Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Idiot
Mar 15, 2001
Voting for the basic, redacted version. Fishgod must remain greatest in our heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
"El and his giants save women and children from danger. No matter how grim the odds, they always triumph over evil. You and your people saved me and Jalitha, so YOU must be El".

Zybourne Clock fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 29, 2013

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
El is the storm that comes

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

the_steve posted:

El is King of the Sky Giants, who saves women and children from the monsters

Voting for this, seems much more manageable for a 11 year old than rhyming couplets. And I don't want to denounce Asherah.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

Tudhalias posted:

El, all-knowing, seeing all
El, All-father, towering tall,
Tall from heaven, giants' home
O'er the land his giants roam
Roam and seek what is not right
Seek and smite with righteous might!
Smattas smites and thunder throws!
From firm Labaras Baitel grows!
Monsters lurk around us, hid,
So upon our knees we bid:
Aid us El! All-seeing king!
Save us from the harm that rings
Us round and round, O Sky Giants, hear!
Find us in our hour drear!
Find and aid as El would will!
From atop your heav'nly hill!
Aid us all, as El would will!

I'm down w/this.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

SerSpook posted:

Say:

El is the leader of the sky-giants, king and father of them all, who rules the world. His spear is Smattas, whom thunders when he fights. Another is Maranal, who blesses Smattas with lightning and heals the sick. Labaras was a giant of the land, who founded the Big Village Baitel; his children founded other places, such as Zepath.

The giants never fight, for they all serve El. They may trick one another, but never truly engage in conflict. The world contains monsters, that El and his giants protect us from, as you have protected my mother and I on this day from the demon that had been worshiped.

When in danger, ask El to save you, and he shall.

We are good at memorizing stories, so vocabulary is not an issue. We are just quoting from stories. It should read like strung together quotes we have memorized, which this mostly does. In addition, our model is that if we do not get the story right we will be beaten. We have been conditioned in this way. These things should be said as if repeating a lesson, with short pauses between the different ideas.

I would delete the line:
"as you have protected my mother and I on this day from the demon that had been worshiped."

It is a bit over the top and not a story quote.

Instead, we might add after a brief pause, thus sealing our fate forever:
"El never me spoken same Asherah has."

And...
"For pray El beaten much. Pray for men come back. Men come back".

These are not quotes from stories, so our use of their language is rougher.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Going with disaregia's cryptic response. El is the storm that comes. Our fishy demon god warned of this moment!

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 29, 2013

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Tudhalias posted:

In our head at least, it should sound like this:

(Several edits later: I couldn't find any solid info on Maranal so I didn't include him)
Whether we say this or not, this is great. We do know how to pray to El apparently. We could just say some form of prayer we have learned. Still want the two lines about Asherah and when we prayed...

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Genpei Turtle posted:

The rest of the description is fine, but not this part.

Let's at least try to stay in character.

This, plus the fact we already voted to take our Asherah studies more seriously, plus the fact we've heard Asherah during our drowning, plus the fact we've seen Asherah's power in the form of our dad shooting lightning bolts, plus the fact we've seen no evidence of El existing whatsoever outside of Jalitha's stories, we're just going to straight-up decide our old god was a demon and switch from part-time to full-time El worshipers? That's a little ridiculous, I think.

Pretty much what the Turtle said. The other votes can't be serious; we're not going to launch into a pious and eloquent sermon on the merits of the great saviour El, straight out of someone's prayer-book, while simultaneously renouncing everything we've known and fully believed in previously, as a young kid who's just been ripped violently out of familiarity and security. I cannot believe that's a serious suggestion, and as cool as the little poem is, do we really have the capacity or talent, nevermind the current clarity of mind and composure, to start making up entreating poems on the fly? Maybe if it's an established poem, that Jalitha's taught us, that we can maybe stammer out shakily half-remembered, sure, but come on, when did we switch from 'traumatized kid, burgeoning priest of Asherah' to loving Rudyard Kipling?

Yeesh, tell them he's boss of the sky giants, and worshipped by the people of the land, and who rules over them the way Asherah rules the sea. Say he must be pretty important, otherwise Asherah wouldn't have let him manage the life that Asherah spawned upon the land that he brought forth from the ocean.

Keep in mind we have no reason to doubt what we've 'learned' of Asherah; whatever we think of El we must have someone reconciled it in our head with what we 'know' of Asherah.

