Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
In. I choose Philitas of Cos, the man who allegedly died agonizing over erroneous word-usage. This is going to force me to write in an entirely foreign tone, so it should be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
In for sure. I'll be retelling the death of Harry Houdini, who claimed that he could withstand any punch to the stomach without injury. An amateur boxer took him up on this challenge, without giving him time to prepare, and ruptured his appendix.

Ceighk
May 27, 2013

No Hospital Gang, boy
You know that shit a case close
Want him dead, bust his head
All I do is say, "Go"
Drop a opp, drop a thot
Eeny-meeny-miny-mo

Overwined posted:

In. I choose Philitas of Cos, the man who allegedly died agonizing over erroneous word-usage. This is going to force me to write in an entirely foreign tone, so it should be interesting.

Does it matter if two people write about the same subject? I also started writing about Philitas of Cos.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Repeats are OK, just boring to read :P. I'll make a sign up list when i get home, it's too hard to edit that post on my phone.

Horrible Butts
May 7, 2012
In with this lucky fellow http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Hall_%28lighthouse_keeper%29

Auraboks
Mar 24, 2013

...huh?
In with Li Bai, who tried to kiss the moon's reflection and drowned.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Congratulations Crabrock, this is a great prompt.

In for this week

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
gently caress it i'm in with crocodile on a plane. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Bandundu_Filair_Let_L-410_crash

I'm going to go with one of the passengers who knew nothing prior to the incident.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
Family emergency has gotten worse, my critiques and follow ups for the contest will have to wait.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Noah posted:

Family emergency has gotten worse, my critiques and follow ups for the contest will have to wait.

Good luck dealing with that. I will work on a revision with the notes you gave me.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!
In with Clement Vallandigham.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
In with Draco, I will not mention clothes in any way, shape or form.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Trying to stop procrastinating and get writing, so count me in.

Tentative choice of 1920: Alexander I, King of the Hellenes.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
1,400 words about an unusual death?

Haha, I'm in.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Some of you need to post what you are going to write about.

Also feel free to explore the list! lots of people grabbing from the first few.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

crabrock posted:

Some of you need to post what you are going to write about.

Also feel free to explore the list! lots of people grabbing from the first few.

I don't feel I can compete with Nubile, some I'm just gonna bow out of Draco and take up David Grundman instead, if that's all right.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
gently caress it, give me William Kogut.

SpaceGodzilla
Sep 24, 2012

I sure hope Godzilla-senpai notices me~
School's out, so I'm in with the following:

quote:

2009: Taylor Mitchell, a Canadian folk singer, was attacked and killed by three coyotes, the only recorded adult person to have been killed by this species.[158][159]

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

In, and because I entered and failed to complete the last two I am going to :toxx: myself to slap down a story before deadline.

Air Marshall Mitrofan Nedelin is my chosen avatar of unlikely demise.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 10:42 on May 29, 2013

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

In before I change my mind. I'll choose a death later.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

PoshAlligator posted:

I don't feel I can compete with Nubile, some I'm just gonna bow out of Draco and take up David Grundman instead, if that's all right.

Like hell you are! Get back in the fight! It's almost like you're allergic to fun. I'm not even that good, gently caress. STOP BEING A LITTLE WEENIE.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Nubile Hillock posted:

Like hell you are! Get back in the fight! It's almost like you're allergic to fun. I'm not even that good, gently caress. STOP BEING A LITTLE WEENIE.

But now I really want to do Grundman :(

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

PoshAlligator posted:

But now I really want to do Grundman :(

Lol do both

So much virility in you.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Lol do both

So much virility in you.

Very well.

e: As long as this okay with crabrock et al.

I am going to write a short story for every entry in that list and make a short story collection 'Unusual Short Stories Inspired by Unusual Deaths'. (this is not true)

Also I will mention clothes in my Draco one just because there's a bit in my head that I like that involves mentioning them but I can't say much it's not patented yet.

PoshAlligator fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 29, 2013

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

PoshAlligator posted:

Very well.

e: As long as this okay with crabrock et al.

I am going to write a short story for every entry in that list and make a short story collection 'Unusual Short Stories Inspired by Unusual Deaths'. (this is not true)

Also I will mention clothes in my Draco one just because there's a bit in my head that I like that involves mentioning them but I can't say much it's not patented yet.

Submit both but pick the better one for us to judge add your official entry.

A whole anthology of unusual death stories would be cool.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I'm in.

quote:

In the Dancing Plague of 1518 a woman (and eventually a league of 400 people) uncontrollably danced for a month causing dozens of participants to die of stroke and exhaustion. The reason for this occurrence is still unclear.

