Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
What's the 360 port of RE4 like anyway? Worth the money, or is it just a cheap money grab?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

poptart_fairy posted:

What's the 360 port of RE4 like anyway? Worth the money, or is it just a cheap money grab?

PS3/360 Port of RE4 is definitely a cheap money grab. They call it HD edition. It's really "Upscale Edition."

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Well that's a shame to hear! Nonetheless, what content does it come with compared to - say - the Gamecube version? Playing Revelations has made me want to play RE4 again (RE5 was fun but only in coop, and RE6 was...well, RE6), big time, but I no longer have the ol' trusty console lying around.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
It has everything that was included in the ps2/wii version. You can also use the move to do wii style controls on the ps3 version.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Granted I've only played the Wii version otherwise, but the HD version is my favorite iteration of the game. All the extras, main game looks nice (even though they didn't upscale Separate Ways, which really shows if you play it back to back with the main game), and since it's downloaded I don't need to switch disks or anything. I'd say if you don't have another version of RE4 handy, HD version is not a bad investment at all.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Cool, looks like I'm down another fifteen quid then! Incidentally, the overcharge/burst thing in Revelations Raid Mode. I seemed to have success with it in singleplayer but I'm not sure if the faffing around and extra vulnerability is worth the increase in damage. Just how large an increase is it?

e; that feeling when you do a perfect run in a Raid mission, feel smug as you watch the ineffectual corpse of a Scagdead fade away only to get blindsided by an Ooze and lose your trinity bonus. :byodood:

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 12:31 on May 28, 2013

Damegane
May 7, 2013
Are pistols still worth keeping in the loadout once you start getting loads of MG ammo? This is NG+ on the hard difficulty, forgot its name.

EDIT: Revelations campaign.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Damegane posted:

Are pistols still worth keeping in the loadout once you start getting loads of MG ammo? This is NG+ on the hard difficulty, forgot its name.

EDIT: Revelations campaign.

Pistols are pretty useful weapons. They do a lot of damage in a single shot, can fire rapidly, and you end up swimming in ammo for them. Unless you're going to carry a shotgun and a rifle it's probably worthwhile to keep one onhand. A Magnum you should only be carrying when you're going into a boss fight.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Jill sure isn't very good at her job, is she? I've only beaten mission 1 of Revelations, but so far she's:

- Reached into a giant flesh slug to pull out a cracked canister of red stuff, presented as bioterror-related.

- Reached down into a cesspool of watery, fleshy goop to pull out an equally goo-covered gun/hand.

- Got caught in an obvious trap and got gassed.

Now why the sam hell don't these professionally-trained anti-bioterrorism agents have gas masks or gloves that aren't fingerless? If you were going after a guy who has a history of running into trouble, wouldn't you take some precautions?

Loving the game so far, though. Already feels better than 5 did. Though I question the scanning mechanic. Much as I like scanning junk in games, getting to 100% before actually getting 100% scans is weird. Also, I think I might have been getting scans through the walls of the level a couple of times...

Damegane
May 7, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Pistols are pretty useful weapons. They do a lot of damage in a single shot, can fire rapidly, and you end up swimming in ammo for them. Unless you're going to carry a shotgun and a rifle it's probably worthwhile to keep one onhand. A Magnum you should only be carrying when you're going into a boss fight.

Yeah, that's the thing. I have a shotgun for close range and the pistol gets to compete with rifles for long range, and MGs for a general any-range weapon. I just can't get pistols to output damage at the rates that rifles and MGs can. Towards the end of my normal playthrough, they only re-entered my loadout when I ran low on rifle ammo. If I remember correctly, I stuck a Damage +60%, Charge Shot, and 2-shot Burst on a M92F and took my time to whittle guys down from afar with charge shots, and it still took a pretty long time to take them down.

Which is weird since Raid mode pistols have significantly more damage per shot as compared to MGs, and I use them there regularly. :shrug:

ChibiSoma posted:

Now why the sam hell don't these professionally-trained anti-bioterrorism agents have gas masks or gloves that aren't fingerless?

Same reason why they have some of their agents running around in combat situations with hair covering their faces and others with only 1 leg on their wetsuits. Gotta have some stupidity for an RE plot to work.

Damegane fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 28, 2013

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I think it's been canonically proven that HUNK is the only person in Resident Evil who is actually competent at their job.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

I've just finished the first chapter (normal difficulty) and I'm liking the game so far. One thing I'm not liking is the melee, though. Is the only melee option the right trigger? It seems to take forever to kill poo poo with melee, and with the notzombies you fight if you're close enough to melee, you're close enough to grab (:saddowns:). Is melee just not really a solid tactic at this point in the game or on this difficulty, or am I just terrible at stabbing things?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

ChibiSoma posted:

Now why the sam hell don't these professionally-trained anti-bioterrorism agents have gas masks or gloves that aren't fingerless? If you were going after a guy who has a history of running into trouble, wouldn't you take some precautions?

