Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

SerSpook posted:

We come from a place that doesn't even know violence. We were not raised to fight.

With respect, this is completely false. No one takes and witnesses regular beatings without becoming intimate with violence. We might not be too good at it, but it definitely exists on our flow chart of possible responses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I won't be on IRC till tonight, however, Porpoise, if you or anyone else kept a count, please forum PM me? I'd like to see where we are at. We might get a mid day update depending on the totals, or it might go till tonight.

Klingtron
Sep 10, 2011

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
and

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Come on guys, grab the tooth and run with G and D. Hopefully we can find Jorah at the beach, he's cool.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

We mightn't win, but it's worth a shot!
Let's at least not run away with these violent kidnappers.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

jng2058 posted:

I only see the one option that lets us keep the holy artifact, so let's go with that one.

Yeah, changing my vote to
Get out, now! (But take the shinies)

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I believe Jalitha is lying about being our mom.
I also believe that she is lying in order to protect us. I suspect before the end of the day, our village is going to be nothing but ash and ruin.

These guys obviously see us as dumbassed savages in need of a good massacre, and once they're done provoking the rest of the village into trying to defend themselves, they're going to draw steel and leave none except whoever they decide to capture.

We pretty much have to go with them. We have no survival skills, so unless we run into a pack of tortoises willing to raise us and teach us the way of the carrot, we'll likely not survive running away. And hell, that assumes we don't get caught.
If we try to avenge dad right now, we're going to get backhanded if not killed. We aren't physically powerful, nor do we know dad's magic. And it'd take a hell of a lucky shot to do more than wound the guy.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
H Nuts to this place.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

the_steve posted:

I believe Jalitha is lying about being our mom.
I also believe that she is lying in order to protect us. I suspect before the end of the day, our village is going to be nothing but ash and ruin.

If she's lying, why would she have put so much time and effort into being with us, despite all of those beatings?

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Cry.
Mourn.
Life, whether evil or not, has died. Chance for freewill in this plane for them has ended and their memories, emotions and person is out of reach. Woe to them who find eternal damnation. Remember them, remember.
Asherah, though seemingly a source of power, is no Creator.
El, though many follow, has yet to prove their veracity.

Og, is young, and has gone through so much already. May he find solace.

It's time to let go. Mourn, but... let go of Ashar, of this life and of Shushem, Og's father.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

^ Nope! Vengeance!!!

I'm at work all day today but https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AmB38yzQY_2ZdE5FVXFGLXkzWEcwWTZzSHJIOF9sVmc&usp=drive_web should be editable if someone wants to help out. If you put a negative vote in or remove one due to a vote change add or remove 2 from the total votes slot to keep it corrected

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

You posted that moments after I finished a non computer aided, hand count heh.

I am going to start on the next update. People are welcome to still vote or change their votes till the update is up, though I would ask if you change your vote, please do so in a new vote, rather than editing your old one, thanks!

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

Changing my vote to H
Future vengence will be ours!
This is sort of turning out like fable, only we go with the bandits and become the hero, then slay them all.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

Canuck-Errant posted:

- we should probably grab that shark tooth. Maybe wrap it up in something. But yeah, fleeing seems like a good idea right now.

Agreed, this is my vote.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
I was Literally Dumbstruck that people are voting to go peacefully with the aliens who just straight up murdered our father, who we Love. They're probably going to slaughter our entire village, literally our Entire World, on a LIE, told by a twist asking us to go with her.

E

e: Sorry about all the capitalization and underlining but...goddamn.

A_Bug_That_Thinks fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 28, 2013

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

A Darker Porpoise posted:

^ Nope! Vengeance!!!

I'm at work all day today but https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AmB38yzQY_2ZdE5FVXFGLXkzWEcwWTZzSHJIOF9sVmc&usp=drive_web should be editable if someone wants to help out. If you put a negative vote in or remove one due to a vote change add or remove 2 from the total votes slot to keep it corrected

I added some conditional stuff to the spreadsheet so it tracks those automatically, so long as negative votes are marked as -1.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Taking the tooth increases the likelihood of us getting followed. Who follows us anyway? Jorah. It gives him an argument for doing so. Best case is he comes alone. Worst case is that it gets all the men of the village killed. We are getting nabbed/rescued by these guys regardless. The only question is how many people die and in what way in the process.