Althair
Jul 26, 2006
words are weapons
The Tudhalias Psalm

Globofglob
Jan 14, 2008
I'm voting for El is the storm that comes, leader of the sky giants. We don't need a flowery rear end sermon. If anything I'd vote break down into a crying mess, but that doesn't seem to have many votes.

drat foreign demons tryin to convert us...

Tudhalias
Sep 7, 2009

Sogol posted:

Whether we say this or not, this is great. We do know how to pray to El apparently. We could just say some form of prayer we have learned. Still want the two lines about Asherah and when we prayed...

Your wish...
"From my village home we run
From the all-devouring one,
God that dwells beneath the sea,
Of my father's fealty.
In days past, and even now,
When to help we knew not how,
Then we pray for those we love
Pray to El and those above."

edit: "Also, king of mighty power,
In our prayerful, pious hour,
Oft prayed to Asherah,
Don't like that? Well TOO BAD! Hah!
Do I fear your mighty knife?
Or your power to take my life?
I've confessed my fishy hope,
So for me, that's a big 'nope.'"

(I am not voting we say either of these things, everything in this post is for comedy value)

Tudhalias fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 29, 2013

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Theglavwen posted:

Pretty much what the Turtle said. The other votes can't be serious; we're not going to launch into a pious and eloquent sermon on the merits of the great saviour El, straight out of someone's prayer-book, while simultaneously renouncing everything we've known and fully believed in previously, as a young kid who's just been ripped violently out of familiarity and security. I cannot believe that's a serious suggestion, and as cool as the little poem is, do we really have the capacity or talent, nevermind the current clarity of mind and composure, to start making up entreating poems on the fly? Maybe if it's an established poem, that Jalitha's taught us, that we can maybe stammer out shakily half-remembered, sure, but come on, when did we switch from 'traumatized kid, burgeoning priest of Asherah' to loving Rudyard Kipling?

Yeesh, tell them he's boss of the sky giants, and worshipped by the people of the land, and who rules over them the way Asherah rules the sea. Say he must be pretty important, otherwise Asherah wouldn't have let him manage the life that Asherah spawned upon the land that he brought forth from the ocean.

Keep in mind we have no reason to doubt what we've 'learned' of Asherah; whatever we think of El we must have someone reconciled it in our head with what we 'know' of Asherah.

We just saw a high priest of Asherah completely impotent before the power of followers of El. He threw lightning, and all it did was temporarily disable two dudes.

gently caress Asherah is what I'd be thinking in this situation, he's a dick anyway. Gonna go worship El.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

SerSpook posted:

Say:

El is the leader of the sky-giants, king and father of them all, who rules the world. His spear is Smattas, whom thunders when he fights. Another is Maranal, who blesses Smattas with lightning and heals the sick. Labaras was a giant of the land, who founded the Big Village Baitel; his children founded other places, such as Zepath.

The giants never fight, for they all serve El. They may trick one another, but never truly engage in conflict. The world contains monsters, that El and his giants protect us from, as you have protected my mother and I on this day from the demon that had been worshiped.

When in danger, ask El to save you, and he shall.

Changing my vote: I'm voting for this, sans last two lines

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Half-wit posted:

This

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Tudhalias posted:

(Several edits later: I couldn't find any solid info on Maranal so I didn't include him)

This wins. A vote for Tudhalias

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

The couplets are awesome and better fit a primitive culture with an oral tradition than prose, but we also worship Asherah so lets trim out the bits about calling on El for help. Changes are bolded and I slipped in a mention of hair cutting.

Tudhalias posted:

Marnal forges bolts of flame,
Heals the harmed and lifts the lame
El's children, hair cut short,
in their need ask his support:

Maranal is sometimes spelled Marnal :iiam:

Edit: pulled in Tudhalias change. He's awesome and way better at this.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 29, 2013

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Genpei Turtle posted:

This, plus the fact we already voted to take our Asherah studies more seriously, plus the fact we've heard Asherah during our drowning, plus the fact we've seen Asherah's power in the form of our dad shooting lightning bolts, plus the fact we've seen no evidence of El existing whatsoever outside of Jalitha's stories, we're just going to straight-up decide our old god was a demon and switch from part-time to full-time El worshipers? That's a little ridiculous, I think.

