. This is true for new certs, but for reasons only known to them you will not be able to upgrade from 2003 to 2008 after July 31st, even if you take the 648 upgrade test before it's retired. Since I have basically 0 chance of prepping myself for 646 and 648 in only two months, I guess that means I have to start over if I want to keep up with MS certs. Not sure if I want to go down that road or not, to be perfectly honest.

Haydez
Apr 8, 2003

EVIL LINK
Woop, just passed CCNA Security an hour ago. Was much easier than I expected.

Anyone have a recomendation on study materials for CCNP Secure? It looks like the Official Cert book is downright horrible according to all the reviews I see of it. I don't even see any other books on the topic. I already plan on picking up the CBT Nuggets, but I wanted something else.

I have a Safari subscription so I'll probably just read it on there. I usually like buying at least one textbook to fondle inappropriately though. :(

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
Either the terminology is changing completely with 200-101 or Wendell Odom is a poo poo writer, because I've been doing networking for a while and I can't ever remember anyone saying something like "these two routers are part of an Ethernet". Lammle needs to hurry up and put out his book, I don't care if he doesn't have proofreaders and his grammar is kindergarten level, he's way better than Odom.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Odom has made studying for ROUTE 10 times more painful than it should have been. But if I pass it this Saturday I'll be done with him.

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007

psydude posted:

Odom has made studying for ROUTE 10 times more painful than it should have been. But if I pass it this Saturday I'll be done with him.

Good luck!

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Can someone speculate whether a 3640 would be a suitable router for a CCNA lab? They're pretty cheap on eBay, and I've seen them recommended on various cert forums, but I wanted the goon seal of approval before wasting my money on a pile of junk.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

moron posted:

Can someone speculate whether a 3640 would be a suitable router for a CCNA lab? They're pretty cheap on eBay, and I've seen them recommended on various cert forums, but I wanted the goon seal of approval before wasting my money on a pile of junk.

I think the problem with the 3640 is that it has NO interfaces, so you have to buy cards to get any. (I could be wrong. I'm a total newb with this stuff, only know from recent research)

--
I just went ahead and took the plunge and ordered 2x2950's, 2x1760's, 2xWIC-1T's, 2xWIC-1DSU-T1-V2's, and a bunch of cables.

Total: around 200 with shipping from a bunch of different Amazon sellers. Not bad...

Can't wait to get started.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

metavisual posted:

I think the problem with the 3640 is that it has NO interfaces, so you have to buy cards to get any. (I could be wrong. I'm a total newb with this stuff, only know from recent research)

That's correct but the 3640 these days is so useless that it should be pretty cheap, even with a NM-1E2W. (1 FastEth + 2 wic slots)

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Sitting for my second shot on the 685 tomorrow. I failed the first time with a higher score than expected, had a lot of medical crap going on. I feel I am ready tis time.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

metavisual posted:

Edit: Going with the 1760 instead of the 1720 routers.

The 1760 is great for basic CCNA-level stuff. Wendell Odom recommends it over the newer and much more expensive 1800-series units. If you haven't pulled the trigger yet, you might want to poke around on eBay. I've seen group lots of 1700-series routers going for as little as $10 per router for 5 or 6 of them.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Don't pay extra for a 1760.

There's two advantages to the 1760:
1) faster CPU rated for 8mbps 16kpps (instead of 6mbps 12kpps)
2) internal power supply = no brick.

Beyond that they're exactly the same. The two other card slots are VIC-only (no WICs allowed). That means they're only useful on a 1760-V.

If you want to get fancy look for a 1721 with 64-128DRAM 32Flash (VPN card optional). Then you can run 12.4 IOS which has "do"... but that can lead to bad habits.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

CrazyLittle posted:

If you want to get fancy look for a 1721 with 64-128DRAM 32Flash (VPN card optional). Then you can run 12.4 IOS which has "do"... but that can lead to bad habits.
I love do. do will be my downfall some day. But it's not just a 12.4 thing:

code:
c2621(config)#do show version
Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-IK9O3S3-M), Version 12.3(26), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
...... snip .....
System image file is "flash:c2600-ik9o3s3-mz.123-26.bin"
...... snip .....

c2621(config)#do show run
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 2556 bytes
!
! Last configuration change at 19:59:57 CDT Wed May 29 2013 by xxxxxxxxx
! NVRAM config last updated at 16:17:29 CDT Mon May 27 2013 by xxxxxxxxx
!
version 12.3
---- Snip. Woop woop woop woop. ----
c2621(config)#
I seem to recall it existing in earlier versions of 12.3 so metavisual might be in luck. Either that, or the 26xx images have it and other models don't.

God drat, I love 2600s. :allears:

e: Oh God, I just realized you can do "do wr". Never again will I Ctrl-Z out, wr, and conf t right back in.

Speaking of which, does anyone still use wr anymore? I heard it's going away. Say it ain't so! :(

Cenodoxus fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Cenodoxus posted:

Speaking of which, does anyone still use wr anymore? I heard it's going away. Say it ain't so! :(

It has been removed from some of the 12.2+ releases and some will even allow it to be used, but will report that the command is being deprecated.

It was first mentioned around 12.2x

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2/configfun/command/reference/frf007.html#wp1017419