Did I mention how important it is to honor our new found heritage and take a little sip of Dad's blood before we leave? Get some on the tooth? Lick our fingers? Face first and totally horrific nightmare demon from the point of view of the strangers (and Maybe Mom)? The last is personally my fav. Followed by complete silent treatment, hugging the tooth, muttering to ourself, maybe talking to the tooth when we think we are not being watched and creepy staring for some time. We are mightily traumatized. Completely irrational behavior is not out of the question. I feel we should go quite mad for a period of time, as the only sane course of action.

Og the Mad

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Sogol posted:

Og the Mad

Nah. We've done a Madgod already, do we really need to be Mad Og as well?

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

A_Bug_That_Thinks posted:

I was Literally Dumbstruck that people are voting to go peacefully with the aliens who just straight up murdered our father, who we Love. They're probably going to slaughter our entire village, literally our Entire World, on a LIE, told by a twist asking us to go with her.

You and me both, man.

Have to say though, majority certainly seems to have spoken. Even if we take all the non-A and non-H votes together, we still don't appear to have more votes than H got (discounting F, of course). I suppose what really surprises me, though, is why so many people voted fishing village at the start if they all apparently wanted to abandon it at the first conceivable opportunity :confused:

I wanted nomads anyway :(

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

E

e: Sorry about all the capitalization and underlining but...goddamn.

Preach it, Brother.

The Bad Llama
Nov 22, 2004
The coke is just for color...

That's pretty much how I feel. Jalitha ran up to some foreign invaders with a basket of PEARLS and then handed them a BS story giving them all the religious and moral direction they needed to kill everyone in the village and take loot the place for more pearls too.

I see two possibilities for this.

Jalitha is telling a desperate lie to escape and return to her people. She cares about Og but didn't seem to be too concerned about Uncle Jorah. She did help raise Og alot but Uncle Jorah protected her as far as we know.

Jalitha is telling the truth and we're part of a giant fish worshipping tribe of cannibals that wants to be left alone. I think it's pretty hard to be a cannibal in a village of 140 when you have not seen ANYONE from outside the village for about 11 years.

The Bad Llama fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 28, 2013

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Can I join in on the team of not wanting to abandon everything we've ever known? It seems like Jalitha has had what she considers to be our best interests at heart, but it looks like my trust in her was misplaced for anything more.

Also, it's interesting to see the voting patterns for this vote compared to the last game where we were choosing our paths at the end. I guess it shouldn't be surprising that the same people who abandoned their god and people in the previous game are willing to do it again.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

The Bad Llama posted:

Jalitha is telling the truth and we're part of a giant fish worshipping tribe of cannibals that wants to be left alone. I think it's pretty hard to be a cannibal in a village of 140 when you have not seen ANYONE from outside the village for about 11 years.

For starters, 140 is a rather small genepool. There's either a lot more outside contact than we've seen so far or our people are more incestuous than the Habsburgs. That reminds me, we're a potentially incestuous tribe worshipping a cannibalistic sea creature that will one day rise from the depths and do terrible things, and we now have a reason to believe that our people are actually cannibals as well. We're living in the prehistoric Innsmouth.

Also, we've been treated pretty badly by everyone except for our uncles and our (real) mom, and have just seen our father turn into (more of ) a monster and die. Why wouldn't we want to hug Jalitha and get the hell away from our village?

Beef-Stew
Feb 1, 2005
mmmmmmm... Beefy
Modifying my vote to add E. Crying, if we are going to abandon our entire life to go with the people who killed our dad, we might as well do it looking like a little bitch. I encourage all people who wanted to stay behind to make a similar modification and make our voice heard!

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

gently caress this place, let's get out of here.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

my dad posted:

For starters, 140 is a rather small genepool. There's either a lot more outside contact than we've seen so far or our people are more incestuous than the Habsburgs. That reminds me, we're a potentially incestuous tribe worshipping a cannibalistic sea creature that will one day rise from the depths and do terrible things, and we now have a reason to believe that our people are actually cannibals as well. We're living in the prehistoric Innsmouth.

Also, we've been treated pretty badly by everyone except for our uncles and our (real) mom, and have just seen our father turn into (more of ) a monster and die. Why wouldn't we want to hug Jalitha and get the hell away from our village?

It was said earlier that brides come from neighboring villages to avoid the kind of inbreeding you're talking about.

As far as Jalitha goes, she cut our hair despite knowing this would enrage our father towards us. A loving mother protects her child from abuse, they don't paint a goddamn target on their forehead. And now she's happily pouring gasoline on a tense situation instead of diffusing, causing pointless bloodshed on both sides. Yeah, her life has sucked and she has reason to be pissed, but goddamn.

