Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Archer2338 posted:

Here's the youtube link to one of the reaction composite videos that's on the Japanese site (which you need to register for)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaYqjVJvHgk

It's not the same without the scrolling comments of the Japanese viewers laughing their asses off when the one guy just gets up and goes away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I really need to put in the effort to sign up for Nico one of these days.

Also, people record themselves watching anime now?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Blind Commentary of great moments are a thing. Imagine a blind commentary of School Days? :v:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Mercedes posted:

Holy poo poo when that titan slowly walked up to the soldiers hanging on that platform, I started getting really, really anxious. So well done.

I had the same exact reaction. I kept on thinking that something was going to go wrong. Either someone was going to fire early, or the approaching titan was going to lunge forward.

Another thing that I thought was really cool was the weird audio cutout when Jean first sees the Rage Titan. Really added to the whole "What the hell is going on?" feeling.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

People will either record their reactions to things habitually or they'll have a friend recommend that they record their reactions for a certain episode of something.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Eiba posted:

I guess I just appreciate the lack of dramatic irony as a cheap ploy to up the tension. The uncertainty of if the plan will succeed is dramatic enough and more immersive than the uncertainty of what the plan even is.
That's the opposite of dramatic irony. Dramatic irony is when the audience knows information that the characters lack, not the other way around (Unless there's another definition that I'm not familiar with.)

Jackard posted:

Some of those AoG clips are pretty great

After the Colossal titan vanishes: posted:

"What are Eotenas I hate this loving translation"
Which one is that one, I want to see! (But I fear random rear end in a top hat English spoiler comments and am too afraid to wander around.)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
One of the larger fansub groups insisted on calling them "Eotens" instead of Titans because it's more ~authentic~ or some poo poo.

Nevermind that the title of the series is literally there underscoring it in English that it's Titan, no, we're gonna call them Eoten because Jotunn!

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

One of the larger fansub groups insisted on calling them "Eotens" instead of Titans because it's more ~authentic~ or some poo poo.

Nevermind that the title of the series is literally there underscoring it in English that it's Titan, no, we're gonna call them Eoten because Jotunn!
Right, (I think that was Commie, wasn't it? Ah doesn't matter-) but I meant which Niconico video had the person complaining about it?

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

Captain Invictus posted:

I think the editor just did that because he's a big fan of classic literature and thought it sounded cool, much like the rest of the terminology (that, and the official title is pretty Engrishy anyway). I'd say I'm surprised by the totally disproportionate amount of hate something so ultimately meaningless has spawned, but this is the Internet, so I'm not really.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I could understand using Eotenas if they gratuitously threw in random german words like GuP but nope, we're going to use this and only this particular germanic word.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Does it really impact your viewing experience that much whether they're called titans, giants, eotena, or Big-rear end Dudes Who Eat People? In the end, it's just a stylistic difference.

I probably would've just called them titans if I were editing, but it's not really worth getting worked up over. I can appreciate his argument that it fits their apparent nature better, mythology-wise.

Xythar fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 29, 2013

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I like the words Jotun and Eoten. And Attack on Titan is located in Germany after all.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Phobophilia posted:

I could understand using Eotenas if they gratuitously threw in random german words like GuP but nope, we're going to use this and only this particular germanic word.

Nakama

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

I liked the joke proposal where "nakama" was changed to "bro" which ended up in precious lines such as "I COULDN'T SAVE A SINGLE BRO."

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Xythar posted:

I'd say I'm surprised by the totally disproportionate amount of hate something so ultimately meaningless has spawned, but this is the Internet, so I'm not really.

I would rather call it hilarity.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Xythar posted:

I probably would've just called them titans if I were editing, but it's not really worth getting worked up over. I can appreciate his argument that it fits their apparent nature better, mythology-wise.

I could appreciate his argument too, if their nature actually clicked mythology-wise. Too bad it doesn't really. Sure Germanic giants would have To Serve Man in their kitchen, but they were way more interested in doing other things than 24/7 looking to get their human fix.

Really it's worse than Nakama because at least obstinately refusing to translate a word for dumb reasons is more reasonable than obstinately substituting an archaic synonym from deep on the thesaurus list when a modern English word has already been provided. poo poo, at least go with giants and just add lovely manifesto pages at the beginning and end filled with your dumb Fee Fi Fo Fum musings.

Edit: This is making me sound way, way more angry about Eotenas than I am.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 29, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Xythar posted:

I think the editor just did that because he's a big fan of classic literature and thought it sounded cool, much like the rest of the terminology (that, and the official title is pretty Engrishy anyway). I'd say I'm surprised by the totally disproportionate amount of hate something so ultimately meaningless has spawned, but this is the Internet, so I'm not really.

It's just a really, really bad localization. Something that happens regularly in fan subs so it's not all that noteworthy, except for how the guy decided to explain his decision. Which was via the smuggest, most hilariously pretentious fake chatlog anyone has ever written. That instantly makes it worthy of all the scorn.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 29, 2013

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Eotenas makes me think about Revolutionary Girls. :allears:

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Which was via the smuggest, most hilariously pretentious fake chatlog anyone has ever written. That instantly makes it worthy of all the scorn.

