Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

maxhush posted:

Jorahs coming to get us - The outsiders have killed his brother; A priest of Asherah, stolen his son and taken Asherah's tooth, their most holy relic. The great hunger will guide them to us. Pagams going to go Predator on these demons from the North.

Say;

El is the king of the sky giants. He and his giants send lightning to punish evil people and monsters. My Dad shot lightning at you.

:colbert:

Voting this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cxp
Mar 27, 2010
Fun Shoe

the_steve posted:

El is King of the Sky Giants, who save women and children from the monsters

Voting this. I think it sounds most like what an 11 year old can probably manage.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Diogines posted:

From what Jalitha has told you in her stories, a king is not some fat guy in a fury cloak with a golden crown who sits in a castle, castles not having been invented, obesity being pretty rare and Hapsburg style royal red cloaks also not having come into fashion. Kings feature prominently in her stories, among other heroes. A king, to your recollection, leads a large village called cities and are usually related to the land giant, Labberas. They tell people what to do and rescue people who are in danger and fight monsters and bad people. And sometimes each other.

Heck if we know this, we can just end the whole conversation by saying that we imagine he holds allegiance to Labberas and asking if that is why he is so large... Or ask if he received aid from El or Labberas today... Or something along these lines, rather than catechism.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Sogol posted:

Heck if we know this, we can just end the whole conversation by saying that we imagine he holds allegiance to Labberas and asking if that is why he is so large... Or ask if he received aid for El or Labberas today... Or something along these lines, rather than catechism.

That's kind of why I asked if they are related to sky giants.

DCBomB
Sep 14, 2008

Tudhalias posted:

Something awesome

We're eleven.
We also haven't been drilling this sort of thing.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

maxhush posted:

Jorahs coming to get us - The outsiders have killed his brother; A priest of Asherah, stolen his son and taken Asherah's tooth, their most holy relic. The great hunger will guide them to us. Pagams going to go Predator on these demons from the North.

Say;

El is the king of the sky giants. He and his giants send lightning to punish evil people and monsters. My Dad shot lightning at you.

Clever! I like it, this gets my vote, though I also like "El is the storm that comes."

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

maxhush posted:

Say;

Clever indeed. Let's do it.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

maxhush posted:

Say;

This is hilarious. Changing my vote to this.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
Voting -Tudhalias.

Look, it's a really cool poem, and I'd like it if our protagonist were unusually intelligent and insightful, but this is over the top.

Besides, think about this way: is Diogines actually going to let us say all that word-for-word? Or would we just gently caress it up somehow?

Theglavwen posted:

Pretty much what the Turtle said. The other votes can't be serious; we're not going to launch into a pious and eloquent sermon on the merits of the great saviour El, straight out of someone's prayer-book, while simultaneously renouncing everything we've known and fully believed in previously, as a young kid who's just been ripped violently out of familiarity and security. I cannot believe that's a serious suggestion, and as cool as the little poem is, do we really have the capacity or talent, nevermind the current clarity of mind and composure, to start making up entreating poems on the fly? Maybe if it's an established poem, that Jalitha's taught us, that we can maybe stammer out shakily half-remembered, sure, but come on, when did we switch from 'traumatized kid, burgeoning priest of Asherah' to loving Rudyard Kipling?

Yeesh, tell them he's boss of the sky giants, and worshipped by the people of the land, and who rules over them the way Asherah rules the sea. Say he must be pretty important, otherwise Asherah wouldn't have let him manage the life that Asherah spawned upon the land that he brought forth from the ocean.

Keep in mind we have no reason to doubt what we've 'learned' of Asherah; whatever we think of El we must have someone reconciled it in our head with what we 'know' of Asherah.

These are good points to consider. Some parts of our past are open to interpretation, such as what our village meant to us, or why we chose to take our religious studies seriously, but it's a much more clear-cut fact that we believe in both El and Asherah as gods. Acting like El is our One True Religion all of a sudden is, at best, a lie that's trying way too hard to butter these guys up- and the king claims he can tell if we're trying to trick him, remember?

Globofglob
Jan 14, 2008

maxhush posted:

Say;

Changing my vote to this. It is amazing.

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

maxhush posted:

Say;

Changing to this.

The Bad Llama
Nov 22, 2004
The coke is just for color...
I vote we say this AFTER saying the rhyming poem and prayers

maxhush posted:

Say;

Then tack on a "I don't understand what's happening." Turn to Jalitha, "Why did you say you were my mother?"

Callipygian Weasel
Apr 2, 2010

by Lowtax
El is the storm that comes.

As far as poetry vs prose goes, we're far more likely to have remembered all the details if we, at some point, came up with a rhyme to do so. If Diog assumes this is the case rather than going with the idea that we made it up on the spot, it might actually be more likely to succeed than just listing out what we know.

Callipygian Weasel fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 29, 2013

XOXO
Mar 8, 2013

Ask me about being weaker than a 60 year-old British woman.

maxhush posted:

Say;

This is a valid point. Voting Maxhush. He did kill our father. I'm still conflicted though so also voting to cry.

XOXO fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 29, 2013

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

maxhush posted:

Say;

Edit: changed vote.

But preface it with El is the storm that comes. (And include the petulant arm gesture!)