Since the ringleader didn't actually die on the day she started the whole thing (not sure if she herself even died), I'm writing in the POV of some random mad dancer. Is that acceptable?

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Yup. First person observer is OK, but i wasn't too know what they were thinking as they saw it happen/ participated in it.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm in. Sigurd The Mighty.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Good. That is an interesting one. Remember you have 2 people who will give you an early crit if you want.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

crabrock posted:

Good. That is an interesting one. Remember you have 2 people who will give you an early crit if you want.
Thanks, yes. I'll use those.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I'm in with Alain de Moneys.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
1979: Robert Williams, a worker at a Ford Motor Co. plant, was the first known human to be killed by a robot, after the arm of a one-ton factory robot hit him in the head.

I...I can't not do this. I'm in.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Withdrawn :(

sephiRoth IRA fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 30, 2013

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Jesus, I think my flake out count is something like five now? Not a good number. Whatever. New job, new life, new writing comitment. I will be taking Qin Shi Huang.

Erogenous Beef
Dec 20, 2006

i know the filthy secrets of your heart
:siren: Thunderbrawlin' with Kaishai, as judged by the Right Honourable Chairchucker :siren:

Mortimer & The Drainpipe Dilemma (1,325 words)

Mortimer the Plumbing Fairy finished his masterwork and flipped the fountain on, drenching manicured hedgerows, prancing fae-folk and his own hairy beer-gut alike. Spouts he’d tuned for gentle spirals instead spewed frothy geysers, painting a dreadful rainbow across the summer sky.

A stray stream lanced towards Lord Tuffy, who dozed beside his prized catnip bush. One yellow eye popped open just before the gusher struck his face.

Mort dove for the pipes and wrenched them closed, sweating. This can’t be happening! The fountain should’ve been a raindrop waltz colorfully caressing the garden, not a nightmarish deluge. He bit his nails; maybe no one had seen the mistake. They wouldn’t judge him. He could still win them over, with a few adjustments.

The ground yanked away from him and Mort swung in midair, hanging by his collar beneath a waterlogged feline jaw. He sagged. “Sorry, Lord Tuffy.”

The cat carried Mort away from the fountain, soggy paws squelching with each step. “I say, you’ve done it this time.”

“I thought the garden needed something pretty.”

“Truly, you’re a fairy of many talents. Look, it was quite a success.” The cat swung his muzzle towards a flower bed. Uprooted geraniums splayed across pavement and the catnip bush lay upended, roots washed clean. “No, Mort, I’m afraid I’ll have the real fairies clean up your mess.”

The cat stopped over a concrete tunnel leading downwards into darkness. Muddy runoff from Mort’s watery mishap trickled down the storm drain and Tuffy hung Mort over the abyss.

“Hey, I can’t fly, you know that!” Mort grabbed onto wet fur and waggled his droopy wings. Blasted things hadn’t worked right in years.

“Back where you belong. Ta ta.”

Mort fell.

#

Deep beneath the garden, Mort trudged blindly to a junction and touched a pipe. Too cold, too much flow. He shoved wrench onto valve and twisted. Something fluttered and splashed nearby.

Odd. A leak?

He groped towards the noise. It wouldn’t do having a busted pipe down here. The others may not see it, but the smooth flow of fresh water would one day earn him his ticket to return topside, he just knew it.

Fur mashed into his face and a screech echoed through the sewer. “Plumber fairy?”

“Who’s asking?” Mort snatched a flashlight from his toolbelt. A dark-eyed bat shifted from foot to foot, head cocked to one side. “The heck are you doing down here?”

“I’m Skag. A plumber fairy got tossed down here the other day. That you?”

“You see any others?” Mort tucked away his wrench. “What do you want? I’m busy.”

“I got a job for you. Something to get back at them that’s wronged you. Get ‘em real good. What d’you say?”

Mort snorted. “I’m pretty busy trying to keep stuff flowing for the fairies topside. So if you’ll excuse me.”

“Really? Even after they tossed you down in the muck?”

“I work down here. It’s no big deal.” Mort plodded back towards the pipe junction. “They appreciate what I do.”

“Do they really? They ever say thanks? Good job? Well done?”

Mort stopped.

“Aw, Morty.” Skag sidled up, laid a hand on Mort’s shoulder. “Tell you what. You thirsty? There’s a whole crew who’d love to meet you.”

“Would they?”

“Sure. What d’you say we get a cold one? I’ll introduce you. You’ll be the talk of the tavern. Cross my heart.”

Mort smiled. “Well, I could go for one drink.”

“Attaboy. We can talk business later.”