I'm thinking that Asherah/El might be the same deity, just practiced differently by groups of humans. Their creation story is similar to the one in the OP, and the lightning, while bad-rear end, didn't affect the El followers. It may be that El is a superior god and protecting them, or that the magic lightning and how the warriors didn't die from said lightning is due to it all coming from the same power source, the Creator. You can blame the difference between rituals on human fallacy trying to understand their creator. I'm inferring that, based on their different histories our father and mother's respective ancestors had different experiences at the beginning of the world that reflects their religious practices. I think in our 11 year old head we might be able to reconcile Asherah and El together that fulfills our earlier vote of believing in both.

That being said:

Tudhalias posted:

Awesome poem

SerSpook posted:

^
These dudes being completely unhurt after the lightning is suggestive that El is pretty real.

Voting this in addition to what I said. Give this first, then give the more plain-text explanation. Even if translation fucks poo poo up, it'll still impress Jalitha.

Voting for all of this.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

SerSpook posted:

We just saw a high priest of Asherah completely impotent before the power of followers of El. He threw lightning, and all it did was temporarily disable two dudes.

gently caress Asherah is what I'd be thinking in this situation, he's a dick anyway. Gonna go worship El.

Eh, almost every God of every religion is a dick, that's never stopped people from worshipping them before.

I don't see the reaction to seeing somebody launch lightning from their hands as 'huh, that sure wasn't impressive, I guess everything I've ever been told was a lie'. We've also witnessed these people run away quickly after striking our dad down, perhaps suggesting to us that they were scared of what was about to follow. The fact that they managed to survive the lightning (which certainly would have been successful, were it not for this one mysterious man, with his strange skin and weapons) is intriguing, and we'd probably want to know how, or why, but we might easily be curious as to why Asherah allowed the man to survive.

Even having a legitimate crisis of faith though would still be a lot different than just assuming everything we've been taught was wrong and switching placidly and seamlessly over to fervent El worship.

HiHo ChiRho posted:

and the lightning, while bad-rear end, didn't affect the El followers.

Actually, this is a bigger question, where are people getting that the lightning didn't affect them, or was somehow impotent?

The lightning levelled the first two guys it touched; there's no indication it wouldn't have continued on to do so. There was one guy that it didn't affect, as much. It was hurting him, but because of some other secret, or his armor, or whatever, he alone managed to remain upright. Dad focused the lightning on him, as the other people were no threat, their spears passing harmlessly through him. If it weren't for The King, there's every indication the rest of them would have fallen pretty easily.

Theglavwen fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 29, 2013

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Arkanomen posted:

Say " I'm not sure. I'm scared, my dad died. I want my mom. Please Help " In as much of the forgein language as we can We just saw our father die, we are ripped from our home and mother, brought before a scary king. We are child, so its okay to act like one.

I'm going with this. If he insists, I'm voting for

Changed vote.

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 29, 2013

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
I vote for option Z:
"I want to go to sleep"

Seriously we are like 10 and this is way too much overloading of everything right now. It's sleep time.

Tudhalias
Sep 7, 2009

LLSix posted:

Maranal is sometimes spelled Marnal :iiam:

Why can I not read augh :cripes:

Thank you for catching that, but I think your meter's a touch off. If we're including Marnal, I'd suggest:

(blahblah)...Baitel grows.
Heals the harmed and lifts the lame.
Monsters lurk, etc.

(original poem above now edited to reflect)

Tudhalias fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 29, 2013

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Voting for the Tudhalias Edda, including the bit about Marnal.

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

Tudhalias posted:

Why can I not read augh :cripes:

Thank you for catching that, but I think your meter's a touch off. If we're including Marnal, I'd suggest:

(blahblah)...Baitel grows.
Monsters lurk, etc.

Voting plan poem.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

HBar posted:

Voting for the Tudhalias Edda, including the bit about Marnal.

Yeah I like the changes.

If we want justification for it, we created this rhyme to more easily remember the stuff about a god we decided to worship, and we're just using that to fall back on in a traumatic moment. As mentioned earlier, we are an oral culture, so it makes sense we'd do something like that.

Tudhalias
Sep 7, 2009

SerSpook posted:

Yeah I like the changes.

