Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Polishing is very tedious. Especially when a car is 14 years old and has probably never been polished before, just washed and waxed.

Luckily I'm off tomorrow as well, and can continue the fun. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Had the old wonky out-of-round Pirellis replaced with a brand spanking new set of Hankooks.

It feels so god damned awesome finally driving on properly round tires again.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Left it home and took the parents new D4D hilux for a drive to mount gambier and back to get a few more Kms on the clock and run it in a bit more

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Did some very ghetto rust repair on my beater/autoX Miata. Just cut out the rust with an angle grinder and then riveted some aluminum sheet metal over it. I'm going to plastidip the whole car this week. I know it's not even close to an ideal fix, but it has 200,000 miles and I just didn't want rust holes showing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's the best way to handle rust. Pop rivets are amazing.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Had a new bumper I've been meaning to install over the past 3 years. Probably because the drat thing weights over 120 lbs and it had a few seized bolts.

I got to sand the mounting surfaces and repaint, and install the new bumper once I pick up all new bolts and locknuts this week.

Godspeed old bumper, your 1/4" box steel section saved me from damage from being rear ended by an Impala, a Cadillac CTS, and an old K-car dynasty...

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Installed a 3" intake system and the first stage Cobb tune. Took awhile as the engine bay is pretty drat cramped. But I can actually hear my turbos spool now and they seem to come on much stronger 1000 rpm earlier than before.

Next weekend will get the midpipe on there with the second stage Cobb tune. Should be good for 540AWHP.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Voltage posted:

Did some very ghetto rust repair on my beater/autoX Miata. Just cut out the rust with an angle grinder and then riveted some aluminum sheet metal over it. I'm going to plastidip the whole car this week. I know it's not even close to an ideal fix, but it has 200,000 miles and I just didn't want rust holes showing.

Its not rust, its "Active Weight Reduction"

Your Miata is getting lighter every single day.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Got the center console installed on my Cherokee, and went back to the wrecking yard on Monday for seats. Cobbled together a set of Grand Cherokee seats with 2-door Cherokee Classic flip-forward hinges, and Cherokee Classic bases. Also found a near-perfect '95-6 leather steering wheel.

Tore the seats back apart when I got them home and tossed the upholstery in the wash. Probably put them back together this evening.

Now I need to go back and get a roof rack. Actually found one that the adjuster mechanisms weren't stuck.

1st Edition ADandD
Aug 31, 2009
Yanked the power steering completely from my 300zx and installed a manual rack. Much better than just driving with it looped. Boy, I sure have a lot of room in this engine bay now...

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
New front swaybar. And test fitted my new (to me) track wheels/tires

Front has plenty of clearance with camber almost maxed out. Need to fix the absurd amount of toe-out I have though.

Rears are iffy. I went for a short drive and didn't hear any rubbing, but I'll have to wait until the first slalom. They're 255/40/17 NT01s on a car that is supposed to have 245/40/17 rears.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
:suicide:

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA
Is that window tint melting off?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
No, that's me removing it. Then spending an hour with a razorblade and steel wool because even with a heat gun 90% of the glue stayed on the window.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
On my rear hatch I just ended up buying a spare hatch off a guy and replacing the tinted one because the glue was so awful.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I was going to do the rear/mini side windows but I think I'm just going to leave it. I only removed the fronts because it's required for safety inspection in this province.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I think the tint on the Niva will fall off on its own eventually. It was done in the late '80s / early '90s looking at the purple.

Today I ordered parts for it. They should be here in a few weeks. About the time I'm having a procedure. Goddamnit.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
Changed the oil in the 2002 (hnnnnggg Royal Purple!), vacuumed the interior, cleaned all glass inside and out and cleaned the interior bits some. I continue to survey what it needs. It's still filthy, but at least it's slightly less filthy now.

Oh, and a took it for a spin in my neighborhood, which was a hoot:

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

I finally got these wheels (17x7.5 RPF1s) and tires (225/45r17 Hankook RS-3s) together and on my GTI. No other mods planned. Its the antithesis of the VW tuner formula and I love it.

I need to wash it. Or not?

Blooot fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 30, 2013

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I got one of the worn to poo poo tyres on the back of the Fairlane plugged again. It was leaking worse than normal. it was another nail. $250 each for real tyres or ~$130 each for lovely Blue Streaks. When I can it'll be two new blue streaks. I just don't care enough.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Crustashio posted:

No, that's me removing it. Then spending an hour with a razorblade and steel wool because even with a heat gun 90% of the glue stayed on the window.
3M Adhesive Remover works really well on any leftover tint gunk. Just spray a little on a rag and it wipes right off like it was just a little smudge. Also, when you're taking off the tint, a steamer seems to work much better than a heat gun.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Lowclock posted:

3M Adhesive Remover works really well on any leftover tint gunk. Just spray a little on a rag and it wipes right off like it was just a little smudge. Also, when you're taking off the tint, a steamer seems to work much better than a heat gun.

