Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Sash! posted:

I Know we follow comic book rules and someone is only dead if you see a body, and even then sometimes it doesn't matter.

But I'm pretty sure we saw the last of King Gorilla :smith:

I do hope he shows up in a flashback at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Shirt Club is back!

revolther
May 27, 2008
165 for 10 shirts, so tempting...

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

revolther posted:

165 for 10 shirts, so tempting...

255 for overseas shipping :(

This hurts me.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Look at my face

I'm pretty sure the cartoon series was loosely based on the true events of his childhood.
Edit: beaten

What trips me up is that Scooby Doo is a cartoon referenced by Triana in regards to Hank's clothes, based on real people referenced by Action Johnny on his way into the strip joint, but also parodied with murderers in Dia de los Dangerous. The same thing goes with the main characters being a parody of Johnny Quest but also having Johnny Quest characters in the show.

It's almost too much for the OCD fanboy in me to handle, but then I remember that this is the greatest show ever made and I guess I get over it.

I'm pretty sure Action Jonny was supposed to be just Jonny Quest, but somewhere around Season 3 Cartoon Network was planning a Jonny Quest revival and Doc/Jackson got pushback. I'm having trouble finding a citation for this, so there's a good chance they mentioned it in the commentaries. It's at the very least a plausable fan theory, because in the first season they use "Race Bannon" in Ice Station, and the pirate says "Mr Quest" in Twenty Years to Midnight.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Fine, titmouse store, take my money.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Hell of a time to be unemployed...:smith:

I'll probably still do the full shirtclub...who needs to buy food when I have glorious t-shirts?
Yep. I pulled from savings. I need clothing and that is a reasonable price for something I will love. Enclothe uses American Apparel shirts, and all but one of those shirts has held up pretty well.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Looks like you got a little herpe on your lip there, you been kissin' your wife's rear end?

After I put herpe in there.

Just quoted this because it always make me laugh.

Bored fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 27, 2013

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Hell of a time to be unemployed...:smith:

I'll probably still do the full shirtclub...who needs to buy food when I have glorious t-shirts?

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

ultramiraculous posted:

I'm pretty sure Action Jonny was supposed to be just Jonny Quest

I know, that's what I mean, they have parody characters(Doc) interacting with the characters they're parodying(Action Johnny/Quest)
Normally I'd nitpick that kinda decision but Johnny's one of my favorite side characters on the show.

Looks like you got a little herpe on your lip there, you been kissin' your wife's rear end?

After I put herpe in there.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
How exactly can I put through a subscription? There doesn't seem to be a link to do so.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.

Emerson Cod posted:

How exactly can I put through a subscription? There doesn't seem to be a link to do so.

http://www.titmousestuff.com/products/venture-bros-shirt-club-subscription

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I know, that's what I mean, they have parody characters(Doc) interacting with the characters they're parodying(Action Johnny/Quest)
Normally I'd nitpick that kinda decision but Johnny's one of my favorite side characters on the show.

What are the big differences between the equivalent characters? Like why are Doc and Johnny so different when they had relatively similar upbringings? They both seem to do drugs. It just looks like Johnny went more overboard? Or maybe it's because Doc had kids, so he had to bring himself at least partway back down to earth.

Then there's Hadji, who seems to have turned out okay, compared with Hector, who's in some state of arrested development. I guess we don't seen enough of Hadji to make a good comparison though.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Bloodnose posted:

What are the big differences between the equivalent characters? Like why are Doc and Johnny so different when they had relatively similar upbringings? They both seem to do drugs. It just looks like Johnny went more overboard? Or maybe it's because Doc had kids, so he had to bring himself at least partway back down to earth.

And Rusty at least inherited the Venture Compound.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I suppose the difference between Johnny and Doc was that Johnny never had a lick of scientific acumen, while Doc is actually a pretty decent super-scientist, just really negative and lazy. So while they were both good kid-adventurers, Doc tried to prove his worth by stepping into his father's shoes, and Johnny, presumably, wasted all the Quest money on thrill-seeking and drugs.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I'm pretty sure they explicitly stated that Johnny got hooked on drugs as a teenager, while Doc is only on a little weed by the time college comes around and doesn't start going full on "diet pills" until he's an adult. So that probably has something to do with that.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The difference is that Johnny had Race Bannon, whereas Rusty had Colonel Gentleman, the Action Man, and Kano.

No, wait, that does the opposite of explain anything...

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Don't forget that Johnny was actually a villain at one point.

He was the Lizardman that stole the serum.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bloodnose posted:

Then there's Hadji, who seems to have turned out okay, compared with Hector, who's in some state of arrested development. I guess we don't seen enough of Hadji to make a good comparison though.

I thought that Johnny ended up so much worse than Doc because he was the more experienced and prominent of the two, the archetype of the boy adventurer. Benton Quest was an A-lister who defined the category that Doc and the others later fit into. Because his experience was an order of magnitude greater than Doc's (fame, adventures, clueless super-science father), Johnny's an order of magnitude more messed up than Doc.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Really? Within the context of the Venture world, it really seems like Jonas Venture Sr. was the tippy top of everything. He had all the compounds, estates, islands, space stations, conglomerates. Not to mention he's all big and buff, while Benton Quest has a figure more like Rusty Venture.

I haven't seen Johnny Quest since I was a kid, but even in their own universe, were the Quests like super rich industrialists? I guess they did have their own plane, but it seemed almost like Benton Quest was like a researcher for some company and using their jet or something.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bloodnose posted:

Really? Within the context of the Venture world, it really seems like Jonas Venture Sr. was the tippy top of everything. He had all the compounds, estates, islands, space stations, conglomerates. Not to mention he's all big and buff, while Benton Quest has a figure more like Rusty Venture.