If we want justification for it, we created this rhyme to more easily remember the stuff about a god we decided to worship, and we're just using that to fall back on in a traumatic moment. As mentioned earlier, we are an oral culture, so it makes sense we'd do something like that.

And even if we only only really get the names right, and the rest comes out as something along the lines of "And, and Marnal, he's like, HEAL! and the lame person goes FOOOF" illustrated with gestures, the sense of the poem will animate our stumbling, stammering explanation with the proper spirit.

Tudhalias fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 29, 2013

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Theglavwen posted:

I think these are some good points. What we know of El, and what we know of Asherah are likely to be somewhat jumbled together, seeing as we've decided to believe in both of them from a young age. I also think that quoting an elegant poem about gods that, until now have only been a minor part of our worship while completely ignoring Asherah seems unrealistic.

I'd be more inclined to say something along the lines of what Theglavwen has suggested: Relate what we know of El and the Sky Giants, but in a manner that is mixed up in the framework of our belief in Asherah.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Tudhalias posted:

I like this one

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Let's not try and butter the guy up. Let's just explain what Jalitha explained to us. That's my vote.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!

Tudhalias posted:

(Several posts and an edit later than that: I'm dumb! MaranalMarnal now included!

Nope. We know very few words in his language, up to and including "Yes" and "Cannibal" so I would wager that we don't know even a third of those words. I would much prefer that we just explain what we know succinctly and hope that he understands our blubbering.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Voting plan Serspook and Tudhalias.

But put in a harmless lie about something, see if he picks up on it.

Changed vote, couldn't resist.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 29, 2013

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Jorahs coming to get us - The outsiders have killed his brother; A priest of Asherah, stolen his son and taken Asherah's tooth, their most holy relic. The great hunger will guide them to us. Pagams going to go Predator on these demons from the North.

Say;

El is the king of the sky giants. He and his giants send lightning to punish evil people and monsters. My Dad shot lightning at you.

:colbert:

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 29, 2013

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
We have also assumed that we are going to speak directly to the 'king' (who is wandering around in the wilderness with a couple of men and some donkeys?). Another way we could go is just play poo poo back to Jalitha and who the gently caress knows what she will say, but likely in our favor, from her point of view at least.

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.

maxhush posted:

Jorah's coming to get us - The outsiders have killed his brother; A priest of Asherah, stolen his son and taken Asherah's tooth, their most holy relic. The great hunger will guide him to us. Pagams going to go Predator on these demons from the North.

Say

El is the king of the sky giants. He and his giants send lightning to punish evil people and monsters. My Dad shot lightning at you.

This gets my vote.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Sogol posted:

We have also assumed that we are going to speak directly to the 'king' (who is wandering around in the wilderness with a couple of men and some donkeys?). Another way we could go is just play poo poo back to Jalitha and who the gently caress knows what she will say, but likely in our favor, from her point of view at least.

No we haven't, Tudiya is explicitly called the king. He claims he was given wanderlust by El for some reason, and believes it was to find and rescue us.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

SerSpook posted:

No we haven't, Tudiya is explicitly called the king. He claims he was given wanderlust by El for some reason, and believes it was to find and rescue us.

Ya, I got his story. Just saying. And my point was, we could probably say 'who the hell is this El dude you guys are babbling about?' to Jalitha in our own tongue and she would translate it as a perfect theological treatise on El.

Random Idiot
Mar 15, 2001

maxhush posted:

Say;

This is excellent, but unlikely to get enough votes to overthrow ridiculous child poems so I am sticking with the barebones version.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Sogol posted:

From what Jalitha has told you in her stories, a king is not some fat guy in a fury cloak with a golden crown who sits in a castle, castles not having been invented, obesity being pretty rare and Hapsburg style royal red cloaks also not having come into fashion. Kings feature prominently in her stories, among other heroes. A king, to your recollection, leads a large village called cities and are usually related to the land giant, Labberas. They tell people what to do and rescue people who are in danger and fight monsters and bad people. And sometimes each other.

baby picture
Aug 7, 2004

I wish I could press a button and a rope would instantly tie around my ankle and I would be hung out of the highest window of the highest skyscraper in the world

Pochoclo posted:

Let's not try and butter the guy up. Let's just explain what Jalitha explained to us. That's my vote.

Kinda boring, I admit, but same here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.
scratch that, changing my vote to not-Tudhalias.