#

Mort hoisted himself up to the lip of the storm drain and peered over. Garden fairies lazed on leaves, sipping dewdrops, and Tuffy lay on his back beneath a tree, his proud thick fur heat-frizzed. No one watched the grate, and, of course, why would they? None of them cared about the hard work he did down there.

He pulled himself topside, plucked a key from his toolbelt, jammed it into a keyhole and twisted. Rusty gears howled as thick metal plates sealed the storm drain.

Mort raced to a hedge and dove in. A cicada ceased buzzing and stared at the droop-winged fairy cowering in the dirt, but nothing else happened. By the earth, Skag was right, they really didn’t care!

Jaw clenched, Mort marched to the fountain and wrenched valves open. Days of careful adjustment paid off; beautiful streams of fresh cold water sprang into the air, splattering back into the basin, just where they belonged. Mort ran for higher ground and clambered atop a tall stone bench.

The fairies drifted from their mossy hillocks and leaf beds to the lip of the giant stone fountain. After a moment’s staring, they danced in the cooling mist. Even Tuffy padded over and sat in the cool spray wafting from the jets.

Across the garden, Skag hung upside-down from a shaded branch with his wings folded over his head. Presently, he lifted a claw and shot Mort a thumbs-up.

As the sun dipped to the horizon, the frolicking fairy folk continued to play in the refreshing spray as water lapped the basin’s lip. Mort smirked. The flood would begin soon, better get going.

The branches of Skag’s tree were empty. Indeed, no furry bundles lurked in any of the garden’s darker corners.

“So, Mort, was it you who did this?” Tuffy loomed over Mort, whiskers twitching.

“Did what? I didn’t do nothing. Just coming up for air.” Dark wings drew Mort’s eye skywards. Skag was airborne, circling over the garden.

“Nonsense, who else knows how to fix that thing?” The cat patted Mort’s head with a paw.

“Thanks, I guess.” Mort waved to Skag. Down here, you moron, come pick me up. That was the deal!

A trickle of water crested the stone basin and slopped over the side. One last lazy loop and Skag flitted away, vanishing beyond the trees. Mort ground his teeth. Never trust a goddamned bat.

“Tuffy, quick, get everyone away from the fountain.”

“What’s this? It’s a delightful refreshment. You can’t expect us to forego—“

Thunder split the sky and dark sudden clouds poured down bucketfuls of rain. Denied drainage, water inundated the garden. Fairies launched into the air, only to be knocked back into the rising flood by downpour’s sheer force. Peals of laughter twisted into screams for help.

“Good heavens. Mort, do something!”

Mort pointed. “We have to get to the storm drain. Swim me over there.”

“Swim?” Tuffy shuddered, droplets flying from his fur. “In the water?”

Shedding his toolbelt, Mort dove into the churning floodwaters, a key clenched between his teeth. Currents pulled him under, shoved dirt and bark up his nose, and hurled him against bush and stone, but he fought on.

When he made it to the drain the water was thrice his height and still rising. He sucked in air and dove. He shoved key into lock, strained against it. His breath soured in his chest and he spewed bubbles, screaming at the damned machine to budge.

The lock clicked, the grate unsealed.

Floodwater flew down into the abyss and Mort hugged the keyshaft. His breath burst from his chest and he swallowed a mouthful of muddy water. One by one, fingers peeled away from the key.

A fat paw pressed him to the ground, the vicious current still tearing at him. Vision darkening, he thrashed and slurped in more muck.

The last of the water drained away. Mort coughed up mud and drank storm-freshened air.

“Dear me, you almost got away from us there.” Tuffy stared down at Mort. “How on earth did this happen?”

Mort wiped leaf-bits from his lips and spluttered. “I didn’t mean to hurt anyone. I’m sorry.” He coughed again. “But everyone’s okay, right? They saw how beautiful it was.”

Tuffy sighed and shook his dripping head. “Mort, whatever will we do with you?”

Mortimer P. Fairy is currently serving a fifteen year sentence in a maximum-security federal penitentiary.

Kaishai
Nov 3, 2010

Scoffing at modernity.
The Glass Heart
(1,071 words)
(For my Thunderbrawl with Erogenous Beef. Prompt: Write a fairytale without inspiring resentment in Chairchucker.)

A young man lived in a castle of glass. It was the only home he'd ever known, and he had little curiosity about the world outside. Everything he thought he needed lay within the walls, including the etched tablets that had taught him to read, to figure, and to work magic with sand and fire.

For companionship, he had birds: talking glass birds of many species flew in his hallways, brilliant in the sunlight, shimmering under the stars. The mockingbird was his particular friend. She played games with him as he grew up; she told jokes that made him laugh; she defended him when other birds, even those larger than herself, pecked at him in some fit of temper.

