Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Awesome, thanks! It's definitely not bigger than that, I'm pretty sure it maxes out at ####x1080 (can't remember the width).
Unless you got one of those funky super wide displays yours is probably 1920 wide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Disclaimer: I am a bored layman. As one is wont to do, I thought I'd search CPU charts to see what performance we could expect from Haswell (or, for me, what I'm "missing" from not upgrading from an i7-870). The i7-4xxx / E3-12xx Xeon series are Haswell.

From PassMark (left text mine):

I didn't see the mobile CPUs benched, but if these are accurate it appears that:
- Haswell may indeed be about power efficiency, but not particularly offer a CPU performance boost.
- The rMBP's max CPU config is really, stupidly powerful for a portable!
- Holy lord, will the Mac Pro benefit from an upgrade. I don't see a 6-core CPU announced though, so a 12-core config might not be at the ready. All things being equal, a new 8-core (2x E3-1280 @ 9,856 = ~19,712) might score only a hair higher than the the current 12-core (2x X5675 @ 9,382 = ~18,764).

Obviously performance is subjective to how you use your computer, so the above is almost always totally meaningless for typical Mac users. Lately I'm waiting on video renders for freelance, so time is literally money. Thus my interest.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

kuskus posted:

- Holy lord, will the Mac Pro benefit from an upgrade. I don't see a 6-core CPU announced though, so a 12-core config might not be at the ready. All things being equal, a new 8-core (2x E3-1280 @ 9,856 = ~19,712) might score only a hair higher than the the current 12-core (2x X5675 @ 9,382 = ~18,764).

You can't use more than one E3 in a single machine, you'd have to step up to the E5. It's alsolikely that the use the successors to chips like the E5-4650, 8-core, 16-threads on a single CPU. And then if you want to spend something like $9,000 on a workstation, you can get two of them.

Hyperdermic Needle
Oct 24, 2010
Hey, I've had my 13" Macbook Air for the past 2 years and it has served me beautifully. I think at some point in the next 6 months it's time to get a new machine though; is there a clear leader right now? I love the portability of the Air but heard that the retina 13" MBP is pretty light and a great machine too. What's going to be new at WWDC, are there rumors of refreshes to both the Air line and the MBP line?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Hyperdermic Needle posted:

Hey, I've had my 13" Macbook Air for the past 2 years and it has served me beautifully. I think at some point in the next 6 months it's time to get a new machine though; is there a clear leader right now? I love the portability of the Air but heard that the retina 13" MBP is pretty light and a great machine too. What's going to be new at WWDC, are there rumors of refreshes to both the Air line and the MBP line?

Nobody has come up with a reason why they wouldn't continue making both. The Air vs Retina has been hashed out a few times recently, just skim the last couple pages of this thread

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Like everything it really depends on your use case, but the Air is better for most workloads. The 15 inch retina has a dedicated video card so it has significantly different capabilities than all of the others.

What do you intend to do with it?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Air: Wedge shaped. Not as glossy. Half a pound lighter.

Retina: 2 Thunderbolt ports. HDMI port. Incredible screen (viewing angles etc not to mention the Retina resolution). More battery life. A little bit faster CPU. No massive gray bezel. 1cm narrower and 1cm shallower. Better speakers (does this matter?)

The prices get real close when you go up to 8GB of RAM to the Air.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Retina: 2 Thunderbolt ports. HDMI port. Incredible screen (viewing angles etc not to mention the Retina resolution). More battery life. A little bit faster CPU. No massive gray bezel. 1cm narrower and 1cm shallower. Better speakers (does this matter?)

That's only comparing the 13's

The 15 has worse battery life, much better CPU, and dedicated graphics card that makes it a pretty capable gaming machine (Borderlands 2 on medium). The combination of good CPU/GPU and great SSD makes the 15 the best software development laptop under 6 lbs.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Stick100 posted:

The 15 has worse battery life, much better CPU, and dedicated graphics card that makes it a pretty capable gaming machine (Borderlands 2 on medium). The combination of good CPU/GPU and great SSD makes the 15 the best software development laptop under 6 lbs.

