Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Christmas Jones
Apr 12, 2007

nuklear fizzicist
TBONTB is likely my favorite pre-1950 film. It suffers a bit in retrospect for not fully understanding or being aware of the full evil of what it was lampooning, but it makes up for it in other areas. It's one of the funniest farces I've ever seen. The levels of energy and cleverness on display were really great to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Criterion just put up a sortable/searchable page of all their Hulu+ stuff http://www.criterion.com/hulu -- there's a ton I had no idea was on there so I'm already finding it useful :shobon:

e: For example I had no idea they'd put Voyage to Italy up already http://www.hulu.com/watch/406746?utm_source=site&utm_medium=play&utm_campaign=criterion

leokitty fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 17, 2013

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Oh thank god, the old page was such a loving pain to navigate.

QVT
Jul 22, 2007

standing at the punch table swallowing punch
There are like 300 online only titles on there that I didn't know about. Some of them are really good too!

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

zenintrude posted:

Reading a brief description of Seconds makes it sound like The Game + Eternal Sunshine... confirm/deny?

Seconds is a drat good movie - that's all I'll say.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
Heads up. Barnes & Nobel is offering 40% off all Blu-rays right now. With my member discount and the 20% Memorial Day coupon, I picked up Repo Man for $17.27.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

RustedChrome posted:

Heads up. Barnes & Nobel is offering 40% off all Blu-rays right now. With my member discount and the 20% Memorial Day coupon, I picked up Repo Man for $17.27.

Can you point me in the direction of the 20% off memorial day coupon?

EDIT: Ah, is it a members thing?

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 24, 2013

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

caiman posted:

Can you point me in the direction of the 20% off memorial day coupon?

EDIT: Ah, is it a members thing?

Yes, I got it via members email. http://images.barnesandnoble.com/pImages/email/2013/05/coupons/0523_m_acctless20off_coup.gif

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

How did you get it to work? I tried to put in the coupon code when I put in my order and it said it didn't meet the eligibility requirements (i.e. since they're already doing the 40% off thing, it can't be combined with any other offer, I thought).

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Hewlett posted:

How did you get it to work? I tried to put in the coupon code when I put in my order and it said it didn't meet the eligibility requirements (i.e. since they're already doing the 40% off thing, it can't be combined with any other offer, I thought).

If it's a member coupon, I assume it checks to see whether you're a member before it applies.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Sorry, that's a store coupon. Online it says to use this code at checkout 2C5W8LWMW5YTC
(it still may be members only or maybe it's dynamicly generated and can only be used once. Sorry if it's no use to non-members)

RustedChrome fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 24, 2013

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

RustedChrome posted:

Sorry, that's a store coupon. Online it says to use this code at checkout 2C5W8LWMW5YTC
(it still may be members only or maybe it's dynamicly generated and can only be used once. Sorry if it's no use to non-members)

This code still requires you to have a membership but it doesn't appear to be unique.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Yeah, I'm a member, and even that code seems to not work, strange. Maybe I'll give it a shot doing the in-store coupon at some point this weekend.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Funny this discussion is in the Criterion thread 'cause Criterions are the only ones I wouldn't buy with this particular sale, given that the 50% sale is coming up soon.

With that said, I picked up Upstream Color and White Zombie.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

caiman posted:

Funny this discussion is in the Criterion thread 'cause Criterions are the only ones I wouldn't buy with this particular sale, given that the 50% sale is coming up soon.

That's what I was thinking when I saw the sale sign... but waiting sucks!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

caiman posted:

Is there a specific time of year they do this? I always just hear about it here but I've never noticed if it's the same time every year or anything. Because I also want that Repoman blu-ray, but like so many others I only buy Criterions when there's a sale.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The 50% Criterion sales have, so far, been in June and November.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I thought it was July and November.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

...in July. Can you emphasize a bit `in'? `In July'.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

SubG posted:

...in July. Can you emphasize a bit `in'? `In July'.

You're just trying to get me to go down on you.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Impossible. Meaningless.