Anyways, our people may not have been warm and fuzzy towards us...but they're still our tribe and all we've ever known. And we're not even going to lift a finger to try and help or get back to them? Especially after a major trauma like this? We're going to abandon them for the person whose yelling just helped trigger our father's death? Really?

:psyduck: on people talking Jalitha's word on the cannibalisim thing as gospel too, when she has no way of knowing what happens at our manhood ceremony and has only a childish understanding of her own theology (let alone ours).

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 28, 2013

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
I just want to point out, too, that if, as a young child, I'd seen my father shoot lightning from his hands and take spears harmlessly in the chest without even batting an eye, I would have thought my dad was Superman spliced with Raiden and probably the Coolest Man of All Time.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Some wild speculation in this post.

We have never seen dad kill anyone before. Harm, yes. But never kill. You think Dad was holding back in his lightning magic? Maybe he was trying to drive them away\show his power, not kill them?

Jalitha planned to escape for a long time. Gathering a whole bucket of pearls (alghough we probably gave them to her) takes time. She didn't even make them into jewelry or use them in way. She must have collected them in order to sell to jewelers back in her home city. Maybe she knew the way home and planned to run away with us when we were old enough to survive the journey to her city.

Cons of leaving village:
-barely know language of new people
-Jalitha will take care of us, a person who has defamed our village and cut our hair, knowing it would make us outcasts.
-new people killed our dad in front of us
-lose chance at magic priest powers
-abondon village we were meant to lead
-Asherah might kill us all before we leave
-if we don't successfully leave, become an outcast to people because of attempted betrayal

Pros of leaving:
-will learn new language quickly, because we are a kid
-Jalitha will take care of us. She loves us.
-We will be rich with all those pearls.
-abondon village full of assholes and rape/beatings dad
-get away from Asherah, a cruel god
-join a very strong faction

Neutral point:
unknown status in new soceity(could be bottom class or high class)

Deadly Ham Sandwich fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 28, 2013

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

FoxTerrier posted:

It was said earlier that brides come from neighboring villages to avoid the kind of inbreeding you're talking about.

As far as Jalitha goes, she cut our hair despite knowing this would enrage our father towards us. A loving mother protects her child from abuse, they don't paint a goddamn target on their forehead. And now she's happily pouring gasoline on a tense situation instead of diffusing, causing pointless bloodshed on both sides. Yeah, her life has sucked and she has reason to be pissed, but goddamn.

Anyways, our people may not have been warm and fuzzy towards us...but they're still our tribe and all we've ever known. And we're not even going to lift a finger to try and help or get back to them? Especially after a major trauma like this? We're going to abandon them for the person whose yelling just helped trigger our father's death? Really?

:psyduck: on people talking Jalitha's word on the cannibalisim thing as gospel too, when she has no way of knowing what happens at our manhood ceremony and has only a childish understanding of her own theology (let alone ours).

This is a woman that was enslaved, raped and then watched her child be beaten by her rapist. She tried to do something special for her child that meant something spiritual to her, and got beaten almost to death for it. I don't think she's the one that should be blamed in that situation. Maybe the, you know, violent rapey douchebag should get some blame? It doesn't even matter that our Father is dead at this point, they'll just send another poo poo head priest from another village. We need to get out of here and away from the insanity.

Random Idiot
Mar 15, 2001
If you actually take the time to look, you notice there were only beatings when the issue at hand was offending fishgod and bringing his wrath on the entire village. Everything we know about fishgod says he has little to no problem smiting infidels, and a smack in the head is probably less egregious to the high priest than watching his village starve at best or get leveled by the full wrath of fishgod at worst.

Lots of people bringing in their modern day real world morality to a situation where it really has no place.

gerg_861
Jan 2, 2009
h from me. Goodbye loserville.seriously, who worships a fish god that isn't dagon?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Random Idiot posted:

Lots of people bringing in their modern day real world morality to a situation where it really has no place.

Discussion of this particular subject tends to end badly, at least in the threads I've followed.

My point is: We're a kid, we're frightened, and we want to go somewhere safe. Hugging Jalitha may be the wrong choice to make, but it is the right thing to do.

Adding crying to my vote.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

This is a woman that was enslaved, raped and then watched her child be beaten by her rapist. She tried to do something special for her child that meant something spiritual to her, and got beaten almost to death for it. I don't think she's the one that should be blamed in that situation. Maybe the, you know, violent rapey douchebag should get some blame? It doesn't even matter that our Father is dead at this point, they'll just send another poo poo head priest from another village. We need to get out of here and away from the insanity.