It doesn't sound like he was considering the 15"

I love the portability of the Air but heard that the retina 13" MBP is pretty light and a great machine too.

alanthecat
Dec 19, 2005

Ursine Asylum posted:

On the plus side you have 15 days to convince her to return it with no restocking fee :v:

What's the story here? My little sister can't live two weeks without a laptop. Can she pay in cash, get cash back in 14 days without giving any reason for the return?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

alanthecat posted:

What's the story here? My little sister can't live two weeks without a laptop. Can she pay in cash, get cash back in 14 days without giving any reason for the return?

Yup.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

kuskus posted:

Disclaimer: I am a bored layman. As one is wont to do, I thought I'd search CPU charts to see what performance we could expect from Haswell (or, for me, what I'm "missing" from not upgrading from an i7-870). The i7-4xxx / E3-12xx Xeon series are Haswell.

Important note: E3-12xx is actually Sandy Bridge. E3-12xx v2 is Ivy Bridge. And E3-12xx v3 will be Haswell. The PassMark benchmark number you posted is actually Ivy Bridge.

quote:

You won't ever see a 6-core E3-12xx v3. Since Sandy Bridge, Xeon E3 is the name for rebadged mainstream desktop parts, fitting the same LGA-11xx sockets as the corresponding desktop line. Features are slightly different, the most notable being that the Xeons all have ECC. It's really the exact same silicon with a different feature set enabled. Since those desktop product lines have only had up to 4 cores to date, and that's not changing in Haswell, that's what you get in Xeon E3 v3.

You can't actually put two E3 processors in one machine. Because of their desktop lineage, they're single socket only, no provisions for dual-socket (or higher). For that feature, you have to move up in the world to Xeon E5. So E5 is what you should be looking at when speculating about Mac Pros.

Presently the only E5 processors on the market are Sandy Bridge, 4 to 8 cores per socket.. Ivy Bridge E5 ("v2") is due out very soon. Haswell E5 isn't due till next year at the earliest. (It takes a lot of extra time to validate and bugfix dual socket Xeons, in part because they're doing more complex things, in part because the market for these CPUs demands a higher standard of bug-freeness than the mainstream desktop market does.) Unless Apple decides to offer a low cost single socket only model, expect the 2013 Mac Pro refresh to use Ivy Bridge E5.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Stick100 posted:

I'd like to nitpick and point out that the 15" only has worse battery life if you're using the discrete GPU all the time. If you're doing the same sort of things that you're looking at the air/13" pro for, you'll end up with significantly more battery life. I regularly get 10 hours of use out of mine with the screen at 3/4 brightness and wifi on if I'm just browsing the web, using terminal and office apps.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

I scratched the palm rest of my MBP because I'm a dumb poo poo, is there an acceptable way of buffing it out somehow?
I feel like an idiot, I've kept this thing in utterly perfect condition except for this and it's pissing me off.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

When does apple usually start up their "LOL BACK 2 SCHOOL LOL" deal? I'm waiting until after WWDC to pick up my college bound nephew a MBP, but am trying to figure out when to pull the trigger.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Maneki Neko posted:

When does apple usually start up their "LOL BACK 2 SCHOOL LOL" deal? I'm waiting until after WWDC to pick up my college bound nephew a MBP, but am trying to figure out when to pull the trigger.

I hadn't considered this. I could get in on this deal myself. What did Apple offer in the deal last year?

[edit]
Here is last years; http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/11/apple-launches-2012-back-to-school-promotion/

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 29, 2013

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Does the non-retina 15" MBP perform better when it comes to heat? Does it game better because it has less pixels to push?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
From memory they have the exact same GPU right? ie. mobile 650?
So the non-Retina version will be better for gaming.

Heat should be about the same.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

alanthecat posted:

Not sure if you meant "cash" literally, but just in case: most stores (including the Apple Store as of ~4 years ago when I last checked) refund large cash transactions as a mailed check. It takes about 3 weeks.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Sonic Dude posted:

Not sure if you meant "cash" literally, but just in case: most stores (including the Apple Store as of ~4 years ago when I last checked) refund large cash transactions as a mailed check. It takes about 3 weeks.