At this point, all the surviving STARS members have been bitten, mauled, and puked on by infectious monsters so many times that they're basically immune. It helps to view all of Jill's actions with the knowledge that she has seen way worse and basically doesn't care any more.

There are some great points in Revelaitons where some new character is like "Holy poo poo, there's crazy lizard apes running around tearing people's heads off!" and Chris and/or Jill are just like "Yeah, and?"

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Crowetron posted:

There are some great points in Revelaitons where some new character is like "Holy poo poo, there's crazy lizard apes running around tearing people's heads off!" and Chris and/or Jill are just like "Yeah, and?"

I remember the bios of Jill and Chris in RE1 as listing them as being ridiculously young for their positions, like 22 and 24.

I'm not sure how many years have passed story-wise since then, but they must be getting to the point where they have lived more years being chased by walking nightmares than without.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
A lot of Revelations is just amazing in how far it goes for Jill and Chris to just no sell any and all major plot twists.

The giant ship that we're on isn't actually the Zenobia? Who gives a crap?
Super giant monster attacks the ship and we have to fight it? Whatever.
The leader of a terrorist is trapped in a sunken ship for several years and turns out to be a nemesis-like monster bent on murder and destruction? Motherfucker, have you been to Raccoon City? This is simply a Tuesday night.

Vakal posted:

I'm not sure how many years have passed story-wise since then, but they must be getting to the point where they have lived more years being chased by walking nightmares than without.
Chris and Jill are about 40 and 39 respectively by the time RE6 rolls around.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 28, 2013

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Crowetron posted:

Reminds me of some of their banter in Lost in Nightmares. From commenting about Spencer's obsession with cranks, talking about getting older since Raccoon, and Chris joking about never getting lucky in regards to not running into mutants. They've both been around the block more than a few times.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

When I start a New Game+ do all of the customization parts and ammo storage upgrades respawn or just the parts? Also if I go to a higher difficulty level when starting a NG+ is there is better chance of getting higher ranked parts?

I haven't played 5,6, or any of the various side story games but are any of the characters introduced in Revelations ever mentioned again?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Policenaut posted:

I think it's been canonically proven that HUNK is the only person in Resident Evil who is actually competent at their job.

That's what makes ORC so much fun. The group is so comically bad at their job and it's confusing because the main characters are seldom gently caress ups of that caliber. Then you realize you work for Umbrella and it all falls into place.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

ChibiSoma posted:

"She touched a yucky thing" is evidence of incompetence?

Vakal posted:

I remember the bios of Jill and Chris in RE1 as listing them as being ridiculously young for their positions, like 22 and 24.

Revelations is set in 2005, so Chris is 32 and Jill is 30.

A big part of it is that their original bios had a really bad case of the same Japanese youth-worship trope that had everyone in FF8 acting like Quistis was a withered crone at the ripe old age of 18. They've downplayed it since then and it's not present with characters like Piers or Helena, but every character in the RE franchise has a resume like Doc Savage by the time they're 21.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Len posted:

That's what makes ORC so much fun. The group is so comically bad at their job and it's confusing because the main characters are seldom gently caress ups of that caliber. Then you realize you work for Umbrella and it all falls into place.

Wolf Pack was plenty good at their job. It's just that all of the important people they had to kill over the course of the game had plot armor because this was set around the time frame of Resident Evil 2/3.

Arguably, most of the problems with Wolf Pack's mission going pear-shaped was because the guy barking orders at them was an rear end in a top hat who kept blaming them for poo poo they had no control over to begin with, yelling at them to fix it, and then stabbing them in the back when they couldn't (again, usually because the target in question had plot armor).

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Sylphid posted:

Reminds me of some of their banter in Lost in Nightmares. From commenting about Spencer's obsession with cranks, talking about getting older since Raccoon, and Chris joking about never getting lucky in regards to not running into mutants. They've both been around the block more than a few times.

And also talking about how Chris apparently likes 'em young.

There was a reason that part was taken out of the game :3:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lunethex posted:

It is difficult to picture Chris Redfield having chemistry with anyone I have to admit. He is a man dedicated to shooting monsters in the face and angsting about his many dead friends.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

ImpAtom posted:

It is difficult to picture Chris Redfield having chemistry with anyone I have to admit. He is a man dedicated to shooting monsters in the face and angsting about his many dead friends.

And punching boulders. :colbert:

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
After 5 and 6, I just can't picture Roger Craig Smith not being the voice of Chris. He can pull of normal, intense, tense, angry, and exasperated so well. He even has the advantage of kinda looking like Chris, as well. He's my favorite character in both games, and I'm quite looking forward to him showing up again in the inevitable RE7.

demons.
Apr 20, 2012

ChibiSoma posted:

Jill sure isn't very good at her job, is she? I've only beaten mission 1 of Revelations, but so far she's:

- Reached into a giant flesh slug to pull out a cracked canister of red stuff, presented as bioterror-related.

