Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Volmarias posted:

Uh, did she? More than a couple of fables or stories?

Yeah, and we certainly prayed to him. Largely fables or stories, but the truth is that was what we knew of Asherah as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
OPTION B: Say yes, in the outside tongue, it is one of the words you know

Beef-Stew
Feb 1, 2005
mmmmmmm... Beefy
Voting B. Can't wait to stab this heathen and feed his heart to fishgod.

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
B

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Even if this guy can't actually tell if we're lying, honesty is the best policy, and I don't see any way that lying will help us.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I want to ask Jalitha if there people are part sky giant, due to there size.

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.
We might not have learned everything about El, but we know enough to say she's taught us about it.

baby picture
Aug 7, 2004

I wish I could press a button and a rope would instantly tie around my ankle and I would be hung out of the highest window of the highest skyscraper in the world
Yeah, we need to be straight with the seven-foot-tall lightning-proof monarch.

B.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

B

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

We should also stick our tongue out at Jalitha every time she calls us sweetling. We're a big boy now, not a tea cake. :colbert:

DCBomB
Sep 14, 2008

and

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009
B. No point in lying, and showing what we know of the language may impress the king.

Tudhalias
Sep 7, 2009

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Vote I. Kill Jalitha with the tooth and run back home

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Arkanomen posted:

Vote I. Kill Jalitha with the tooth and run back home

Counterpoint:

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Hahah, I've been joking about it in IRC the last few updates but been half-serious, but we totally are nephilim. They are talking about a "child of El" now, and we were never promised to be a mortal, just in the mortal world.

The people we're going with are also MASSIVE and makes me think all of them have a bit of sky giant in them.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

"Yes" you say in the outsider's language. The man standing next to Jalitha seems surprised, Tudiya laughs and turns to Jalitha and says something, Jalitha nods and smiles at you and then says something else to Tudiya, who in turn, says something else to Jalitha.

Jalitha looks back to you. "He says sweetling, he wants to know who El is, tell him about El."

This is a freeform question! Next update is tommorrow. The winning answer, or combination of answers, will win. You don't each need to write your own answer, you can copy someone elses to throw support behid it, or, write your own if you want to.

For this one, you are limited to the information currently available in the thread.

You have a number of years of learning stories from Jalitha and also from your father. After this question, any time you want additional information from your "stories", you can post a question along the lines of "Do dads stories tell me anything about this? Is this person/place/thing from any of the stories Jalitha told me? How would X character from those stories feel about this?" and so on.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 29, 2013

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

SerSpook posted:

Hahah, I've been joking about it in IRC the last few updates but been half-serious, but we totally are nephilim. They are talking about a "child of El" now, and we were never promised to be a mortal, just in the mortal world.

The people we're going with are also MASSIVE and makes me think all of them have a bit of sky giant in them.

Makes sense. King Og was rumored to be the last of the Nephilim, if I remember correctly.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Say " I'm not sure. I'm scared, my dad died. I want my mom. Please Help " In as much of the forgein language as we can We just saw our father die, we are ripped from our home and mother, brought before a scary king. We are child, so its okay to act like one.

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

B

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Arkanomen posted:

Say " I'm not sure. I'm scared, my dad died. I want my mom. Please Help " In as much of the forgein language as we can We just saw our father die, we are ripped from our home and mother, brought before a scary king. We are child, so its okay to act like one. [/b]

This, also ask Jalitha what the hell is going on.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Say:

El is the leader of the sky-giants, king and father of them all, who rules the world. His spear is Smattas, whom thunders when he fights. Another is Maranal, who blesses Smattas with lightning and heals the sick. Labaras was a giant of the land, who founded the Big Village Baitel; his children founded other places, such as Zepath.

The giants never fight, for they all serve El. They may trick one another, but never truly engage in conflict. The world contains monsters, that El and his giants protect us from, as you have protected my mother and I on this day from the demon that had been worshiped.

When in danger, ask El to save you, and he shall.

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 29, 2013

Tudhalias
Sep 7, 2009
Sob incoherently and point vaguely upwards. If we're just too badass to do that, say "He lives there *wave upward* and helps good people, so we ask him for help."
If he's hunting heresy, let him choke on generalities!

Edit: No, screw it, go big or go home (which is wracked by earthquakes and possibly being eaten by an angry fish-god). Say as much as we can manage of what I posted downthread.

Tudhalias fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 29, 2013

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Maybe it's like a philosophical question that they're seeking an answer to.