Those were just some ramblings he wrote one day at work when he was bored that got added to the blog post because we found it amusing. I know the guy; he's a bit eccentric, but he is by no means smug or arrogant. It's supposed to be a parody of a Platonic/Socratic dialogue by the way, not a fake chatlog.

I mean honestly, if you took stuff like this seriously I don't know what to say:

quote:

(and here we should note two interesting factoids: that “jötunn” is actually cognate with “eoten,” and even more interestingly that the jötunn spring from a primeval figure named “Ymir”… also the name of a character in “The Eotena Onslaught”! Coincidence? I think not—

KA: I think so.

M: —but I’m tired of seeing you interrupt me with weird triple-hyphen dashes and this parenthetical comment has gone on quite long enough so I shall end it here)

Sorry for the derail.

Xythar fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 29, 2013

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Found this on twitter:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Xythar posted:

Those were just some ramblings he wrote one day at work when he was bored that got added to the blog post because we found it amusing.

Your sense of humor is lacking.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Xythar posted:

he is by no means smug or arrogant. It's supposed to be a parody of a Platonic/Socratic dialogue by the way

One of these things is not like the other.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Zogundar posted:

Which one is that one, I want to see! (But I fear random rear end in a top hat English spoiler comments and am too afraid to wander around.)
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm20854050

Little after a minute in, no spoilers.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 29, 2013

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Sparky works. Eotenas doesn't.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
So besides knowing a decent amount of Japanese, I also took a class in Norse mythology from John Lindow, who's literally written a lot of the textbooks people learn from, in which he went in depth into both the Poetic and Prose eddas and explained a huge number of kennings. So I'm reasonably well-grounded in the mythology.

Eotenas is probably the worst possible choice for a name, given the alternatives of Titans, or Frost-Giants, or Giants, or even Jötunn/Jötnar. Even if one thinks the author and their publisher have a poo poo sense for nuance in English, they've still got a lot of insight into their series that we don't.

I have more to say but it's not postable in the Anime thread. But drat. What a terrible idea.

Doctor w-rw-rw- fucked around with this message at 08:59 on May 29, 2013

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Zogundar posted:

That's the opposite of dramatic irony. Dramatic irony is when the audience knows information that the characters lack, not the other way around (Unless there's another definition that I'm not familiar with.)
No joke, I woke up the next day after making that post thinking, "That's the loving opposite of dramatic irony, you idiot." Wasn't going to edit a day old post at that point though. (I don't typically worry about silly posts I make days later, it was weird I thought of it at all to realize I'd made a mistake.)

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's just a really, really bad localization. Something that happens regularly in fan subs so it's not all that noteworthy, except for how the guy decided to explain his decision. Which was via the smuggest, most hilariously pretentious fake chatlog anyone has ever written. That instantly makes it worthy of all the scorn.
So basically his argument is mythological masturbation- he just wants to show off that he knows what Titans in Greek myth really were. Never mind that in English titanic is a synonym for "big", and meanings and connotations change over time. He knows the real deal. Also, he wants people to know he's cool enough to have read Beowulf.

That's silly. And Eotena is a terrible name to apply to something as a translator. You're role is trying to communicate what the audience wouldn't understand (another language), so it's kind of a bad idea to insert a word your audience has never heard before, just because you like it. If the author was going for that obscure reference, that's cool. If it was a term with appropriate cultural resonance, also cool. But just pulling out obscure poo poo to show off... possibly satisfying in a dumb pretentious way for the translator, but not a very good call.

(Man eating giants are a common theme in myths all over the world, incidentally. Not just in Beowulf.)

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

So besides knowing a decent amount of Japanese, I also took a class in Norse mythology from John Lindow, who's literally written a lot of the textbooks people learn from, in which he went in depth into both the Poetic and Prose eddas and went in-depth into a huge number of kennings. So I'm reasonably well-grounded in the mythology.
That's actually really neat! I just read his textbooks in my Norse myth class...

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Eiba posted:

That's silly. And Eotena is a terrible name to apply to something as a translator. You're role is trying to communicate what the audience wouldn't understand (another language), so it's kind of a bad idea to insert a word your audience has never heard before, just because you like it. If the author was going for that obscure reference, that's cool. If it was a term with appropriate cultural resonance, also cool. But just pulling out obscure poo poo to show off... possibly satisfying in a dumb pretentious way for the translator, but not a very good call.
Eiba-chan you just don't grok** how fan translations work.

**Grok means "approve of" in orcish

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

j4on posted:

For example, it's completely logical for the state to assume that Eren always knew he could transform into a titan, in which case the question is why didn't he say anything.