I looked for a steamer at multiple stores and the cheapest one I could find was 90 bucks. No one seemed to have a cheap portable steam gun.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mat_Drinks posted:

Changed the oil in the 2002 (hnnnnggg Royal Purple!), vacuumed the interior, cleaned all glass inside and out and cleaned the interior bits some. I continue to survey what it needs. It's still filthy, but at least it's slightly less filthy now.

Oh, and a took it for a spin in my neighborhood, which was a hoot:

This is a truly gorgeous car. You should post a new pic of it every day.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Rhyno posted:

This is a truly gorgeous car. You should post a new pic of it every day.

Heh, that's nice of you to say. The old girl has some rust and while it's not even close to sockington level, she definitely benefits from pictures being taken at a bit of a distance :)

But yeah, I'll definitely post more pictures as I continue to work on her over the summer and the coming year(s).

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Crustashio posted:

I looked for a steamer at multiple stores and the cheapest one I could find was 90 bucks. No one seemed to have a cheap portable steam gun.
I used this one, and then returned it. A terrible garment steamer, but worked pretty well for taking off tint.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Crustashio posted:

Ammonia. Use in a spray bottle and make sure the area you use it in is well ventilated & cover door panels with rags or something. The tint will just peel right off.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
After working a full day, threw the Yakima skybox 16 on top of the Mazda5, stuffed it with crap, threw a cooler in the back and the kids in their seats, and with the wife riding shotty I drove it 1,100 miles through the night to Sarasota, FL.

I think maybe I'm getting too old for this poo poo.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I put masking tape on the top of the rear hatch / body panel gap predicting rain. Holy poo poo was I right. It kept the water out so it'll do until I do something about the rubber. I'm still going to try to run it for a bit to get it toasty inside to help evaporate some of what it caught before I taped it.

If it weren't for the Police constantly prowling I was so tempted to take it to the fish and chip shop last night. The Ford kept going all weird on me. It'd get all gutless and I'd have to push the accelerator a lot more to keep it going at 50km/h. I suppose it was raining. The natural enemy of the Aussie ford, along with fog or high humidity.

e: Derr. Talking about the Niva, not the VW or anything. The VW is stricken with a stuffed tachometric relay. When I dig out a spare LPG one I'll rewire it for that.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Larrymer posted:

I took off the downpipe on the Saabaru to put on the Cobb one that's been sitting around for months. I broke one exhaust spring bolt and the o2 sensor connector when I took it out. I figured it would be a pain in the rear end to get the o2 out so I immediately went to my impact. Upon doing so, it spun the sensor out so quick it smacked the connector into something and it shattered into 1000 pieces. :doh: After that minor defeat I tried to grease the clutch fork pivot but it still squeaks like a motherfucker. :emo: So then I just bled the clutch.

The front struts also came off today even though I just replaced them about two weeks ago. I wasn't happy with the ride quality of the Excel G's (too stiff for Michigan) so I'm throwing some Monroes on there to hopefully fix that. The rears will get done today and it'll still be sitting on jack stands awaiting yet another rockauto order.

Finished this up and flashed the car. It feels like dog poo poo (base map) and there may be an exhaust leak at the end of the downpipe. I reused the gasket and it's one of those metal donut types that seal nicely the first time and then are totally rusty, flakey, and hosed from then on. I'll probably try and clean up the catback side and throw copper RTV in there. I've only driven it about 2 miles so far though so maybe it's just the new sound.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Set a goal of changing the Miata's weird aftermarket front turn signal harnesses out for used eBay pieces in an attempt to fix the intermittently failing right turn signal on my car.

After several hours of trying to disconnect the drat plastic connector it finally let free and I completed the work to find out that the turn signal is still working only some of the time. Apparently it's an issue with the Canadian-spec daytime running lights module and I need to either replace it or dismantle it and fix some cold solder joints. Nobody on the (US-centric) Miata forums knows how to just bypass it, so I figured I might as well try to unplug it and see where that goes.

After wrenching myself upside down and sideways into the footwell and wrestling with that stupid plastic connector for ten minutes I gave up, attempted to fight another plastic connector in the dashboard to swap out the dashboard map light and then just ended up dismantling it in place, cleaning the contacts on the switch and, although I fixed it, realized that the "door only" mode only works when the passenger side door is open.