One morning, the young man walked with the mockingbird on his shoulder. They sang a duet until the crash of breaking glass interrupted their music. The young man ran in the direction of the sound and startled the woman who stood amidst the shards of a vase in his grand hall.

He had never seen a human other than himself. Her hair was a dark brown threaded with copper, and none of his birds had plumage quite like it. She carried a sack slung over her shoulder; as she got over her surprise, her full lips curved in a smile. "I'm so sorry! I didn't realize anyone lived here! And then I heard singing, and I turned around too fast, and--" She gestured at the pieces at her feet.

"I can fix it," the young man said. "Step back, please."

She did; her blue eyes flicked toward the glass mockingbird. "What a pretty ornament," the woman said.

The young man picked up two of the large fragments and fit them back together, then he spoke the words of mending. The line between the pieces glowed white. Molten glass flowed, then cooled at another word from him, and the shards were seamlessly joined. He did this with every piece until the vase was whole again.

"Your magic is wonderful," the woman said. "Would you show me your castle, sir? I've always wanted to see inside. Would you tell me about yourself?"

The mockingbird whispered in his ear, "I don't trust this stranger."

But the woman's voice fascinated the young man: it was lower and softer than anything from a glass throat. He bobbed his head and led her on a tour of his home.

He brought her to his atrium and orchard. Apples, peaches, pears, cherries, lemons, oranges--all fruits flourished there in all seasons, and the young man shared plums and tart raspberries with his guest. Several birds flitted in to get a look at the visitor, but the miniature peacock didn't strut for her, nor would the canary sing. The mockingbird perched on a low branch, where she could keep an eye on events.

He showed the woman his conservatory, and he played her a song on the glass flute. He sat with her in his parlor, though she didn't seem to like the glass chairs. He would have taken her to the library, but she protested. "I've had a lovely time." The berries had stained her mouth a fine red. "But now I must be going."

The young man felt hollow when she had gone. Loneliness was so foreign to him that he didn't recognize it. He returned to the atrium to look for the mockingbird, but she wasn't there--nor was the peacock or the canary. He searched the whole castle in increasing distress, and even with the glass hummingbirds lending their aid to the hunt, he couldn't find those three friends.

So he did as he had never done: he left his shining castle and took the long road down the mountainside, through a forest, to the nearest village of people, and he found the woman there, sitting on a bench outside an alehouse with her bag at her feet. When she smiled this time, he saw only teeth.

"Give them back," he said.

She said, "No, I don't think I will. Your pretty birds will bring me a lot of pretty coin--well, except maybe for this one."

She bent and pulled the mockingbird out of her sack; the bird's sooty wings were bound with twine. "I wouldn't have bothered to take this drab thing, but it attacked me when I picked up the peacock. How stupid! Do you want it back?"

The young man saw the mockingbird's fear in her glossy brown eyes, and he couldn't speak. He held out his hand in a wordless plea. The woman dropped the mockingbird to the ground and set her boot on the little grey body. The young man found his voice: "No, please--"

The woman stood and stomped on the mockingbird with all her strength. His best friend exploded in a crash of splinters and dust.

"Will you chase me?" the woman taunted him. "Or will you stay here and try to put the bird back together again?"

But mending wasn't the only thing the young man's magic could do.

Pointing at the woman, he spoke the words of glass, and she became glass. Her blue eyes gleamed like marbles; the sunset light glowed through her hair. She was perfect, except for the deep flaw in her heart. When she opened her mouth to scream, her heart exploded in her breast, and deep cracks shot outward to split her body. She fell in jagged fragments to the dirt.

The young man released the canary and peacock. He gathered the shards of the woman and put them in the bag with dry eyes, but he wept over the tiny fragments of the mockingbird, no longer recognizable as anything at all.

Nevertheless, he gathered them too, and he took all the pieces back to the glass castle.

He put the woman back together, save for the shard over the hollow place in her breast. He made a careful pile out of what remained of the mockingbird, and he cupped a hand over the slivers as he spoke the words of remaking.

The splinters flowed together into a soft-grey heart.

The young man placed the heart in the woman and covered it with the final shard. Then he spoke the words of love, and the glass woman opened glossy brown eyes. She smiled her first real smile, as white as the bar on a mockingbird's wing.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

OK cool I will read those when I get home from work this arvo.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

sebmojo posted:

In, and because I entered and failed to complete the last two I am going to :toxx: myself to slap down a story before deadline.

Air Marshall Mitrofan Nedelin is my chosen avatar of unlikely demise.

You need a toxx-clause punishment for yourself

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Standard is a ban, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Has anyone taken Worth Bingham? If not he's mine.

1978: Janet Parker

CancerCakes fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 30, 2013

• Locked thread