That's not logical at all. Looking at it logically it would go: Eren gets eaten -> Titan becomes abnormal -> Eren somehow survives being digested when the titan dies. There's not a whole lot of justification to say Eren had anything to do with it at all and the conservative theory would be that he was just a freak survivor. Apparently corpses get vomited up by the titans so it should be at least somewhat possible according to the general knowledge about titans. The reason the audience thinks Eren transformed into a titan is because it looked like Eren, but none of the other characters noticed so why would the state think the same thing? So it's going to take some good writing for the kangaroo court not to feel contrived.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I would have gone with "Giant Assholes" to be honest.

AnonSpore posted:

I liked the joke proposal where "nakama" was changed to "bro" which ended up in precious lines such as "I COULDN'T SAVE A SINGLE BRO."

I have never watched One Piece, is there a group that did this? I would watch that in a heart-beat.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Fingers of Fury posted:

The reason the audience thinks Eren transformed into a titan is because it looked like Eren, but none of the other characters noticed so why would the state think the same thing? So it's going to take some good writing for the kangaroo court not to feel contrived.

Looks like the guy who was giving the orders (in the preview) was the same commander who lost his nerve and abandoned the supply station. Guilt over his failure and a desire to do something, anything, to redeem his honour, perhaps?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Jackard posted:

**Grok means "approve of" in orcish

This is really missing the point but no it isn't. :colbert:

Wikipedia article on "Grok" posted:

To grok /ˈɡrɒk/ is to intimately and completely share the same reality or line of thinking with another physical or conceptual entity. Author Robert A. Heinlein coined the term in his best-selling 1961 book Stranger in a Strange Land. In Heinlein's view, grokking is the intermingling of intelligence that necessarily affects both the observer and the observed. From the novel:

Grok means to understand so thoroughly that the observer becomes a part of the observed—to merge, blend, intermarry, lose identity in group experience. It means almost everything that we mean by religion, philosophy, and science—and it means as little to us (because of our Earthling assumptions) as color means to a blind man.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Eiba posted:

So basically his argument is mythological masturbation- he just wants to show off that he knows what Titans in Greek myth really were. Never mind that in English titanic is a synonym for "big", and meanings and connotations change over time. He knows the real deal. Also, he wants people to know he's cool enough to have read Beowulf.

(Man eating giants are a common theme in myths all over the world, incidentally. Not just in Beowulf.)
Beowulf isn't even proper Norse mythology (the Eddas are the main source for that). It's basically Anglo-Saxon literature with borrowed or bastardized Norse mythological elements, written in Old English. Which despite the name is definitely not any kind of English you'd recognize, and not Old Norse. It's like translating "yakyuu" in Japanese ("baseball") as "cricket" in a non-English language.

The explanation also pretty much ignores the cross-pollination and co-opting between the Greek and Norse mythologies and others, for example, Odin<->Mercury (Wednesday is Odin's day and Mercury's day because the entities themselves were conflated at times). There's a case to be made that Baldr being Jesus got a lot of pagans to convert to Christianity, by the way, and you better believe that the conversions included preservation of pagan beliefs during the transition. So 'titans' being connected to the Norse variant of the mythology is very plausible and certainly implied by other things. I'd make a slightly stronger case in the other thread, but this is an issue with a bad anime localization. (Note: I'm being careful. This is not a spoiler and being familiar with Norse mythology doesn't help you figure the plot out, don't worry)

It's not even pulling out obscure stuff to show off. It's broadcasting that the guy who made the call is seemingly ignorant of his own ignorance. It betrays a flawed and incomplete understanding coupled with an overeagerness to reinterpret meaning. Hell, even jotnar would have been a better choice.

tl;dr: Eotenas (and its explanation) gets the language, the mythology, and implicit meaning wrong.

P.S. no special characters due to not typing this on my computer

Doctor w-rw-rw- fucked around with this message at 10:37 on May 29, 2013

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
I just like how they make a decent argument for using "Giants" instead of "Titans" but then kept going, deciding that "Giant" has connotations of being friendly so wouldn't be appropriate as if the average viewer was going go "Ah, Eotenas! I'm familiar with those scary bastards."

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

Your sense of humor is lacking.

Or maybe yours is. Are we really going to go down this road?

I'm not one of the people who claims anything free is absolved from criticism, but I see absolutely no reason to get personal about something like this. Not with me and not with the editor in question.

I don't mind if you disagree with his decisions, but have some perspective.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
If this (NSFW) is official Mikasa abs, I think we'll be seeing some very fetishy doujins popping up.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Yes, Mikasa is pretty muscular, which is also why she is heavy for her size.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

darkgray posted:

If this (NSFW) is official Mikasa abs, I think we'll be seeing some very fetishy doujins popping up.

How about we just stop here and not talk about that, hmm? :cripes:

Garnavis
Aug 25, 2011

Hey, I calls 'em like I sees 'em! I'm a whale biologist.
I hereby move that Titans/Eotenas should be referred to as "Two-Eyed Cyclopes" for the rest of this thread.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Garnavis posted:

I hereby move that Titans/Eotenas should be referred to as "Two-Eyed Cyclopes" for the rest of this thread.
I vote for "Five-fingered Anakim."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'd go with freakishly tall dwarves myself. Or Nybling if you want to be more correct.

• Locked thread