Then I just replaced the prop rod on the drivers' side headlight. At least that went ok, although the passenger side looks like a bitch to get at whenever that one goes bad. I also bent the backside of the headlight lids up until they were flush with the hood, but the passenger side one is still a little low.

I also found out that the passenger side door switch occasionally will read "closed" while the passenger side door is open, which is probably related to the issue where the speaker on that side occasionally cuts out as well.

Final tally: 3 fixes, 3 new issues to fix. Also two very sore thumbs from trying to work those idiot little connectors.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 2, 2013

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

trouser chili posted:

After working a full day, threw the Yakima skybox 16 on top of the Mazda5, stuffed it with crap, threw a cooler in the back and the kids in their seats, and with the wife riding shotty I drove it 1,100 miles through the night to Sarasota, FL.

I think maybe I'm getting too old for this poo poo.
How long are you down here for? I'm not THAT far away.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Put a new hood cable + latches on my 328 since the old ones stuck open. Thank god for the internet and smart people. The dealer method for this job is to take both the front fender and nosepanel off. Someone figured out you can just use the old cable to pull through the new one, and bend up the sheet metal support to get the latches in/out.

Budget Monty
Jul 25, 2005

Ask me about my torrid love affair with Geico :ese:
Finally found time to install all my new air valves so I can get full FBSS, and not just front/back control. Plus with no more "T'd" bags, I don't get "Reverse swaybar syndrome" while cornering now.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Budget Monty posted:

Finally found time to install all my new air valves so I can get full FBSS, and not just front/back control. Plus with no more "T'd" bags, I don't get "Reverse swaybar syndrome" while cornering now.

That's awesome! I can only imagine how much of a horror it would have been around bends.

Today I messed with Carnauba wax polish stuff. The results were mixed. It's definitely harder to lay down than the synthetic stuff and I couldn't quite get the same shine, but after a few hours of just sitting it started to look shinier I guess. It smells like Nerds so that's a bonus.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Jackass came around a blind corner on my side of the road, it was hit them head on or slam on brakes + clutch + kiss curb. Kissed the curb, now it's really hard to get in gear and I felt a really weird "POP" in the clutch pedal. Clutch has almost no resistance now..

:argh:

Somehow I didn't gouge the wheels. :iiam:

I really really really really hope it's the master cylinder (which is a known issue on this car) and not the slave (internal slave, gently caress you).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jun 2, 2013

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

some texas redneck posted:

Jackass came around a blind corner on my side of the road, it was hit them head on or slam on brakes + clutch + kiss curb. Kissed the curb, now it's really hard to get in gear and I felt a really weird "POP" in the clutch pedal. Clutch has almost no resistance now..

:argh:

Somehow I didn't gouge the wheels. :iiam:

I really really really really hope it's the master cylinder (which is a known issue on this car) and not the slave (internal slave, gently caress you).

You really ought to move somewhere with good public transport.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Wrar posted:

How long are you down here for? I'm not THAT far away.

Ha, aren't you in the Miami area? We'll be here a week. We're staying at my parents house and at some point we're going to boogie south to my (now deceased) great uncle's place on Marco Island for some boating. We got a new Honda 150 on the Boston Whaler and I'm pretty excited to take it out. I blew up the old 130 last year, so this is like my redemption tour. But first on Monday I'm gonna throw the Mazda5 at a local dealer for an oil change.

For those that have heard about my dad's cancer, he told me yesterday that the hormone shots have been wildly effective, and after two of them his PSA is now undetectable. This is great because the shot was pretty much his last lifeline.

I dont know if all of Florida is like this, but Sarasota seems to have an interesting car culture. I'm sitting 1/2 mile from a Lotus dealership, a Lambo dealership, a Maserati dealership, and a swanky Mercedes dealership. We'll be doing a little car shopping while I'm here too, old man has been looking for a new executive sedan (think E-class) and I've been putting consideration into a Jetta TDI sportwagon.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Actually I'm just north of Orlando now, hence the "not that far".

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Step 1. Don't eat anything before going to put these on in 100 degree heat! It's like 2 13 mm bolts how hard can it be??

Step 2. Get completely worn out trying to get the drat hanger out of a seized up grommet. Slide out you loving bitchhhhh!!! (It still has not come out)

Step 3. Complete one side of the exhaust, save the other for later tonight, go inside and die of heat exhaustion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

That powder coat finish looks slick.