"El is the storm that comes." is a delightfully mysterious and prophetic answer, just in case we're somehow the angelbaby of El or something.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Disargeria posted:

"El is the storm that comes." is a delightfully mysterious and prophetic answer, just in case we're somehow the angelbaby of El or something.

gently caress it, I'm going with this. Let's be cryptic.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

SerSpook posted:

Say:

El is the leader of the sky-giants, king and father of them all, who rules the world. His spear is Smattas, whom thunders when he fights. Another is Maranal, who blesses Smattas with lightning and heals the sick. Labaras was a giant of the land, who founded the Big Village Baitel; his children founded other places, such as Zepath.

The giants never fight, for they all serve El. They may trick one another, but never truly engage in conflict. The world contains monsters, that El and his giants protect us from, as you have protected my mother and I on this day from the demon that had been worshiped.

This

Kyyp
Jan 14, 2007

SerSpook posted:

Say:

All of this, but with less detail and in an 11 year old's vocabulary. I doubt we'd be too well-spoken so soon after what happened in the village.

EDIT: Gotta go with the rhyming one down below instead.

Kyyp fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 29, 2013

OrangeOrbit
Apr 27, 2008
Fun Shoe

Disargeria posted:

I like this one. It could set us up as much more interesting to him than just a savage boy who knows some of his religion.

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

Disargeria posted:

Either this, or
El is giant pussy, and Asherah could totally take him in a fight.

We're a teenager in our society, we should be acting like a little rear end in a top hat.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Kyyp posted:

All of this, but with less detail and in an 11 year old's vocabulary. I doubt we'd be too well-spoken so soon after what happened in the village.

Serspook's spiel in eleven year old speak.

edit: CHanging vote to Tudhalias' sick rhymes about El. Changed to Maxhush's funny quip about how El punishes people with lightning, and our Dad shot lightning.

Deadly Ham Sandwich fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 29, 2013

Tudhalias
Sep 7, 2009

SerSpook posted:

Say:

In our head at least, it should sound like this:

El, all-knowing, seeing all
El, All-father, towering tall,
Tall from heaven, giants' home
O'er the land his giants roam
Roam and seek what is not right
Seek and smite with righteous might!
Smattas smites and thunder throws!
From firm Labaras Baitel grows!
Marnal forges bolts of flame,
Heals the harmed and lifts the lame.
Monsters lurk around us, hid,
So upon our knees we bid:
Aid us El! All-seeing king!
Save us from the harm that rings
Us round and round, O Sky Giants, hear!
Find us in our hour drear!
Find and aid as El would will!
From atop your heav'nly hill!
Aid us all, as El would will!

(Several edits later: I couldn't find any solid info on Maranal so I didn't include him)
(Several posts and an edit later than that: I'm dumb! MaranalMarnal now included!

Tudhalias fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 29, 2013

XOXO
Mar 8, 2013

Ask me about being weaker than a 60 year-old British woman.
voting SerSpook Voting Tudhalias

edit: please ignore this post and see my later vote post.

XOXO fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 29, 2013

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Changed my mind: Tudhalias has my vote. Sorry, SerSpook.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
El is the Storm that Comes.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

El is King of the Sky Giants, who save women and children from the monsters :downs:

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

SerSpook posted:

The world contains monsters, that El and his giants protect us from, as you have protected my mother and I on this day from the demon that had been worshiped.

The rest of the description is fine, but not this part.

Let's at least try to stay in character.

quote:

You have decided that you believe in BOTH the gods of your people and in Jalitha's Sky Giants, at least for now and when the men of the village went away, prayed to all of them that Jorah would return safely. So far, he has.

This, plus the fact we already voted to take our Asherah studies more seriously, plus the fact we've heard Asherah during our drowning, plus the fact we've seen Asherah's power in the form of our dad shooting lightning bolts, plus the fact we've seen no evidence of El existing whatsoever outside of Jalitha's stories, we're just going to straight-up decide our old god was a demon and switch from part-time to full-time El worshipers? That's a little ridiculous, I think.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

^
These dudes being completely unhurt after the lightning is suggestive that El is pretty real.

Tudhalias posted:

Possibly out of an 11-year-old's reach, but in our head, it should sound like this:

El, all-knowing, seeing all
El, All-father, towering tall,
Tall from heaven, giants' home
O'er the land his giants roam
Roam and seek what is not right
Seek and smite with righteous might!
Smattas smites and thunder throws!
From firm Labaras Baitel grows!
Monsters lurk around us, hid,
So upon our knees we bid:
Aid us El! All-seeing king!
Save us from the harm that rings
Us round and round, O Sky Giants, hear!
Find us in our hour drear!
Find and aid as El would will!
From atop your heav'nly hill!
Aid us all, as El would will!

Voting this in addition to what I said. Give this first, then give the more plain-text explanation. Even if translation fucks poo poo up, it'll still impress Jalitha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013

SerSpook posted:

Say:

Voting this