Oh I'm absolutely not absolving Dad of blame. There's no excuse for how he has treated Jalitha, it's beyond the pale and I completely understand why she'd be out for blood.

That being said, putting us in Dad crosshairs like that was still a terrible thing to do, precisely because she knows how brutal he could be. We're lucky she didn't finish the haircut, otherwise Dad may well have preferred to see us dead than so defiled. Taking her vengeance out on the rest of the village instead of just Dad...yeah, that's pretty much a dick move too.

Anyways, this is all increasingly a moot point. All I'm getting at is: This situation is a lot more complex than Jalitha = Good, Village = Evil Cannibal Assholes.

Overall, I just think at this point we'd have much more reason to trust our tribe than someone who we just saw as having an active role in the events that lead to our Dad's death. (regardless of how valid her actions may or may not be from our outside POV...you can probably make a pretty solid case for panicked desperation that way etc, but kid us wouldn't really get that.). :shrug:

EDIT: If I sound like I'm coming down particularly hard on Jalitha, it's just because the idea that she isn't purely good is more of a minority POV, so I argue her flaws (and why we wouldn't/shouldn't trust here fully) more forcefully. I really don't think she's a terrible person, just a complicated one that has made some questionable choices.

Really, every character so far has been complex and I don't think anyone has been purely good or evil. Dad beat us and inexcusably harmed Jalitha, but he was utterly devoted to the village's welfare. Jorah was kind, but never stood up for us or Jalitha. Jalitha loves us, but also put us and innocent villagers/foreign tradesmen in harms way. Mom was sweet, but absent. It's messy and complicated. Kudos to Diog for managing to make things so complex (in a good way).

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 28, 2013

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
In our last CYOA, Sebek, a man who was almost always right and had good intentions for his people, willingly threw his crying kids into molten gold. Gruesome poo poo had to be done or all of his people would die.

I don't think this is a case of applying 21st century morals on a primitive soceity. It is more a case of don't apply your values onto a people who will literally all die if poo poo does not get done. High priest doesn't have a son with his wife? You will all starve to death because Ashera hates you. But oh wait! A strange women has come from the ocean. This is obviously fish gods mercy on his people and is meant to give the priest a son.

Dad did not have any other children with Jalitha. I don't think he raped her for joy or violence. I think he did it because he must have a son or he will fail his people and all his ancestors if he does not. I don't think he enjoys beating us either. Still a dick move.

Dad was still an rear end in a top hat, though. And Asherah is an rear end in a top hat too. Though I don't think the gods of Jalitha's people will be all flowrs and hugs. All of Jalitha's stories involve killing foreigners.

Asherah can be criel and kind, but our village was peaceful, content, and never knew war. Jalitha's people and rwligion are all about war. They probably have slaves, starving poor, and a whole host of other problems.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

FoxTerrier posted:

Overall, I just think at this point we'd have much more reason to trust our tribe than someone who we just saw as having an active role in the events that lead to our Dad's death (regardless of how valid her actions may or may not be...you can probably make a pretty solid case for emotional desperation etc). :shrug:

Counterpoint: Dad is an rear end in a top hat.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Random Idiot posted:

If you actually take the time to look, you notice there were only beatings when the issue at hand was offending fishgod and bringing his wrath on the entire village. Everything we know about fishgod says he has little to no problem smiting infidels, and a smack in the head is probably less egregious to the high priest than watching his village starve at best or get leveled by the full wrath of fishgod at worst.

Even putting aside the discussion of basic human morality, the rest of the village seemed to get along with each other without having to do terrible things, so it's not just "real-world" or "modern-day" morality. Even if the violence and rape are something mandated by the fish god, that would be something that would be good to get away from.

Metoron
Jun 5, 2006
Hurm.
, This place blows and I want to see if we can make a knife out of the tooth.

Tudhalias
Sep 7, 2009

Ego Trip posted:

Counterpoint: Dad is an rear end in a top hat.

Dad was an assole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Tudhalias posted:

Dad was an assole.

Not really sure why it matters either. I'm sure a lot of people, probably even here, have had dads who would fit into the 'rear end in a top hat' category, maybe even dads who, looking back, were legitimately bad guys. Yet I also doubt many of those people, faced with a mob of men who just broke into their house and shot their 'rear end in a top hat' dad in the face, would be ready to go running off with said murdering mob, regardless of whether or not their affectionate nanny was currently suggesting that they do so.