I thought they also did store credit?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Did the Air get the anti reflective coating? I heard the retina MBPs (and new iMacs) got an AR coating but don't remember if the MBA's screen/glass changed at all.

Otherwise since we're talking about whatever theoretical Haswell versions, they'll have the option to also differentiate performance by the integrated GPU since there'll be different tiers. Going by the chart the MBA would probably be stuck with whatever lower end "HD graphics" while the MBP could get the mid range "Iris graphics" (and suspect GT3e would be only available in the 15", unless the 13" retina gets a quad core option).

BobHoward posted:

Xeon chat :words:

Unless Apple decides to offer a low cost single socket only model, expect the 2013 Mac Pro refresh to use Ivy Bridge E5.
I'm looking forward to the Mac Pro Cube with E3v3 :colbert:

And while I'm dreaming, an 11" retina MBP. I figure that's more realistic than a new Cube at least.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
I know the new models are right around the corner, but I'm strongly considering an Apple refurb 13" rMBP. Does Apple typically drop the price of refurb models when the new ones are announced? If so, does anyone have an idea how much I might expect to save if I wait another 2 weeks? I'm probably not willing to wait for refurbished versions of new models and for my typical laptop use cases I can't justify the significant price bump to buy new if it's just going to be a minor spec bump.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

Does Apple typically drop the price of refurb models when the new ones are announced? If so, does anyone have an idea how much I might expect to save if I wait another 2 weeks?
I'm not sure if it still operates like this, but in the past the refurbs generally just followed their own pricing timeline without regard to other machines. For a while it was pretty common to see old high specced Core 2 models costing more than newer Core i5/i7 machines cause the discounting went off the original pricing. Like the $1949 refurb on there now will probably still be in the higher end range regardless of what the new machines are. It might drop but I wouldn't expect huge discounts just cause newer hardware is out.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Apple increased the education discount for 13" Macbook Pro's, they now start at $999. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1588801

How likely is it that this new discount will carry over to the new MacBook Pro's when those come out?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

japtor posted:

I'm not sure if it still operates like this, but in the past the refurbs generally just followed their own pricing timeline without regard to other machines. For a while it was pretty common to see old high specced Core 2 models costing more than newer Core i5/i7 machines cause the discounting went off the original pricing. Like the $1949 refurb on there now will probably still be in the higher end range regardless of what the new machines are. It might drop but I wouldn't expect huge discounts just cause newer hardware is out.

Plus, there won't be any refurbs of the latest model for a few months to drive the prices down of the current model refurbs.

The 15" Retina refurb is $1599 for the 8/256 model

http://slickdeals.net/f/6049934-Cer...r-Ship-to-Store

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

I said come in! posted:

Apple increased the education discount for 13" Macbook Pro's, they now start at $999. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1588801

How likely is it that this new discount will carry over to the new MacBook Pro's when those come out?

No way. Clearing out stock for new Haswell models.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Civil posted:

No way. Clearing out stock for new Haswell models.

Yeah, but Apple hasn't even started their annual back-to-school promotion yet and Haswell models are supposedly premiering in early June. It would be weird for them to drop the price on their most popular student notebook and then raise it again once the new ones are out- especially since most of the people buying 13" MBPs for school probably know or care next to nothing about what's inside them aside from "I think I want a DVD drive, just in case." It would just look bad.

I think this might reflect a more permanent price drop for the 13" MBP (announced at WWDC?), maybe with a lower price on the rMBP too. In any case, I think it's in their best interest to differentiate the 13" MBA and MBP a bit more than they have, and this is probably a good way to do it. If anything, it's a good way to start sloooooowly phasing out the legacy stuff, similar to what happened to the plastic Macbook.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Do normal people (i.e. not schools or whatever) still buy the optical MBPs? Seems insane if so.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Lexicon posted:

Do normal people (i.e. not schools or whatever) still buy the optical MBPs? Seems insane if so.