- Reached down into a cesspool of watery, fleshy goop to pull out an equally goo-covered gun/hand.

- Got caught in an obvious trap and got gassed.

Loving the game so far, though. Already feels better than 5 did. Though I question the scanning mechanic. Much as I like scanning junk in games, getting to 100% before actually getting 100% scans is weird. Also, I think I might have been getting scans through the walls of the level a couple of times...

She's the master of unlocking.

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe
Gamefly sent me RE6 for the 360 despite it being at the bottom of my list. Anyways, if someone would like to help a noob co-op, my GT is BarkingSquirre1

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

ImpAtom posted:

The world needs two-player bro-op with him and Claire. It'd give them a chance to show a side of Chris besides "duty-driven meathead."

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

ImpAtom posted:

I dunno. Him being with Sheva and Jessica really showed to me that he really REALLY cares about Jill. It's just all hidden under a layer of machoness.

I don't think Chris's relationship is nearly as awkward as Leon's. He pretty much gets used and abused by Ada and he still keeps fawning over her even though he barely even knows her. Its like some high school infatuation poo poo.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

blackguy32 posted:

I dunno. Him being with Sheva and Jessica really showed to me that he really REALLY cares about Jill. It's just all hidden under a layer of machoness.

I don't think Chris's relationship is nearly as awkward as Leon's. He pretty much gets used and abused by Ada and he still keeps fawning over her even though he barely even knows her. Its like some high school infatuation poo poo.

Now I'm kinda wishing there was a RE dating simulator game staring Chris, Leon and Chief Irons.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
Chris is gay, plain and simple. The sailor outfit proves it. :colbert:

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Leon's slowly making progress, Ada sent him a text near the end of his scenario in RE6 so after 15 years he's finally got her number.

They'll probably never make Chris and Jill an actual item too, they keep it strictly professional. The closest they came is in Revelations when Jessica complains that he never got the hint and Parker suggests he's already taken (obviously referring to Jill as the shot shows them walking away together). Yet the first thing they actually talk about after pining after each other the whole time is using pulse grenades on the swimming BOWs.

Dr. Abysmal fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 29, 2013

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Leon's slowly making progress, Ada sent him a text near the end of his scenario in RE6 so after 15 years he's finally got her number.

They'll probably never make Chris and Jill an actual item too, they keep it strictly professional. The closest they came is in Revelations when Jessica complains that he never got the hint and Parker suggests he's already taken (obviously referring to Jill as the shot shows them walking away together). Yet the first thing they actually talk about after pining after each other the whole time is using pulse grenades on the swimming BOWs.

Yeah, but this is pre- RE5. I honestly think that they will never make anyone an actual item, but Jill has already made the ultimate sacrifice for Chris once before.

Although its strange that I don't remember him even bringing up Jill once throughout the entirety of RE6.

Steinuh
Nov 17, 2011

She's taking care of their baby :3: there's probably some fan fiction that dwells into that.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Nice job putting putting up DLC but not the compatibility stuff Capcom, now nobody can play online. :thumbsup:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Lunethex posted:

Jill's lines sound pretty robotic in this, but I still wish the PC had gotten the RE5 DLC.

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
Nah, Jill n' Chris have a killmosexual thing going. It's a type of platonic relationship where you bond with each other by killing stupid things in stupid ways and shouting one liners. Some of the greatest plays in the English language, such as Lethal Weapon, Hard Boiled, and The Tale of the Heike were centered around killmosexual and killmorotic themes.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Ada's a bigger bitch than you think. Just when Leon thinks he's got a shot.. Turns out it's one of those disposable one-use cellphones they use in all the spy thrillers. :owned:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Sylphid posted:

Jill's hilarious around Parker due to stuff like this.

"Jill, are you OK? You're running in circles!"

"Eh, this job is like that."

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

NovaPolice posted:

Nah, Jill n' Chris have a killmosexual thing going. It's a type of platonic relationship where you bond with each other by killing stupid things in stupid ways and shouting one liners. Some of the greatest plays in the English language, such as Lethal Weapon, Hard Boiled, and The Tale of the Heike were centered around killmosexual and killmorotic themes.

I just find it hilarious. Jill sacrifices her life for him, and in return, Chris tears the gently caress up out of Africa in search of her. They are crazy about each other and then when they meet back up, they barely say anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
That's the kind of thing I was talking about in Revelations, which was even before Lost in Nightmares/RE5. The whole time they're separated they're focused on finding each other (they sure don't seem to give much of a poo poo about the also missing Parker/Jessica either), then when they do they just talk shop. From ignoring Jessica's blatant flirting to say "I'll find you, Jill... I promise" to "Hey Jill, these grenades are pretty cool, try them out."