Vavrek fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 29, 2013

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Just putting it out there but our Dad only stopped after his head was disconnected from his spine! If we go back and slap his head back on he'll totally magic up again and be fine I bet! Let's tell them we forgot our toothbrush and head on back :v:.

Changing my vote to plan maxhush!

Crudus
Nov 14, 2006

maxhush posted:

Say;

I vote for this, but reject the sentiment of first part of the post.

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006

maxhush posted:

Say;

Count another vote for this.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

maxhush posted:

Say;

Yeah, why not? Vote: this!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Tudhalias posted:

In our head at least, it should sound like this:

El, all-knowing, seeing all
El, All-father, towering tall,
Tall from heaven, giants' home
O'er the land his giants roam
Roam and seek what is not right
Seek and smite with righteous might!
Smattas smites and thunder throws!
From firm Labaras Baitel grows!
Marnal forges bolts of flame,
Heals the harmed and lifts the lame.
Monsters lurk around us, hid,
So upon our knees we bid:
Aid us El! All-seeing king!
Save us from the harm that rings
Us round and round, O Sky Giants, hear!
Find us in our hour drear!
Find and aid as El would will!
From atop your heav'nly hill!
Aid us all, as El would will!

(Several edits later: I couldn't find any solid info on Maranal so I didn't include him)
(Several posts and an edit later than that: I'm dumb! MaranalMarnal now included!

This right here. This is awesome.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Changing my vote to Not Maxhush.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

maxhush posted:

Say;

Another vote.
I think we're trying to show our 11 year old level of understanding here with this one. Right? I mean, we don't really know exactly what happened, so maybe Tudiya and Jalitha will help explain things after we say this.

E: I couldn't brain last night. So much so, I couldn't tell that this was inflammatory. I thought it was more "I'm a stupid 11-year-old, I don't understand what just happened." I'm going to post a new vote.

OhYo fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 29, 2013

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009
For those saying that we're too young to come up with an awesome poem, who cares? If Dio decides that we can't pull it off then we'll end up using something we're capable of, but I think personal development is the name of the game right now. We need to strive for greatness if we're going to participate in a "Clash of the Heavens", and I think hanging around a well-traveled badass warrior king will get us there much more effectively than running back and hoping the Dad who beat us our entire lives is going to come back from the dead and somehow provide us with something better than the experience we have to opportunity to get here.

Sticking with my vote for Tudhalias

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

maxhush posted:

Changing my vote to this just to see how badly the king loses his poo poo. If he hits us we'll know he's another dadshit.

Daned
Jan 14, 2008

Tudhalias posted:

In our head at least, it should sound like this:

El, all-knowing, seeing all
El, All-father, towering tall,
Tall from heaven, giants' home
O'er the land his giants roam
Roam and seek what is not right
Seek and smite with righteous might!
Smattas smites and thunder throws!
From firm Labaras Baitel grows!
Marnal forges bolts of flame,
Heals the harmed and lifts the lame.
Monsters lurk around us, hid,
So upon our knees we bid:
Aid us El! All-seeing king!
Save us from the harm that rings
Us round and round, O Sky Giants, hear!
Find us in our hour drear!
Find and aid as El would will!
From atop your heav'nly hill!
Aid us all, as El would will!

(Several edits later: I couldn't find any solid info on Maranal so I didn't include him)
(Several posts and an edit later than that: I'm dumb! MaranalMarnal now included!

This has my vote.

Grandito
Sep 6, 2008

maxhush posted:

Say;

I would love to see King Whatever rebut this. It has my vote.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
The poem is nice and all, but there's no goddamn way we're going to be able to spit that out in a foreign tongue or have Jalitha translate it.

...let's save it for later, howbouts?

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
Im so sorry, but Not Maxhush

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Voting Maxhush. That poem just won't come across at all with the 20 words we know of their language.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

maxhush posted:

Say;

Another vote for Plan Sassy (Maxhush)

Random Idiot
Mar 15, 2001
Oh my god it might happen. Strike my previous vote for the abridged version and cast it for Plan Maxhush aka plan sassy.

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007
I'm for Plan Maxhush.

BoyG
Nov 24, 2004

Have you heard the tale of the Cannibal King of Kavodel?
Plan Maxhush all the way.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Try to educate the king about the benefits of polytheism, specifically as it relates to giant fish gods.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Another vote for Plan Sassmouth

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

BoyG posted:

Plan Maxhush all the way.

That.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
Changing my vote: maintaining El is the storm that comes. Adding plan Maxhush on top of it.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Another vote for Plan Maxhush. Sounds good to me.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

A question, so I understand your response.

quote:

You understand that this is intentionally highly provocative and insulting, as the implication is that you are calling him evil or a monster, right? I only mention that because I suspect many people might not realize that and only voted it because it was funny? I am not sure. This is also a good time to quote something from the OP.

Diogines posted:

You do not have plot armor. Bad decisions can get you killed or wreak horrible consequences which you did not intend.

I just want to be certain you understand that this response is intentionally provoking/insulting the largest, most well muscled man you've ever seen (who ate lightning and lived, after it melted a hole in metal armor) and who may be a king. If you want to say something which is very probably inflammatory, by all means, choose the path you want to take, but I don't want anyone to be shocked by the outcome of their decision.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 12:31 on May 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Well since it's coming from the team that staunchly supports our abusive father over a bunch of kind strangers/royalty/giants and our own mother, I'm really not surprised they want to get us killed.