I haven't seen Johnny Quest since I was a kid, but even in their own universe, were the Quests like super rich industrialists? I guess they did have their own plane, but it seemed almost like Benton Quest was like a researcher for some company and using their jet or something.

This is partially on the meta-level of Johnny Quest being an inspiration for the show, so Doc and the rest are necessarily shadows of the Johnny Quest show. I don't know that it's untrue in the world of the show, either. Jonas has great importance to Doc and his circle because he was a big influence on them, but the Venture world is pretty big and full of poo poo that doesn't touch on him at all: magic, superheroes, robots. I'd imagine there are a lot of big wheels occupying various corners of that world that may not overlap, and we're just focused on one.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

:woop: I love the Ventures Industries shirt I got last club, can't wait for this one.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Winklebottom posted:

255 for overseas shipping :(

This hurts me.

$9 per shirt? drat.

I'm not sure how I can add the international shipping, the total before paying always shows the $165.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Sereri posted:

$9 per shirt? drat.

I'm not sure how I can add the international shipping, the total before paying always shows the $165.

Such a deal!

I'll take 8

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
So apparently they're doing screenings of season finale followed by the premier on the big screen (up to five before it airs) in select cities. People taht go will get a lmited edition print and a chance to win actual film cells. It's coming no where near me, and I hate all of you that are going to be able to go to this.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

axleblaze posted:

It's coming no where near me, and I hate all of you that are going to be able to go to this.

Seriously, did they just forget about California?

Also, how the hell do they have 3 venues in BFE, Texas?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Illuminado posted:

I think this is mostly just a thing they're doing with the Alamo Drafthouse, which is mostly just in Texas.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

axleblaze posted:

So apparently they're doing screenings of season finale followed by the premier on the big screen (up to five before it airs) in select cities. People taht go will get a lmited edition print and a chance to win actual film cells. It's coming no where near me, and I hate all of you that are going to be able to go to this.

Where were you like 2 days ago to give me this info. I would've driven to Melbourne.

e: Screw it, I'm going. It's only an hour away. Thanks for the heads up!

Cacafuego fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 28, 2013

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

axleblaze posted:

I think this is mostly just a thing they're doing with the Alamo Drafthouse, which is mostly just in Texas.

I meant more logistically speaking. Granted, I know that this isn't a big deal or anything, I can wait and wouldn't go to any of the major hubs in my area (San Francisco, Los Angeles), but what marketing guy ok'd that decision? "Yeah, we'll just put it in all of your bars located in central Texas..."

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Alamo drafthouse is big on this sort of thing. Weird that the one in DC isn't.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

axleblaze posted:

They're building one here in SF so maybe for the season 6 premiere... :unsmith:

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010

axleblaze posted:

What the hell. Melbourne is my hometown and is nowhere near any kind of cool metropolis/city. I'm dumbfounded that it's playing there. That theater isn't even *that* cool. Well, I guess it is now. I can't believe this. Anyone I know that would go to this is now on the West Coast (including me). I just want to live vicariously....

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Illuminado posted:

This show is made in GA, how can they not have a screening here?

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
Williams Street Productions is headquartered in GA, but that's just the production company. To the best of my knowledge most of the contributing work that Doc Hammer and Jackson Publick is in NYC, but enough nitpicking. It'll be on in a few more days, and I can wait in all honesty. I don't have time to drive down to anywhere it would have been playing anyway.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

axleblaze posted:

No Nashville :(

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

They picked the 92-seat Nitehawk too. That poo poo sells out for normal movies regularly.

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

What's the preferred method for those without Cartoon Network to watch the new season? During either season 3 or 4, I was able to watch the new episodes on Cartoon Network's site 24 hours after it aired on TV. Are they still doing this? Even if it was like a week after the episode aired, I'd still be okay with it.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

axleblaze posted:

OH SON OF A BITCH I LIVE IN DENVER CO!!! OMG!
Holy loving :woop:.

Oh poo poo, that's tonight.. I gotta get on that.

edit. kill me now its sold out.

deong fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 28, 2013

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sash! posted:

Alamo drafthouse is big on this sort of thing. Weird that the one in DC isn't.

Is it wrong that I kind of want to move to Austin just to go to the Drafthouse? Seriously, it sounds like the greatest loving theater on earth.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Giant Boy Detective posted:

What's the preferred method for those without Cartoon Network to watch the new season? During either season 3 or 4, I was able to watch the new episodes on Cartoon Network's site 24 hours after it aired on TV. Are they still doing this? Even if it was like a week after the episode aired, I'd still be okay with it.

I think Adult swim does that still. When Black Dynamite was aired, it was after 24 hours. Also considering how huge and popular VB is it would be really stupid of them discontinue.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

axleblaze posted:

You son of a bitch, I didn't realize the Drafthouse was doing this (I live in San Antonio)!

Now it's sold out. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

fount of knowledge posted:

You son of a bitch, I didn't realize the Drafthouse was doing this (I live in San Antonio)!

Now it's sold out. :(

That's why I check the Drafthouse's website every couple days.

lelandjs posted:

Is it wrong that I kind of want to move to Austin just to go to the Drafthouse? Seriously, it sounds like the greatest loving theater on earth.

It really is. It's also in a few other cities, so you don't necessarily need to go to Austin.