Yup.

DVD
Ethernet
The letters are nice and big
Still a mile ahead of poo poo PC notebooks

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

Yup.

DVD
Ethernet
The letters are nice and big
Still a mile ahead of poo poo PC notebooks

But they are so heavy?

I guess if you don't care about mobility it'll do, but I hated lugging my old 13" MBP around.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
I'm currently planning on getting a 11" air after the refresh, but if they were to drop the optical drive from the MBP and slim it down a bit more, I'd go for that instead. Hard to justify spending much more than $1k on a computer I'm basically using for web surfing, office work, and menial network tasks.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Civil posted:

I'm currently planning on getting a 11" air after the refresh, but if they were to drop the optical drive from the MBP and slim it down a bit more, I'd go for that instead. Hard to justify spending much more than $1k on a computer I'm basically using for web surfing, office work, and menial network tasks.
They did this already, it's called the 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display. Better screen, solid state drive, better battery, weighs 400 grams less. It just costs more.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Civil posted:

I'd go for this as well. A larger MBA with more horsepower would be awesome but as mentioned above I think that Apple needs, or wants to, offer distinct products.

Mercurius posted:

They did this already, it's called the 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display. Better screen, solid state drive, better battery, weighs 400 grams less. It just costs more.

If you don't care about the retina it's too expensive, the SSD is nice though.

Boatswain fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 30, 2013

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Boatswain posted:

If you don't care about the retina it's too expensive, the SSD is nice though.
Pretty sure that if you put a SSD and 8GB of RAM into the normal 13" MBP using Apple's site that they're very close in price. I realise you can put equivalent third party stuff into the normal MBP for cheaper but then it's still heavier, thicker, has an awful screen and you'll probably need to swap the stock parts back in if you need to get any warranty work done on it.

YMMV as always, but I actually think the Retina 13" is pretty reasonable given it's a marginally heavier MBA with a better screen, more power and more battery life.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Mercurius posted:

YMMV as always, but I actually think the Retina 13" is pretty reasonable given it's a marginally heavier MBA with a better screen, more power and more battery life.
And it has a slightly smaller footprint than the 13" MBA and MBP I think.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Boatswain posted:

But they are so heavy?

I guess if you don't care about mobility it'll do, but I hated lugging my old 13" MBP around.

Most people who have 15" MBP at my work use them mainly as a desk machine and barely carry them around, except maybe taking them home on the weekends.

For portability most people go for 13" MB Airs

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Boatswain posted:

But they are so heavy?

"So heavy" = less than an additional pound of weight? I'm sorry (and I know it's subjective), but I don't really consider an extra pound of weight as being some type of mobility-killing element. The optical drive and Ethernet port are definitely on the way out, but it's still nice to be able to swap in higher capacity RAM and a different hard drive if desired.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

SourKraut posted:

"So heavy" = less than an additional pound of weight? I'm sorry (and I know it's subjective), but I don't really consider an extra pound of weight as being some type of mobility-killing element. The optical drive and Ethernet port are definitely on the way out, but it's still nice to be able to swap in higher capacity RAM and a different hard drive if desired.

I agree with your points, but every pound counts when you have a bag full of other poo poo plus a Pro

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Weights for reference (for 13" models), cause saying "less than an additional pound" doesn't mean much without context*:

MBA - 2.96
MBPR - 3.57
MBP - 4.5

...so the MBP is actually over a pound and a half heavier than the MBA, or 52% more weight. It's (barely) less than a pound heavier than the MBPR though!

*The big iPad is less than a pound heavier than the iPad mini but that's still over double the weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OatmealRocks
Jul 6, 2006
Burrp!

Bob Morales posted:

Plus, there won't be any refurbs of the latest model for a few months to drive the prices down of the current model refurbs.

The 15" Retina refurb is $1599 for the 8/256 model

http://slickdeals.net/f/6049934-Cer...r-Ship-to-Store

That is a pretty sweet deal. Wished they had some 16GB BTO for sale.