Has anyone here checked out the Pierre Etaix set yet? The clips I've seen are great.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The Barnes & Noble 40% off + 10% membership + 15% weekend coupon = Monsieur Verdoux and the Kubrick Blu box. Spartacus could use less DNR -is everyone wrapped in saran wrap?- but hey, the rest looks good to me.

I'm completely new to Verdoux but cannot wait to imbibe some new Chaplin. Bonus trivia: It was Orson Welles's film first and he wanted to direct Chaplin, but Chaplin would only accept himself as director and bought the rights from Welles.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

I think I figured out my problem with the coupon code - under all the Blurays on BN.com, it says "Note: This item does not qualify for coupons or promotional discounts unless expressly stated." Don't know how you guys are getting your codes to work. :smith:

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Hewlett posted:

I think I figured out my problem with the coupon code - under all the Blurays on BN.com, it says "Note: This item does not qualify for coupons or promotional discounts unless expressly stated." Don't know how you guys are getting your codes to work. :smith:

I tried using my coupon again today at the store and it came up "already redeemed." So, it seems BN is generating unique codes for each member for this promotion. In the past I'd print up multiple coupons and use them for separate purchases in the same day. No more of that I suppose.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Well what they're saying is that you can't use extra coupons on the blurays since they're already 40% off, so it can't be combined with another promotion.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Space Fish posted:

The Barnes & Noble 40% off + 10% membership + 15% weekend coupon = Monsieur Verdoux and the Kubrick Blu box. Spartacus could use less DNR -is everyone wrapped in saran wrap?- but hey, the rest looks good to me.

I'm completely new to Verdoux but cannot wait to imbibe some new Chaplin. Bonus trivia: It was Orson Welles's film first and he wanted to direct Chaplin, but Chaplin would only accept himself as director and bought the rights from Welles.

What's all this about a weekend coupon?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

DVD Beaver on Safety Last!

:aaa:

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Did Lloyd's estate produce an expensive restoration or are the film elements just in that good condition? The movie is ninety for Christ sake.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Jesus Christ, this is unreal.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

Criterionforum.org says Rossellini/Bergman (Stromboli features tuna fishing and Voyage to Italy and Europa '51 were also expected).

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Robert Denby posted:

Did Lloyd's estate produce an expensive restoration or are the film elements just in that good condition? The movie is ninety for Christ sake.

A little of both. Lloyd did a great job of preserving his films until a fire in the fifties. Ucla restored all the Estate films about a decade ago. Safety Last was from Lloyd's own print. Speedy will look even better since the negative still existed.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

Criterionforum.org says Rossellini/Bergman (Stromboli features tuna fishing and Voyage to Italy and Europa '51 were also expected).

I thought it might be Summertime. Fish out of water in Italy.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Dare to dream: Another Rosselini box set?
Since the image is named wacky_tuna Stromboli was my thought, though.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I've seen all three of those, and they were all 7/10. Meh. I'm sure the cf.org guys are creaming themselves though.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

FitFortDanga posted:

I've seen all three of those, and they were all 7/10. Meh. I'm sure the cf.org guys are creaming themselves though.

No, they immediately moved on to grousing that this notional box set wasn't also going to include Joan of Arc.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

leokitty posted:

Criterion just put up a sortable/searchable page of all their Hulu+ stuff http://www.criterion.com/hulu -- there's a ton I had no idea was on there so I'm already finding it useful :shobon:
Thanks for posting this.
Browsing Hulu is terrible.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Amazon has a 50% off sale on most Criterion Blus right now.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Egbert Souse posted:

Amazon has a 50% off sale on most Criterion Blus right now.

Thanks, there goes more of my money. :smith:

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

This is always my problem with amazon.com - the shipping doesn't make the sale worth it up here in Canada. Why can't amazon.ca have the same sale!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Seems like one half off sale is as good as the other - especially with Prime shipping added. I ordered Colonel Blimp, being hoping to watch more of the Archer's films.